• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ODDWORLD: NEW 'N' TASTY |OT| Save 99 Mudokons as The Stitch-Lipped One. Follow me!

mattp

anyone have the game crash on you if you skip the end credits? lol
happened to me twice in a row
i'll watch them this time, guys. i'm sorry

edit: nevermind, crashed after watching the credits too. womp
is there anything saved or added to your file after waiting through the credits?

Dezzy

Well the game was bugging out on me hardcore towards what I assume was the end and it was after I finally managed to get past a part where I kept getting this CE-34878-0″ error.I turned off the system to see if that would fix the problem. Nope the menu screen tells me the save data was damaged and it will be automatically deleted. I haven't been that pissed in a long while, doubt I'll ever go back and finish the game after that.

No older save on the PS+ cloud backup? (if you have Plus anyway)

Daffy Duck

Stupid question:

Does the 299 mudokens need to be done in one play through?

I missed some the very first secret area....only at the end of level one so might just start again.

Redid Rupture farms 1, only missed 8 this time. no idea what area I missed though, will have to recheck.

Going to go ahead and move on though, else i'll never see the rest of the game.

Robot Pants

Stupid question:

Does the 299 mudokens need to be done in one play through?

I missed some the very first secret area....only at the end of level one so might just start again.

No if you go back and use chapter select and rescue them all (you'll have to rescue all of them again, not just the ones you missed) then it will save it.

freelevel

Banned
Phew. Got around that error code that happens when two scrabs are fighting. Really enjoying the game since I've never played Abe's games. Started playing Oddworld games with Munch's Oddysee. The bugs have been annoying, but not enough to tarnish the fun I'm having.

Just finished my first play-through of the game. First Oddworld game I ever played, and goddam it was so good. Saved 220 mudokons so I got the good ending. I missed an area at the end, and lost the majority of those 79 I didn't save. I don't see myself replaying it again soon, at least not until the Vita version is released. Game seems perfect to play on the go.

I can't wait to play the DLC on the ps4 though, hope is released soon.

JoeFenix

So I went back to play this game after being completely turned off by the complete lack of polish and was making good progress, no issues other than the framerate being piss poor in Scrabania.

Reached the Temple and on the third room my game crashed after I died. Now my game crashes every single time I try to load my save file.

This is terrible, as much as I want to support what Oddworld Inhabitants are doing I have to say I'm done buying any of their games on day 1. The game is a mess.

bronk

Banned
I dont remember the game being this hard. Im dying ALOT. Maybe ill play a little at a time and nkt get frustrated. I consider myself good at these type of games too. Maybe i just suck today.

So sad to see the game plagued with so many bugs, crashes and problems. I was so hyped for this but im now going to wait for a sale, sorry team oddworld but as much as i love your world i just cant play through this game unless its fixed. Maybe they will release both games remade, patched and fixed on a disc in the future.

Gurish

I dont remember the game being this hard. Im dying ALOT. Maybe ill play a little at a time and nkt get frustrated. I consider myself good at these type of games too. Maybe i just suck today.

It is hard, maybe analog controls make it even harder, but you have quick save/load so nothing should be too hard if you use that :)

So sad to see the game plagued with so many bugs, crashes and problems. I was so hyped for this but im now going to wait for a sale, sorry team oddworld but as much as i love your world i just cant play through this game unless its fixed. Maybe they will release both games remade, patched and fixed on a disc in the future.

I'm at work and can't read through the last pages at the moment, is it that bad? Can soemone summarize the problems real quick? It's still a day 1 buy on steam for me, depending on the bugs... that may change.

