• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD September 2011 Sales Results [Update 3: FIFA 12, Madden 12, Dead Island]

Belgorim said:
Where does it say the 360 percentage is in units? Could it not be revenue?

I calculate them having around 47% of the total revenue(which includes handhelds so console only number would be higher).

EagleEyes

GraveRobberX said:
Now show me the wold wide #'s for both the HD consoles

Oh you mean to tell me NA isn't the center of the gaming universe... Get the Fuck Outta Here lol, I thought it was -.-, I mean I didn't know that NA was the definitive and only head count
But he posted in an NPD thread. Why would he be taliking about worldwide numbers?

IdreamofHIME said:
I don't think that's even a factor tbh. You could have given Gears a week head start and madden would still overtake it.

Eh, not really. Madden usually sells about 5-6 milllion a year, right?

Gears 3 will easily match that.

airmangataosenai said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2310030&postcount=55

Yup, PSP sure was dead in Japan before Monster Hunter!

The PSP came out of the gate selling really well everywhere (US + PAL + JPN), then sales fell off a cliff, then were rejuvenated by Monster Hunter and a host of other releases in Japan.

GraveRobberX said:

Oh you mean to tell me NA isn't the center of the gaming universe... Get the Fuck Outta Here lol, I thought it was -.-, I mean I didn't know that NA was the definitive and only head count
I could have sworn I entered an NPD thread...weird...

Shurs said:
Best selling game of the month, or best selling game ever?

Either way, there was no chance of that happening, unless he meant best selling PS3-exclusive of the month.

Not exclusive, just best selling PS3 game in the month. I'm sure it was just a tongue in cheek comment promoting the game. Here is the exact quote:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30369761&postcount=223

GraveRobberX said:

In NPD threads it is.

DMeisterJ

Banned
airmangataosenai said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2310030&postcount=55

Yup, PSP sure was dead in Japan before Monster Hunter!

It's always revisionist history re: PSP numbers and Japan. The answer has always been once the PSP2k came out, it received a sustained boost in sales, compared to when MHP2 launched in terms of sustained sales. MHP2 was a big game and did a bunch of hardware, but the PSP2k was the real deal in terms of hardware sales.

I'm truly surprised people are still buying COD: Black Ops at a rate that places that title in the top 10 list of the past month (almost 10 months after initial release).

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Sho_Nuff82 said:
Eh, not really. Madden usually sells about 5-6 milllion a year, right?

Gears 3 will easily match that.
Gears won't match that in NA. Worldwide maybe, but obviously Madden sells the vast majority of its sales in NA.

GraveRobberX said:

Gaf, have we ever made it to post #244 before Worldwide figures mention/meltdown? Is this a new record?

RPGamer92

Banned
I'm also surprised to see people STILL buying BO in a pretty good amount when last month, MW3 was 2 months away. Will be interesting to see if BO charts for October.

DarkPanda

The 3DS is gaining some steam, it looks like the price cut is really helping. Hopefully this is the beginning of a permanent turn around for the system.

As for the Wii, the only system that didn't outsell it is the original DS (and probably because the new low price on the 3DS is finally cannibalizing sales). Oh how the mighty have fallen. *insert fanboy ranting here about how the Wii would be doing better if NoA had released Xenoblade*

Fjordson

Damn. 360 keeps selling. Pretty impressive. Good month for Sony, too.
GraveRobberX said:

lol. Someone's a bit fuzzy on what NPD means.

Effect

Averon said:
3DS
Only 260K after that massive price cut? I don't think the 3DS will gain much traction as long as the DS exists.
Once Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 come out and people see that as 3DS only that will change. Those that first must have new games the system will have. I think many are waiting until those drop and how the system does after the holiday. Nintendo hasn't even started advertising those yet. Meanwhile in Japan they have already rolled out the Monster Hunter 3G commercials I believe. That most likely is helping sales there as people are getting ready for that to drop in addition to the Mario games.

