• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Battlefield 2 hype thread!

Hooker

Slo said:
How so? I already had this headset from UT2004, what do other headsets do better? What Id most like is for the headset to act just like an XBL headset, instead of putting the music and sound effects through the headphones.

Linky?
That headset just reams cheapness. It starts to hurt your ears as well after long usage. I got a Sennheiser PC150 and can't look back anymore.

To archieve what you want, it's kinda difficult but doable. You need ether 2 sound cards (the one from the motherboard can serve as one, and I reckon you have an Audigy planted in one as well) And use a third party program to talk to your buddies, like Skype, Teamspeak, Ventrilo etc.

I've heard it's also possible when you're using a USB headset

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I'd expect better from a Logitech, but this is a cheap freebie, so no complaints from me

ok.. whats the BEST HEADSET out there?

I'm buying a good headset with Audigy2 cuz my crappy on-board sound keeps buzzing all the time...

Altered Beast

Neo Member

For the price. This is hard to beat: PS2 USB headset

That way you could also use it with all the the great online PS2 games like SOCOM, SOCOM II, and the upcoming SOCOM III. :D

The USB headset that came with the original SOCOM would work as well....and could probably be had for even cheaper than $30...plus you get the game too.

ZombieSupaStar said:
i was thinking about this card

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6684652&type=product&id=1083712392168

comes with a lifetime warrenty also what you think?

i think this would be the last upgrade I could possibbly do out of just building a whole new 64bit pci X rig (which would prolly cost me around 1500).

Well that's pretty freaking expensive considering I just bought a Leadtek 6800GT AGP card for $300 from Newegg.com a few weeks ago.

Leadtek also has the best heatsink/fan on the 6800 series. Cools great, and is super quiet, unlike some of the hair dryers other companies have on their cards.

Hooker

almokla said:

I'm buying a good headset with Audigy2 cuz my crappy on-board sound keeps buzzing all the time...
The ones from the companies which make high-end headphones.

You get great stuff like noise cancelling techniques. Plus, they have a better fit. Not to mention the accoustics are much better than your typical logitech headsets. The PS2 headset mentioned, avoid it. It's not even friggin' stereo!!

Depending on what you're willing to spend. The Sennheiser PC150 (PC155 for USB version - a lot more expensive though) retails for about €40/€50. I'm kinda an audiophile and I use that one. You have higher-end models, but not quite worth the price IMO.

Error Macro said:
Well that's pretty freaking expensive considering I just bought a Leadtek 6800GT AGP card for $300 from Newegg.com a few weeks ago.

Leadtek also has the best heatsink/fan on the 6800 series. Cools great, and is super quiet, unlike some of the hair dryers other companies have on their cards.

cool error I just ordered this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814122195

I hope to get another year or so outta this rig now

XP 3000+ 400( fsb)
gig of pc3200 dual channel ddr
6800GT 256
XP Pro

THink I can error?

cool, Next time I wanna upgrade is when prices are at a sweet spot (ie good deals on ram 64bit chips, next next gen cards, etc)

we should start a gaf BF 2 clan :D

Hooker said:
The ones from the companies which make high-end headphones.

You get great stuff like noise cancelling techniques. Plus, they have a better fit. Not to mention the accoustics are much better than your typical logitech headsets. The PS2 headset mentioned, avoid it. It's not even friggin' stereo!!

Depending on what you're willing to spend. The Sennheiser PC150 (PC155 for USB version - a lot more expensive though) retails for about ?40/?50. I'm kinda an audiophile and I use that one. You have higher-end models, but not quite worth the price IMO.

Audigy2 gives you a zero noise output, I'm using PIONEER's headset now, but it doesnt have a volume control.

Hooker

That's PR talk :p

The internal components of the computer itself generate a lot of noise. For zero noise, you need an external sound card. But my take on the noise cancelling techniques are more about the microphone (good for noisy rooms like LAN-parties), and the headset itself (blocking sounds from people screaming, or cars trying to burnout outside)

Those aren't covered by the sound card :)

no, my friend has the Audigy1 Platinum pack, and he uses the same exact headset as mine, I turned the volume to MAX, and I didn't even notice it.

maybe its the card plus the Pioneer combo?

Slo

Holy crap, those Sennheisers look sweet, but I don't know if I can stomach spending another $100 on a headset. Right now I own a set of Sony MDR-V600s, not a headset, but really comfortable headphones. Is the audio quality similar?

Altered Beast

Neo Member
The PS2 headset mentioned, avoid it. It's not even friggin' stereo!!

Well, I was assuming that you would set it up so that voice/sound is output to your speakers while you only use the mic for voice input.

ZombieSupaStar said:
cool error I just ordered this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814122195

I hope to get another year or so outta this rig now

XP 3000+ 400( fsb)
gig of pc3200 dual channel ddr
6800GT 256
XP Pro

THink I can error?

Very cool. :rock

Like Hooker said, you should be able to run BF2 no problemo. In another year, we're gonna have all this dual-core crap shoved down our throats, plus next-gen vid cards, Windows Longhorn, etc., so I think it's good to wait until then to upgrade. Your PC should be fine 'til then.

