• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For September 2016

Saw this post and decided to compile how racing titles have done in NPD since 2010. It has been pretty tough on the genre.

RcdOuh.jpg

Considering this then FH3 did pretty well

Chris1

Minecraft not in the top 10?

Minecraft 2 inbound.

It's the new way of NPD. It counts revenue made and since Minecraft is a $20 game it needs to sell 3x just to match every game in that top 10. Plus Microsoft don't give digital sales while everyone else does (except B.net), surely doesn't help either.

It would probably be in the top 10 if it was by sales not revenue still. Like for FH3 to reach #9 it had to sell 150k, for Minecraft to reach #9 it's need to sell 450K at retail. Honestly that's probably the end of Minecraft charting due to that even if it is one of the best selling games still.

Why doesn't NPD give exact numbers again?

IIRC, it was Sony that requested them to stop giving out data back in the PS3 generation. Or maybe I'm mixing memories up and it's heavily implied that it was Sony?

Edit: GT6 still sold pretty crazy amounts WW for a game that was sent out to die.

There is something a lot of you need to understand about sports games and GTA/CoD.

There is a large subset of "gamers" who buy a PS4 or XB1 just to play sports games. That's all they're gonna play. They maybe buy one or two games a year, a few max. That's all that they play. I always used to wonder how sports games sold so well and its specifically because of this segment who is only interested in sports games or CoD/Battlefield.

Show them anything else, even if they think it looks good they have no interest in it.

At least that's what I tell myself to keep from going insane.
Oh you are very right. I did a survey junior year of college for a class and wanted to determine gamer buying habits. I would say a good 80% of the people I surveyed buy 2-3 games a year. It pretty much involved a sports game(Madden,fifa), a shooter(COD/Battlefield) and some type of game that was recommended by a friend or is very popular(1st party exclusive, Open world game, etc).They play those same games constantly until the new version comes out and they are fine with that.

Nice to see the yoy increase on PC. Too bad it can't compensate for consoles though.

XCOM on PC is fine. Don't count on an XCOM 3 on consoles though...

Yep, over a million sold on PC. They really should have released it on consoles at the same time. Happy that others get to experience the great game but they did it no favors with a late console port with zero publicityi.

Justinh

Geez, seeing that list along with the yearly retail game sales down 23% leaves me with a sour stomach.
Weird not seeing Minecraft up there. Good on GTA V (hangintherebaby.jpg).

Sucks for XCOM 2. I thought it would do better since I think there was a lot of complaining that there was not controller support on the PC version.

Is it (PS4> XBO> etc) for the top two?
How are there still people that haven't played GTA5? Ha ha. What a fucking money train that game is.

I think I'm actually going to buy a copy not long from now. I got it for the 360 at launch, and then the PC for its launch. Kinda want an Xbox One physical copy to play through again.

Fdkn

every month the same question lol

More than 600k consoles were sold this month

that means more than 600k new potential buyers for GTA V

It's the definitive evergreen, learn to live with it

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
This is me. Sorry, not sorry? Why is it a 'bad' thing in your view?

You're angry because people enjoy playing high skill cap games with endless replay value (sports games) and/or just want to come home from a long day and play with friends (GTA/COD)? It's the same as the people who mostly only play LoL/DOTA 2, fighting games, or Counter Strike. Does that bother you as well?

I think both of you need to read my post again. Its neither a bad thing nor am I angry about it. I just did a little analysis based on what I've seen among some friends, family members, and coworkers.

Yeah, I hope no one is going to complain about them skipped consoles for XCOM 3.

Well, I hope they weren't expecting it to do big numbers given the delayed release plus minimal marketing push.

Especially given that XCOM 1 didn't really do big numbers on consoles either. They pretty much sent it out to die.

I agree that XCOM 3 is unlikely to hit consoles, but the publisher's gotta take a lot of the blame in this case.

fernoca

Well, while that happened, last year had Disney Infinity 3.0 by September.

This year had nothing in September outside some Lego Dimensions figures, the new wave of Lego Dimensions and the new Skylanders count for October.

Well, I hope they weren't expecting it to do big numbers given the delayed release plus minimal marketing push.

Especially given that XCOM 1 didn't really do big numbers on consoles either. They pretty much sent it out to die.

I agree that XCOM 3 is unlikely to hit consoles, but the publisher's gotta take a lot of the blame in this case.

At some point you can't fault publishers for trying to play it safe.

25K puts it in Digimon territory and I might be generous.

After the first and now the second game 2K and Firaxis can infer that the console demographic isn't interested in these kind of games and that would be true.

