• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2009

Raw64life

Numbers that aren't in the OP so far...

September 09:

WII WII FIT W/BALANCE BOARD : ~135K
WII MURAMASA: THE DEMON BLADE: ~35K
WII DEAD SPACE: EXTRACTION: ~10K

PS3 THE BEATLES: ROCK BAND: ~130K
PS3 NINJA GAIDEN SIGMA 2: ~40K

360 BATMAN: ARKHAM ASYLUM: ~200K

NDS KINGDOM HEARTS 358/2 DAYS: ~200K
NDS SCRIBBLENAUTS: ~195K

PSP PERSONA: ~25K
PSP GRAN TURISMO: ~20K

-----

Rough LTDs:

WII WII FIT W/BALANCE BOARD : ~8 million
WII WII SPORTS RESORT: ~1.7 million

PS3 BATMAN: ARKHAM ASYLUM: ~500K
PS3 MADDEN NFL 10: ~915K

360 BATMAN: ARKHAM ASYLUM: ~505K
360 MADDEN NFL 10: ~1.2 million

-----

Hardware LTD:

PS2: ~44.6 million
NDS: ~33.3 million
Wii: ~21.6 million
360: ~16.3 million
PSP: ~15.7 million
PS3: ~8.7 million

Tiktaalik

Opiate said:
Look, we don't know exactly how many copies of Dead Space were sold (vs shipped). We don't know how many were sold at 20 dollars instead of 60. We don't know what their initial expectations were: were the expectations around Turok level? Or were they Assassin's Creed level? We don't know the answers to any of these questions.

But here's what I can tell you: in the last 18 months, EA has lost nearly 1.3 billion dollars. That's 1,300,000,000 dollars, for those who need the figure emphasized. I'm not sure how much Dead Space and Mirror's Edge were supposed to sell, but clearly something EA is doing is going disastrously wrong, and we can confidently say it isn't Madden or Fifa.

The difference between what EA was doing previously and what they're doing now is a big deal in my opinion. Before when Catwoman and James Bond were huge bombs those were just huge bombs. Now, spending a crap load of money to develop new IPs like Dead Space, Mirrors Edge, Dante's Inferno, EA Sports Active etc, that's not just money out the window, this is money being invested in new properties that will pay out for years to come. This is building a fanbase that EA can improve on with subsequent titles and these are IPs that EA can spin off into movies, which is another thing they're doing.

As I said earlier I expect within the next quarter or the quarter after that for EA to start posting a profit again, because I think a lot of their losses have to do with a fundamental shift in their business. If they keep bleeding money well then there's additional problems that still aren't being solved but I think they're on the cusp of a huge turn around.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Raw64life said:

Rough LTDs:

Hasn't Batman PS3 outsold 360 both months? How would it be under?

Nevermind, I'm an idiot.

Opiate

Tiktaalik said:
The difference between what EA was doing previously and what they're doing now is a big deal in my opinion. Before when Catwoman and James Bond were huge bombs those were just huge bombs. Now, spending a crap load of money to develop new IPs like Dead Space, Mirrors Edge, Dante's Inferno, EA Sports Active etc, that's not just money out the window, this is money being invested in new properties that will pay out for years to come. This is building a fanbase that EA can improve on with subsequent titles and these are IPs that EA can spin off into movies, which is another thing they're doing.

As I said earlier I expect within the next quarter or the quarter after that for EA to start posting a profit again, because I think a lot of their losses have to do with a fundamental shift in their business. If they keep bleeding money well then there's additional problems that still aren't being solved but I think they're on the cusp of a huge turn around.

I'll believe it when I see it. Not saying you're wrong: I'll just believe it when I see it.

poppabk said:
But the game industry and the video game industry don't work the same, there is no game equivalent of Juno
Juno - 7 million budget - 230 million box office (WW)
Dark Knight - 185 million budget - 1000 million box office (WW)
Lets just say that Halo:ODST had an overall budget of 20 million and is our gaming equivalent of Dark Knight
Halo:ODST - 20 million budget - ~90 million revenue (US)
XXXX - 760k budget - ~20 million revenue

Fill in the blank.
Juno isn't the only example of a movie that has had that kind of success on the back of a low budget based on word of mouth or critical acclaim either.

Here's the problem with this analogy. Most films, and indeed film studios, lose money. Let me say that again most films lose money. The entire studio model is dependent on the one big hit. Every year the studios try to create the one, big, blockbuster that'll make them enough money to pay for all their movie failures. It's the same with the videogame industry. It's the same with books. It's the same with every publishing media. Most things fail.

