• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia RTX 30XX |OT|

niilokin

hey people I'm not a tech guy and I bought a 3070 pc for 3D and 2D work and right out of the box it sounds like this:

I checked there's no obstruction or cables stuck or anything in those fans. like a lazy giant electric toothbrush

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I didn't see a general pc community thread anywhere. So if it belongs somewhere else, please direct me.

In short. My son is wanting a pc. Where is a good place to shop for a prebuilt pc. Google throws up a ton of different places I've never heard of, and was hoping someone here could point me in the direction of a good place to shop around in order to get a rough idea of prices.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I didn't see a general pc community thread anywhere. So if it belongs somewhere else, please direct me.

In short. My son is wanting a pc. Where is a good place to shop for a prebuilt pc. Google throws up a ton of different places I've never heard of, and was hoping someone here could point me in the direction of a good place to shop around in order to get a rough idea of prices.
Hi Shelookdlv18,
This would be the best place to ask: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/i-need-a-new-pc-2021-sold-out-edition.1585334/page-12

Celcius

°Temp. member
I finally got a 3070 Ti XC3 Ultra from the evga queue today. Should be like 50% faster than my aging 1080 Ti (though with less vram) so I'll use it until my turn finally comes around for the 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra (I'm like 2 minutes away but that queue only moved like 30 seconds forward today).

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

I got today an Asus TUF 3080 Ti at MSRP.. what a fucking beast of a card

off work shift over GIF

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

I was finally able to able to get a 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra in the Evga queue today.
I'd like to upgrade to water cooling too at some point, as my cpu runs hot and my current 3070 Ti XC3 Ultra is a bit noisy as well.

I would be curious to know when you receive it what you think of the noise. The range of AIBs with 2.7 to 3 slots, 3 fans seem to perform very well compared to XC3 variants. My Asus TUF is so freaking heavy from the cooler, but wow, I’m super impressed with the temperatures and noise, way less noisy than the 3060 EVGA XC I had before scoring the 3080 TI.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I would be curious to know when you receive it what you think of the noise. The range of AIBs with 2.7 to 3 slots, 3 fans seem to perform very well compared to XC3 variants. My Asus TUF is so freaking heavy from the cooler, but wow, I’m super impressed with the temperatures and noise, way less noisy than the 3060 EVGA XC I had before scoring the 3080 TI.
It seems to be significantly quieter than the 3070 Ti XC3 Ultra that I just finished using. My temps were at 80C running benchmarks though so I'll look into undervolting and also possibly even a case with better airflow or more case fans. I'm loving the performance though.

Buggy Loop

Is it just me or are prices coming down for GPU's?

I see 3080's move from 2000 to 1400 here.

It is.

In Canada we clearly got a wave of shipments, and stores (Best Buy) took action to be present in store for the cards to stomp on online bots. On top of LHR cards flooding the market, crypto losing it’s peak values, buzz around eth moving away from GPU mining, and I think the situation is already much much better than months ago.

A miner investing heavily in GPUs nowadays probably will have a negative return on investment when all things are said and done by fall/winter.

Kenpachii

Eon2f332u2M4bBmr0lPIY3XN.png

Seems like 3080's are found now for 1100 more frequently, but 1200-1300 are still a thing.

Anyway ordered a asus tuf 3080 lht oc for 1100. probably get it somewhere in this week.

It's clear to me that LHT versions are coming in pretty often now in shops. So prices willl probably still move down.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

For anybody looking for 3080's or 3090's, skip the FE models ( 3090 not sure about ). But the cooling of the stock fans from nvidia are proper trash, v-ram are incredible shit cooled.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Made a little review about the asus 3080 tuf 10gb OC model and experience i got with RT and DLSS coming from a GPU that doesn't have it.

After i bricked my beloved 1080ti, i finally got the 3080 arrived now ( asus 3080 tuf 10gb OC model ).

I originally wanted a 12gb model 3080ti, but any good model would cost me about 500-600 more which honestly isn't much interesting at that price point. So moved to a 3080 and was like, lets see what RT and DLSS really do.
As i only play at 1080p, people mentioned it was a bit overkill, but they said the same thing about 1080ti and frankly i see the card as a 1080p card now for sure. 1440p u gotta sacrfices settings for sure.

