• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oblivion works without a HDD

eso76

Actually, that was quite obvious.

You people forget that x360 hdd was always meant to be datachable anyway, and of course they can't let the console STOP working when you remove the hdd, so EVERY GAME had to be developed with the possibility of the hdd not being available at all times, in mind.
Of course every x360 game in development was already taking into consideration the fact the hdd wouldn't always be there, so it's not a big deal really.

Vark

The comparisons to the GC modem and the PS2 HDD are invalid. Developers didn't use the PS2 HDD because the only people that had it were the people that bought FFXI.

In this case, you can count on very few people NOT having the hard drive as opposed to the other way around.

Also I have no way to know this as fact, and its just speculation. But as far as the whole backwards Compatibility thing... MS has to pay a liscensing fee to Nvidia right? Well if BC was standard in the system, every system sold would have to pay that fee. Whereas now only the systems with the hard drive have to pay it (same reason MS made a dvd remote in the first xbox. Part of the remote cost was the fee you have to pay to use the decoder). It could explain part of the high pricing for the HDD if you buy it seperately.

MingisDew

anotheriori said:
btw if its mandated that games are required to run w/o the HDD, why didn't MS have backwards compatibility available on memory cards? since now the hdd is just a glorified memory card, they could've saved money also if they went with standardized hdd (but i'm betting they're making money off the hdd).
I would think it would be hard to fit all those patches for all those games on a memory card and still have room for other stuff. Its too bad they didnt stick in a good chunk of stick memory for the patches soo ppl w/o HDDs could be hooked up. But back to Oblivion, I remember how long it took my Morrowind to load on xbox after I had been playing for a long time. I used to go get food during loading times.

Mrbob

You tell me if Bethesda is happy about the split skus. I think this says it all:

CS Weaver
Founder
Bethesda Softworks
Also Visiting Scholar at M.I.T

"The idea of selling a $299 'basic' (read crippled) version of the new Xbox may make for minor bragging rights and a little press, but it is akin to buying a Ferrari F430 only to find that while the car is beautiful and has a powerful engine, the model you bought lacks a transmission capable of getting out of first gear. You may be able to rev the deep-throated engine and impress the neighbors, but in truth, you will barely be able to get out of the garage.

"This is one of those silly market concepts dreamed up by a middle-aged, non-gamer who once worked at Proctor and Gamble. To him or her I say, 'Stick to Tide and Pringles.'

"With the original Xbox, I admired Microsoft for having the imagination to incorporate an Ethernet connector. Even though they got the initial timing wrong, it was a leap of faith by a major player who showed the industry they were willing to back a vision. The current play of $299 for a box that is inadequate in order to have bragging rights over Sony is as bad an idea as the RJ45 connector was a good one.

"So, listen up Microsoft - never disrespect your audience. We will understand if you tell us that you cannot match PS3 in price because of the different approach you have taken in order to achieve a better end result. But do NOT confuse the retail chain with a near worthless SKU and try to pull one over on your public for the right to play shell games with price when the PS3 is released next year.

"That is a recipe for more bad word of mouth than any 'under $300' price will ever achieve in the hearts and minds of your customers. It takes fourteen positive impressions to register “awareness” with a consumer. It takes but one negative impression to wipe it out. I figure with your initial leap of faith added to this latest stupid pet trick, you’re just about even…

Not good....

I welcome the upcoming PS3 version with open arms. :D

Mrbob

PhatSaqs said:
Because Sony will include an HDD in every box :D.

AND price it at 299!

*Cue one year later when the PS3 is out when someone says "I heard the PS3 will be 299 with the hdd WTF!"*

Dr_Cogent

Banned
SteveMeister said:
That'd be a good point if it wasn't for the fact that Microsoft has been telling developers not to count on the HDD being there all the time pretty much from the beginning.

Where would the average consumer ever read that?

They could see the spec sheet, but read interviews about what J. Allard - someone they couldn't care less about? I don't think so.

When I tell the average/casual gamer what the deal is, their eyes pop out.

Zaptruder

Banned
Vark said:
As been stated previously, Weaver is only an investor at this point. He hasn't had any direct effect on the company for some years.

Seriously though... why shouldn't there be a PS3 version of this now? Too late into the game? Too hard to convert? Probably would make the money back.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Zaptruder said:
Seriously though... why shouldn't there be a PS3 version of this now? Too late into the game? Too hard to convert? Probably would make the money back.

There has never been any official word that there won't be a PS3 version (or that there would be). Any "news" regarding a PS3 version being planned or cancelled is 100% speculation.

Pimpwerx

Bethesda wouldn't exactly want to RE4 their big launch title. They stand to make out well this Winter since that MS demographic seems to be up their alley. I honestly don't expect a PS3 version. I don't know if it'll sell well there. But the HDD argument was lame. PEACE.

Azrael

money-stacked.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Zaptruder said:

apart from the green hats...

Maybe they really don't want it running without a HDD. Maybe it 'runs' but only just. huge load times, limited customisation or uses an entire memory card.

It could require extensive use of the HDD to get the game experience desired by the developers.

Scott

Vark said:
Developers didn't use the PS2 HDD because the only people that had it were the people that bought FFXI.
This is only true for the US. In Japan, the HDD/BBA package was available to purchase with or without game bundles. Either you could purchase the package seperately via ISPs, retail stores, or directly from Sony; or, you could purchase it with a game straight from the developers of HDD-required titles, like Square Enix and Koei.

Also worth noting that there are dozens of titles that support the HDD in Japan, along with a handful that require it (see: Final Fantasy XI, Nobunaga's Ambition Online, Front Mission Online, Hot Shots Golf, etc). Had Sony not nixed support for it via the PStwo, we likely would have seen more developers utilizing it in the future, as well. But, alas...

StRaNgE

Banned
sangreal said:
They really should've just announced one SKU at $399 if the best they could come up with at $299 was that worthless POS SKU.

i agree 100%

i might have been bummed it was not 299 but i'd get over it quick enough.

the lack of hard drive on any of them bums me out more then the price.

+Aliken+

As more time passes I get the feeling that the cheap version si useless. They should have just made one version at 400€ full stop.

LAMBO

I would like to know if things created with the world/item/NPC builidng tools in the Pc version will work with the xbox version.

I couldn't imagine playing morrowind without the mods i used(especially the difficulty increase mod).

Azrael

Maybe they really don't want it running without a HDD. Maybe it 'runs' but only just. huge load times, limited customisation or uses an entire memory card.

It could require extensive use of the HDD to get the game experience desired by the developers.

Load times might be a problem, but with the SD and Memory Stick Pro slots, storage on PS3 wouldn't be a problem. Game saves even for a game like Oblivion would only take up a fraction of the space on a $50 SD card.

Top Bottom