I love Harmonix, but remember the early Playstation 2 games? Frequency and Amplitude, I love them. Many other people did too. But they didn't sell well. Harmoix was just *surving* through the generation. Then they launched this little thing with a plastic guitar. No one bought it. Seriously. No one bought it. It was poorly distributed, hard to find, and in low stock. But the people that did get it loved it, talked about it, got their friend to play it, and it started to sell. And sell. And sell. And now they have two titles in the Top 10.

Sure, the videogame industry is much more reliant on franchises and sequels than film, but if that's not equivalent to the likes of Juno or whatever other quirky, independent film that makes many times its profit over its lifetime, I don't know what is.

gillty

Banned
top-20-sep-2009.png

DeadGzuz

Banned
Acid08 said:
Let's see if more PS3 games appear in the Top 10 now.

Why? the top 10 is not based on new console buyers. The PS3 is 18.7% of the market (PS360Wii), so it should get no more than 2/10 in the top 10.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Opiate said:
If you're talking more generally -- and including the big boys -- I've provided strong evidence to the contrary. The Financial Reports of all the listed Publishers. If you have actual evidence to support your position, and not just "I'm at a game studio," I really would be eager to listen. I've certainly kept a very open ear to what Mario and Warm Machine have to say, for example, but that's because they provide actual information.

Well, seeing as you ask...

In my experience, there are a lot of developers who have been struggling over the last year, certainly moreso than any time I can remember in the last decade. IMO the reasons for this are complex and vary from studio to studio, but it boils down to a few key factors including

- it is harder than ever for anything less than a great game with good day one marketing support to be successful at retail due to a crowded and splintered marketplace where retailers hold the "power"

- the credit crunch and recession has limited publishers' ability and willingness to fund development on an ongoing basis, causing the cancellation of a large number of projects in Q4 2008 and making publishers more cautious about signing new projects

- studio closures and layoffs have spawned a large number of startups who are also competing for the same publisher funding and licensed projects and in a lot of cases are bidding low, which on top of established developers is driving budgets and margins down

In summary, there are more studios competing for less projects in an environment where it is harder than ever for the average individual game to make money.

Certainly there will be those studios that aren't experiencing any issues, especially those at the top of their game. Mid tier developer seem to be the ones struggling the most (but that doesn't mean most mid tier developers are struggling).

I had expected to see publishers start to sign more projects en masse to fill 2010 and 2011 product gaps left by the cull last year. That didn't really happen. I'm not expecting that now until the end of Q1 2010 after publishers get Q4 2009 results.

singularity said:
Here's the problem with this analogy. Most films, and indeed film studios, lose money. Let me say that again most films lose money. The entire studio model is dependent on the one big hit. Every year the studios try to create the one, big, blockbuster that'll make them enough money to pay for all their movie failures. It's the same with the videogame industry. It's the same with books. It's the same with every publishing media. Most things fail.

Do you have any sources to back this up?

Johann

ksamedi said:
I'm really curious what these guys spend their money on. The games they produce seem to do decent at retail. They must be a horribly inefficient company to lose money on those sales.

Coming into this generation, EA's strategy can be broken down into two things: new IPs and alternative revenue streams (i.e. digital distribution and DLC)

The biggest mistake they made was buying into the hype that the HD twins were going to be come of the best selling systems ever made with an influx of new customers (who would be receptive towards new IP). They spent a fortune in R&D for these consoles. A lot depended on new IPs becoming huge hits since old reliable franchises (most notably Need for Speed) were stagnating and the company was slowly ending its dependence on (costly) licensed properties.

They also spent a lot of money in the purchase of new studios, such as Mythic and Bioware/Pandemic. As you may know, those major purchases haven't made back the investment. Mythic's Warhammer Online has a dwindling subscriber count that is well below their target. While Bioware hasn't been put to the test, Pandemic failed to get a Dark Knight licensed game (you know, based the action movie that ended up as one of the biggest blockbuster hits) on time. We just have to look the overwhelming success of Arkham Asylum in order to see how much revenue EA lost when the aborted the game. There was also the failure of Spore, which did not become the Sim 2-expansion cash cow they expected it to be.