I'm at work and can't read through the last pages at the moment, is it that bad? Can soemone summarize the problems real quick? It's still a day 1 buy on steam for me, depending on the bugs... that may change.

it varies wildly. i played through the entire game the first time without a single bug. no issues whatsoever. but when i went back to find all of the mudokens, i had at least 3-4 crashes. one time i lost my save completely and had to go with the previous days PS+ backup save. another time the game froze whenever i would chant in one area, but that was fixed by loading the previous checkpoint save.

it's really unfortunate, but i still think the game is great, and worth it to support the devs making the sequel remake. i would think these issues will be greatly alleviated on a second game using the same tech

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
If GoldenHelmet or anyone else from JAW are viewng this thread, for the love of god patch in an alternate control scheme so we can have a run button. It's the one aspect of the controls that are infinitely worse here. I shudder to think how annoying it's gonna be when the Vita version is out with those tiny sticks.

Mr-Joker

Banned
If GoldenHelmet or anyone else from JAW are viewng this thread, for the love of god patch in an alternate control scheme so we can have a run button. It's the one aspect of the controls that are infinitely worse here. I shudder to think how annoying it's gonna be when the Vita version is out with those tiny sticks.

Oh god yes, in the original the jump was it own button.

mattp

a bunch of us asked about it, he said he was going to have a meeting with his team about it after they finish the bug patches

i already finished the game and most likely will finish getting all 299 before they patch in a new control scheme(if they do) so its a little bit of a bummer haha but thats ok. it just means we'll have the new control scheme for exoddus

and for everyone saying this is their first oddworld, just wait til you play exoddus. it's so fucking good. all the additional stuff they added to gamespeak and ways to interact with the mudokons makes the puzzles so much more varied

oh god i hope they make enough money to remake exoddus

‏@stewartgilray
We're looking for an Experienced Programmer here at JAW towers, please help spread the word! http://www.jawltd.com/jobs/programmer/ … #GameJobs
9:23 AM - 6 Sep 2013

‏@Fattony12000
@stewartgilray I can’t help you there but I do have an Oddworld shirt.
1:00 PM - 6 Sep 2013

‏@Fattony12000
@stewartgilray You guys are doing a damn fine job with getting Oddworld back up to steam, I’d love to see a new game in that series someday.
1:21 PM - 6 Sep 2013

‏@stewartgilray
@Fattony12000 you will ;)
1:23 PM - 6 Sep 2013

‏@Fattony12000
@stewartgilray I JUST LOOKED DOWN AND REMEMBERED THAT I’M WEARING IT RIGHT NOW! IT’S A SIGN!
BTer70CIQAEi51E.jpg:large

1:26 PM - 6 Sep 2013

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
a bunch of us asked about it, he said he was going to have a meeting with his team about it after they finish the bug patches

i already finished the game and most likely will finish getting all 299 before they patch in a new control scheme(if they do) so its a little bit of a bummer haha but thats ok. it just means we'll have the new control scheme for exoddus

and for everyone saying this is their first oddworld, just wait til you play exoddus. it's so fucking good. all the additional stuff they added to gamespeak and ways to interact with the mudokons makes the puzzles so much more varied

oh god i hope they make enough money to remake exoddus
The leap in quality from Oddysee to Exoddus was ridiculous. Man the Exoddus remake is gonna be soooooo good.

Is it possible to restart a chapter with all your previous achievments logged? I think I've managed to screw myself in Scrabania.

Before you get to the temple, and while you're still using Elum, there's a bit where a mudoken will chant to give you a red ring. You need it to destroy some floating mines blocking the way later on, but I got to that section without a red ring and the elevator I need to get back to that section won't come down to let me back up.

What I want is to restart Scrabania with all the Mudokens I saved in Rupture Farms, the Free Fire Zone and Paramonia.

icespide

Banned
Is it possible to restart a chapter with all your previous achievments logged? I think I've managed to screw myself in Scrabania.

Before you get to the temple, and while you're still using Elum, there's a bit where a mudoken will chant to give you a red ring. You need it to destroy some floating mines blocking the way later on, but I got to that section without a red ring and the elevator I need to get back to that section won't come down to let me back up.

