• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD September 2011 Sales Results [Update 3: FIFA 12, Madden 12, Dead Island]

Serenity

IoCaster said:
Hey, tone it down there console zealot. I don't have any compelling interest in the tard wars. I am genuinely curious, but not to the extent that it means anything to me. WTF?

It was a silly bait question as long as the 360 out sells the Ps3 by even one unit a month it could never catch up so either you are not very good at math or simply going for fanbot laughs.

Ridley327

jett said:
Interested in ICO & SOTC collection numbers.
Most stores didn't get in much more than 4-8 copies, so I can't imagine that Sony was expecting anything amazing. GoW PSP Collection would be more interesting to see.

allan-bh said:
This topic need numbers for Madden 12, Resistance 3 and Star Fox 64 3D

I saw some Gears news about 3 million, but there's no way that was just US....may have even only been shipped numbers too.

AniHawk

jett said:
PS3 will likely surpass the 360 worldwide though by the time the generation is over.
it wouldn't be much of a victory. maybe a few million like xbox v gamecube. the difference being the 360 will have sold much more software overall.

BurntPork

Banned
EagleEyes said:
Once again NPD is the only sales thread where worldwide numbers get brought up. Why is that?
Because the world hates America and tries to find fault in everything Americans do. I personally know people who were extremely sad that America didn't default this year and are eagerly awaiting another great depression here.

Curufinwe said:
Cause Americans prefer handegg to football? I don't think Fifa was "low" at #4.

Technically, the game of American football is not even allowed to start until a player touches the ball with his foot.

Huff

Banned
AniHawk said:
it wouldn't be much of a victory. maybe a few million like xbox v gamecube. the difference being the 360 will have sold much more software overall.

Pretty sure jett wasn't being serious and was just repeating the same statement that has been said for the past couple years about Sony catching MS.

I agree with your point though.

BurntPork said:
Because the world hates America and tries to find fault in everything Americans do. I personally know people who were extremely sad that America didn't default this year and are eagerly awaiting another great depression here.

Thanks for giving the most farfetch'd reason you could think of.

Phonomezer said:
I don't know who that woman is, but she looks like a Muppet.
hagSr.png

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
However, I remember Iwata talked about how in USA the success of a certain platform grows a lot slower than in Japan and Europe, in one of famous Nintendo Q&A...and it seems the recent history is with him.
Even 360 started slow, IIRC.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
jett said:
Interested in ICO & SOTC collection numbers.
I don't think it matters one way or the other. this generation was marked by:
1- Sony losing their market dominance
2- Wii proving the best technology is not going to sell the most
3- Price matters
4- Exclusives do not matter as they once did
5- FPS on the rise, everything else going down
6- Japan less and less a factor in setting the agenda in gaming

And not by:
Coming up first, second or even third (without taking into account the actual numbers sold) is going to make a big difference in developer support.

Edit: What the hell? did you edit your post? I swear I was answering to this comment:

PS3 will likely surpass the 360 worldwide though by the time the generation is over.

Mpl90 said:
However, I remember Iwata talked about how in USA the success of a certain platform grows a lot slower than in Japan and Europe, in one of famous Nintendo Q&A...and it seems the recent history is with him.
Even 360 started slow, IIRC.

Yeah, he noted himself how Japanese sales are usually a good indicator of future sales. Usually worldwide trends happen first in Japan, then in Europe, then finally in the US who typically lag behind everyone else (GBA lasted the longest there too)

Erethian

Boney said:
Wonder if Starfox broke 60k

“And I told the Star Fox 64 producer that if we can’t re-convince people to play Star Fox games, it might be the last one we make – so everyone is working very hard,” he added, ominously.

Well that about wraps it up for Star Fox.

Jadedx

Banned
BurntPork said:
And people wonder why we Americans don't care about other cultures; why should we, they hate us.

Carl

Wow PS3 numbers are way higher than i thought, and 360 numbers are way lower than i thought considering GeOW.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Gadfly said:
4- Exclusives do not matter as they once did
That's really debatable. With most third party games going multiplatform and platforms delivering similar features the only thing that sets consoles apart from each other are the exclusives.

AniHawk said:
well at least we got four remakes of the best one in the series.
When did Majora get a remake?

kuYuri

Dead Island shows that most people aren't tired of zombies yet.

Glad Deus Ex is still charting and that Space Marine just made it in there despite Gears 3.

Wow @ Black Ops still charting 10 months after release. Amazing, can't wait to see exact numbers for MW3.

Just curious, we know the distance between the 360 and PS3 is over 11 million but how far is it from 1st place to 2nd place? How much of a gap is there from the Wii over the 360?

Carl said:
Wow PS3 numbers are way higher than i thought, and 360 numbers are way lower than i thought considering GeOW.

PS3 got a small bump for a price cut and GOW is selling to existing owners looking at software numbers in comparision to hardware.

Jive Turkey said:
That's really debatable. With most third party games going multiplatform and platfomrs delivering similar features the only thing that sets consoles apart from each other are the exclusives.