We also the EA Partners publishing deal. EA offers a very generous deal with this partnership. The problem is that if the game bombs, EA is saddled with a bunch of upfront costs but gets little in return. If the game succeeds (as in the case with Left4Dead), EA doesn't make too much money due to the terms of the deal. They offered this deal in order doors opened and to get the whole publishing system fast-tracked. We'll have to see if EA is able to improve this deal into a consistent success for themselves.

The second problem is their push toward alternative revenue streams, such as the "free to play/pay to win" model and DLC. This didn't necessarily go wrong since EA has some the biggest successes out of all publishers. The problem was that this lead to ignoring the PS2 (which had a ton of users) and the Wii (a fast-selling system that competitors Activision and THQ would cash on). This was especially bad with their distribution deal for Rock Band. They allocated the hardware to the HD twins since they had the most robust online functionality and it's very expensive to make and ship the hardware from China. It's only now that

So yes, they are a very inefficient company that made a number of critical errors when entering this generation. It remains to be seen if their past focus on alternate sources of revenue and new focus on the Wii will lead to a turn around. So far, the PC and EA Sports (especially on the Wii) have become EA's breadwinners.

ZAK

DeadGzuz said:
Why? the top 10 is not based on new console buyers. The PS3 is 18.7% of the market (PS360Wii), so it should get no more than 2/10 in the top 10.
However, whereas previous console owners are not necessarily buying games at any given time, it seems almost assured that someone who has just bought a console will definitely buy at least one game. Maybe even a fair bit more than that, if you believe there's this big glut of people that are all about the PS3's great exclusives and have just been waiting for the price to be right.

I'm curious about this too. Last I heard (and it was quite a while ago), PS3 hardware was bonering the fuck out of the marketplace's pants, but software sales hadn't moved much. Any new data?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
John Dunbar said:
but if it is so common, it should be easy to cite ;)
If only that was actually true :lol :)

Flying_Phoenix said:
I wasn't referring to the film part, but more so when he stated that all major media as well.
Well, for example, television shows often fail to survive, let alone provide a profit. Thus the TV industry has to rely upon DVD sales, the few big hits and toy sales (for kid shows) in order to stay afloat.

And, as singularity said, the same is true of video games. Except video games don't have DVD sales and such to help support them (though one could make the argument that downloadable content is becoming the industry's safety support). Also you have to remember that for every 1 game released, there's probably like 3-4 games that were canceled and never saw the light of day, yet still cost the company money and time to work on.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
singularity said:

I love Harmonix, but remember the early Playstation 2 games? Frequency and Amplitude, I love them. Many other people did too. But they didn't sell well. Harmoix was just *surving* through the generation. Then they launched this little thing with a plastic guitar. No one bought it. Seriously. No one bought it. It was poorly distributed, hard to find, and in low stock. But the people that did get it loved it, talked about it, got their friend to play it, and it started to sell. And sell. And sell. And now they have two titles in the Top 10.

Sure, the videogame industry is much more reliant on franchises and sequels than film, but if that's not equivalent to the likes of Juno or whatever other quirky, independent film that makes many times its profit over its lifetime, I don't know what is.
The film industry relies on its sure thing blockbusters like Transformers to pay the bills and pay for the smaller releases, the odd one of which will become a blockbuster like Juno or My Big Fat Greek Wedding providing massive returns.

My Big Fat Greek Wedding brought in roughly a third of what Dark Knight brought in, does anyone really think that any game with 1/40th of Halo3's budget could bring in one third of Halo3's revenue? You are talking selling a million copies at the full $60 price with a budget of maybe a million dollars if we are being generous just to match Halo3's opening day.

PS Rumor has it that MTV were losing money on every copy of Rock Band 1/2 sold http://weblogs.variety.com/the_cut_scene/2009/02/rock-band-is-losing-money-for-mtv.html

John Dunbar

correct about everything
ZAK said:
However, whereas previous console owners are not necessarily buying games at any given time, it seems almost assured that someone who has just bought a console will definitely buy at least one game. Maybe even a fair bit more than that, if you believe there's this big glut of people that are all about the PS3's great exclusives and have just been waiting for the price to be right.

I'm curious about this too. Last I heard (and it was quite a while ago), PS3 hardware was bonering the fuck out of the marketplace's pants, but software sales hadn't moved much. Any new data?

the software sales from the ~500,000 new ps3 owners are divided between hundreds of games. combined with the fact that there really weren't many big releases this month, it's not really surprising there isn't any major shift in software sales against systems with userbases of many millions more (also note that it's not like 360 and Wii had no new owners this month).

grandjedi6 said:

Well, for example, television shows often fail to survive, let alone provide a profit. Thus the TV industry has to rely upon DVD sales, the few big hits and toy sales (for kid shows) in order to stay afloat.

