• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official April 2008 NPD thread of massive disappointment if you're not Nintendo

Kildace

theguy said:
Remember that we're in a damn recession. I was telling someone earlier that April marked the first month that I've not purchased a title in many, many years. Everything changed once it started costing over $60 a week to fill my gas tank. To expect one title starting at $60 to sell hardware priced from $300 at its cheapest, to over $500 in this economy is ridiculous. Those of you with your heads in the clouds had best stop watching CNBC where you'd think that everything's just rosey and pay attention to what's happening in the real world.

GTAIV will be kicking ass throughout the rest of the year but the 360 and PS3 aren't at the $150ish price point the PS2 was at when GTA:SA launched, nor are either anywhere near the install base of the PS2 when SA launched.

Basically. Moreover, the Wii is probably seen as not only cheaper, but better value for the same price than the HD consoles because it has appeal for the whole family instead of just a few people in the household. 360s and PS3s at their current pricepoint and during the current economical climate are just not wise buys for people who don't have a lot of disposable income.

Sadly, neither manufacturers realized this, somehow. Great market research, guys ..

This is pretty awesome. I thought GTAIV would cause a significant increase in console sales for both the 360 and PS3. The hype levels seemed to be ridiculously off the charts. I'm glad I was wrong. If GTAIV can't move consoles in NA, I don't think any other game on either platform will.

FrankT

cjelly said:
Everyone should be eating crow: It doesn't look like GTA sold either console.

Actually I did question if this would be a system seller or not. Particularly in the long term, but that doesn't seem to be the case atm and I'm not sure there is going to be any real system seller for the two HD consoles any time soon.

fse

Proelite said:
Sony fans and Xbox fans, it's time for us to ignore our petty differences. We must be united in our common interests. Perhaps it is fate that today is once again NPD day...

I'd buy a Sonysoft console...

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
theguy said:
Remember that we're in a damn recession. I was telling someone earlier that April marked the first month that I've not purchased a title in many, many years. Everything changed once it started costing over $60 a week to fill my gas tank. To expect one title starting at $60 to sell hardware priced from $300 at its cheapest, to over $500 in this economy is ridiculous. Those of you with your heads in the clouds had best stop watching CNBC where you'd think that everything's just rosey and pay attention to what's happening in the real world.

GTAIV will be kicking ass throughout the rest of the year but the 360 and PS3 aren't at the $150ish price point the PS2 was at when GTA:SA launched, nor are either anywhere near the install base of the PS2 when SA launched.
Did you even read the original post?

April 2007: $839 million
April 2008: $1.23 billion

The industry is booming.

AniHawk

harSon said:
I'm going to stab Yamauchi if the jump from this generation to the next is simply the addition of a motion controller.

And what will that accomplish other than simply make him angry?

{Mike}

Banned
next generation will probably suck even more

it's funny because the PS3 is the most promising console this gen

fucking parents with bad taste

the reason why Chipmunks was so popular in DVD rent too i guess

jacobs34

Being surprised at Nintendo sales is like being surprised at the sales numbers of an Apple product... dumb. Nintendo has reached that sweet spot of great marketing and being something different. Whether you like the product or not is irrelevant, the sales are not going to slow down any time soon, they are mainstream.

...and it's not like hardcore games are going anywhere, look at those GTA sales, and it's not even holiday season, crazy.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
heliosRAzi said:
The Wii did fucking better than the Playstation family AND the 360 COMBINED!!!!

This makes it hard for SDF to do their monthly NPD satire, doesn't it?

Oh! Oh! I got it!

Playstation Family leads the GAMING industry

ZeoVGM

Banned
Concept17 said:
I just lost a lot of faith in the gaming industry.

Fuck the Wii. The system doesn't deserve it.

Dear duckroll (my new favorite mod):

Could idiots like this be banned for blatant trolling? Holy crap that's annoying.

Until the 360 and the PS3 get to around $250 then these sorts of figures are going to be expected, especially in a month like April.

Nearer the holiday the pricer consoles can hold their own a but more but those who can afford and want a $400 consoles for themselves already have one pretty much it seems.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Skilotonn said:
That makes no sense whatsoever...

I never partake in the sales thing since it's totally not my thing, but how in the world could the 360 & PS3 sell that low with GTAIV's debut?

And the Wii increased with GTAIV being out, and selling stuff like Pokemon (I didn't even know there was a new one)...

I'm stumped...

New Pokemon is part of the Mystery Dungeon series, not the main series...though a new main Pokemon is on the way for next year

mclem

So, Microsoft, have you considered the possibility that it's actually the first to *11M* in the US that wins the console wars?

Is this the first month that Sony can't fall back on the old reliable 'Playstation brand' spin?

Jokeropia

Jibber Hack said:
Well, Wii numbers didn't go up either, so that means Mario Kart didn't move any systems either. Amiright?
Actually this NPD month had one week less than the last, so Wii sales did increase. Of course, assuming equal supply it would've gone sold just as much without Mario Kart.

Avrum

Nintendo

cheerpd8.png

Everyone Else

deathnc8.jpg

But seriously.... totally unexpected at the dip for everything.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
painful fart said:
Or in other words hardcore market saturated confirmed.

next gen consoles doomed. :(

GAF doomed. :(

This is how the world ends. Not with a bang, but with a wiimper.

