• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2009

ZZMitch

So, most Wii third-party games are crappy shovelwear, but some are pretty good and sell well and others are good yet don't sell very well. Check.

Nintendo knows how to make good games for their own system. Check.

Now, lets talk about Borderlands

Xeke

Banned
Omar Ismail said:
Your insanity aside. Being a '2 year old port' didn't stop RE4 Wii from selling very well when it was released pretty close to the release of RE5.
The fuck? They came out years apart.

AniHawk

Hero of Legend said:
Also AniHawk, you mentioned before that LKS was at 20,000 and Klonoa around 19,000, were those from last month or this month and you got it hours before the thread popped up?

Those are not up to date with last month, not that I think much would have changed. Neither one will be restocked this year, I imagine.

What about the last known numbers for Rune Factory Frontier?

It did 10k when it first came out.

gkrykewy said:
As someone else has said, that ship has long since sailed. Blu-ray is at a different point in its life cycle, and *good* standalones will be 99 bucks or lower this holiday. PS3 is no longer the de facto basic BR player.
Still shops keep pimping it with blu-ray bundles so some attraction is still there and now it´s just $299 and it does everything you know.

Dash Kappei said:
Do you mean The Dark Knight BR? I don't remember that.
What I actually remember, years and years ago, a rise on the PS2 sales supposedly because of The Matrix DVD being released.
No it was before that, it may even have been before the format war was won, November-December 2007 or so, don´t have time to search now.

I Push Fat Kids said:
Any word on LTD of

Spyborgs
Cursed Mountain
Dead Space Extraction

Pointless post incoming...

Spyborgs - sold 500 :lol in 11 days, say 2k with the price collapse
Cursed Mountain - sold 2-3k in 8 days, say 5k
Dead Space -- sold 9k in 3 days, probably below 20k or so now

So under 30k combined probably.

Kevtones

I'm still considering creating my Official Spyborgs thread months after release because I played it pretty thoroughly and genuinely enjoyed it.

doicare

AdventureRacing said:
All of the major 3rd party games are going to the PS3/360 and the wii is being given mostly shovelware and low budget games.

Despite this the wii still sells the most 3rd party software and i would say that's by a fair margin to.
In terms of overall ltd the wii has sold more 3rd party games than either the ps3 or 360 has, last time i checked in 2009 so far both the 360 and ps3 worldwide have sold more 3rd party software than the wii has.

AdventureRacing said:
Also i don't know why you are going for list wars. No one is denying that the wii is getting shit support compared to the PS3/360 all they are saying is that the wii is selling a lot of software.

The wii overall has sold a lot of software but what i am saying is it should currently be selling more 3rd party software this year.

AdventureRacing said:
The fact that the 360 and PS3 are getting a lot of support in the future does nothing to change that fact.

All this does is prove that wii games have long legs rather than blowing their load all at once. How does this in anyway discredit the figures posted?
It changes everything if the 3rd party support for the wii gets worse. If less games get released (which is what is happening now), then less people will buy a wii in the first place and current owners will buy less games because fewer games are available, it's all pretty basic.

Wii games generally do have the best legs but you seem to think that wii 3rd party sales are constant and come this time next year the amount of million selling 3rd party wii games will have increased the same amount as the year before. This is not likely to be the case, like i've already said so far this year ea sports active is the only new million selling 3rd party game released this year for the wii. Last year at this point in time the wii already had nine new million selling 3rd party games that had been released that year:
Guitar Hero: World Tour
Deca Sports
Rock Band
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures
Big Beach Sports
Rayman Raving Rabbids: TV Party
We Ski
The House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return

When all is said and done 2009 will have less new 3rd party million sellers for the wii then 2008 did and 2010 looks like it will also have less then 2008.

Allan Holdsworth said:
Pointless post incoming...

Spyborgs - sold 500 :lol in 11 days, say 2k with the price collapse
Cursed Mountain - sold 2-3k in 8 days, say 5k
Dead Space -- sold 9k in 3 days, probably below 20k or so now

So under 30k combined probably.
Wii Dead Space doesn't surprise me in the slightest though. What does surprise me is that EA thought it was a good idea.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Monty Mole said:
Wii Dead Space doesn't surprise me in the slightest though. What does surprise me is that EA thought it was a good idea.
Well, Umbrella Chronicles sold a lot, so the Wii must have a lot of hardcore users who also happen to have a PS3 or 360 and have loved the plot of Dead Space so they'd want to learn more about its backstory and also happen to love lightgun shooters so much that they'd pay $50 for one.
Flawless logic if you ask me.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I think that, perhaps, EA overestimated the public's desire for another light-gun game.

AniHawk

doicare said:
In terms of overall ltd the wii has sold more 3rd party games than either the ps3 or 360 has, last time i checked in 2009 so far both the 360 and ps3 worldwide have sold more 3rd party software than the wii has.

The wii overall has sold a lot of software but what i am saying is it should currently be selling more 3rd party software this year.

It changes everything if the 3rd party support for the wii gets worse. If less games get released (which is what is happening now), then less people will buy a wii in the first place and current owners will buy less games because fewer games are available, it's all pretty basic.

Wii games generally do have the best legs but you seem to think that wii 3rd party sales are constant and come this time next year the amount of million selling 3rd party wii games will have increased the same amount as the year before. This is not likely to be the case, like i've already said so far this year ea sports active is the only new million selling 3rd party game released this year for the wii. Last year at this point in time the wii already had nine new million selling 3rd party games that had been released that year:
Guitar Hero: World Tour
Deca Sports
Rock Band
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures
Big Beach Sports
Rayman Raving Rabbids: TV Party
We Ski
The House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return

When all is said and done 2009 will have less new 3rd party million sellers for the wii then 2008 did and 2010 looks like it will also have less then 2008.
than

spidye

grandjedi6 said:
Interesting question, ::goes collecting::

Their 1st NPD month, in order:

Pokémon Diamond (1.045 million)
Pokemon Platinum (805K)
Pokémon Pearl (712,000)
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (301.6K)
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (258,100)
Pokemon Ranger (206K)
Lost Odyssey (203.6K)
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness (202K)
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time (202K)
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (~200,000)
Spectrobes (165,000)
Demon's Souls (>150,000)
Dissidia: Final Fantasy (130,000)
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of the Sky (<113,000)
Star Ocean 4 (<70,000)
Blue Dragon (53.6k)
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (53k)
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings (49k)
The World Ends With You (43,000)
Muramasa: Demon Blade (>35,000)
Dragon Quest IV (35k)
Tales of Vesperia (33,000)
Valkria Chronicles (33K)
Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors (15k)
Blue Dragon Plus (<5,000)

wow demon souls sold more than dissidia in the first month. makes me really happy.
can someone tell my ltd of the world ends with you and mario rpg3, please?

farnham

Banned
Jocchan said:
Well, Umbrella Chronicles sold a lot, so the Wii must have a lot of hardcore users who also happen to have a PS3 or 360 and have loved the plot of Dead Space so they'd want to learn more about its backstory and also happen to love lightgun shooters so much that they'd pay $50 for one.
the thing is that the Gamecube had RE4 REmake and RE0

RE umbrella chronicles was pretty much built on the success of those titles...

farnham said:

Well that and the Resident Evil franchise is just the slightest bit bigger than the Dead Space franchise in terms of established popularity.

I love Dead Space and its "world," and I love Extraction, but the game was a bad idea from a financial standpoint.

Still loved playing it though.

Parl

doicare said:
The problem is that doesn't actually tell the whole story.

The fact is during 2009 worldwide their has only been one new million selling 3rd party game for the wii from games released this year and that game is ea sports active.

And it's not as if their is a huge amount of 3rd party wii games that are just under one million either. For the entire year the only other new 3rd party games that are close to selling over one million are:
Monster Hunter Tri
The Beatles: Rock Band
Guitar Hero 5
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games

and that's about it. If i've missed something obvious then please feel free to add to the list but i don't think their are many games you could add to that list really.

So for an entire year the console that has a significantly higher user base can only manage 5 new 3rd party million sellers and that is healthy and normal from a 3rd full year of being on the market? In comparision the 360 and ps3 with user bases only half that of wii's have already both managed 7 new 3rd party million sellers each which are:

360:
Resident Evil 5
UFC 2009 Undisputed
Madden NFL 10
Street Fighter IV
FIFA Soccer 10
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

ps3:
Resident Evil 5
UFC 2009 Undisputed
Street Fighter IV
FIFA Soccer 10
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Pro Evolution Soccer 2010
Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Conclusion: Get your act together, 3rd parties.

If Wii can keep up with 360 in third party sales, in the US, with the huge, huge differences in support levels, then I think the writing is on the wall, and opportunities are being missed with niche games and shovelware. And the longer than opportunity is missed, the more difficult it is to take advantage of that opportunity, and the less of an opportunity it becomes.

Jocchan said:
Difference is when Umbrella Chronicles came out. I think many core gamers have moved on to PS3 or 360 since then.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Monty Mole said:
Difference is when Umbrella Chronicles came out. I think many core gamers have moved on to PS3 or 360 since then.
Pretty sure House of the Dead: Overkill sold a lot better than Dead Space: Extraction, too. I am also reasonably certain that Darkside Chronicles is going to outsell Extraction by a fair margin.

