• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official April 2008 NPD thread of massive disappointment if you're not Nintendo

Elios83

LOL PS360 can go home, it seems that Wii is really starting to impact their sales in the US market.
Microsoft and Sony must act soon and start to think about Wii like a direct competitor.
Even GTA4 software sales are below expectations.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So can we finally say the Wii is going to win this thing?

FFChris

fly high ~ayunite~ said:
Bet Microsoft is regretting that "exclusive DLC for $50m" deal now lol

Considering they didn't actually spend $50 mil for DLC, and they sold 850k more copies of GTA4, I'm sure they aren't that upset.

Akai

Hahaha wow, I'm mostly a Nintendo fanboy but I was expecting at least a LITTLE jump in hardware sales on the 360 and PS3 fronts...

GTA fans not jumping to the next-gen ship yet or did they already own a system to begin with?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
That makes no sense whatsoever...

I never partake in the sales thing since it's totally not my thing, but how in the world could the 360 & PS3 sell that low with GTAIV's debut?

And the Wii increased with GTAIV being out, and selling stuff like Pokemon (I didn't even know there was a new one)...

I'm stumped...

AirBrian

[Sony]

The PLAYSTATION brand continues its momentum by outselling the Xbox brand for the month of April.

[/Sony]

I can't wait to see the spin from Sony and MS. Should be extra good this month.

In all seriousness though, Wii is just batshit insane. Bat. Shit. Insane.

Shanks

What the hell happened to the DS? It's been up there with the Wii all the time and now it drops pretty hard..

It doesn't seem to be in shortage anymore as I see them all the time too...

Christine

Jibber Hack said:
Well, Wii numbers didn't go up either, so that means Mario Kart didn't move any systems either. Amiright?

I hope you're joking. They went from 700k in 5 weeks to 700k in 4 weeks and supply is still the limit.

I guess that most people who were interested in GTA4 had already bought one of the two HD consoles. Maybe Reggie`s "Halo 3 won`t move 360`s since people already bought it for other FPSs" comment rings true again?

Mind you though, aren`t both the PS3 and 360 actually down over last month for weekly sales? That shouldn`t be happening!

Proelite

Sony fans and Xbox fans, it's time for us to ignore our petty differences. We must be united in our common interests. Perhaps it is fate that today is once again NPD day...

chadums90

Wow - did anyone predict this much disparity? Also, dare I say that GTAIV sales are dissapointing given the budget/advertising/hype/etc? It will definately be one of the biggest sellers this gen, and will definately make a ton of money...

Wii sales are baffling. I guess Nintendo doesn't have to drop the price anytime soon...

FFChris said:
Considering they didn't actually spend $50 mil for DLC, and they sold 850k more copies of GTA4, I'm sure they aren't that upset.

Heh, seriously. To be the number one selling game with the lowest hardware sales for the console in, what, almost a year?

Yes Boss!

OK,

This seriously looks to be the end of the HD consoles. Damn shame since i was rooting for the PS3. I've still got one eye open for the Triple and Banjo onthe 360...after that is is finished :-(

Ulairi

Banned
Can we stop the myth that big releases push hardware sales? Price drops do but software doesn't do this huge push in a month to month deal.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
szaromir said:
That is terrible news for PS360.

And I do hope that all these "GTA is teh Playstation franchise, it'll move so much more PS3s than 360s" are enjoying their crow.
Everyone should be eating crow: It doesn't look like GTA sold either console.

FFChris said:

Good point, also just remembered that MS get their money back if the DLC doesn't break even.

GhaleonEB

TwinIonEngines said:
I hope you're joking. They went from 700k in 5 weeks to 700k in 4 weeks and supply is still the limit.
Yup. Microsoft blew it big time by not cutting price ahead of GTA. Those are seriously bad numbers, not just for a GTA release month. Just. Plain. Bad.

They can no longer argue the Wii isn't hurting them.

Skilotonn said:

I never partake in the sales thing since it's totally not my thing, but how in the world could the 360 & PS3 sell that low with GTAIV's debut?

And the Wii increased with GTAIV being out, and selling stuff like Pokemon (I didn't even know there was a new one)...

I'm stumped...

Because GTA is not a system seller. The series was established on the PS2, when the system had entrenched itself in the market and thus, had a large userbase to cater to.

Plus, all three systems have libraries large enough and diverse enough that no one game is going to make a difference now.

Chrange

Banned
Classic_Gs said:
WOW GTAIV didn't move a dang system! I thought GTAIV sold 3.6M not 2.85M first week?
HD consoles bomba :(

I don't think the NPD covers the entirety of that first week of sales..

Narag

Skilotonn said:

I'd say a part of it is that a large portion of the GTA audience already had a console capable of playing it.

Top Bottom