• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2009

freitax

manueldelalas said:
Well, if you want to discuss chartzz numbers; I think you are in the wrong forum.
well yeah I was never stating anything, I'm not that aware of the reliability of the chartzz, not much of a sales person (I know wrong thread, if so), that's why asked. Still it doesn't seem that off, it definitely doesn't look like it will only do 300k with the amount of marketing and buzz it's getting, I can certainly be wrong thou.

EDIT: ^ Ignore the above.

freitax said:
well yeah I was never stating anything, I'm not that aware of the reliability of the chartzz, not much of a sales person (I know wrong thread, if so), that's why asked. Still it doesn't seem that off, it definitely doesn't look like it will only do 300k with the amount of marketing and buzz it's getting, I can certainly be wrong thou.

They are completely made up, hence why posting and discussing numbers from that site are banned.

anddo0

Massa said:
Motorstorm is a fantastic game on the PSP, it's on par if not better than the PS3 offerings.

No doubt.. Gameplay and feature set are identical. The game is Motorstorm in your pocket. It's seems some people are hung up on the visual aspects (which for a PSP game it looks outstanding).. No one is expecting console quality graphics from a handheld. If a game can capture the core gameplay elements and keep most of the feature set intact, I don't see why it would be considered inferior, graphics withstanding.

DMeisterJ

Banned
[Nintex] said:
There are about as many Wii Fit boards out there as there are PS3's so I'm guessing it'll be a grudge match between Wii Fit Plus and Uncharted 2.

Yup. The sales of the standalone and Wii Fit plus is going to make this interesting, given that Wii Fit has a pretty good userbase (Six, Seven Million?) in the US. Next month will be interesting.

BenjaminBirdie said:
I think Forza will be higher, but the order's right. And Liberty City Stories will probably squinch in between them.

Episodes from Liberty City is hard for me to judge too... Is anyone really still playing GTA IV? *Checks XBLA Activity for last week* Number 8. Well, I guess that's a good amount of people? And if they're still playing a year and a half old game, did they not buy TLaD? Or are a ton of people waiting to own both of them together? Only next month will tell...

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Road said:
Per "official sources":
(PSP) GRAN TURISMO - 18.0k
(WII) DEAD SPACE: EXTRACTION - 9.0k
(PSP) SOUL CALIBUR: BROKEN DESTINY < 26.0K
(PSP) PERSONA < 23.0K
(PSP) MOTORSTORM ARTIC EDGE < 3.0K

smh.gif, what the hell is wrong with this world.

well at least they outsold their estimate for Persona in Japan, it should have softened the blow.

DMeisterJ

Banned
chandoog said:

well at least they outsold their estimate for Persona in Japan, it should have softened the blow.

This is a crying shame. Five really good PSP games all sell terrible. :(

freitax

chandoog said:

What was the highest selling psp game? Probably liberty city stories, for the the hacking:/

vehn

man how can DS: Extraction only sell 9k.. that's like 0.0001% of the install base, so sad

edit: I wonder how many copies Operation Flashpoint: DR sold. Came out for PS360, but maybe that was too late in the month to count

vehn said:
man how can DS: Extraction only sell 9k.. that's like 0.0001% of the install base, so sad

edit: I wonder how many copies Operation Flashpoint: DR sold. Came out for PS360, but maybe that was too late in the month to count

Comparing sales relative to install base is just setting yourself up for disappointment (and trouble). Best to just deal with the sales as they are.

percephone

Neo Member
Scottlarock said:
as a software maker if I had to choose between making a game between 360 and ps3, who would I choose... hmmmm the average since 2007 or the console that has them beat almost 2-1 in 3rd party sales this year... hmmmm by console by consoles ps3 is doing alright, since 2007 but in general 360 is still kicking their ass...hmmmmm who to make a game for...hmmmm need some help here....

Considering that it does not cost you double the money to release the game on both, you choose both..

DMeisterJ said:
This is a crying shame. Five really good PSP games all sell terrible. :(
Were you including something else not in that list? 1/5 in there is a Wii game.

Still, was expecting a lot more in terms of numbers for those PSP games. :( I'm with ya, it's a damn shame.

vehn said:

Operation Flashpoint didn't ship until October 13th. How do I know? Still backordered from the TRU deal, along with Brutal Legend. :/

Raw64life

chandoog said:

Sony still hasn't gotten the hint that people for the most part don't care for watered down console games on their portable system. I wouldn't know if it's true or not since I don't own one but the stigma about these kind of games among casual gamers is basically "oh, this is like the PS3 game except with less features and worse graphics".

anddo0

Raw64life said:
Sony still hasn't gotten the hint that people for the most part don't care for watered down console games on their portable system. I wouldn't know if it's true or not since I don't own one but the stigma about these kind of games among casual gamers is basically "oh, this is like the PS3 game except with less features and worse graphics".

This argument doesn't apply to Persona though. It's a PS1 remake with extras...

Woo-Fu

Banned
Raw64life said:
I wouldn't know if it's true or not since I don't own one but the stigma about these kind of games among casual gamers is basically "oh, this is like the PS3 game except with less features and worse graphics".

