• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For September 2016

When a genre faces serious challenges, it needs to actually make significant design changes if it doesn't want to fade into obscurity.

That we don't have more attempts at doing that is kind of baffling. Even if the game was not especially good, Ubisoft was at least trying with The Crew.

I expect racing games going to be much more service base .
Like i can see the new GT being one game lasting the whole gen that get updates constantly .

Kill3r7

I expect racing games going to be much more service base .
Like i can see the new GT being one game lasting the whole gen that get updates constantly .

Agreed in part but service based model tends to work best if you have strong sales out the gate or start out f2p and sell season passes for cars/tracks or microtransaction. I suspect GT is the only one that can pull this off and might have to depending on sales.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Saw this post and decided to compile how racing titles have done in NPD since 2010. It has been pretty tough on the genre.

RcdOuh.jpg

I tried pulling numbers:

2010:
NFS: Hot Pursuit: 417K
Gran Turismo 5: 400K

2011:
Forza 4: Under 350K (the thread was talking about how much of a bomb this was)
NFS: The Run: We didn't get numbers, but it was less than Hot Pursuit.
Mario Kart 7: 1+ million

2012:
Forza Horizon: We didn't get numbers, but it was sub 269K (position #10).
NFS: Most Wanted: 509K

2013:
NFS: Rvials: Under 299K
Forza 5: Under 200K
Gran Turismo 6: Under 180K

2014:
Mario Kart 8: 375K
Forza Horizon 2: 120K
Driveclub: 46K
The Crew: Over 300K

2015:
Forza 6: 195K
Need For Speed: Under 390K

2016:
Forza Horizon 3: ~150K

Welfare

Am I crazy nhl never goes that high?
Ranked by highest position achieved since 2010

2010: 4.) NHL 11 (360, PS3)
2011: 5.) NHL 12 (360, PS3)
2012: 6.) NHL 13 (360, PS3)
2014: 6.) NHL 15 (PS4, XBO, 360, PS3)
2013: 8.) NHL 14 (360, PS3)
2015: 9.) NHL 16 (XBO, PS4, 360, PS3)

#4 is a really good result for NHL

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I'm going to guess that with Play Anywhere, there's still a great chunk of players that went digital, since that's a digital-only feature.

The game had amazing reviews and word of mouth, so I wouldn't worry too much about Forza Horizon 3. But whatever amonut it sold, it deserves even more since it looks fantastic.

donny2112

The XB1 monthly wins recently have brought the annual gap to its lowest since February. PS4 Pro ought to have some major impact to the graph, though. Last few months of the year have been trend changing the two previous years, and this one doesn't seem much different.

USConsole_PS4gap_annual_201609.png

CTLance

What a time to be alive, an NPD thread with only two pages, even hours after release. Yikes.

Ouch, that DQ number smarts. Everything else looks quite bleak as well.

Smellycat

It is interesting that the 3DS sales are increasing year to year in the last 4 months. I wonder if it is due to the quality of the games released in those months? I have a feeling that the increase originally started due to the Pokemon Go hype.

SwolBro

Banned
An industry being completely stagnant is impressive?

you blame the industry or the consumer on this? games have reached an every person status now. general public will only chomp on the most popular franchises while ignoring everything else. that's how it is.

Square2015

The XB1 monthly wins recently have brought the annual gap to its lowest since February. PS4 Pro ought to have some major impact to the graph, though. Last few months of the year have been trend changing the two previous years, and this one doesn't seem much different.
Did we get HW?

Bitanator

It is interesting that the 3DS sales are increasing year to year in the last 4 months. I wonder if it is due to the quality of the games released in those months? I have a feeling that the increase originally started due to the Pokemon Go hype.

But the Dragon Quest... why don't people like it

shandy706

I tried pulling numbers:

2010:
NFS: Hot Pursuit: 417K
Gran Turismo 5: 400K

2011:
Forza 4: Under 350K (the thread was talking about how much of a bomb this was)
NFS: The Run: We didn't get numbers, but it was less than Hot Pursuit.
Mario Kart 7: 1+ million

2012:
Forza Horizon: We didn't get numbers, but it was sub 269K (position #10).
NFS: Most Wanted: 509K

2013:
NFS: Rvials: Under 299K
Forza 5: Under 200K
Gran Turismo 6: Under 180K

2014:
Mario Kart 8: 375K
Forza Horizon 2: 120K
Driveclub: 46K
The Crew: Over 300K

2015:
Forza 6: 195K
Need For Speed: Under 390K

2016:
Forza Horizon 3: ~150K

Some truly amazing racers with such low numbers. Crazy

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Racing is in a bad place this gen. I fully expect that GT Sport is going to be massively down from previous titles.

