• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2009

Averon

With the lackluster performance of music games at retail recently, is it safe to say that the days of yearly iterations are numbered? Surely no retailer would be insane enough to buy all that plastic next year after how GH5 and RB:Beatles performed?

Fredescu

Averon said:
Surely no retailer would be insane enough to buy all that plastic next year after how GH5 and RB:Beatles performed?
Publisher: "Don't stock our plastic, don't stock CoD7/Madden 2012"
Retailer: *buys plastic*

Opiate

Tiktaalik said:
I love it when GAF handwrings about the state of 3rd party Wii software.

Neither "side" is particularly content with the situation. Wii owners are discontent with the state of third party output on the system, while "HD console" owners seem to dislike the empirically inevitable conclusion that third parties should have put more focus on the system (even if they didn't).

That's assuming profit is their motive, which in some cases will not be their exclusive concern.

Fredescu said:
Publisher: "Don't stock our plastic, don't stock CoD7/Madden 2012"
Retailer: *buys plastic*

I'm not so sure about this, Fred. From what we understand, EA in particular loses money on every piece of hardware sold.

Major publishers, no matter how large, can only throw their weight around so much, particularly when Retailers have leverage against them to reciprocate. If I were a publisher, I'm not sure I'd blow my yearly allotment of leverage in order to push a game I could lose money on.

You could be right -- I'm not insisting I understand what will happen.

Tiktaalik

Averon said:
With the lackluster performance of music games at retail recently, is it safe to say that the days of yearly iterations are numbered? Surely no retailer would be insane enough to buy all that plastic next year after how GH5 and RB:Beatles performed?

One thing is for sure is that there's got to be some move to de-emphasizing the special edition peripheral content. The publishers here have to find out what is the market for new entrants that need peripherals and what is the market for people to simply upgrade and they need to scale their budgets accordingly.

As usual it seems like Nintendo got it right here with the upgrade to their expensive peripheral device, Wii Fit. Wii Fit Plus seems to have been emphasized as an upgrade product, with the game itself pushed at a cheaper price. I believe, unless I'm mistaken, that the boxed Wii Fit balance board was upgraded to contain Wii Fit Plus instead of Nintendo adding a new Wii Fit Plus 2 SKU.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Archie said:
It sold less than 132,400 in September and GH5 sold 81,000 combined in October. Even if the Wii version sold 132,400 in September and every copy of GH5 sold in October was the Wii version, it would only cap out at ~213k

I can see the smile on your face as you typed this out.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
painful fart said:
Don´t laugh at the LOTR boost PS3 sales argument. I remember some Sony representative some years ago talking about how they saw a peak in PS3 sales at a time no game was released, they found out it was correlated to the blu-ray release of some Batman(IIRC) movie .

Not that I would expect a significant boost thanks to LOTR, but probably some.

Do you mean The Dark Knight BR? I don't remember that.
What I actually remember, years and years ago, a rise on the PS2 sales supposedly because of The Matrix DVD being released.

Dash Kappei said:
Do you mean The Dark Knight BR? I don't remember that.
What I actually remember, years and years ago, a rise on the PS2 sales supposedly because of The Matrix DVD being released.
Didn't The Matrix DVD release before PS2? I thought it was the saviour of the DVD format, not necessarily PS2 related.

NeoUltima said:
That would be called a tying arrangement, which is illegal.

Is it actually illegal? Its done all the time, in every industry.

If it is illegal, then there are obvious loopholes. "We will supply our biggest customers first*"

*Our biggest customers are the ones who stock plastic

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Archie said:
grinch2.jpg

NeoUltima said:
That would be called a tying arrangement, which is illegal.
It's done all the time in the videogames industry. Retailers get better stock from the publishers/distis for big releases if they buy more for the lesser releases.

Why is it that everyone who has a homer avatar is completely clueless when it comes to sales-age? Seriously every time I see a homer avatar, I already know the post is going to contain ramblings that make no sense.

faridmon

BishopLamont said:
Why is it that everyone who has a homer avatar is completely clueless when it comes to sales-age? Seriously every time I see a homer avatar, I already know the post is going to contain ramblings that make no sense.
they have a Homer avatar for a reason.

actually Homer was one of the reason i got good grades in Chemistry A-level, thanks Homer

BigDug13 said:
It seems like borderlands blew up on 360 because of viral word of mouth amongst the live community. Don't think the same thing exists on ps3.

Demons Souls says "hi."

Borderlands was published by a Top 5 Publisher, with all the PR, advertising, and store shelf/weekly retailer ad inclusion power that entails. Borderlands had TV ads in primetime slots and during football games. Borderlands had advertising banners on the big gaming sites. It was also on a system with a much larger install base.