As the temps of memory are insanely high on Founders edition models, it was no option so i moved to TUF one which has absolute fantastic cooling on it. And frankly super happy with it so far even OCing thing barely gets hot like 60c on core and 70c on memory.

OC:
Card is about 5% faster then FE 3080 models, and OC on it is another 5-6%, in short it sits around 3080ti performance without breakign a sweat, 19k timespy gpu score.

Anyway did some tests with 3080 vs my 1080ti to see what the increases really are at hard spots ( 1080p )

Rasterization ( no rt / dlss ) games ( 1080p ):

Witcher 3:

A game that always was a GPU bottleneck for me, upgraded from 580 > 290 > 290 crossfire > 970 > 1080ti for it and now 3080, which honestly always is a lovely thing to test gpu's out on. As its seriously demanding at spots where u still tank to low 60's even with a 1080ti.
3080 was 120-200 ( cpu bottleneck all day long 80% gpu taxation mostly ) at 8x hairworks. Frankly its just amazing to see how far we moved forwards when u see this performance. Didn't expect it to be this fast.

AC origin
Absolute dog shit optimization from ubisoft, but still 100+ fps and in city's lows of 80's versus 80 fps and low 70's. So not much gain here which was to be expected as its a cpu hog.
However at oced, that 3080 performs at 4k about the same as 1080ti would do in 1080p. 4k ultra settings is finally playable now. Impressive to say the least.
God world ( most demanding one, went up from 70 > 148 ) where cpu is no longer a thing, so 2x the performance gain which frankly even in this title is just amazing to see.

AC odyssey:
Most demanding place is at night big city, look over the city + torch out on the wall, 1080ti would only manage mid 40's here at best, 3080 sits at mid 70's. so good improvement, its safe to say the card at ultra settings ( some ultra settings are incredible demanding ) its good to see its finally playable at rock solid 60+ everywhere. 4k same story as with origin around 1080ti 1080p.
God place ( atlantis ) saw massive minimum gains from 53 > 78, that's from not smooth to smooth. ( absolute hardest to render place, so average 100+ )

Immortals risen phoenix:
1080ti 1080p : high 50's at time's, lots of low 60's at ultra settings ( follows the odyssey engine )
3080 1080p : low 90's, its in another league really. plays super smooth at 100 fps pretty much always or higher.
4k = low 60's at times, normal ~70's. basically performs better then 1080p on 1080ti.

Weird part:
Weird part is, odyssey and Risen where both CPU bottlenecked before GPU bottlenecked on my 1080ti, yet i get far higher minimums on the 3080 which is weird. Either the engine ( which is shared between the two games ) has a bottleneck going on for pascal cards it seems like, or it does something that allows the cpu to free up more resources. Weird.

Again the same CPU related stuff showcases here yet again, i should not see these increases in town area's but i do. As the 1080ti was often cpu limited. Yet 3080 isn't.

AC Valhalla:
Only tested 4k as i was ocing, saw 53 fps dips, so 60 fps is out the question for 4k ultra settings. Still that high performance on such dog shit optimized game for nvidia is pretty amazing to see 1080ti wouldn't even get close towards it.

Original metro 2033: ( not the remake, this one is a gpu killer and was butchered in the remake in order to even make it run at 60 fps on PS4 )
Game came out, had 2x 580's at the time top end gpu's, couldn't get higher then low 10's in it at certain locations and dropped all the way to low 20's in fights. The game has some next level lightning effects in it so tested all my cards in it through the years at 1080p.
580's = 13 fps lows
970 = 24 lows
1080ti = 45 fps lows
3080 = 74 fps lows
So 3080 is finally the card to run this game smooth lol. in 99% of the cases tho u are now cpu limited instead of gpu which is just amazing to see for me.

I can say now for the first time in my life that at 1080p, all demanding games i tested and play even old ones are finally hitting 60 fps minimums at 1080p. Which is honestly amazing to see.

RT + DLSS Games

Bought myself a bunch of RT games to see how it holds up still have to test most of them ( metro exodus / shadow of the tomb / control / medium / riftbreak demo ).