The price issue has been taken care of. The games are the second half of the coin and those are about to start flowing.

IoCaster

GraveRobberX said:

Hey, tone it down there console zealot. I don't have any compelling interest in the tard wars. I am genuinely curious, but not to the extent that it means anything to me. WTF?

BKK said:
42% is rounded to nearest percent;

(438000 / .415) - (438000 + 240000) = 377,422
(438000 / .425) - (438000 + 240000) = 352,588

374K is within the margin of rounding error.

BKK said:
To expand on that;

438000 + 374000 + 240000 = 1052000

438000 / 1052000 = 41.63%
374000 / 1052000 = 35.55%
240000 / 1052000 = 22.81%

I'm convinced. That and the 20% YOY growth for the PS3 from Sony's PR seals the deal.

360 - 438K
PS3 - 374K
Wii - 240K

Talwind

When Nintendo says Nintendo DS™ family aren't they referring to DS, DSlite, DSi, and DSiLL only? It even says the "family" sold 145k in the PR.

I've seen it explained in like every NPD thread but its ignored every time for some reason.

fernoca

IoCaster said:
Hey, tone it down there console zealot. I don't have any compelling interest in the tard wars. I am genuinely curious, but not to the extent that it means anything to me. WTF?
Yeah Io, get the fuck out of here with your talk about NA numbers in an NPD thread!

:p

Erethian

Effect said:
Once Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 come out and people see that as 3DS only that will change. Those that first must have new games the system will have. I think many are waiting until those drop and how the system does after the holiday. Nintendo hasn't even started advertising those yet. Meanwhile in Japan they have already rolled out the Monster Hunter 3G commercials I believe. That most likely is helping sales there as people are getting ready for that to drop in addition to the Mario games.

The price issue has been taken care of. The games are the second half of the coin and those are about to start flowing.

A price cut is only as good as the software releases it's put along side, or the back catalog of the system. Which is part of what made the 3DS price cut odd, in that usually you time it to coincide with a major title. Or it's later enough in a systems life that there's a substantial library of games and you pick up sales on people for whom the old price didn't justify said library.

Curufinwe

IoCaster said:
LTD
360 28,841,373
PS3 17,896,921

So how long will it take them to catch up?

We've known for a long time Sony would never catch MS in the US, even before the 360 started outselling the Wii, so I assume this wasn't a serious question.

Patryn

I'm genuinely curious. Has there been any year in which the PS3 outsold the 360 in NA?

I'm talking over a one year period, not single months.

EagleEyes

Zen said:
Oh god, don't start this for the 9000th time.
He wouldn't have to if people stayed on topic. Once again NPD is the only sales thread where worldwide numbers get brought up. Why is that?

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
fernoca said:
The funny thing is that Marius_ was probably doing the exact same thing; while checking the thread... with the glass and everything. :p
21awmkl.jpg

I gotta stop stealing Koodo's gifs

Man God

Non-Canon Member
velvet_nitemare said:
Why is FIFA 12 so low? Released near the end of the period, but still.

O beautiful for spacious skies,
For amber waves of grain,
For purple mountain majesties
Above the fruited plain!
America! America!
God shed his grace on thee
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea!

AniHawk

BurntPork said:
It won't sell systems in 2011 because it's on every system. Why would I buy a 3DS for a game that I can play on the internet for free?

yeah, you're in the right on this one. tetris does still sell decent amounts in retail, but it's not a system seller.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
EagleEyes said:
He wouldn't have to if people stayed on topic. Once again NPD is the only sales thread where worldwide numbers get brought up. Why is that?
Sony fanboys. (not that you didn't know the answer).

EagleEyes said:

Here is the dumb thing too is that if you look at the top selling games at NPD, the vast majority of the list don't even sell to a worldwide audience. Why add in Japanese hardware numbers when games like Madden, Gears, Resistance, NHL, and Call of Duty are the top selling games? These games only sell to certain regions in the first place.

Top Bottom