• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Battlefield 2 hype thread!

Mrbob

255242x.jpg

243162x.jpg

We all know BF1942 became a very sweet game. BF:V was more of a split among gamers. Some loved it. Some hated it. I skipped it once I heard Battlefield 2 is coming (EA shouldn't have announced it before BF:V was out! :lol ). But the time is almost here, as BF2 is just around the corner shipping June 21. Right now if you preorder the game (Either DVD or CD version) you get a logitech headset for free with it! This is good as it sounds like team work will be more important in BF2 with the new commander mode. Here are a couple quick links to being able to purchase the game:

DVD edition

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/243162.asp
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=B646083A
http://www.gogamer.com/cgi-bin/GoGamer.storefront/SESSIONID/Product/View/001BATTL2D

CD Edition

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/243162.asp
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=B645768A
http://www.gogamer.com/cgi-bin/GoGamer.storefront/SESSIONID/Product/View/001BATTL2

IGN has a recent preview of the game up with videos here:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/622/622390p1.html

The preview highlights the individual aspects of each IGN writer and what they are focusing on at the moment.

You can find a 10 minute video preview and various other videos here:

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/677/677882/vids_1.html

I definitely recommend the 10 minute preview, as it goes through the new aspects of BF2. Good detail about the commander mode too. Sounds awesome! On the IGN Boards there is some question and answer segments going on and I figure I would post some of the responses here. More to come if I get any:

How is the perfomance when settings/resolution is maxed?
What are the specs on the computer you're running it on? What resolution are you playing it on and how does it run?
Hey can you mention the specs of the machine you were playing it on, and what res you were using?

These are approximations, but based on the various systems we've played it on:

1.8GHz, 64MB video RAM, 512k RAM - 1024x768, low details (still looks good, btw)

2GHz, 128MB video RAM, 1GB RAM - 1280 x 960, medium details

3GHz, 256MB video RAM, 1GB RAM - everything maxed (the videos you're seeing)

Is it better than staring at Morgan Webb's breasts from two feet away?

Yes.

1. Will IGN Have an official server for the demo and full game?

2. What are the helicoter controls like? Is it like BFV where holding down on the thruttle increases altitude? Is altitude a seperate control than the throttle? Do they work well with a flighstick?

1) Most likely, at least for some matches

2) Throttle increases altitude. Haven't tried with a flightstick, but I maxed my mouse sensitivity and I'm flying decently now

Can support gunners deploy bipods for improved accuracy?

Not that I've seen, but I'll test for that.

Do the guns feel like they have "weight" to them?

Yes, they do. I love the "feel" of the game so far.

How detailed are the environments?

They're nice. Not jungles or dense forests (wouldn't be good for vehicles, anyway), but everything looks good.

How's the game look in different settings? Low, Medium, High, etc.

Low - good
Medium - better
High - awesome :0)

1. How many tank rounds does it take to destroy a tank in a one on one front to front battle? ie, are we going to have to blast round after round hammering away at one another or will one or two rounds do it?

2. Overall, how are the map designs? Lots of choke points or pretty much wide open? Also, are the maps larger, smaller, or the same compared with BF42 (assuming the maps are set for 32+ players)?

3. Is it true? No CTF?[b/]

1) 3 or 4 tank rounds, 2 or so anti-tank blasts

2) Even the wide open maps have choke points like alleyways, trainyards, etc. I dig the map design so far. Maps are good size for 16, 32 and 64 players, and all maps are scalable.

How do the helicoptors and jets feel >?

I can actually fly them with the mouse this time, so I'm happy.

Does infantry combat feel better then it did in BF42 and BFV?

I liked infantry combat in BF42, but it feels even better in BF2. Much closer to 1942 than Vietnam, though.

How are the medic and the support class, both in terms of how fun they are to play and in terms of how effective they are in terms of helping their team? I got really excited when I heard the improvements to their classes, because quite honestly, it sounded like they were making them like their RtCW counterparts- and in that game, medics and lieutenants are the backbone of a good team. So how do they compare in BF2?

Much better. They actually make a difference and everything is automatic if they are in the area, even in vehicles. So if an engineer is in a damaged vehicle, it gets repaired, and if a medic is in your general area, you get healed. It's slow, but it's something.

How is the perfomance when settings/resolution is maxed?

It's all variable. On my 3.0GHz, 1GB RAM and GeForce FX 5950 Ultra, it's totally unplayable on max settings, but runs perfectly on medium settings at 1024 x 768.

On Tom's 3.0GHz, 1GB RAM and GeForce 6800 GT it runs perfectly at 1280 x 960 with max detail and 4x FSAA.

Can support gunners deploy bipods for improved accuracy?

No, but going prone improves accuracy considerably, as does firing down the iron sight. Combining prone with iron sight shooting is the way to go.

Note that the support class isn't nearly as powerful as the heavy gunners from Vietnam.

How big is the dvd install?

Looks like a 1.77GB footprint.

2. Overall, how are the map designs? Lots of choke points or pretty much wide open? Also, are the maps larger, smaller, or the same compared with BF42 (assuming the maps are set for 32+ players)?

Seems like a really good mix. This time around, DICE appears to have more heavily focused on Road to Rome's populated stretches of land that were interspersed with super tight choke points. Often times, levels also include large impassable barriers -- like oceans and mountain ranges -- that separate points of interest.

Right now I really, really like the levels because they include lots of areas vehicles can go nuts in, but the design is altogether tighter and more interesting than before. Some levels also come with cool central areas, like the infamous dam. The one thing I'm not seeing, however, are super wide open spaces like El Alamein fro m1942 or wacky special interest levels like Midway.

How powerful do the grenades seem? {In 1942 they seemed kinda wimpy to me} How far do bodies fly?

Can you go on top of buldings/other structures?

1) Like a real grenade, they pack a powerful punch, but they have a small area of major damage. It still takes quite a few to take a tank out, but you can take out an infantry with one well-placed grenade if they don't have cover.

2) Yep, plus there are a lot more ladders/stairs around now so there's a lot more opportunities for elevated play. There are even huge contruction cranes like you see used for building skyscrapers that you can climb all the way to the top of. I'd say they're about 20 or so stories above the battlefield, and make for good snipe points.

What about seeing through walls? I understand the view height is now at eye level whereas with BF42 it was at waist level because one could potentially go prone and stick ones head through a buildings wall to see inside but yet be invunerable. I assume this is all sorted now?

I haven't been able to see through walls, but I have seen shadows improperly cast over and through obstructions. That gives away an enemy's position and is pretty lame, but it doesn't happen that often and it could just be a result of my setup at work.

1. Do you have to rent servers from EA for the new persistant stats tracking?

Nope. Stat tracking is free.

Does it feature a robust single-player campaign?

Hell no. Singleplayer games even seem to be limited to 16 players and non-configurable maps

Only a couple more weeks! :D

Lionheart

Can't wait for the demo (1-2 more weeks right?). I skipped BF:V as well, because I just didn't like the setting and I'm glad I did after hearing the bad things about that game and the great things about BF2.

And I'm also glad to hear that I can probably run this game at medium settings, which seems to look very good still. I was a bit worried at first that this game would not run very well.

Falch

Gimme gimme gimme!

Any word on when we can expect a demo?

Plz let this game run decently on my PC (Intel 2,4 Ghz, 512 Mb RAM, Radeon 9700 128mb).

Daigoro

yeah, im looking forward to the demo.

the video of the buggy ride made me want to get in that thing and tear around.

this game looks like its gonna be fun. :D

Slo

Looks like you should have no problem running it at all, if the information above is correct.

yeah but I dont like cutting down details, and I like high framerates

Im in a shitty spot pc wise. Sure I could dump a new 3d card in it but I dont have PCI-E Mobo

and if I get that mobo i might as well get a new cpu and if I do that I might as well jump to 2 gigs dual channelled so meh... I ll wait.

pestul

ZombieSupaStar said:
looks good but I dont think my rig will handle it well

XP 3000

1 Gig Dual Channel DDR

9800 pro

I think Ill wait till Xmas or after
I'm betting you'll be able to run it at 1024x768 w/very near HQ settings (No FSAA.. but maybe some Aniso).

Slo

One of my *sources* just told me that DNF has switched to the BattleField 2 engine! GOTY!!!

Mrbob

So do you think there will be actual teamwork this time around or will everyone still run around on their own like idiots?? :lol Seems like DICE has put a ton of time into trying to use as much teamwork as possible. I'd like to perhaps form a team I know who will actually strategize. Especially since you get the Xbox Live headset for free with the preorder! Communication!

Flo_Evans

ahhh!! I need more time to save up for a new GFX card >_<

oh well I'll just put it on low detail and squint!

FUCK YEAH BF2!!

garrickk

Looks amazing. But there will be a lot of this:

"Whhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Can we please get a commander who isn't a moron??? Please!?"

garrickk

tuco11 said:
I know this is a dumb noob question, but what version is better to get the PC or Dvd version?

The media for the "DVD version" is just on a DVD-Rom disc. If your PC has a DVD drive, get that (unless you like having to use many CDs when installing).

Slo

For fuck's sake, buy the DVD version. Buying the CD version just encourages publishers to release games on 6 fricken' CDs instead of a single DVD. If you don't have a DVD-Rom by now, round up $30 and buy one. It's time.

Mrbob

Slo said:
For fuck's sake, buy the DVD version. Buying the CD version just encourages publishers to release games on 6 fricken' CDs instead of a single DVD. If you don't have a DVD-Rom by now, round up $30 and buy one. It's time.

Yeah, I can't believe DVD drive penetration is so damn low on PCs. I remember opening up my Psychonauts game box and seeing 5 cds! WTF!

Please insert disc 1...
please insert disc 2...
etc
etc

Ridiculous! If you got a DVD drive for the sake of your own sanity buy the DVD verrsion. If you don't have a DVD drive it is about time to get one! :D

Mrbob

AndoCalrissian said:
I'll have to wait until I upgrade my PC this summer before I can look into this. Awesome that it comes with a headset though!

I'm not sure if the headset if free with only preorders. If you want the headset you may want to preorder the game. I hope the headset is bundled with every copy so there are no excuses to not have a headset while playing online.

Slo

It says on the website that quanities of the headset are limited and you have to pick them up instore. It looks like its the same headset that came with UT2004.

Mrbob

Grrr, well I'll order it online then and wait a couple extra days. I always get screwed by EB in store with pre order bonuses.

Vlad

Flo_Evans said:
oh well I'll just put it on low detail and squint!

Ditto here. Hopefully they'll really allow some scalability like the original did. I'd be perfectly happy running in 800x600 if the game's actually good.

i like probably everyone in this thread am hyped as fuck for this game, already pre-ordered at ebgames.com and have been playing a lot of bf1942 and dc lately. supposedly the demo is out on the 10th so not much longer now.

to the topic creator, if you can post at the ign q&a thread, ask the guy if the stairs and ladders are as clunky and buggy as they were in the original bf. sure it was funny to randomly die from running down the stairs the first time but after that it just really showed how unpolished and weird the bf engine was

xabre

Banned
Soundwave 2k4 said:
to the topic creator, if you can post at the ign q&a thread, ask the guy if the stairs and ladders are as clunky and buggy as they were in the original bf. sure it was funny to randomly die from running down the stairs the first time but after that it just really showed how unpolished and weird the bf engine was

This has been....................................fixed.

flsh

Banned
I'm getting one GB of ram just for this game (well... and FEAR). I hope it runs at a steady freamrate (2.4 800MHz, 1GB ram, 9800 pro 128mb)...
Anyone knows if I will get a free headset even if I preorder from ukgames?

golem

i got my headset at Gamestop along with my 360 preorder.. it was the last one in the store (but they said they'll be ordering more). a64 3200+, 1gig ram, 6800gt.. hopefully i wont have to go SLI to get it to run well in 1680x1050, dont force my hand DICE!!

Mike Works said:
Any word on a 360 port? I upgraded my computer for BF1942 and I almost did for Vietnam. I don't want to do it again.

You'll break when the war stories start coming in. I have a feeling this game won't be too taxing on specs but I'll be picking up an extra 512 of RAM just in case. Game looks HAWT and I'm downloading the old Wake Island demo from the first just to get prepped.

Ferny84

Banned
I wonder how it will run on a...

amd 2500+ xp processor
1gb 3200 ram
9800 pro 128mb (oced)

I hope it dont run like poop.

Mrbob

Supposedly the 5.6 ATI drivers coming are going to give a bigger boost for games:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=23594

Usually I dismiss almost anything The Inquirer posts, but a broken clock is right two times a day. :D From what I'm reading at various boards from 'ATI insiders' there actually might be some substance to this article.

Although this seems to be more of a boost towards Open GL games. I forget but I think BF2 is DX based so the driver probably won't do much.

Top Bottom