Control: ( Ultra settings + RT max + DLSS quality at 1080p )
1080ti = low 60's, averages around 70's ( no RT or DLSS )
3080ti = low 90's, average 120's with high's of 170's ( cpu bottlenecked even in this title at those settings ), DLSS quality ( didn't even bother with other modes ) makes 90 > 130 fps is bizar how much performance it adds here.
3080ti = without RT = ~180 fps, cpu bottlenecked.

RT experience in control:

Reflections are great, colors boucning other objects is also well done hower the light is not. RT light is weird, its kinda makes the visuals blurry to the point it looks like u need glasses on after a while. And no its not DLSS as its blurrier without DLSS's actually. Tried to mess around with the settings and its RT that does it, it makes the edges around objects more blurred instead of sharp which is something they should look into.

The fact DF never pointed this out is just weird to me. Its noticable straight up instantly.

RT experience however through gameplay was fine as the FPS was high enough to not bother me, 90+ fps is where its comfortable.

DLSS: experience in control.

My first encounter with DLSS, i must say its great. The performance jump is massive in games even on quality 90 > 130. that's like a 30% increase in performance which is for sure noticable.
Quality increase is there for sure, i saw a bunch of cans where i was at a bit further away from me, they looked noticable blurry at 4x msaa, DLSS made them sharp.
In short good technology and absolute no reason to not enable it.

Which makes in my vision not having DLSS on in benchmarks even without RT, completely invalid. there is absolute no reason even at 1080p to not use it.

Metro exodus enhanced edition.

Saw some people benching this game on weaker RT cards and it seems to be reflections and extreme RT are killing performance here, so was expecting to see the gpu to get nuked here.

( Ultra settings + RT max + physics + hairworks everything maxed + DLSS quality at 1080p )

3080: Game moves from 110 lows to 200 high's, average about 160.
1080ti was without RT in base game it had dips to low 60's in comparison.

I had to recheck my settings a few times because i couldn't believe that it was running this fast with all that enabled. DLSS adds massive amounts of performance here, a spot without DLSS = 90 with its 140. It basically kicks the card into a new league.

RT Experience:
Reflections = basically next generation morrowind, that's what it felt like. The water reacting towards bullits and shadows in it is incredible to see. some area's are beautiful with all the reflections in the water.
Lightning = great, it really shows in certain moments but a lot of times i won't notice it
Shadow = great when it does work, a lot of times light doesn't cast shadows on objects that it hits towards the wall, its jarring and frankly should have been done. In more closed area's its great.

RT in general makes the game extremely light tho, its practically day everywhere. Its probably the negative solution of RT in games as lights bounces everywhere, a good example is here.
09222b5ef6cd144f93de36ac5a81cd4f.png

It also kinda kills of the mood the game tries to set with baked lightning in a lot of places here's a example.
maxresdefault.jpg

It's a example where baked lightning for example wins in my book and RT just makes it look sterile.

- Also light seems to take a second in buildings to actually bounce around which is jarring.
- Another downside, was that if you get to far away from stuff. reflections seems to stop, which is jarring, they need to address this.

For last - Big problem metro has however is that objects are straight up PS3 detailed really really low detailed, lots of blurry textures because of low detailed objects and straight up it feels like a old game just looking at it that aged badly. The RT lifts it up a bit and if you look at the scenerio at large its acceptable, but if you played more games the lack of detail is jarring to the point i wish they moved to a new engine entirely instead of sitting on the decade old models.

Maybe its better later on in the game, because early game is pretty bad at it.

Riftbreaker demo which has FSR:

1080ti could do raytracing funny enough in this demo at 1080p, but u had to move to performance FSR which would nuke the picture quality by a bit for sure otherwise it was unplayable.
1080ti did like 50's low then, i can't remember what it did without RT.
3080 sits at with everything on RT wise no FSR, with FSR a nice 30% performance boost u gain. detail difference is a bit lower but not much noticable.

62f44573ff249e338032aa5ba6f608d4.gif

Coudn't believe my eyes, hows this even possible it would drop to low 100's once its night. But god dam that performance jump is massive. RT doesn't even make a impact on its performance.

Conclusion:

Is 3080 worth it over a 1080ti?