Conversely, Demons Souls was published by Atlus, which barely cracks the Top 20 in publishing. Demons Souls had zero TV advertising, and a very limited web ad presence, and on the system with the smallest install base in the US. Demons Souls did what it did almost entirely by word-of-mouth, gamer-to-gamer communication on forums like this one, and PSN friends.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
gerg said:
I would definitely call their output shit, but I'm not sure I'd call it shovelware.

TMNT: Smash-Up's inclusion in that list is dubious, for example.

Yes, Smash Up is merely a mediocre game. I was referring to their SHITTY SEASONAL SPORTS ADVENTURE CARNIVAL lineup, which is both shit and shovelware... and the bulk of their Wii sales.

gerg

Stumpokapow said:
Yes, Smash Up is merely a mediocre game. I was referring to their SHITTY SEASONAL SPORTS ADVENTURE CARNIVAL lineup, which is both shit and shovelware... and the bulk of their Wii sales.

Fair enough.

In any case, I was probably wrong to mention Ubisoft, as their current dependency on the Wii is more the result of a lack of 360 and/or PS3 software.

Pristine_Condition said:
Demons Souls says "hi."

Borderlands was published by a Top 5 Publisher, with all the PR, advertising, and store shelf/weekly retailer ad inclusion power that entails. Borderlands had TV ads in primetime slots and during football games. Borderlands had advertising banners on the big gaming sites. It was also on a system with a much larger install base.

Conversely, Demons Souls was published by Atlus, which barely cracks the Top 20 in publishing. Demons Souls had zero TV advertising, and a very limited web ad presence, and on the system with the smallest install base in the US. Demons Souls did what it did almost entirely by word-of-mouth, gamer-to-gamer communication on forums like this one, and PSN friends.
Pretty much what someone has said on every damn page of this thread. We get it.

Now, when's it officially hitting Europe!?

Monty Mole said:
Pretty much what someone has said on every damn page of this thread. We get it.

Apparently not everyone gets it, judging by the post I was responding to. This was really not the month to suggest the PS3 doesn't have a word-of-mouth community.

sfog

Tiktaalik said:
As usual it seems like Nintendo got it right here with the upgrade to their expensive peripheral device, Wii Fit. Wii Fit Plus seems to have been emphasized as an upgrade product, with the game itself pushed at a cheaper price. I believe, unless I'm mistaken, that the boxed Wii Fit balance board was upgraded to contain Wii Fit Plus instead of Nintendo adding a new Wii Fit Plus 2 SKU.

You're correct. Wii Fit Plus (disc only) was launched at $20, while the balance board bundle is either $90 or $100, I don't remember which. The original Wii Fit has been discontinued (which makes sense since Plus has everything the original does).

markatisu

Of All Trades said:
I'm not doubting that it bombed. But if it bombed at 15k or 60k or 100k or whatever (assuming it's actually a bomb; certain fans have long latched onto the notion that all that matters is whichever "publisher expectations" number makes them look the best so I don't see why that shouldn't apply here. Maybe Namco made its money on... I dunno, arcade sales, or plastic toy subsidies, or something equally ludicrous), there's still the issue of degree of bombing.

For example, NFS Shift seems to be a minor bomb. Bionic Commando was a catastrophic bomb.

Bomb is a bomb in this case, no sequel greenlit that we know of and not even any other games to use the peripheral since its released. It does not matter if it did not meet expectations or was a fantastic epic fail like Bionic Commando.

It also does not matter if Konami made a profit, it was obviously not enough to pursue the genre any future and they were the only ones who were on that platform. The peripheral was included which means they know what kind of built in audience they had for a sequel or another game.

Meanwhile the Wii got over 7 games in that same genre and time period and barely 50% were "big" sellers, but yet they keep being made

And obviously you cannot read, I did not imply anything about the HD systems having more than one game. In fact I explicitly pointed to the fact that there has been 1 game and its failure is the reason there are not more, which works to prove that DSE even moved to a system which seems to have a better hold on the 18-35 demo would have seem similar sales based on the genre.

Sipowicz

Banned
bcn-ron said:
Dead Space Extraction has some serious production values. But lol spinoff, right?

this is a terrible example. i think wii third party sales are fukd but extraction sold poorly for a host of reasons, and it deserved to

originally EA said they "were bringing hardcore franchises to the wii". this in turn became a single dead space spinoff (dead space being a fairly unpopular game that wasnt even on the fucking console). this in turn became an arcade game made by eurocom that was going to be shat out in a matter of months.

if you read the original announcement thread you can see practically every person who was loooking forward to it dismiss it outright, which is perfectly understandable. even the people who played it agree that it's short, it has a lot of recycled stuff, you can get your moneys worth out of a rental and ther's nothing to after you complete it

speaking personally it was way inferior to the proper dead space and a fucking arcade game isn't worth 10 dollars less than a proper survival horror, especially when it has all the problems i've pointed out

the conduit, which is the worst fps i've played this gen sold way more. and it's not hard to see why. EA are completely incompetent and shit on the wii

boiled goose

good with gravy
holy shit.

why are people so misinformed about the state of third party sales???

3 years into the gen and it still seems like we are in 2006.
Nintendo just released in their financial report a few weeks ago that wiis (ww) million sellers were about 20 1st party, and 40 third party. they even said third parties were doing better than on the ds on the same timeframe.

also, shovelware doesnt sell insane amounts. wiis best third party sellers this year are probably EA sports active, TW wii, Monster hunter 3, GST, beatles etc. the big third party sellers from the holiday were CODwaw and shaun white. non which are shovelware. A few party games with less than stellar producttion values and quality have seen success. Game party and carnival games for example, but for the most part, million sellers have been at the very least decent games. (that might not appeal the most to gaf demographic)

That said, wiis third party support is much worse than compared to other systems. just look at releases for this month. borderlands, brutal legend, etc. what hyped big third party games released for wii this month?

That is not to say that wiis library is unquestionably inferior. there are plenty of gens but they happen to fall in more niche genres like 2d games, puzzlers, and rail shooters. Think Muramasa, little king story, HOTD overkill, DS extraction, Boom blox BP, Zandwiki etc.

There is also the impression that there have been a ridiculous amount of exclusive Core game bombs on wii. The only titles I can think of that could possibly qualify are Madworld, Dead space extraction, deadly creatures (how many people even know what this game is?) and the conduit? (sega said they were happy with sales for TC)

What else is there? castlevania judgement, soul calibur legends? am i missing something?

AniHawk

Yikes, the Wii only created 10 more million sellers in the last six months, and only 70% of them were third party titles. That's pretty bad. It's like one a month.

As a comparison, and just talking third party here, the 360 does about two a month, and we're just talking the 360. Most publishers like to bundle PS3 and 360 sales together.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Ubisoft is a poor example on all sides for a host of reasons. Primarily that their income was dramatically down for the first half of this year. Coincidentally, their income was down by about the same percentage as their Wii percentage was up. Meaning, Wii sales were actually flat while everything else around it was just down.

Looking through everything I could find, they didn't release much of anything anywhere. Their top new release they boast as having sold "close to 900,000." That's rather bad once you split between the multiple platforms. I couldn't find evidence of even one other new release selling more than 25k a month in any scrap NPD data.

Their sales have to be coming for their back catalog. Of which, they specifically noted poor sales on the 360 and PS3 in the category in their Q1 report. The only games that made any blimp this year for them have been Shaun White in the first half of the year, their Rabbids games, and the Rainbow Six Vegas. Gold's Gym also had decent legs for a while.

Sipowicz said:
this is a terrible example. i think wii third party sales are fukd but extraction sold poorly for a host of reasons, and it deserved to

EA are completely incompetent and shit on the wii
Pretty much... To get an idea just how bad EA screwed this up... Even, Dead Rising CtyD sold into the 5-digit range in its first month.

NeoUltima

Monty Mole said:
It's done all the time in the videogames industry. Retailers get better stock from the publishers/distis for big releases if they buy more for the lesser releases.
Not in the way he is describing it. They can't refuse to sell something to someone because they don't buy something else. Obviously there are a lot of grey areas, but in the absolute terms like he was describing, it is illegal.

Tiktaalik

AniHawk said:
Yikes, the Wii only created 10 more million sellers in the last six months, and only 70% of them were third party titles. That's pretty bad. It's like one a month.

As a comparison, and just talking third party here, the 360 does about two a month, and we're just talking the 360. Most publishers like to bundle PS3 and 360 sales together.

Well that sure takes the wind out of the sales.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
speculawyer said:
Sure. Take a look at the Amazon Top 100 for Wii games:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/videogames/14218901/ref=pd_ts_vg_nav

The Modern Warfare game (Reflex) is down at slot 35 while Modern Warfare became the fastest selling game of all time on the 360 & PS3.
ARE YOU FUCKING INSANE?

IT'S A PORT OF A TWO YEAR OLD GAME COMING OUT AT THE SAME TIME AS THE SEQUEL! WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU EXPECT IT TO SELL?