And, as singularity said, the same is true of video games. Except video games don't have DVD sales and such to help support them (though one could make the argument that downloadable content is becoming the industry's safety support). Also you have to remember that for every 1 game released, there's probably like 3-4 games that were canceled and never saw the light of day, yet still cost the company money and time to work on.

Oh I wasn't referring to things like one film releases, but more so the system as a whole.

In short I wasn't referring to that most TV shows make a profit just on air, but more so after being on air on DVD, syndication, etc. Actually that would be a bad example because most TV shows don't see profit period, but I think you know what I mean (and keep in mind I was thinking of more mass media than film).

EDIT - I've taken Mass Comm. classes I know all about this. It's just that I misunderstood.

donny2112

Opiate said:
but clearly something EA is doing is going disastrously wrong, and we can confidently say it isn't Madden or Fifa.

Madden Wii has been a big failure on EA's part and overall Madden is down, IIRC. It's not dragging the company down by any means, but it's not propping up the company as much as before, either.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
grandjedi6 said:

aye. very few things are more dangerous than a "common fact" that isn't actually true*.

*i have no idea is this particular common fact true or not, just that people always say it and i've never seen a good source for it.

Flying_Phoenix said:
Do you have any sources to back this up?
OK. Here's a couple I could find in short notice.

http://www.salon.com/ent/movies/btm/feature/2008/06/24/indie_death/index.html
Focuses mostly on "independent", but you can draw parallels to small to independent game developers quite easily
It hasn't turned out to be a sensible investment. Gill calculates the odds of losing all your money on an independent film at 99.95 percent. Most of those 5,000 movies, in his words, are "pre-ordained flops," made by people "who forgot that their odds would have been better if they'd converted their money into quarters and taken the all-night party bus to Vegas." First of all, there's the simple fact that the market can't support more than 10 percent of those movies in a given year, and probably a much lower ratio than that. In 2007 a reported 603 films were released theatrically in the United States, the vast majority of them coming and going almost unnoticed. Everyone in the business agrees that number is unsustainably high; a more reasonable level might be 250 to 300.

Here's a story about the book publishing business
http://www.printthis.clickability.c...//nymag.com/news/media/50279/&partnerID=73272
Harvard economist Anita Elberse wrote a piece debunking the hypothesis of Chris Anderson’s anti-blockbuster blockbuster, The Long Tail (which Bob Miller acquired at Hyperion for a mere $550,000). Elberse led off with a tidbit from a study of Hachette’s Grand Central Publishing. Of 61 books on its 2006 list, each title averaged a profit of almost $100,000. But without the top seller, which earned $5 million, that average drops to $18,000. �A blockbuster strategy still makes the most sense,� she concludes.

[...]

So publishing ends up looking like a mini-Hollywood, but even more dependent on sleeper hits and semi-reliable franchises. Dan Brown’s The Da Vinci Code buoyed Random House tremendously in the past five years, but with Brown’s sequel delayed, sales were down 5.6 percent last year. When Simon & Schuster announced that sales were off almost 10 percent in the first half of ’08, it cited the 2007 success of The Secret as the reason for the relative shortfall. Other companies did better�but on the strength of surprise hits. Sales grew 11 percent both at Penguin and at Hachette’s U.S. division, largely on the backs of two authors�Oprah-touted self-helper Eckhart Tolle at Penguin and Stephenie Meyer at Little, Brown.

Opiate

poppabk said:
The film industry relies on its sure thing blockbusters like Transformers to pay the bills and pay for the smaller releases, the odd one of which will become a blockbuster like Juno or My Big Fat Greek Wedding providing massive returns.

My Big Fat Greek Wedding brought in roughly a third of what Dark Knight brought in, does anyone really think that any game with 1/40th of Halo3's budget could bring in one third of Halo3's revenue? You are talking selling a million copies at the full $60 price with a budget of maybe a million dollars if we are being generous just to match Halo3's opening day.

PS Rumor has it that MTV were losing money on every copy of Rock Band 1/2 sold http://weblogs.variety.com/the_cut_scene/2009/02/rock-band-is-losing-money-for-mtv.html

It's actually far more common in video games than it is in films. Not only can can games with far smaller budgets match one third the revenue, they can match 1/1 the revenue: Nintendogs did exactly that. If Brain Age didn't, it came close.