Mario Kart 8 is the only real superstar in the genre this gen.

Maybe they should then try a traditional arcade racer again instead of doubling down on simulation and open-world-junk every time :/.

Halabane

My google skills have failed me so I thought Id ask in this thread.

Has PS3 been discontinued??

I need a back up for my 80gb but I only see the superslim on amazon, for $500 canadian. 5 hundred. Its driving up used console prices to $200. I feel weird paying $200 for a used console.

I bought a 12gb on sale and put in a 1TB and backed up all the games, you need to order the hard drive adapter. Its now stored in a nuclear proof bunker (or better known as my den closet).

Halabane

Doesn't include digital. Myself and 2 friends that play all bought digi for Play Anywhere.

Yeah I think this numbers are almost meaningless without digital numbers. The trend up may be seeing no the sales of a particular game but the movement to digital sales.

I only buy collector's editions with physical and usually regret it because of having to deal with the disk. the PS4 especially attractive to buying digitally since they let you put the game on multiple machines simultaneously. Additionally most physical disks won't work without some massive update on day one which means years from now if you put it into a machine it may not work unless those servers are up to give you the patch anyway. So I gave up and buy games digitally now. Except for Nintendo..especially 3ds.

Some Nobody

I was listening to PSILY podcast and heard the NPD sales results, but I didn't believe them. This is...kinda depressing.

People in this thread acting disappointed that sports games are at the top?

What? NBA 2k17 received extremely high reviews, it is one of the most critically praised games of the entire year. It is a FANTASTIC game. Not a fantastic sports game, but fantastic video game, full stop.

Some of these posts are really embarrassing.

There is nothing about games like NBA, Madden, FIFA, etc that make them any less great and AAA must-have titles than whatever your preferred title is.

We should be glad because the top 4 games this month are all really really good well made critically strong releases. Trashing them or acting disappointing just makes you look petty and foolish.

LOL. The most baffling thing about GAF since I've come here is the idea that if a game is well-made I have to care about it. But if I don't like sports games, it doesn't matter how great that game is.

If someone's bugged by this list, it's probably because we're watching other types of games become less successful. And when that happens, companies STOP making them. We just saw a studio who made a critically acclaimed, beloved title shut down because apparently being a million-plus seller isn't enough of an ROI to be considered worth making more of.

So when stuff like that happens, I'm supposed to be excited that NBA 2K is going to chart for the next nine months, despite the fact that I'm NEVER going to touch NBA a day in my life? That makes me "petty and foolish"? Or maybe, are you just irked that there are people who don't give a fuck about sports games and you didn't bother to check why.

I'm not saying you have to stop buying sports games--that's dumb. I'm saying I'm irked by the Top 10 for this month. Because if this list were a constant, I'd be out of gaming, and that would be sad for me.

Welfare

I was listening to PSILY podcast and heard the NPD sales results, but I didn't believe them. This is...kinda depressing.

LOL. The most baffling thing about GAF since I've come here is the idea that if a game is well-made I have to care about it. But if I don't like sports games, it doesn't matter how great that game is.

If someone's bugged by this list, it's probably because we're watching other types of games become less successful. And when that happens, companies STOP making them. We just saw a studio who made a critically acclaimed, beloved title shut down because apparently being a million-plus seller isn't enough of an ROI to be considered worth making more of.

So when stuff like that happens, I'm supposed to be excited that NBA 2K is going to chart for the next nine months, despite the fact that I'm NEVER going to touch NBA a day in my life? That makes me "petty and foolish"? Or maybe, are you just irked that there are people who don't give a fuck about sports games and you didn't bother to check why.

I'm not saying you have to stop buying sports games--that's dumb. I'm saying I'm irked by the Top 10 for this month. Because if this list were a constant, I'd be out of gaming, and that would be sad for me.

Uh sports games, just like FPS's always top the charts. Those games you like so much either haven't been at the top in generations or never have been, yet for some reason still get made.

If that studio you are referring to is Turtle Rock, then you're wrong. They haven't shut down, they just aren't working on Evolve anymore as their contract ended. If not them then who are you referencing?

The top 10 has been a constant state of main stays for years. Nothing to get mad about.