Kayant

Forza Horizon 3 is a keeper so most people probably made a digital purchase.

People buy sports games on disc so they can sell them off a year later when the new one comes out.
Oh man those digital rumblings just keep on getting better! 😁

At some point you can't fault publishers for trying to play it safe.

25K puts it in Digimon territory and I might be generous.

After the first and now the second game 2K and Firaxis can infer that the console demographic isn't interested in these kind of games and that would be true.

For the first one, if the sales are bad, sure, I think you can infer something like that.

But if the sales of the first one are poor, you can't release the second one in even worse conditions (late, minimal marketing) and somehow expect success. It makes perfect sense to me if XCOM 3 doesn't hit consoles due to the sales failure of the first two.

However, they made absolutely no effort to rectify the poor sales from the first game. So, I'm not sure why they would suddenly expect the game to do better.

I might have already asked this in another NPD thread, but what exactly is going on with the console market right now? Is it growing? Is it declining? I ask because every time I pop into one of these threads I seem to see year over year decreases. It just doesn't look good at all. There was a time when those were basically unheard of. Now the market looks like it is in a serious rut.

Back in 06-12 there was a huge number of mass appeal games on home console. You had the whole Wii motion control fad, Wii Fit, Rock Band and Guitar Hero along with all of the typical AAA games. Every month you'd take a look at one of these threads and see record sales.

If I look at the market now and going forward it doesn't seem to have anything that can bring that mass appeal back.

EDIT: Also what happened to sales-force on GAF? These threads used to be 1000s of posts long and now it's a ghost town.

The dedicated console market is in decline. PC and mobile are growth markets

Grazzt

I really want to play xcom 2. But it came out too late, and too many new releases in September and October. I'll buy it during Christmas.

For the first one, if the sales are bad, sure, I think you can infer something like that.

But if the sales of the first one are poor, you can't release the second one in even worse conditions (late, minimal marketing) and somehow expect success. It makes perfect sense to me if XCOM 3 doesn't hit consoles due to the sales failure of the first two.

However, they made absolutely no effort to rectify the poor sales from the first game. So, I'm not sure why they would suddenly expect the game to do better.

It's because the first game didn't sell that the second one wasn't planned for console.

They didn't tried to make it a big success since Firaxis wasn't even handling the port, they just wanted to respond to the supposed interest displayed by the console demographic which didn't materialise.

It's because the first game didn't sell that the second one wasn't planned for console.

They didn't tried to make it a big success since Firaxis wasn't even handling the port, they just wanted to respond to the supposed interest displayed by the console demographic which didn't materialise.

I'm not sure I buy that. They made it to response to supposed console interest that didn't materialize?

Sounds like they did a poor job in accurately gauging that interest then. And I'm not sure why they would port the game just based on "supposed interest" and not actually try to market it and make it successful. That sounds like a recipe for wasted dollars.

If the game sold 100k on consoles, that still would've been pretty poor. And that's my point. They made absolutely no effort to actually make it a successful title.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Oh man those digital rumblings just keep on getting better! 😁

Huh? Digital is on the rise isn't it?

Not to mention Play Anywhere is going to naturally have an effect on Microsoft digital vs physical sales. So hitting 9 physical only with a title that most likely has a decent digital share is pretty good.

That Target error would have helped too haha.

Fdkn

Not to mention Play Anywhere is going to naturally have an effect on Microsoft digital vs physical sales. So hitting 9 physical only with a title that most likely has a decent digital share is pretty good.

so how many friends out of 10 would you say that purchased the game digitally?

mejin

I'm not sure I buy that. They made it to response to supposed console interest that didn't materialize?

Sounds like they did a poor job in accurately gauging that interest then. And I'm not sure why they would port the game just based on "supposed interest" and not actually try to market it and make it successful. That sounds like a recipe for wasted dollars.

If the game sold 100k on consoles, that still would've been pretty poor. And that's my point. They made absolutely no effort to actually make it a successful title.

Yep.

zero marketing, delayed from early to late september, full price without any incentive.

They shouldn't ignore console gaming just do a better job next time.

so how many friends out of 10 would you say that purchased the game digitally?

The difference between this and Halo is Play Anywhere. It's certainly doubtful that it would have pushed digital share to half, but it's reasonable to assume that digital share would be better than the current 30% average month 1 assumption for non Play-Anywhere titles.

Kayant

Yes but nothing so far from pubs as indicated it being the bigger share of the market or "Most" in this case. Even as a play anywhere titles I don't see think it's reasonable to expect digital to be > physical sales at this stage.

Top Bottom