• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For September 2016

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Overall:

September retail game sales are down 23% year over year.

Hardware was down 25% year over year.

Console and Handheld game sales were down 22% year over year.

Physical and Steam PC software sales were up 3% year over year.

Software:

1. NBA 2K17 (Take-Two)
  2. Madden NFL 17 (Electronic Arts)
  3. FIFA 17 (Electronic Arts)
  4. NHL 17 (Electronic Arts)
  5. Bioshock: The Collection (Take-Two)
  6. Destiny: The Collection (Activision Blizzard)
  7. Grand Theft Auto V (Take-Two)
  8. Overwatch** (Activision Blizzard)
  9. Forza Horizon 3* (Microsoft)
  10. Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Activision Blizzard)
*No digital sales.
**No Battle.net digital sales.

Hardware:

XB1: #1 Console

Notes:
- “The Xbox One brand was the best-selling hardware for the month and accounted for 37 percent of all hardware units sold,” said Naji.
- “The 3DS experienced its fourth consecutive month of increased hardware unit sales compared to last year,” explained Naji.

Other Info:

VentureBeat said:
“Total accessory spending, excluding Point Card sales, declined 30 percent compared to September 2015,” said Naji. “Consumers this month spent $47 million less than they did last year, with 82 percent of this decline coming from interactive gaming toys.”

The toys, which include Nintendo Amiibo, Lego Dimensions, and Skylanders. But they only generated $13 million, which is 75 percent less than September 2015.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Huge software drop, but that makes sense when you compare this year to last year's lineup.

SgtCobra

"Do people still play Destiny?!"

Pretty boring predictable list overall, but hey, it's what the biggest chunk of the console customers like to buy. These are the games that sell consoles.

4. NHL 17 (Electronic Arts)
giphy.gif

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Sports domination. They are really the only games I play anymore.

There is something a lot of you need to understand about sports games and GTA/CoD.

There is a large subset of "gamers" who buy a PS4 or XB1 just to play sports games. That's all they're gonna play. They maybe buy one or two games a year, a few max. That's all that they play. I always used to wonder how sports games sold so well and its specifically because of this segment who is only interested in sports games or CoD/Battlefield.

Show them anything else, even if they think it looks good they have no interest in it.

At least that's what I tell myself to keep from going insane.

This is me. Sorry, not sorry? Why is it a 'bad' thing in your view?

I've got way too much on my plate as an almost 40 year old man to be able to devote huge chunks of time to games. Sitting down for an hour at a time to play a game of Madden is perfect for me. I enjoy watching and playing sports.

When I buy huge open world games that take well over 40 hours to finish I end up only getting about halfway through because I don't have large chunks of time to drop into those games so they aren't able to 'sink their teeth' into me like I wish they could. I still enjoy whatever time I spend with them though. I loved what I played of Witcher 3, MGS4, GTA5 but I never finish them so I never buy them on release day and rather wait for the first time they go on sale.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
There is something a lot of you need to understand about sports games and GTA/CoD.

There is a large subset of "gamers" who buy a PS4 or XB1 just to play sports games. That's all they're gonna play. They maybe buy one or two games a year, a few max. That's all that they play. I always used to wonder how sports games sold so well and its specifically because of this segment who is only interested in sports games or CoD/Battlefield.

Show them anything else, even if they think it looks good they have no interest in it.

Nessus

Steamspy says Deus Ex: Mankind Divided has sold around 323 000 units on Steam.

Wonder if console sales worldwide can push it over a million at least..

No, you're right. I used to be one of them. All of my friends would have a console strictly to play Madden football and play franchise mode together and occasionally we might get whatever big Triple AAA game that's being hyped as the next big thing like a GTA or COD.

Not that I expected ReCore to chart well I still hoped to see it pop up somewhere. I wish MS would have pushed it to give the game the extra polish it desperately needed, but then again I doubt it would have done much better against the holiday lineup.

Bombed, it sold less than 25K in retail.

Woof.

bomma_man

What.

NPD results always make me feel so...disconnected.

Apart from their new method prioritising the big hitters it's a sign that gaming is becoming diverse enough to be more like books, movies and music: the most interesting stuff is rarely at the top.

Salex_

You're angry because people enjoy playing high skill cap games with endless replay value (sports games) and/or just want to come home from a long day and play with friends (GTA/COD)? It's the same as the people who mostly only play LoL/DOTA 2, fighting games, or Counter Strike. Does that bother you as well?

RyudBoy

Forza Horizon 3 is a keeper so most people probably made a digital purchase.

People buy sports games on disc so they can sell them off a year later when the new one comes out.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Racing is in a bad place this gen. I fully expect that GT Sport is going to be massively down from previous titles.

Mario Kart 8 is the only real superstar in the genre this gen.

Saw this post and decided to compile how racing titles have done in NPD since 2010. It has been pretty tough on the genre.

RcdOuh.jpg

I might have already asked this in another NPD thread, but what exactly is going on with the console market right now? Is it growing? Is it declining? I ask because every time I pop into one of these threads I seem to see year over year decreases. It just doesn't look good at all. There was a time when those were basically unheard of. Now the market looks like it is in a serious rut.

Back in 06-12 there was a huge number of mass appeal games on home console. You had the whole Wii motion control fad, Wii Fit, Rock Band and Guitar Hero along with all of the typical AAA games. Every month you'd take a look at one of these threads and see record sales.

If I look at the market now and going forward it doesn't seem to have anything that can bring that mass appeal back.

EDIT: Also what happened to sales-force on GAF? These threads used to be 1000s of posts long and now it's a ghost town.

Top Bottom