I don't think "casual gamer" means what you think it means.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Winterblink said:
Were you including something else not in that list? 1/5 in there is a Wii game.

Still, was expecting a lot more in terms of numbers for those PSP games. :( I'm with ya, it's a damn shame.

Wow, I'm stupid, lol. I meant four.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
vehn said:

Spyborgs sold less then 600. Install base doesn't matter at times.

birdchili

vehn said:
story-focused game targeting multi-console-owning dead space fans, with the story being hugely unsatisfying if you only play the wii version?

there's lots of good that can be said about the core gameplay, but they would have done themselves a word-of-mouth sales favor by giving the story some sort of self-contained pacing and payoff for folk who haven't played the original.

vehn said:

there are infinite numbers between 0.0001 and 0

:D

donny2112

Shurs said:
I'm talking about the total amount (LTD, not YTD) of 360's and PS3's in North America at the end of June. It was over 2-1 in favor of 360.

And the total amount (LTD not YTD) of 360 software sales was about 2.5:1 for 360 over PS3 as of the end of June.

Shurs said:
I qualified it by saying that since 2008 it's been this way.

Since 2008 until June, it's been 1.7:1 for 360 over PS3 with the hardware ratio being ~1.4:1 in favor of 360.

Evlar

Banned
Drkirby said:
Spyborgs sold less then 600. Install base doesn't matter at times.
Spyborgs: A game where GAF opinion really DOES reflect the opinion of a majority of people playing the game.

It's too bad about the Dead Space: Extraction numbers, but I'm not surprised. Casual gamers aren't likely to pick the game up on a whim, and a lot of core gamers probably weren't interested in the game in the first place. It's has become a common trend for the Wii to get shafted on big releases only to see some quickly-thrown-together spin-off as an appeasement. (Take Castlevania Judgment, Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles, and Soul Calibur Legends as examples.) Dead Space: Extraction turned out to be a pretty good game, but I really don't think very many people were excited about the game before it was released. I know if fell off the radar as soon as it was announced.

Gwanatu T

Coolio McAwesome said:
It's too bad about the Dead Space: Extraction numbers, but I'm not surprised. Casual gamers aren't likely to pick the game up on a whim, and a lot of core gamers probably weren't interested in the game in the first place. It's has become a common trend for the Wii to get shafted on big releases only to see some quickly-thrown-together spin-off as an appeasement. (Take Castlevania Judgment, Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles, and Soul Calibur Legends as examples.) Dead Space: Extraction turned out to be a pretty good game, but I really don't think very many people were excited about the game before it was released. I know if fell off the radar as soon as it was announced.

IF it were a regular Dead Space game, 1st OR 3rd person, with the obviously high production values that were put in the game, I can almost guarantee that it would have sold better. It's a stupid spinoff, regardless of the quality of the game (and it's arguably the best light-gun type game on the system), and it shouldn't have been created the way it was.

Road

Jvm's Gamastura article is up: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4172/npd_behind_the_numbers_september_.php

And (ugly math ahead), by the average Wii price of U$ 218, we would have 36% of the units sold at U$ 250 and 64% at U$ 200; or 166.6k before the price drop and 296.2k after; or 41.65k per week in four weeks and 296.1k in one week. (I think I'm doing something wrong. Help me out. Was the Wii sold at 200 before the 27th in some stores?)

Also, for Guitar Hero 5: 360 -- 210.8k; PS3 -- 104k; Wii + PS2 - 184k.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Coolio McAwesome said:
I hate to say I called it, but since the very beginning (aka when the game was first revealed) I've been considering Extraction a very stupid business decision due to a series of fatal mistakes by EA. Too bad they sank money this way, they've been a really good publisher lately and it's even sadder to see the really good game - albeit short - Extraction turned out to be bomb this hard.
I'm not even mentioning Spyborgs, 'cause I think everyone should have seen it coming.

Zihark

Gwanatu T said:
Glad to see Muramasa sold 35k. I'm sure that's pretty decent numbers for such a game, right?
Yeah, in comparison VC and TOV sold that much first month, its 2-d console retail game so a very niche group. I think WLS sold similar numbers-which tells you how 2-d console games generally sell. I think it'll do better then boy and his blob.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
ZAK said:
I'm not sure what you're asking, but IIRC Munchables sold under 200.

LOL, I own a copy of that... it's surprisingly a decent (though very easy) game, deserves more sales than that.

donny2112

Road said:
And (ugly math ahead), by the average Wii price of U$ 218, we would have 36% of the units sold at U$ 250 and 64% at U$ 200; or 166.6k before the price drop and 296.2k after; or 41.65k per week in four weeks and 296.1k in one week.

I got 43.85K per week before the price cut and 287.4K after.

(4*250*x + 1*200*y)/(4*x + 1*y) = 218
=>
x = 0.1525y

4*x + 1*y = 462800
=>
x = ~43850

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Road said:
2lkxpc7.png

2hxsrpk.png

Top Bottom