BUT I GUESS NONE OF THAT MATTERS BECAUSE A DERP DERP DERP IT'S THE SAME GAME, CIRCUMSTANCES DON'T MATTER! MARKETING DOESN'T MATTER! EFFORT DOESN'T MATTER! TIMING DOESN'T MATTER! IT'S NOT SELLING AS WELL SO THE WII DOESN'T SELL GAMES!

GOD DAMNIT!

BRB KILLING SELF

Curufinwe

Pristine_Condition said:
Demons Souls says "hi."

Borderlands was published by a Top 5 Publisher, with all the PR, advertising, and store shelf/weekly retailer ad inclusion power that entails. Borderlands had TV ads in primetime slots and during football games.

Exactly. I saw a Borderlands ad during the Green Bay - Minesota game on Fox which had 30 million viewers.

Htown said:
ARE YOU FUCKING INSANE?

IT'S A PORT OF A TWO YEAR OLD GAME COMING OUT AT THE SAME TIME AS THE SEQUEL! WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU EXPECT IT TO SELL?

BUT I GUESS NONE OF THAT MATTERS BECAUSE A DERP DERP DERP IT'S THE SAME GAME, CIRCUMSTANCES DON'T MATTER! MARKETING DOESN'T MATTER! EFFORT DOESN'T MATTER! TIMING DOESN'T MATTER! IT'S NOT SELLING AS WELL SO THE WII DOESN'T SELL GAMES!
Oh pipe down.

Look, it came out at the same time. What does age have to do with anything . . . do you think bits rot or something?

Perhaps you meant that it isn't as good as MW2 . . . well, that is kinda the whole point . . . IT CAN'T EVER BE AS GOOD as the HD versions since the Nintendo hardware can't do it.

Jokeropia said:
If you post unsubstantiated fanboy bullshit, yeah you're gonna get called on it. Don't act like it's some sort of persecution.
Fanboy bullshit? I own all three of the consoles. I'm just giving you the facts.

speculawyer said:
Oh pipe down.

Look, it came out at the same time. What does age have to do with anything . . . do you think bits rot or something?

Perhaps you meant that it isn't as good as MW2 . . . well, that is kinda the whole point . . . IT CAN'T EVER BE AS GOOD as the HD versions since the Nintendo hardware can't do it.
I see you're returning to your old, troll'y self.

Htown said:
ARE YOU FUCKING INSANE?

GOD DAMNIT!

BRB KILLING SELF

Your insanity aside. Being a '2 year old port' didn't stop RE4 Wii from selling very well when it was released pretty close to the release of RE5.

legend166

Omar Ismail said:
Your insanity aside. Being a '2 year old port' didn't stop RE4 Wii from selling very well when it was released pretty close to the release of RE5.

If by 'pretty close' you mean almost 2 years earlier, then yes you're right.

That's a really stupid comparison.

What were the last known totals for Vesperia and Dawn of the New World again? I remember someone mentioning months ago they were like 107K and 106K respectively at one point.

Also AniHawk, you mentioned before that LKS was at 20,000 and Klonoa around 19,000, were those from last month or this month and you got it hours before the thread popped up?

What about the last known numbers for Rune Factory Frontier? And Muramasa's as of this month?

Yes I could go on. :lol

Ulairi

Banned
speculawyer said:
Of course, that is probably a bit misleading . . . the sum total units of those Nintendo million-seller titles is probably more than the sum total of all those 3rd party million-sellers.

Halo outsells a vast majority of the 3rd party sellers on the Xbox. You're fishing for your trolls.

Tiktaalik

Hero of Legend said:
What were the last known totals for Vesperia and Dawn of the New World again? I remember someone mentioning months ago they were like 107K and 106K respectively at one point.

Also AniHawk, you mentioned before that LKS was at 20,000 and Klonoa around 19,000, were those from last month or this month and you got it hours before the thread popped up?

What about the last known numbers for Rune Factory Frontier? And Muramasa's as of this month?

I'm going to guess that the sales for all these games are somewhere between awful and terrible.

speculawyer said:
Of course, that is probably a bit misleading . . . the sum total units of those Nintendo million-seller titles is probably more than the sum total of all those 3rd party million-sellers.

Shouldn't the comparison be between the amount of 3rd party software sold on the wii compared to the 360 and PS3?

If 3rd parties are selling more on the wii why should it matter if Nintendo are selling billions of dollars worth of software as well?

Having said that i think distinguishing between 1st and 3rd party is fairly stupid.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Hero of Legend said:

According to the various sources, as of the January '09 NPD it was:

ToS: DotNW = 95k
Vesperia = 107k

doicare

amtentori said:
holy shit.

why are people so misinformed about the state of third party sales???