Please tell me I'm not the first person to say that.

T Ghost

NeoUltima said:
Holy fuck... How the hell did the HD consoles sell so little, even with GTAIV....

Their prices are way above what the consumer that doesn't have a next console yet accepts to pay for a video game system. 360 should be at the $199 price point (pro system, not the tard pack) and PS3 $229 (40GB pack) by this time to improve the adoption of the remaining consumer base.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Lifetime sales (rounded down, nearest 10k):
PS3 - 4.23 million
Wii - 9.51 million
360 - 10.08 million

Yearly sales:
PS3 - 0.99 million
Wii - 2.14 million
360 - 0.93 million
PS2 - 0.95 million
DS - 1.95 million
PSP - 0.96 million

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
squicken said:
GTA4 isn't attracting existing PS2 owners into this gen. They are either Wii only or still waiting on price drop.

Man, these numbers are depressing. It's becoming increasingly clear the market can't support two core gamer systems. Going into next gen, I hope Sony and MS join forces. Let it be:

Nintendo=casual and nintendo games

Sony/MS=real games

:lol :lol :lol

What the hell is a "core gamer system?"

"Real games?" :lol :lol :lol

I own all three systems--they all serve their purpose.

Bring on the 3rd party Wii games!

besiktas1

Wow, so I'm guessing the next NextGen consoles will be NewGen? :( Makes no sense to make the leap if the cheap (and profitable one) one makes the money...

Also if GTA4 couldn't push consoles I wonder if MGS4 can (probably) then nothing to push consoles sales for either platforms untill the net Halo right? idk anymore, fuck it, from a business perspective MS + Sony push the waggle...

VAIL

See this sucks, I so wanted to say that GtaIV wasn't gonna move consoles, but I didn't want to hear the backlash from it, I should have just said it. GtaIV is just more of the same sadly, it doesn't do enough differently than the rest of the series, and now with EA doing it's best to swallow T2 you can put the kiss o' death on the series.

I never expected 360/PS3 to be that low, I don't think anyone did, they need price drops stat.

painful fart said:
Or in other words hardcore market saturated confirmed.

next gen consoles doomed. :(

GAF doomed. :(
It is starting to look that way. Sony and M$ needs prices cuts if they plan to reach the mass market.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Surely it's time to admit now...that the PS3 and 360 are bringing in the same crowd...

All that BS about the PS3/360 bringing in households just doesn't hold water anymore...The Wii is setting the example. Is paving the way and like moses split the sea...Nintendo has split gaming in half...:D

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Holy fucking shit at Wii sales... I have never seen anything quite like that in the month of April, like, ever... and nice to see MKWii managed to at least beat GTAIV PS3... Actually GTAIV didn't do nearly as massive as I was expecting.

360 just can't seem to get a foothold even in the US market...

Also, this is the least dominant MS has been in the top 10 in months.

Looks like we're gonna see a lot of GTA4 heavy Press releases from Sony and Microsoft this month.

Gaborn said:
That's basically what they shipped. They basically sold what they shipped.

That just blows my mind. I don't play video games, like, ever so I have no company preference, but I'm totally in admiration of whatever the hell they did that allows them to so ridiculously outsell everybody else with both of their platforms way after their release.

And GTA4 was in this NPD period, right? So that's a really strong argument for hardcore saturation, I'm guessing.

Sharp

These numbers are so bizarre it makes me wonder whether NPD will issue a retraction. They do that sometimes.

Foxix said:
I'm really surprised that Mario kart beat the ps3 version of GTA O-o I really expected GTA to dominate everything...

HOLY SHIT @ NINTENDO O_O it just keeps going and going. If I didn't know any better I would have to say that the Wii and DS fueled by spiral energy or something.

Nintendo
MegsKicked.gif
Everybody else
:lol awesome.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
itxaka said:
I expect MS to sell 10 consoles when ninja gaiden 2 launches and 9 for Sony when MGS4 arrives.

Weird world.

That would still be better than the negative sales that GTA did for them.

AniHawk said:
The white working class people in Kentucky will decide this console generation.
Then fuck Kentucky!

Whatever did they bring the world besides fried chicken? Damn casual white trash assholes!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I do think there will be a little bump next month- remember this tracking period only had a few days with GTA on sale.

Scotch

Mindblowng numbers. They're almost hard to believe. Halo 3 at least managed to put 360 ahead of Wii, and GTA4 didn't move a single extra console? On the contrary. Unbelievable.

I guess I should get used to the idea of the waggle future. Either that, or I'm going PC only again.

harSon

Banned
VAIL said:
See this sucks, I so wanted to say that GtaIV wasn't gonna move consoles, but I didn't want to hear the backlash from it, I should have just said it. GtaIV is just more of the same sadly, it doesn't do enough differently than the rest of the series, and now with EA doing it's best to swallow T2 you can put the kiss o' death on the series.

I never expected 360/PS3 to be that low, I don't think anyone did, they need price drops stat.

The Arcade 360 SKU is only $30 more then a Wii, I think there is more to the HD slump then the price tag.

Hero

Damn, crazy Nintendo numbers.

I expected at least 2 million for 360 GTAIV.

Next generation is going to be scaled way back now that MS and Sony are seeing numbers like this.

Top Bottom