• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia is building out a studio to remaster classic games for raytracing

M0G

I think this could be awesome if they choose the right games. If they end up just sticking with games with publicly available source I think Doom 3 and maybe the later Jedi Knight games would be a nice starting point. I'd love to see games that struggle with modern setups for whatever reason, but that's probably asking too much.

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
That's a very good idea. Many people would love to see their favorite classic games with RT. Q2 and Minecraft looks awesome with RTX.

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
I'd love to see older games remastered. Because so few new games come out anymore.

Bet quake 2 would look cool. I remember when I first got a 3dfx card and the difference it made.

I'm playing through Doom 2016 at the moment, this game would be amazing with raytracing (if it ran at a decent speed at a good resolution).

It's likely to be the case for many many games.... My guess is that they will get much older titles.

scalman

rematser older games sure, that they can get permission to do that. its not that all games are for you to take and remaaster them and sell for profit again. ... so no they wont remaster any older hits, just those from bethesda family out there.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I don’t understand the hype, I have an RTX card and Quake II RTX looks like garbage. Like I understand the tech even but that doesn’t make it suddenly look good.

scalman

problem is that its very demanding , it needs newest GPU from nvidia, so that was their plan to begin with .. sell more hi end RTX GPU's

Last edited:
Classic, as in, within the last 10 years?

I just don’t see why I would care to play Jumping Flash with proper reflections. No offense.

xPikYx

If you think we had many remasters just to upgrade the resolution, this would be a much better way to give out a remaster

Zorjo

Neo Member
Bringing the old games to new audience it´s always good. At least in my opinion. I´m not sure about the ray-tracing, though. It´s not a technique suitable for all kind of games...

Woo-Fu

Banned
is raytracing that much of an improvement to remade a game just for that?
It is if you're trying to sell $600 videocards to people who already hit 60 FPS at their target resolution in every game they play. First you try to get studios on board with co-development/co-marketing funds and when that doesn't work because RTX isn't worth the horsepower you have to spend on it compared to other elements of a game you then have to spin up your own studio(s) to try to push the tech to consumers.

tldr; Developers who have a choice aren't jumping on board the RTX train so Nvidia will create one that doesn't have a choice to promote their latest "reason to upgrade" feature.

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
Developers who have a choice aren't jumping on board the RTX train so Nvidia will create one that doesn't have a choice to promote their latest "reason to upgrade" feature.
More and more developers promise to use RTX features in their games (Cyberpunk, Doom, watch dogs just to name a few), and because next gen consoles will feature HW RT as well, so RT should be a standard feature one year from now.

NeoGiffer

EGv5HB8WoAEXWZH

It means nobody wants to implement rtx in their games. Obviously because it's slow. The only way to sell new cards with even less improvements is to reuse the old games that run at 9000 fps on modern hardware.

No, that's not what it means. Stop being so pessimistic. Having old games being remastered with ray tracing could give us some amazing results. There's really no downside to this.

GAMETA

Banned
Great, I can't wait to tweak the settings and oc my GPU to play 1997/98 games.

Turok on ULTRA will look great, I can already hear the enemies screaming in glorious Ray Tracing! I hope it runs!

Woo-Fu

Banned
More and more developers promise to use RTX features in their games (Cyberpunk, Doom, watch dogs just to name a few), and because next gen consoles will feature HW RT as well, so RT should be a standard feature one year from now.
Won't even be close to standard a year from now. It won't be standard until you can get 60+ FPS with it turned on at 1080p on a ~$200 videocard without sacrificing anything else. Even then some developers won't bother implementing it.

Feel like i'm the only person who pays attention to the Steam hardware survey results sometimes. Anybody who does pay attention to that survey will realize that RTX is too expensive for widespread adoption to occur. Give it a couple generations of tech and if Nvidia sticks with it maybe it'll be a feature that doesn't break your wallet and your FPS in half.

We've been down this road before.

Last edited:

dirthead

Banned
Won't even be close to standard a year from now. It won't be standard until you can get 60+ FPS with it turned on at 1080p on a ~$200 videocard without sacrificing anything else. Even then some developers won't bother implementing it.

Feel like i'm the only person who pays attention to the Steam hardware survey results sometimes. Anybody who does pay attention to that survey will realize that RTX is too expensive for widespread adoption to occur. Give it a couple generations of tech and if Nvidia sticks with it maybe it'll be a feature that doesn't break your wallet and your FPS in half.

And 4k screens are getting so common that it's even worse because people are going to expect good FPS at 4k.

Ray tracing was a big misfire for the time Nvidia tried to push it. The bottom line is that developers got really good at faking most of these effects, it doesn't even look obviously better, and the performance hit is huge.

They need to get back to the bread and butter of displays. Push higher resolutions at higher framerates.

pawel86ck

Banned

Steam hardware survey is one thing, but on PC platform people can always turn off RTX features, so it's not like developers will lose potential customers by including RTX in their games. Like I have said in my previous post, because next gen consoles will be build around hardware RT developers will use RT features anyway on PC as well, multiplatform games are build with consoles in mind after all.

Last edited:

psorcerer

Banned
people can always turn off RTX features

Then it's pointless. To really make rt shine you will need special materials, different light setup, different scene preprocessing. Etc.
There is no way to make it "togglable" unless it's just a few effects like reflections and shadows (but even there light setup is important).

Ivan

Minecraft goes from duke nukem to Crysis thanks to rt

It is technically impressive, but the point of minecraft look and art style is lost completely. The literally remade it.
And too me this is the craziest of all examples because minecraft is played by kids mostly all over the world, choosing them as a target for RTX gpus is beyond me :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom