• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For September 2016

Fdkn

The difference between this and Halo is Play Anywhere. It's certainly doubtful that it would have pushed digital share to half, but it's reasonable to assume that digital share would be better than the current 30% average month 1 assumption for non Play-Anywhere titles.

You know I was halfjoking but I don't really think the difference is that big with any other high profile game. I'd say play anywhere seems to be a really marginal thing that gets the echo chamber effect on gaming sites.

You know I was halfjoking but I don't really think the difference is that big with any other high profile game. I'd say play anywhere seems to be a really marginal thing that gets the echo chamber effect on gaming sites.

Guess it depends on how "that big is defined". I'd think a 5% swing is reasonable (35% for PA titles) but it could be a bit more. I think that's pretty big, but I'm sure not everyone does.

Which plat did you prefer? Have it on Steam, would rather play with a controller though.

I haven't played it on consoles but...

I much prefer XCOM 1 with a controller then KB&M and 2 was a huge step down in that regard on PC.

We still don't have controller support which rules out replays for me.

We still don't have controller support which rules out replays for me.

Yeah, pre-ordered the Steam version on sight, didn't even look into the controller bit until I'd already bought the game.

Still haven't fired it up.

Bummer. Alright, guess I'll buy the PS4 version then.

KB&M support only is a really strange dev decision. Oh well.

I'm so mixed. I love xcom 2 so much, but at the same time they sent the game to die with a 10k budget Google AdWords campaign as marketing and a port with absolutely shameful performance issues a year after the original launch.

What could they have possibly expected to sell.

I bought it digitally tho as I'm sure many others did, so maybe it's only 1/8 less of a disaster than it seems

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Wow at all the sports games.

And no Minecraft??? This is like the 2nd time its happened IIRC.

Or is it gonna be different now that the top isnt units but revenue.

Ridley327

Wow at all the sports games.

And no Minecraft??? This is like the 2nd time its happened IIRC.

Or is it gonna be different now that the top isnt units but revenue.

Yeah, that's the reason. Minecraft would have to push significantly more copies to be able to top a list comprised mainly of $60 titles.

RexNovis

Banned
Of course we are gonna see Sports games at the top of the list since they all get their digital revenue reported. This whole thing of combining revenue for games with digital reporting and games without just makes the list so meaningless as a ranking for comparison.

The toys, which include Nintendo Amiibo, Lego Dimensions, and Skylanders. But they only generated $13 million, which is 75 percent less than September 2015.

I never really understood the draw to these toys to life games. They just seem like such a colossal rip off. Looks like Disney was right to get out of Toys To Life when they did. Shame it dragged all their video game operations down with it. Here's hoping it doesnt do the same to the Spyro and Crash IPs as well.

Jeels

I remember when these NPD threads would be tens of pages on Thursday evenings. It feels like there's so little information that it's hard to discuss anything.

Wonder if October will be down YOY too. Thrre are quite a few titles this month.

Decado

What could they have possibly expected to sell.
Better than it did if there was a market. Plenty of late ports have been released on PC with zero fanfare and sold far better.

Of course npd doesn't count digital sales, right? Could have done better digitally.

99Luffy

Banned
My google skills have failed me so I thought Id ask in this thread.

Has PS3 been discontinued??

I need a back up for my 80gb but I only see the superslim on amazon, for $500 canadian. 5 hundred. Its driving up used console prices to $200. I feel weird paying $200 for a used console.

So have we gotten any 3DS numbers besides it being up YoY.

My google skills have failed me so I thought Id ask in this thread.

Has PS3 been discontinued??

I need a back up for my 80gb but I only see the superslim on amazon, for $500 canadian. 5 hundred. Its driving up used console prices to $200. I feel weird paying $200 for a used console.

Companies rarely say when a console has been discontinued. According to sales, I don't think quite yet but, who knows. Maybe it was big sales and a bunch of stock lying around

pixelation

Do we have an idea of the sales difference between the PS4 and the XBO this month?, if so could someone post it or PM me with said info?, thanks a bunch.

mcw

I really have to wonder how much longer games as we've known them have left. My generation grew up with Nintendo, but today's generation has grown up with social media, YouTube, and mobile games. The amount of attention invested in games as a whole is much less, the number of games played during that time is much fewer. I have to imagine that the amount of money they're willing to invest in games is negligible.

It's a pretty bad sign that the market is down that much despite the 2 market leaders having both released a new revision in the last 2 months. It really feels like the market is relying on the pro for a bit of a revival.

Justinh

I remember when these NPD threads would be tens of pages on Thursday evenings.

