• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oblivion works without a HDD

M3wThr33

Banned
Scaled down to make use of hdd-less 360! PC version to be more immersive!

But seriously I just see a LOT of games ending up like Resident Evil: Outbreak.

Mrbob

Looking at that post, the way the game functions will be different with or without the hdd.

Perhaps Stevemeister can chime in with the differnces?

fugimax

All 360 games *must* run without an HD attached (save special games like FFXI). It's a mandate from Microsoft.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
<obvious question> Define "works"? </obvious question> :p

fugimax said:
All 360 games *must* run without an HD attached (save special games like FFXI). It's a mandate from Microsoft.
Yep. I'm curious as to how long the "special games" list will be.

Jeff-DSA

Mrbob said:
Looking at that post, the way the game functions will be different with or without the hdd.

Perhaps Stevemeister can chime in with the differnces?

Yep, basically you don't want to be caught not having a hard drive for this game...

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
No, it won't be scaled down at all. It'll be the exact same game, with the exact same content with or without the HDD. And no, that doesn't mean it's scaled down to begin with.

Mrbob

So it is loading issues, then? Because that original post makes it sound like there will be differences.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
SteveMeister said:
No, it won't be scaled down at all. It'll be the exact same game, with the exact same content with or without the HDD. And no, that doesn't mean it's scaled down to begin with.

Yep.

golem

thats all well and good, but im not too concerned about games not working without the hard drive... i just wanna know what the harddrive will be good for (not counting live and mp3 features) with regards to games. i really did enjoy the faster loads xbox1 had, and if halo3 has level loads there will be hell to pay

pj

Banned
SteveMeister said:

Will oblivion take advantage of the hdd if it's there, to reduce load times and such?

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
sangreal said:
Where did the whole "Oblivion requires a HDD" start from, anyway?

Probably stemmed from the rumore Oblivion wasn't going to be on PS3, because of the lack of a HDD :lol

A comment like that sure seems empty now...

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
No offense to Steve, I'm a fan of his game...

but did any of you play the Morrowind games on Xbox? Did they seem highly optimized to take advantage of the system to you?

fugimax said:

That's good to hear. I've been at work all day and just got home, so fill me in...Will some games be "enhanced" by having a HDD? Like better loading times and such?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
pj325is said:
Will oblivion take advantage of the hdd if it's there, to reduce load times and such?

The Microsoft line is that games may take advantage of the HDD if it's there, but must be able to run if it's not. Beyond that I can't be more specific.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Just buy the PC version. Like Morrowind, it'll be better in every possible sense on the PC. Take the $400 you were going to spend on the 360, and put it towards a new graphics card instead. :)

Mrbob

Tell me you can at least save games to your hdd. Or is this gonna be like the PS2 hdd where you need a memory card to save games?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Mrbob said:
Tell me you can at least save games to your hdd. Or is this gonna be like the PS2 hdd where you need a memory card to save games?

Yeah, you can save games to either HDD or memory card, just like on the original Xbox.

_Angelus_

Banned
Well theres always the possibility that you'd want to have the hard drive for extra content for downloads in games as expansive as Oblivion. I guess what it comes down to is I have become spoiled with having a hard drive in a console. I don't like paying for it but in the end I'd want the extra space for multimedia and extra content across Xbox Live. otherwsie I'll eventually be juggling 2-3 memory cards,theres no way I want to do that. And even if a fraction of the games take advantage of speedier game loads then in the end I'll be thankful I payed for a hardrive on day one.

Ponn

Banned
So now this means developers are in a sort of catch - 22. Games have to be made to work the same/similar without a HDD but they have a choice of optimizing it for HDD use. But if they have to make a version without the HDD in mind as the main game what incentive to they have of making use of the HDD? Unless MS starts mandating or staying on top of that the HDD could just become an afterthought like it was on the PS2. Overall I think this whole situation would have been more favorable for the HDD if they just released one damn SKU at $399.99 and be done with it.

Mrbob said:
at this point, who even knows if you can save games to the HDD... MS could make another $40 by requiring a memory card to save!

Mrbob

Ponn01 said:
So now this means developers are in a sort of catch - 22. Games have to be made to work the same/similar without a HDD but they have a choice of optimizing it for HDD use. But if they have to make a version without the HDD in mind as the main game what incentive to they have of making use of the HDD? Unless MS starts mandating or staying on top of that the HDD could just become an afterthought like it was on the PS2. Overall I think this whole situation would have been more favorable for the HDD if they just released one damn SKU at $399.99 and be done with it.

I agree. Should have gone the premium route like the PSP. Having one premium PSP sku didn't hurt. Hell, PSP is selling much better with one sku in NA than it is with two skus in Japan. Should have just launched at $399, and you can use the higher pricepoint to extend out the generation. Once the system drops to like $199 rip the hdd out and sell it seperately. That way the hdd would have been fully supported all the way through. Now it'll more than likely be a waste.