The original Sims. Wii Sports. Wii Fit. Bejeweled.

And this is before we even begin to discuss the ascension of casual gaming on the PC and handheld gaming in general: without naming a specific game, both of these events mark the mass adoption of a gaming style that is universally lower budget in its approach. It's one of the reasons why the video game industry is so messed up: unlike the movie industry, there is not a clear path where larger budgets yield larger profits or revenue.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
John Dunbar said:
aye. very few things are more dangerous than a "common fact" that isn't actually true*.

*i have no idea is this particular common fact true or not, just that people always say it and i've never seen a good source for it.
You haven't seen a good source on it because the best sources are offline ;)

John Dunbar said:

I have taken mass comm classes and it's definitely true for the film medium. There's no way film companys' can only make a profit through the theater. You can't have something that was budgeted for $200 million and expect to recoup when you're only getting like (just pulling numbers out of my ass) 10 or 20% of $8 ticket sales. The profit comes when you release the DVD, video rentals, put it on HBO, and allow it to show on TNT three years down the line.

The same can be send with TV, especially with TV losing viewership to things such as the internet (Youtube, Facebook, MySpace), videogames (Nintendo DS, Nintendo Wii, iPhone, Farmville), etc.

The thing that's happening now is that these AAA games are getting so big that they can't really support themselves with one release. This is comparable to say if that films only had DVD to support them for example. I mean yeah it's the main source of income, but it's not enough. This is why publishers are pushing "downloadable content" (we've had them for years they're called mods and updates) so much because it's another form to make profit separate from the initial retail release.

Gaming use to have another form of profit called "the arcades", however gaming more so started on that and instead of publishers trying to find a way to keep both arcades and consoles afloat they decided to just jump on consoles full force (which at the time is understandable). I guess what people are trying to say is that for gaming to go forward it needs more ways to support itself. Then again, gaming /= films. Also is this what we really want in games?

singularity said:
OK. Here's a couple I could find in short notice.

http://www.salon.com/ent/movies/btm/feature/2008/06/24/indie_death/index.html
Focuses mostly on "independent", but you can draw parallels to small to independent game developers quite easily

Here's a story about the book publishing business
http://www.printthis.clickability.c...//nymag.com/news/media/50279/&partnerID=73272

I already knew about films but I guess you didn't see the edit. Also unless I'm reading it wrong that article states that the average book does pull a profit. Though that is all some very nice and informative information.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Flying_Phoenix said:
I have taken mass comm classes and it's definitely true for the film medium. There's no way film companys' can only make a profit through the theater. You can't have something that was budgeted for $200 million and expect to recoup when you're only getting like (just pulling numbers out of my ass) 10 or 20% of $8 ticket sales. The profit comes when you release the DVD, video rentals, put it on HBO, and allow it to show on TNT three years down the line.

now i'm no expert (although i do post on a video game message board), but i've been under the impression studios get at least 50% of box office. i've even seen mentioned that the studios' share for the opening weekend is as much as 90% (at least for the big releases) and cinemas make most of their money by selling popcorn and other crap.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Opiate said:
It's actually far more common in video games than it is in films. Not only can can games with far smaller budgets match one third the revenue, they can match 1/1 the revenue: Nintendogs did exactly that. If Brain Age didn't, it came close.

The original Sims. Wii Sports. Wii Fit. Bejeweled.
Other than Bejeweled I doubt any of those games had budgets below $1 million, Nintendo's quality and painstaking attention to detail comes at a price I think.

PistolGrip said:
Not if you count worldwide :) Japan and Europe can easily pick up the slack..
elrechazao said:
Hey look, a sony fan who feels the need to point out worldwide sales in an NPD thread. That never happens.

Definite meme potential that one (if it isn't one already)/ :lol

npd results. . . "but chartz worldwide"

ZAK

John Dunbar said:
the software sales from the ~500,000 new ps3 owners are divided between hundreds of games. combined with the fact that there really weren't many big releases this month, it's not really surprising there isn't any major shift in software sales against systems with userbases of many millions more (also note that it's not like 360 and Wii had no new owners this month).
Hundreds, huh? Well, I would still think there'd be a pretty big concentration on several key titles. But whatever, I'm still especially interested just to hear the totals.

Back on the hardware front...I was going to post these earlier, but didn't have internet access for a bit.