Wow these NPD threads have really slowed down really enjoyed them before becoming an memember but then died shortly after I got my account (after a long wait), oh well. Next month will be intresting if MS take October then Sony might be at risk of losing the US lead, also really intrested if there will be any PSVR numbers.

Welfare

Wow these NPD threads have really slowed down really enjoyed them before becoming an memember but then died shortly after I got my account (after a long wait), oh well. Next month will be intresting if MS take October then Sony might be at risk of losing the US lead, also really intrested if there will be any PSVR numbers.

The PS4 Pro is releasing in November so Sony will be back to selling more units.

LordRaptor

Next month will be intresting if MS take October then Sony might be at risk of losing the US lead

I think you're either hugely overestimating what the sales gap between 1st and 2nd place consoles will be, or hugely underestimating what the existing LTD gap looks like.

I think you're either hugely overestimating what the sales gap between 1st and 2nd place consoles will be, or hugely underestimating what the existing LTD gap looks like.

Well the reason i am saying that is PSVR launch if they don't win that month then it does not look good imo. Also i November in the US is dominated by Black Friday sales I would imagine if MS do some really good deals that could easily result in more sales than the pro thought the gap was back down to 250K? Momentum means a lot and the Xbox S is cheap and multi purpose and has 4k stuff. Will see, personally i see Sony winning October and Novemeber but a $200 XboxS Black Friday could really move some units.

Welfare

Well the reason i am saying that is PSVR launch if they don't win that month then it does not look good imo. Also i November in the US is dominated by Black Friday sales I would imagine if MS do some really good deals that could easily result in more sales than the pro thought the gap was back down to 250K? Momentum means a lot and the Xbox S is cheap and multi purpose and has 4k stuff. Will see, personally i see Sony winning October and Novemeber but a $200 XboxS Black Friday could really move some units.

First off, PSVR is not pushing new units. The things are in low stock to begin with and the price of entry for them is $799 ($299 PS4 + $499 PSVR launch bundle). They are only selling to current owners.

Also I think you are confusing the gap. Over the past 3 months (July - September) the Xbox One has closed the gap by 172,200. Now the total gap is ~1,587,000.

bigfurb

You must've been getting your sales data from crapgamerreviews

First off, PSVR is not pushing new units. The things are in low stock to begin with and the price of entry for them is $799 ($299 PS4 + $499 PSVR launch bundle). They are only selling to current owners.

Also I think you are confusing the gap. Over the past 3 months (July - September) the Xbox One has closed the gap by 172,200. Now the total gap is ~1,587,000.

Yep clearly miss read the gap going to take a while to close a 1.5m gap, okay way off base with prevoius stuff about xbox catching up, but 4 months in a row would look really bad for sony imo. All to play for this holiday

I don't know I think not only people buying ps4 for VR but a lot of advertising for VR etc and other high profile games like Red Dead (again i know next year) during major football and walking dead would have really increased PS4 mind share this month. IMO

You must've been getting your sales data from crapgamerreviews

I can assure you i did not, not a fan of his! I am a hardcore playstation fan with both a vita and psvr aswell as ps3 & 4 but as such I am actually happy if microsoft close the gap a bit competition is health and will force sony to react hopefully on the OS side!

donny2112

Wow NPD thread died at page 4? :-O

Thought you were talking about the prediction thread, at first. Just realized you're just viewing the thread at 50 posts per page. You can increase that to 100 posts per page, in the User CP, if you want.

Nevyr

Banned
I can assure you i did not, not a fan of his! I am a hardcore playstation fan with both a vita and psvr aswell as ps3 & 4 but as such I am actually happy if microsoft close the gap a bit competition is health and will force sony to react hopefully on the OS side!

Don't think it matters if you prefer msft or sony. Each to their own, I don't judge.

However where did you get the 250k number from? Obviously not from here or ZhugeEx.

Only reason I ask is because I get a chuckle and sometimes a laugh out of crazy posters making random shit up, so if I am missing out I need to know where to go.

Because 1.5mil vs 250k is not even remotely close.

donny2112

However where did you get the 250k number from? Obviously not from here or ZhugeEx.

Because 1.5mil vs 250k is not even remotely close.

He may have been looking at the PS4-XB1 gap chart from above and mistaken the 2016 gap as the overall gap. Just guessing.

Nevyr

Banned
It happens, I just want to know, in case I am missing out on some crazy talk elsewhere.

TV got nothing on the crazy you can find on the interwebz =)

Top Bottom