Ruzbeh

Banned
What's up with everyone's obsessions for HDDs anyway. Consoles don't need hard drives, it complicates things, like PCs. Even huge games like Oblivion don't need HDDs.

Ponn01 said:
This is my problem too, so basically very few games will bother to use it. I guess we'll just have to see the load times of next gen I hope it will be better but probably not since there's more data to load now.

JMPovoa

Microsoft should mandate that every game made good use of the HDD to improve gameplay even if there are people without it. But at the same time work in the HDDless Xbox360. That way everyone would be happy, aside from developers (who would have more work than normal :D )

Blaster1X

Banned
SteveMeister said:

Will there be any performance enhances having the HDD though? like better load times.. etc

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
JMPovoa said:
Microsoft should mandate that every game made good use of the HDD to improve gameplay even if there are people without it. But at the same time work in the HDDless Xbox360. That way everyone would be happy, aside from developers (who would have more work than normal :D )
that shit costs money dude

Mrbob

Blaster1X said:
Will there be any performance enhances having the HDD though? like better load times.. etc

Sounds like it but Stevemeister already said he can't comment on it at the moment.....I wonder how the dual sku announcement and too expensive peripheral prices are going over with publishers. I wonder if they are starting to get cold feet that gamers may not be as receptive to X360 now and their games won't sell as many copies. Of course they probably already knew but the name of the game is getting systems in the homes and X360 may have priced itself out.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I'm also concerned that the X360 Hdd will, in the long run, will become almost as irrelevant and useless as the PS2's Hdd or the GCN's modems, as far as gaming is concerned.

I think it's a given that games will use the Hdd to speed up things like saving and loading. At the very least.

_Angelus_

Banned
Ponn01 said:
So now this means developers are in a sort of catch - 22. Games have to be made to work the same/similar without a HDD but they have a choice of optimizing it for HDD use. But if they have to make a version without the HDD in mind as the main game what incentive to they have of making use of the HDD?

The incentive would probably be to sell you extra content across Xbox Live. Games that would probably need more space than a memory card could handle. New maps and planes for sequels like Crimson Skies,Halo 3 expansion packs,PGR bonus courses and cars. 64 megs could probably hold some of these but there would be compromises on a memory card maybe? Thats my take on it-a hard drive would give developers more room to expand on their already released games.

Yusaku

Kleegamefan said:
Probably stemmed from the rumore Oblivion wasn't going to be on PS3, because of the lack of a HDD :lol

A comment like that sure seems empty now...

It'll be interesting to see if the PC developers cum console developers continue to stick with the Xbox, even though the reasons they went to Xbox over PS2 are no longer a factor (architectually similar to PC, and HDD). If Bethesda, Lionhead, and BioWare make PS3 games as well I see Xbox losing a major strong point.

Ruzbeh said:
What's up with everyone's obsessions for HDDs anyway. Consoles don't need hard drives, it complicates things,

No it doesn't. Have you ever even owned an Xbox? It's nothing like a pc. And consoles don't NEED more powerful hardware either, but are you complaining? You also don't NEED videogames, tv, or music to live, but again, are you complaining?

Mrbob said:
Sounds like it but Stevemeister already said he can't comment on it at the moment.....I wonder how the dual sku announcement and too expensive peripheral prices are going over with publishers. I wonder if they are starting to get cold feet that gamers may not be as receptive to X360 now and their games won't sell as many copies. Of course they probably already knew but the name of the game is getting systems in the homes and X360 may have priced itself out.

Actually most gamers have settled down since this morning and have stopped crying.. 360 will be just fine.

Mrbob

krypt0nian said:
Actually most gamers have settled down since this morning and have stopped crying.. 360 will be just fine.

I don't think I'm reading the same GAF as you right now! :lol I see a lot of damage control going on right now, but it's the afternoon I can swing sides again!

Mrbob said:
I don't think I'm reading the same GAF as you right now! :lol

Visit other forums. GAF is like this after any explosion. It takes longer for us to eat crow. ;)

I ate my crow a few hours ago after spazzing like an 8year old.

hotness7qj.gif

YES!

Mrbob

krypt0nian said:
Visit other forums. GAF is like this after any explosion. It takes longer for us to eat crow. ;)

I ate my crow a few hours ago after spazzing like an 8year old.

The IGN Boards are pretty crazy right now, too.

But it's time for the AVATAR TRANSFORM. Back on the winning team!

Mejilan said:
Just buy the PC version. Like Morrowind, it'll be better in every possible sense on the PC. Take the $400 you were going to spend on the 360, and put it towards a new graphics card instead. :)

Right on

Mrbob said:
The IGN Boards are pretty crazy right now, too.

But it's time for the AVATAR TRANSFORM. Back on the winning team!

In the end its just the accessory prices that are mad. I'm just going to suck it up, spend my $399.99 and stfu.

But damn them for a $99 WiFi adapter.

Top Bottom