What I want is to restart Scrabania with all the Mudokens I saved in Rupture Farms, the Free Fire Zone and Paramonia.

yes you can replay any chapter and your progress will always reflect your best progress in each chapter

ZeroX03

Banned
So it looks New 'N' Hasty won't be too difficult thanks to easy mode and chapter select. Looks like I'll be going for platinum... after a few patches.

mattp

So it looks New 'N' Hasty won't be too difficult thanks to easy mode and chapter select. Looks like I'll be going for platinum... after a few patches.

you should really play it on hard the first time, at least
the health system is stupid.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
you should really play it on hard the first time, at least
the health system is stupid.

I agree. It kinda pisses me off that the game actually recommends people play on meduim. Hard is the correct way to play. At the end of the day the checkpoints are really close together now plus you've got quicksave so I don't see why anyone would have trouble with a playthrough of this game on hard. Certainly not for basic completion. Hard is already way easier than the original game. The other difficulties are just over(under?)kill.

mattp

I agree. It kinda pisses me off that the game actually recommends people play on meduim. Hard is the correct way to play. At the end of the day the checkpoints are really close together now plus you've got quicksave so I don't see why anyone would have trouble with a playthrough of this game on hard. Certainly not for basic completion. Hard is already way easier than the original game. The other difficulties are just over(under?)kill.

yeah i really think they should have just had normal and easy
normal = 1 hit kill
easy = health system

yes you can replay any chapter and your progress will always reflect your best progress in each chapter

Thanks, I was really not looking forward to restarting the whole game again.

As for the health system, how does that even work? Do meat grinders not instant kill you? I take it you can survive being shot a few times by sligs too.

There's a correct way to play? I'm glad you came along and caught our folly.

protonion

As a huge fan of the games, I'm happy we got the remake. Hopefully we'll get exoddus too.

And that's my main issue actually...
Exoddus was a huge leap in quality. Not only the new additions were awesome but the overall level design was way better. I play it yearly and the remake feels like a step back.

Another issue I got, is that some parts of the experience feel a bit off.
For instance Slogs. In the originals when they started a chase it was a huge OH SHIT! moment. Now it's like a non event. They even look more cute than scary. A bit more oomph would be nice.

Gurish

You're welcome. You can thank me properly when you're done with your "hard" playthrough. Playing this game on anything other than hard is like playing Max Payne 3 with lock on aiming.
Yea i could understand people if we didn't have the quick save feature that they might get frustrated, but with the ability to save anywhere there shouldn't be a problem to anyone, if there is a hard part just do it with baby steps and save every second, anyone can do it.

Mr-Joker

Banned
You know I wish the game would load from your quick save when you die rather from the last check point.

It's very easy to accidentally overwrite your quick save.

The leap in quality from Oddysee to Exoddus was ridiculous. Man the Exoddus remake is gonna be soooooo good.

Indeed Exoddus was amazing which is why Munch's Oddysee really disappointed me as it was so underwhelming and boring.

Ha ha.

yeah i really think they should have just had normal and easy
normal = 1 hit kill
easy = health system

There shouldn't be a health system period, with Quick Save and check points the game is already pretty easy.

Plus we all did it just fine back in the day and Oddysee didn't have a quick save system or a very good check point.

Gurish

Curious to know what the numbers brought in so far are. I'm hoping for an easy 500,000.
I don't think so according to the CEO reaction ("could be better, could be worse"), but hopefully after Steam and other versions releases they can do enough to warrent the remake for the sequel.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
You know I wish the game would load from your quick save when you die rather from the last check point.

It's very easy to accidentally overwrite your quick save.

Indeed Exoddus was amazing which is why Munch's Oddysee really disappointed me as it was so underwhelming and boring.

Ha ha.

There shouldn't be a health system period, with Quick Save and check points the game is already pretty easy.

Plus we all did it just fine back in the day and Oddysee didn't have a quick save system or a very good check point.
Just quickload before you even respawn. Simples. You can load your quicksave before your death animation is even finished.

I actually liked Munch. Definitely had a bunch of problems and could be boring at times but I thought it was a solid first attempt at a 3D game. I think a sequel could have been great.

Shin-Ra

On my bad-ending play through I marked off types of Slig death and got 16 but no trophy. Don't know whether to try again or wait for the first patch.

Top Bottom