Yes.

Performance:
DLSS makes that 2x performance gain in some games like control straight up 3+. That's huge.
Its 50% faster then 1080ti with all RT on in titles at 1080p.
RT + high performance yes.

Quality:
Visual quality is higher with DLSS its noticable, same goes for RT so yea.
Games without RT or DLSS no gains.

Resolution:
1080p = a bit overkill.
1440p = good.
4k = not fast enough for my taste.

Weak spots:
10gb v-ram, not much future left if v-ram rises so we gotta see how that works out
FE models v-ram memory cooling is trash, those FE stock coolers are proper garbage.

Sound:
Quiet, can't hear the fans at all even at 80%. however 80>100% = 3x as loud tho u hear it really well, however the cooler never goes there ever even at max oc and max taxation for hours. I think its a benchmark preset.

Temps:
Cool on gpu and v-rams, never exceeded on v-rams over 80c what i saw with as low as 60c and that's with a OC. GPU is about 55-66c. 66c is absolute highest i saw it go in a hot room already.

Wattage:
Thing burns power, 350w is as high as i saw it go and u will feel the heat. Undervolting is probably a good idea, but i kinda like max performance.

Price:
700, would buy it. i think its worth 1k if it had 16gb of memory and u come from pascal ~900-1000 series. Its a big jump forwards. U come from 2000 series, don't even bother wait for 40 series.

Small update:

I figured out why AC had such high minimum gains, its the newest nvidia driver that for some reason decided to optimize the game 3 years in or something for there gpu drivers which ups the lower performance by a lot in cpu heavy area's.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Made a little review about the asus 3080 tuf 10gb OC model and experience i got with RT and DLSS coming from a GPU that doesn't have it.

After i bricked my beloved 1080ti, i finally got the 3080 arrived now ( asus 3080 tuf 10gb OC model ).

I originally wanted a 12gb model 3080ti, but any good model would cost me about 500-600 more which honestly isn't much interesting at that price point. So moved to a 3080 and was like, lets see what RT and DLSS really do.
As i only play at 1080p, people mentioned it was a bit overkill, but they said the same thing about 1080ti and frankly i see the card as a 1080p card now for sure. 1440p u gotta sacrfices settings for sure.

As the temps of memory are insanely high on Founders edition models, it was no option so i moved to TUF one which has absolute fantastic cooling on it. And frankly super happy with it so far even OCing thing barely gets hot like 60c on core and 70c on memory.

OC:
Card is about 5% faster then FE 3080 models, and OC on it is another 5-6%, in short it sits around 3080ti performance without breakign a sweat, 19k timespy gpu score.

Anyway did some tests with 3080 vs my 1080ti to see what the increases really are at hard spots ( 1080p )

Witcher 3:

A game that always was a GPU bottleneck for me, upgraded from 580 > 290 > 290 crossfire > 970 > 1080ti for it and now 3080, which honestly always is a lovely thing to test gpu's out on. As its seriously demanding at spots where u still tank to low 60's even with a 1080ti.
3080 was 120-200 ( cpu bottleneck all day long 80% gpu taxation mostly ) at 8x hairworks. Frankly its just amazing to see how far we moved forwards when u see this performance. Didn't expect it to be this fast.

AC origin
Absolute dog shit optimization from ubisoft, but still 100+ fps and in city's lows of 80's versus 80 fps and low 70's. So not much gain here which was to be expected as its a cpu hog.
However at oced, that 3080 performs at 4k about the same as 1080ti would do in 1080p. 4k ultra settings is finally playable now. Impressive to say the least.
God world ( most demanding one, went up from 70 > 148 ) where cpu is no longer a thing, so 2x the performance gain which frankly even in this title is just amazing to see.

AC odyssey:
Most demanding place is at night big city, look over the city + torch out on the wall, 1080ti would only manage mid 40's here at best, 3080 sits at mid 70's. so good improvement, its safe to say the card at ultra settings ( some ultra settings are incredible demanding ) its good to see its finally playable at rock solid 60+ everywhere. 4k same story as with origin around 1080ti 1080p.
God place ( atlantis ) saw massive minimum gains from 53 > 78, that's from not smooth to smooth. ( absolute hardest to render place, so average 100+ )

Immortals risen phoenix:
1080ti 1080p : high 50's at time's, lots of low 60's at ultra settings ( follows the odyssey engine )
3080 1080p : low 90's, its in another league really. plays super smooth at 100 fps pretty much always or higher.
4k = low 60's at times, normal ~70's. basically performs better then 1080p on 1080ti.