The_Joint

Submit defeat Nintendo.

I am expert at these things and I no on her, the consumer has spoken;yew been kicked to the curve. Phase it, for all intensive purposes the main stream could less about you.

Yeah, helluva drug.

Jokeropia

speculawyer said:
Fanboy bullshit? I own all three of the consoles. I'm just giving you the facts.
Nope, you're giving us unsubstantiated and disproved bullshit. And you actually try to use the "I'm no fanboy, I own all consoles!" excuse. :lol
doicare said:
last time i checked in 2009 so far both the 360 and ps3 worldwide have sold more 3rd party software than the wii has.
Where did you check? Since both Nintendo and Sony (unlike MS) release total software numbers, I know that the YTD sales through September 09 are 57.6 million for PS3 and 117.01 million for Wii. Last time we got data, Nintendo's share of Wii's total software sales were around 70% in Japan, 30% in the US and 40% in Europe. Since the Japanese market is ~1/3 of what Nintendo calls Europe (UK, Germany, France, Spain) and 1/6 of the US, the overall third party share is likely significantlty larger than 50%.
doicare said:
If less games get released (which is what is happening now)
How many games have been released for Wii worldwide this year and how many were released last year? What are the numbers for PS3 and 360?
doicare said:
i've already said so far this year ea sports active is the only new million selling 3rd party game released this year for the wii.
Which are the Wii third party games that have broken a million so far this year? (From January.) Hard facts please.

Rlan

Writing up the article for PSN downloads for October, but I wanted to bring this up:

psnnov12.png

That's the Top Downloads on the American PSN update for this week. Dragon Age's Warden's Keep DLC beat World At War Map Pack 3, something nothing did in the month of October. I'd say Dragon Age is doing quite well.

Forget the South Park Dynamic theme is there ;)

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Htown said:
Pretty sure House of the Dead: Overkill sold a lot better than Dead Space: Extraction, too. I am also reasonably certain that Darkside Chronicles is going to outsell Extraction by a fair margin.
...but I doubt it will outsell Umbrella Chronicles. How many people will be willing to double dip? How many bought UC expecting a different game and got burned? Only time will tell.

farnham said:

This would be true if we could prove the bulk of UC's sales came from former Gamecube owners, but honestly I doubt this is the case.

Rlan said:
Wait, do you have a South Park dynamic theme on US PSN?
*Launches American PlayStation Store*

GeoramA

Rlan said:
Writing up the article for PSN downloads for October, but I wanted to bring this up:

http://www.gamerbytes.com/psnnov12.png

That's the Top Downloads on the American PSN update for this week. Dragon Age's Warden's Keep DLC beat World At War Map Pack 3, something nothing did in the month of October. I'd say Dragon Age is doing quite well.

FFVII #1 again.

I wish somebody at SCEA would notice this already and put up FFVIII.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Rlan said:

http://www.gamerbytes.com/psnnov12.png[img]

That's the Top Downloads on the American PSN update for this week. Dragon Age's Warden's Keep DLC [I]beat World At War Map Pack 3[/I], something nothing did in the month of October. I'd say Dragon Age is doing quite well.

Forget the South Park Dynamic theme is there ;)[/QUOTE]

This chart is very useful.

FFVII is the only PSone game that made it in the top 20. And it was higher than any of the PSN games during this week. Also, the first 8 PSN games all sold more than number two on the PSone Classics. And no PSP game sold better than the 8th best PSN game.

Truly shows the sad state of affairs for PSP games, and how much $ SE and Sony are making off of FFVII 10 years post launch.

ethelred

Rlan said:

I'd say. BioWare said that they brought in a million dollars in the first week off of DLC.

legend166 said:
The problem with the Wii's third party landscape is that we've now effectively reached the point where what is considered the highest tier of developers make pretty much nothing but violent games aimed at 18-35 year old males. And those games sell best on the 360/PS3, because that's where the audience was established 2-3 years ago.

Hm. When you put it that way, it sounds a lot simpler than all the elaborate, circuitous arguments we've been having on this forum about the issue for the past three or four years. :lol

kswiston said:
If you combined Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum (since they are basically the same game) and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Darkness/Time, Demon souls comes in at #9 this gen including handheld titles. Number 6 removing Pokemon titles altogether, and Number 3 among new IPs. That's still pretty good.

It's quite good. Putting the game into the context of stuff like Star Ocean, even, really emphasizes its success.

Opiate said:
From what we understand, EA in particular loses money on every piece of hardware sold.

Where did you get this information? This assertion doesn't line up well with the reality where we've seen both music-game publishers aggressively push large slates of instruments and push instrument bundles in preference to standalone software copies.

Pristine_Condition said:
Demons Souls says "hi."

That's word of mouth but it's not "the same thing" as the Borderlands effect, which is what BigDug13 is distinguishing here. I definitely believe that traditional word-of-mouth -- i.e. people telling their friends, audiences on messageboards, etc. that Demons' Souls is amazing -- is responsible for that game's success, and that there's nothing about PS3 that makes such WoM harder to achieve -- but the Xbox has a particular kind of diffused network effect that PS3 doesn't seem to duplicate.

XBL is very consciously arranged in order to drive up sales of the 20something-enthusiast-FPS-gamer-flavor-of-the-month title, through, basically, peer pressure in the form of the friendslist and universal game invites. I think you basically get a lot of people buying games because they have a regular crew they play with who egg them on to get in on the latest-and-greatest in a way that PSN doesn't facilitate quite as effectively.

I think word-of-mouth is a bad name for this latter effect, so you're right to draw this distinction -- PS3 clearly has a solid word-of-mouth effect boosting surprisingly quality games like DS, but Borderlands is benefiting from something a bit different on 360.

doicare

Jokeropia said:
Where did you check? Since both Nintendo and Sony (unlike MS) release total software numbers, I know that the YTD sales through September 09 are 57.6 million for PS3 and 117.01 million for Wii. Last time we got data, Nintendo's share of Wii's total software sales were around 70% in Japan, 30% in the US and 40% in Europe. Since the Japanese market is ~1/3 of what Nintendo calls Europe (UK, Germany, France, Spain) and 1/6 of the US, the overall third party share is likely significantlty larger than 50%.
I checked with my friends :D. Also to clarify, throughout my posts on this subject i have been talking about new 3rd party games released this year, in that one particular post you quoted i didn't explain properly what i was referring to. FYI those % from nintendo have changed in recent times.

Jokeropia said:
How many games have been released for Wii worldwide this year and how many were released last year? What are the numbers for PS3 and 360?
Using the wikipedia database of games 427 wii games were released in 2008 and in 2009 only 354 wii games have been released. I'll count up the 360 and ps3 games some other time as it took long enough counting up the wii totals already.

Jokeropia said:
Which are the Wii third party games that have broken a million so far this year? (From January.) Hard facts please.
I'm not exactly sure what you are asking here because i have already answered this question, so far this year from new 3rd party games released in 2009 worldwide on the wii only ea sports active has sold over 1 million.

doicare

AniHawk said:
You never use this word. It does not mean what I think you think it means.

I think that i think i know what it means, but i think you think that i think it means something else, as i was thinking you might think you think you know what i was thinking i thought i might have a rethink and change what i was thinking so you might think i was thinking something else. It's simple when you think about it.

Deku

Banned
gerg said:

sage as in
n.
One venerated for experience, judgment, and wisdom.
adj. sag·er, sag·est
1. Having or exhibiting wisdom and calm judgment.
2. Proceeding from or marked by wisdom and calm judgment: sage advice.

Shurs

ethelred said:
I'd say. BioWare said that they brought in a million dollars in the first week off of DLC.

Did Bioware release "for pay" DLC for Dragon Age the week it came out? If so, that's fucking shameful.

Xeke

Banned
Deku said:
sage as in
n.
One venerated for experience, judgment, and wisdom.
adj. sag·er, sag·est
1. Having or exhibiting wisdom and calm judgment.
2. Proceeding from or marked by wisdom and calm judgment: sage advice.

Yeah, clarify please...

ethelred

Shurs said:
Did Bioware release "for pay" DLC for Dragon Age the week it came out? If so, that's fucking shameful.

Yes. Two pieces, actually, released the day the game came out. One piece of DLC cost 15$, but it was free with new copies of the game. Then there was a 7$ set of DLC which has apparently sold quite well.

Rez said:
I think that, perhaps, EA overestimated the public's desire for another light-gun game.

Wait, wait wait.

The dead space wii game is a light gun game!?!?

Nobody told me, and I didnt get that from the ads....

Now IM interested!

Is it better than HOD: Overkill?

AniHawk

doicare said:
I think that i think i know what it means, but i think you think that i think it means something else, as i was thinking you might think you think you know what i was thinking i thought i might have a rethink and change what i was thinking so you might think i was thinking something else. It's simple when you think about it.

Stay perfectly still. Only I may dance.

Top Bottom