Lol, I remember my first NPD thread when I used to just lurk, I think it had like 130+ pages when I started reading it and when I finished a page, there'd be like 2 more pages on the end. It took me all night to read through that damn thread and catch up. Then again... it was the "only 7-10 K difference" thread. But hey! I'll take what I can get, and what I'm getting is some mourning for XCOM 2.

I wish I could know how many consoles sold were Xbox One S verses discounted Xbox One OGs. I remember when they announced the Xbox One S and Scorpio in the same press conference the feeling was "why? People are just going to wait for Scorpio." When it really feels like maybe that ended up being more true for the PS4 slim since it was only a couple/ maybe 3 months wait and people didn't wait for the Scorpio and bought an S or a cheap OG model. Sure, hardware is down but they still sold more than the competition, which feels like an anomaly.

I think it'll be really interesting to see how well the Pro sells in November compared to the cheaper models.

Didn't Forza Horizon 2 get similar numbers two years ago on Xbox One, no pc no play anywhere. I doubt digital has gone up significantly because of play anywhere. It's selling what you'd expect.

UK FH3 is slightly up on FH3, its doing what Forza Horizon does

Kill3r7

Saw this post and decided to compile how racing titles have done in NPD since 2010. It has been pretty tough on the genre.

RcdOuh.jpg

It's a dying genre in the US.

Gaenor

Banned
Saw this post and decided to compile how racing titles have done in NPD since 2010. It has been pretty tough on the genre.

RcdOuh.jpg

Mario Kart will soon be the only one left standing.

I'm not serious, but it really is the only one that seems to sell a lot (along with Gran Turismo ...when a new game actually comes out).

Edit: Hopefully racing games will regain in popularity. I miss WipEout, Motorstorm, PGR, RalliSport Challenge, F-Zero...

Cheebo

Banned
People in this thread acting disappointed that sports games are at the top?

What? NBA 2k17 received extremely high reviews, it is one of the most critically praised games of the entire year. It is a FANTASTIC game. Not a fantastic sports game, but fantastic video game, full stop.

Some of these posts are really embarrassing.

There is nothing about games like NBA, Madden, FIFA, etc that make them any less great and AAA must-have titles than whatever your preferred title is.

We should be glad because the top 4 games this month are all really really good well made critically strong releases. Trashing them or acting disappointing just makes you look petty and foolish.

Josh378

There is something a lot of you need to understand about sports games and GTA/CoD.

There is a large subset of "gamers" who buy a PS4 or XB1 just to play sports games. That's all they're gonna play. They maybe buy one or two games a year, a few max. That's all that they play. I always used to wonder how sports games sold so well and its specifically because of this segment who is only interested in sports games or CoD/Battlefield.

Show them anything else, even if they think it looks good they have no interest in it.

At least that's what I tell myself to keep from going insane.

From someone who plays More Than Just Sports and Call of Duty, this quote is depressing.

Cheebo

Banned
NBA 2k17 is the most fun video game I have played in the entire generation so far.

And you know what, there is nothing wrong with that at all. It doesn't make me a lesser gamer playing and buying "lesser" games. People really need to think before they say really simple minded things.

Forkball

I remember when these NPD threads would be tens of pages on Thursday evenings. It feels like there's so little information that it's hard to discuss anything.

Wonder if October will be down YOY too. Thrre are quite a few titles this month.

NPD is probably not even in the top 10 biggest pieces of gaming news in the past four days.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Mario Kart will soon be the only one left standing.

I'm not serious, but it really is the only one that seems to sell a lot (along with Gran Turismo ...when a new game actually comes out).

Edit: Hopefully racing games will regain in popularity. I miss WipEout, Motorstorm, PGR, RalliSport Challenge, F-Zero...
When a genre faces serious challenges, it needs to actually make significant design changes if it doesn't want to fade into obscurity.

That we don't have more attempts at doing that is kind of baffling. Even if the game was not especially good, Ubisoft was at least trying with The Crew.

Somnia

Didn't Forza Horizon 2 get similar numbers two years ago on Xbox One, no pc no play anywhere. I doubt digital has gone up significantly because of play anywhere. It's selling what you'd expect.

UK FH3 is slightly up on FH3, its doing what Forza Horizon does

Digital will be higher due to play anywhere, plus you have to take into account PC sales of the game which aren't tracked.

It's getting harder to gauge a games success just off retail now adays. Yes retail is still way higher than digital, but digital is growing consistently. Like Halo 5's digital was higher than anyone assumed in it's first 2 months also.

Top Bottom