Weird part:
Weird part is, odyssey and Risen where both CPU bottlenecked before GPU bottlenecked on my 1080ti, yet i get far higher minimums on the 3080 which is weird. Either the engine ( which is shared between the two games ) has a bottleneck going on for pascal cards it seems like, or it does something that allows the cpu to free up more resources. Weird.

Again the same CPU related stuff showcases here yet again, i should not see these increases in town area's but i do. As the 1080ti was often cpu limited. Yet 3080 isn't.

AC Valhalla:
Only tested 4k as i was ocing, saw 53 fps dips, so 60 fps is out the question for 4k ultra settings. Still that high performance on such dog shit optimized game for nvidia is pretty amazing to see 1080ti wouldn't even get close towards it.

Original metro 2033: ( not the remake, this one is a gpu killer and was butchered in the remake in order to even make it run at 60 fps on PS4 )
Game came out, had 2x 580's at the time top end gpu's, couldn't get higher then low 10's in it at certain locations and dropped all the way to low 20's in fights. The game has some next level lightning effects in it so tested all my cards in it through the years at 1080p.
580's = 13 fps lows
970 = 24 lows
1080ti = 45 fps lows
3080 = 74 fps lows
So 3080 is finally the card to run this game smooth lol. in 99% of the cases tho u are now cpu limited instead of gpu which is just amazing to see for me.

I can say now for the first time in my life that at 1080p, all demanding games i tested and play even old ones are finally hitting 60 fps minimums at 1080p. Which is honestly amazing to see.

RT + DLSS Games

Bought myself a bunch of RT games to see how it holds up still have to test most of them ( metro exodus / shadow of the tomb / control / medium / riftbreak demo ).

3080ti = low 90's, average 120's with high's of 170's ( cpu bottlenecked even in this title at those settings ), DLSS quality ( didn't even bother with other modes ) makes 90 > 130 fps is bizar how much performance it adds here.

Reflections are great, colors boucning other objects is also well done hower the light is not. RT light is weird, its kinda makes the visuals blurry to the point it looks like u need glasses on after a while. And no its not DLSS as its blurrier without DLSS's actually. Tried to mess around with the settings and its RT that does it, it makes the edges around objects more blurred instead of sharp which is something they should look into.

The fact DF never pointed this out is just weird to me. Its noticable straight up instantly.

RT experience however through gameplay was fine as the FPS was high enough to not bother me, 90+ fps is where its comfortable.

My first encounter with DLSS, i must say its great. The performance jump is massive in games even on quality 90 > 130. that's like a 30% increase in performance which is for sure noticable.
Quality increase is there for sure, i saw a bunch of cans where i was at a bit further away from me, they looked noticable blurry at 4x msaa, DLSS made them sharp.

Which makes in my vision not having DLSS on in benchmarks even without RT, completely invalid. there is absolute no reason even at 1080p to not use it.

Saw some people benching this game on weaker RT cards and it seems to be reflections and extreme RT are killing performance here, so was expecting to see the gpu to get nuked here.

( Ultra settings + RT max + physics + hairworks everything maxed + DLSS quality at 1080p )

I had to recheck my settings a few times because i couldn't believe that it was running this fast with all that enabled. DLSS adds massive amounts of performance here, a spot without DLSS = 90 with its 140. It basically kicks the card into a new league.

RT Experience:
Reflections = basically next generation morrowind, that's what it felt like. The water reacting towards bullits and shadows in it is incredible to see. some area's are beautiful with all the reflections in the water.
Lightning = great, it really shows in certain moments but a lot of times i won't notice it
Shadow = great when it does work, a lot of times light doesn't cast shadows on objects that it hits towards the wall, its jarring and frankly should have been done. In more closed area's its great.

RT in general makes the game extremely light tho, its practically day everywhere. Its probably the negative solution of RT in games as lights bounces everywhere, a good example is here.