Launch aligned U.S. Sales:

Chart1009a-1.gif

You can see how much trouble the Wii is in: it's the best-selling system in US history at this point in its life, and even over the past few months during all the whining, it had not been trending any worse than the previous titans, the GBA and PS2.

And you can see the nice upward tick on the end of the PS3's line. The question is, can its new model turn around the business? It can be done--just look at the DS. It was a late bloomer here in the US.

Current Gen chart:

Chart1009b.gif

A real-time chart rather than a launch-aligned one shows the crossing streams as they actually occurred; the Wii shooting up the ranks, the 360 slowly moving past the PSP, and the epic DS-PSP battle that occurred before the DS found its stride.

John Dunbar said:
now i'm no expert (although i do post on a video game message board), but i've been under the impression studios get at least 50% of box office. i've even seen mentioned that the studios' share for the opening weekend is as much as 90% (at least for the big releases) and cinemas make most of their money by selling popcorn and other crap.
Here's a good piece on movie financing (this is actually part 3 of the series, but this one mostly deals with revenue)
http://www.boxofficeprophets.com/column/index.cfm?columnID=8359

But yes, you're right. After box office, film has many other opportunities for revenue (home theatre, tv licensing, etc) that games don't so the comparison isn't perfect. The games industry is getting better (well, unless you're a consumer) at maintaining sales and revenue post launch (see Valve, Halo/bethesda DLC. I'm not going to cite WoW since that really is an aberration) but there are still growing pains. My point was that, regardless of the medium, most things lose money. Studios will come and go.

PSGames

Raw64life said:

September 09:

WII WII FIT W/BALANCE BOARD : ~135K
WII MURAMASA: THE DEMON BLADE: ~35K
WII DEAD SPACE: EXTRACTION: ~10K

PS3 THE BEATLES: ROCK BAND: ~130K
PS3 NINJA GAIDEN SIGMA 2: ~40K

360 BATMAN: ARKHAM ASYLUM: ~200K

NDS KINGDOM HEARTS 358/2 DAYS: ~200K
NDS SCRIBBLENAUTS: ~195K

PSP PERSONA: ~25K
PSP GRAN TURISMO: ~20K

-----

Rough LTDs:

WII WII FIT W/BALANCE BOARD : ~8 million
WII WII SPORTS RESORT: ~1.7 million

PS3 MADDEN NFL 10: ~915K

360 MADDEN NFL 10: ~1.2 million

-----

Hardware LTD:

PS2: ~44.6 million
NDS: ~33.3 million
Wii: ~21.6 million
360: ~16.3 million
PSP: ~15.7 million
PS3: ~8.7 million

this is fucking amazing for PS3. For madden to be so close when 360 has twice the hardware out there. Can anyone with numbers state if the 360 Madden is down compared to last year? The PS3 version is up compared to last year? Or both?

kkaabboomm said:
wii play was a wii remote w/a $10 game.

now there is a wii remote, wii motion plus, AND a game for $50, or TWO wii motion +'s, a wii remote, and a game, for $60.

wii sports resort killed wii play. anyone who wants an extra controller is going to get wii sports resort
Wii Sports Resort does NOT come with a remote.

JGS

Banned
markatisu said:
Gears of War
Assassins Creed
Dead Rising
EA Active
Left 4 Dead

I can go on if you really want to play this game, your qualifer for total unknowns is very open to interpretation

:lol I thought all of those games were well-known except the Wii title of course.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
JGS said:
:lol I thought all of those games were well-known except the Wii title of course.
They were well known before release because the companies behind them marketed them; which is not the case of EA games. EA games selling like shit is EA's fault (as I said before, they are not thinking of customers when making their games, no matter how great those are, and the marketing was insufficient...).

markatisu

JGS said:

Because Dead Space and Mirrors Edge were not well known? You had to live under a rock to not know those games were out with all the commercials, especially for Mirrors Edge. Dead Space even had a fucking DVD release tie in :lol

The commercials sucked ass though so it could be more of a question of bad advertising on EA's part

And EA Active got an insane amount of advertising in prime time, even sponsoring the Biggest Loser TV show. GAF might not have known it was coming but GAF is often ignorant to what actually goes on in the real world.

The point was that the gaffer was trying to say that its hard to launch a new IP (which is true) but claimed that was why Dead Space and Mirrors Edge were not well known and thats why they suffered or did not bust out with millions in the first two months

Top Bottom