First party exclusives have never really mattered. If they did, the N64 would have beat the PS1. There are a ton of other factors that come into play. This gen, consumers have picked price of the unit over exclusive games.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
OldJadedGamer said:
First party exclusives have never really mattered. If they did, the N64 would have beat the PS1. There are a ton of other factors that come into play. This gen, consumers have picked price of the unit over exclusive games.
I'm not talking about first party only. Example: I bought a PS3 partly to play Valkyria Chronicles.

Curufinwe said:
Cause Americans prefer handegg to football? I don't think Fifa was "low" at #4.

I know that, i live in Cali. But it's on a bunch of systems, and there's a decent following for football out here. oh well.

Dunlop

Erethian said:
Yeah.

Next up on the chopping block is Zelda.

I hope so, it would force Nintendo to get their creative juices flowing again and stop banking so much on their older titles.

Impressive numbers for the 360/PS3

Curufinwe

OldJadedGamer said:

I think that the first party exclusive Wii Sports is the major reason the Wii is in first place worldwide by a large margin.

It's great that Dead Island is right up there, it's one of the sleeper hits of the year. It's a shame that a poor launch has turned a lot of people off, the game is fine now (at least on PC), and has been since a few days after launch.

megamerican

Glad that Warhammer charted. Not that I loved the game that much, I just don't want to see THQ shitcan the developer and series.

LuchaShaq

Banned
pharmboy044 said:
lol at people who can't believe the PS3 number. Just admit it, the $50 price cut was effective and was a smart move.

A price drop is always good but I figured that anyone smart enough to know about a price drop was smart enough to buy one of those who bought it for 200-220 where it has been numerous times since last winter even big places like amazon. Not to mention all the times a place like target had ps3 at nomral price but with a 100$ gift card. I was wrong

Subitai

I don't know. I was expecting more of a boost w/ Gears to Xbox hardware, or at least more separation from PS3 even with the price cut. I'm anxious to see how things go hardware wise Nov./Dec. to see if people are holding back and there's a Wii type boost again for Xbox.

LuchaShaq said:
A price drop is always good but I figured that anyone smart enough to know about a price drop was smart enough to buy one of those who bought it for 200-220 where it has been numerous times since last winter even big places like amazon. Not to mention all the times a place like target had ps3 at nomral price but with a 100$ gift card. I was wrong

If anything it shows that the general gaming audience isn't constantly refreshing CAG for deals. Unless it's advertised on TV (or at WalMart), they don't know about it.

Curufinwe

megamerican said:
Glad that Warhammer charted. Not that I loved the game that much, I just don't want to see THQ shitcan the developer and series.

I didn't even notice that. It's actually quite an accomplishment.

megamerican said:
Shitcan Relic? Really? Just because Space Marine didn't do that well, doesn't mean the RTS games don't. Maybe if Space Marine was more like the DoW series, it would have done a bit better and appealed more to the RTS fans like myself. Drunk ass Leahy with your shitisms. The winds of shit will never blow in Relics direction.

Jive Turkey said:
I'm not talking about first party only. Example: I bought a PS3 partly to play Valkyria Chronicles.

Third party exclusives are the extreme exception to the norm this gen. Cost and ease of use of the systems have taken the major priority over exclusive games for consumers this gen.

Curufinwe said:
I think that the first party exclusive Wii Sports is the major reason the Wii is in first place worldwide by a large margin.

I don't. WiiSports was just a tech demo to show off what the new controller could do. That's why it was a forced pack in with the system. Consumers would have been lost on what to do with the Wii when they got it if it wasn't a pack in. Also, I was talking mostly about the HD systems as they are so close together in features and the main thing that separates them is first party games. The Wii's controller alone puts it in a different field than the HD twins IMO.

Kerrby

Banned
Hurry up Mario for 3DS, I need something to play!

OoT is doing good numbers, hopefully that means Majoras Mask 3D version please :)?

JdFoX187

Banned
Darkshier said:
Shitcan Relic? Really? Just because Space Marine didn't do that well, doesn't mean the RTS games don't. Maybe if Space Marine was more like the DoW series, it would have done a bit better and appealed more to the RTS fans like myself. Drunk ass Leahy with your shitisms. The winds of shit will never blow in Relics direction.
Space Marine did surprisingly well for a game that, from a casual perspective, looks similar to Gears of War 3, and the fact that it came out literally two weeks before the biggest game of the 360's year. Not to mention Warhammer 40K knowledge is fairly thin for most casual gamers. The game didn't need to be an RTS to sell more on consoles.

OldJadedGamer said:
I don't. WiiSports was just a tech demo to show off what the new controller could do. That's why it was a forced pack in with the system. Consumers would have been lost on what to do with the Wii when they got it if it wasn't a pack in. Also, I was talking mostly about the HD systems as they are so close together in features and the main thing that separates them is first party games. People aren't buying the Wii for third party games so first party is really all it has.

You are wrong (plus your points make no sense). Wii sports was a massive draw.

Going out on a limb I will say it sold more consoles than any other game on any other system...ever.

You are essentially saying that first party exclusives do not sell consoles. At the same time you point out Wii had no 3rd party software.....in your imaginary world why on earth would Wii be by far the #1 selling console? (hint - first party moves boxes)

Duxxy3

PS3, Wii and 3DS were big surprises to me.

I expected the 3DS to have a large drop off and, even though it dropped in weekly sales, it did better than i predicted.

Top Bottom