It also kinda kills of the mood the game tries to set with baked lightning in a lot of places here's a example.
maxresdefault.jpg

It's a example where baked lightning for example wins in my book and RT just makes it look sterile.

- Also light seems to take a second in buildings to actually bounce around which is jarring.
- Another downside, was that if you get to far away from stuff. reflections seems to stop, which is jarring, they need to address this.

For last - Big problem metro has however is that objects are straight up PS3 detailed really really low detailed, lots of blurry textures because of low detailed objects and straight up it feels like a old game just looking at it that aged badly. The RT lifts it up a bit and if you look at the scenerio at large its acceptable, but if you played more games the lack of detail is jarring to the point i wish they moved to a new engine entirely instead of sitting on the decade old models.

1080ti could do raytracing funny enough in this demo at 1080p, but u had to move to performance FSR which would nuke the picture quality by a bit for sure otherwise it was unplayable.
3080 sits at with everything on RT wise no FSR, with FSR a nice 30% performance boost u gain. detail difference is a bit lower but not much noticable.

Coudn't believe my eyes, hows this even possible it would drop to low 100's once its night. But god dam that performance jump is massive. RT doesn't even make a impact on its performance.

Conclusion:

Yes.

Performance:
DLSS makes that 2x performance gain in some games like control straight up 3+. That's huge.

Quality:

Resolution:
1080p = a bit overkill.
1440p = good.

Weak spots:
10gb v-ram, not much future left if v-ram rises so we gotta see how that works out
FE models v-ram memory cooling is trash, those FE stock coolers are proper garbage.

Sound:
Quiet, can't hear the fans at all even at 80%. however 80>100% = 3x as loud tho u hear it really well, however the cooler never goes there ever even at max oc and max taxation for hours. I think its a benchmark preset.

Temps:
Cool on gpu and v-rams, never exceeded on v-rams over 80c what i saw with as low as 60c and that's with a OC. GPU is about 55-66c. 66c is absolute highest i saw it go in a hot room already.

Wattage:
Thing burns power, 350w is as high as i saw it go and u will feel the heat. Undervolting is probably a good idea, but i kinda like max performance.

Price:
700, would buy it. i think its worth 1k if it had 16gb of memory and u come from pascal ~900-1000 series. Its a big jump forwards. U come from 2000 series, don't even bother wait for 40 series.

Small update:

I figured out why AC had such high minimum gains, its the newest nvidia driver that for some reason decided to optimize the game 3 years in or something for there gpu drivers which ups the lower performance by a lot in cpu heavy area's.

There is a fix for metro. First of all - hdr is broken... the fix helps with hdr too but mostly SDR.
use -deependark command when launching the game. Should bring back original black level with new edition.
I was so frustrated after launching new editions and discovering it looks like shit. Even Digital foundry have not properly noticed this... and it looks like shit with raised black levels. It's not by design. Original had proper black levels and Enhanced version looks correct on ps5.
I recommend checking out Hellblade and Evil Within 2. nice graphics

Rickyiez

OC:

Witcher 3:

AC origin

AC odyssey:

Immortals risen phoenix:

Weird part:

AC Valhalla:

580's = 13 fps lows
970 = 24 lows
1080ti = 45 fps lows
3080 = 74 fps lows

RT + DLSS Games

RT Experience:

maxresdefault.jpg

Conclusion:

Yes.

Performance:

Quality:

Resolution:
1080p = a bit overkill.
1440p = good.

Weak spots:

Sound:

Temps:

Wattage:

Price:

Small update:

Same here mate , I upgraded from 1080Ti to 3080 , and managed to snag a 3080 Ti after selling the 3080 . 3080 is the only true upgrade to 1080Ti , non of the Turing was worthy except maybe 2080 Ti .

I hope people stop saying 1080Ti is still viable nowadays because I hated the drops to sub 45FPS in RDR2 1440p no matter how I configured it . With 3080 , it stays 90FPS and above maxed out , what a beast .

Kenpachii

Same here mate , I upgraded from 1080Ti to 3080 , and managed to snag a 3080 Ti after selling the 3080 . 3080 is the only true upgrade to 1080Ti , non of the Turing was worthy except maybe 2080 Ti .