3 years into the gen and it still seems like we are in 2006.
Nintendo just released in their financial report a few weeks ago that wiis (ww) million sellers were about 20 1st party, and 40 third party. they even said third parties were doing better than on the ds on the same timeframe.

also, shovelware doesnt sell insane amounts. wiis best third party sellers this year are probably EA sports active, TW wii, Monster hunter 3, GST, beatles etc. the big third party sellers from the holiday were CODwaw and shaun white. non which are shovelware. A few party games with less than stellar producttion values and quality have seen success. Game party and carnival games for example, but for the most part, million sellers have been at the very least decent games. (that might not appeal the most to gaf demographic)

That said, wiis third party support is much worse than compared to other systems. just look at releases for this month. borderlands, brutal legend, etc. what hyped big third party games released for wii this month?

That is not to say that wiis library is unquestionably inferior. there are plenty of gens but they happen to fall in more niche genres like 2d games, puzzlers, and rail shooters. Think Muramasa, little king story, HOTD overkill, DS extraction, Boom blox BP, Zandwiki etc.

There is also the impression that there have been a ridiculous amount of exclusive Core game bombs on wii. The only titles I can think of that could possibly qualify are Madworld, Dead space extraction, deadly creatures (how many people even know what this game is?) and the conduit? (sega said they were happy with sales for TC)

What else is there? castlevania judgement, soul calibur legends? am i missing something?
Jokeropia said:
The problem is that doesn't actually tell the whole story.

The fact is during 2009 worldwide their has only been one new million selling 3rd party game for the wii from games released this year and that game is ea sports active.

And it's not as if their is a huge amount of 3rd party wii games that are just under one million either. For the entire year the only other new 3rd party games that are close to selling over one million are:
Monster Hunter Tri
The Beatles: Rock Band
Guitar Hero 5
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games

and that's about it. If i've missed something obvious then please feel free to add to the list but i don't think their are many games you could add to that list really.

So for an entire year the console that has a significantly higher user base can only manage 5 new 3rd party million sellers and that is healthy and normal from a 3rd full year of being on the market? In comparision the 360 and ps3 with user bases only half that of wii's have already both managed 7 new 3rd party million sellers each which are:

360:
Resident Evil 5
UFC 2009 Undisputed
Madden NFL 10
Street Fighter IV
FIFA Soccer 10
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

ps3:
Resident Evil 5
UFC 2009 Undisputed
Street Fighter IV
FIFA Soccer 10
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Pro Evolution Soccer 2010
Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

and on top of that each or both of the 360 and ps3 will gain another 10-19 3rd party million sellers from these games released this year:
Prototype
Fight Night Round 4
Skate 2
Red Faction: Guerrilla
Guitar Hero: Metallica
Guitar Hero 5
Need for Speed: Shift
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2
Borderlands
NCAA Football 10
WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2010
PES2010
Brutal Legend (maybe :D)
Grand Theft Auto: Episodes
Tekken 6
Assassin's Creed II
Left 4 Dead 2
Dragon Age

The next question is does 2010 look any better for the wii? With next to no major 3rd party games coming out early next year and the 360/ps3 getting bayonetta, mass effect 2, splinter cell, bioshock 2, Aliens Vs Predator, Max Payne 3, lost planet 2, Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and final fantasy 13 but to name a few then the answer is clearly no.

Vinci

Danish
3rd party sales aren't particularly healthy anywhere, doicare. You're missing the point. Companies are losing money on pretty much every system. 3rd parties aren't doing very well anywhere, quite honestly - and that's mostly because of their own choices at the beginning of this generation.

doicare said:

All of the major 3rd party games are going to the PS3/360 and the wii is being given mostly shovelware and low budget games.

Despite this the wii still sells the most 3rd party software and i would say that's by a fair margin to.

Also i don't know why you are going for list wars. No one is denying that the wii is getting shit support compared to the PS3/360 all they are saying is that the wii is selling a lot of software.

The fact that the 360 and PS3 are getting a lot of support in the future does nothing to change that fact.

doicare said:
The fact is during 2009 worldwide their has only been one new million selling 3rd party game for the wii from games released this year and that game is ea sports active.

And it's not as if their is a huge amount of 3rd party wii games that are just under one million either. For the entire year the only other new 3rd party games that are close to selling over one million are:
Monster Hunter Tri
Guitar Hero 5
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games

and that's about it. If i've missed something obvious then please feel free to add to the list but i don't think their are many games you could add to that list really.

All this does is prove that wii games have long legs rather than blowing their load all at once. How does this in anyway discredit the figures posted?

Top Bottom