I hope people stop saying 1080Ti is still viable nowadays because I hated the drops to sub 45FPS in RDR2 1440p no matter how I configured it . With 3080 , it stays 90FPS and above maxed out , what a beast .

Problem i had with 2080ti where:
- to low rast performance increase ~30% on average over a 1080ti
- DLSS was borderline useless at the time of release even there flag ship demonstration only 4k it was relevant a resolution nobody played at.
- RT was a waste nobody had games for it and the few that where on the market all ran like shit anyway.
- 3x more expensive over a 1080ti which basically decked out every game at 1080p already.
- nobody really focused on turing optimisations for its architecture

All of this got pretty much solved with 3080 line of gpu's, even simple games like myst now have RT and the more i use RT the more i start to find non RT content just simple outdated looking. It's great as many subtle things enhances the picture quality drastically.

Still i rather had a 3080ti, but the founders edition is total dog shit which i can get for 1200 pretty easily, and the aftermarket versions with good coolers like a tuf version costs me 1500-1600 which is straight up 500 more i paid for the 3080 the performance increase just isn't there to validate it, and at that point why even the upgrade? to be more future proof? i rather spend that cash on the 40's series when selling of this card and get a actual jump forwards at that point.

Still 40 series is a long way off probably more then a year at this point, so that's also why i bited really.

so, not sure if this is any indication, but my friend who had got in que at the EVGA website back in Feb or so this year, had finally received a 3080. he got an email like 3 days ago telling him he's position in line is now available and he has 24 hours or something to get the card. of course he log in and purchased the card right away. thou it took him like couple tries with their check out system, but he finally got through. I think it's the XC3 Ultra 10GB one and all together it's like $973 or something ($870 plus tax and shipping). he already got the card now and is so happy it's kinda hilarious, but I think we all understand the feeling. so if you had signed up with EVGA before, it looks like it's at least somewhat hopeful.

hey people I'm not a tech guy and I bought a 3070 pc for 3D and 2D work and right out of the box it sounds like this:

I checked there's no obstruction or cables stuck or anything in those fans. like a lazy giant electric toothbrush

Sounds like a wire is rubbing on something also could be somewhere other than the 3070. Visually, the sound syncs up with the CPU fan. 60% of the time the GPU fan isn't on unless you're gaming. Stick a finger in the fans one by one to see where the clicking stops.

Last edited:

manfestival

Oh man I had a 2080 and I know it was only minimally at best better than the 1080ti. I absolutely hated the frame drops at 1440p myself. I honestly was super disappointed at the 1440p performance. Always killed me on the inside when I would see people rambling about how amazing the 1070 was at 1440p. Just made me feel like I was living on another planet or my 2080 was the worst one in existence.

Rickyiez

Oh man I had a 2080 and I know it was only minimally at best better than the 1080ti. I absolutely hated the frame drops at 1440p myself. I honestly was super disappointed at the 1440p performance. Always killed me on the inside when I would see people rambling about how amazing the 1070 was at 1440p. Just made me feel like I was living on another planet or my 2080 was the worst one in existence.
Don't believe those delusional claim , 1070 struggles at 1440p hard . I used to have it and it was hitting sub 50fps all the time even with older game titles like Dishonored 2 and Evil Within 2 especially in open areas .

Well with 2080 luckily you still have DLSS to gain more grounds on the 10 series cards provided the game supported it

manfestival

Don't believe those delusional claim , 1070 struggles at 1440p hard . I used to have it and it was hitting sub 50fps all the time even with older game titles like Dishonored 2 and Evil Within 2 especially in open areas .

Well with 2080 luckily you still have DLSS to gain more grounds on the 10 series cards provided the game supported it
I sold my 2080 but it was definitely a disappointing experience. The plus was that at least I got ot play most games at a reasonable fps once I turned down some settings. Currently running a 6800xt(it was all I could get my hands on but no regrets) and now I am sitting at the type of performance that I always wanted at 1440p. I was always turned off by DLSS since it always just made the picture blurry or just unappealing in every game that I tried it on. Just would rather stick to my native and mess with the settings.

Top Bottom