Xfire should (well, it just has to!) support Battlefield 2, so I'll check in and see if anyone is playing a game and join in.

Hooker

Slo said:
Holy crap, those Sennheisers look sweet, but I don't know if I can stomach spending another $100 on a headset. Right now I own a set of Sony MDR-V600s, not a headset, but really comfortable headphones. Is the audio quality similar?
I'd get the normal ones (PC150) instead of the expensive USB one (PC155)

Costs less than half of the USB one, and the inner working are fairly similar. I haven't tested the MDR-V600s so I can't comment if they're comparable sound quality wise. Only thing I can tell you is that they rock!! Sound is really fucking good, crisp highs, and full lows.

The sound gets distorted when you max out the equaliser in windows, but you'll blow your ear-drums out first before you reach that point.

Daigoro

Error Macro said:
Xfire should (well, it just has to!) support Battlefield 2, so I'll check in and see if anyone is playing a game and join in.

yes, hopefully xfire gets down with this demo right away.

cmon DEMO! i want to play you.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Doom_Bringer said:
GS complete members: Demo in 10 mins!!!

Shit what?!?! Really? :eek: I'm glad I still have my membership..

/runs to GS

edit - where are you seeing this? link?

I was playing BF 1942 and someone informed me there, found this link at GS forums

http://forums.gamspot.com/gamespot/show_messages.php?board=314159267&topic=21446268&page=0

f you're the lucky owner of a gamespot complete account, you should be able to get the bf2 demo at 24:01

The bf2 demo will be out tonight for gamespot's customers, and will be available for everyone.. apparently.

This friday, gamers with action in their blood will be able to look forward to EA releasing the long awaited BF2 demo, letting FPS gamers get first impressions of what's awaiting them when the game hits the stores later on this month. However, reports from EA have been confusing. It seems that gamespot have managed to secure the demo for a period of 24 hours, where noone else is allowed to host the demo. We, and many others are traditionally against these deals, and would normally boycott the demo. EA does however state that they don't expect anyone to uphold this embargo. A somewhat strange announcement, that they'll probably have to talk with gamespot about. We're looking forward to this happening, and are naturally going to host the demo this friday.

OK NOW CHILL OUT JESUS HERES YOUR LINK

http://xplayn.boomtown.net/forum/topic/9650
24:01 is MIDNIGHT so if they mean MIDNIGHT THEIR TIME that would be 6pm EASTERN U.S. TIME

Well that's a nice thing to come home to. :)

Glad I got the GS membership for E3.

As an aside, how the hell do you cancel a friggin' GS sub? I can't find the link anywhere. Please don't tell me I have to call that phone # that shows up in the account details page. =(

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Doom_Bringer said:
Demo in less than 1 min! ^_^

It's past 6pm EST by my reckoning. Don't you think they'd also have a teaser up beforehand if they had a 24 hour exclusive?

:(

Uh oh, I hope this isn't a game killer. From Gamespots latest preview...

Another big change to the gameplay here is the lack of scope drift, which is somewhat disconcerting. Snipers in Battlefield 1942 had to contend with the slight but present drifting of their aim after zooming out and shooting, but in Battlefield 2, scope drift seems to have been eliminated altogether, which may have some adverse effects on the balance of classes on servers. Those of us who played a lot of Battlefield 1942 have fond memories of trying to win matches when half of our team was up in the hills, missing three quarters of their shots and not even bothering to attempt to capture flags. The lack of even a minimum of scope drift to make the class at least seem difficult to play may result in more problematic situations, where all the new players insist on doing their worst Vasily Zaitsev impression and wind up making it difficult for their team to capture flags. Heck, there isn't even any scope drift when you zoom while standing up (we managed to make a few 100-meter kills this way). Not that it's necessarily easy to be a sniper, and the ability for opposing players to sprint is going to make it difficult to hit moving targets. Still, a little more difficulty, if only to make the class something that requires practice to get good at, would've been appreciated.

Perhaps Im jumping the gun (ha!) and I suppose its nothing that couldn't be adjusted with a patch if there's a demand for it, but this seems incredibly short sighted for Dice to come out of the gate with. This could be worse than BFV's M60 whores, at least you had players still trying to capture flags in that situation. Imagine 10+ snipers on each team? Ugh.

Also thought this was kind of confusing...

If you're coming straight from Battlefield 1942, then you're definitely going to notice a distinctly smaller amount of recoil on the weapons, to the point where many of them seem to have almost no recoil at all. Even if you can aim incredibly well, the spread is still going to make it difficult to hit enemies at medium range.

Wouldn't less recoil make it easier to aim?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It seems mass hysteria has broken out across a number of sites, forums and our IRC channel, with rumours coming from all directions that the demo could be released tonight. A fake demo is known to be circulating on the torrent system, so be wary of that as it is not Battlefield 2 related at all. The demo is 100% not out, and there has been no official announcement regarding it.

In a video interview with EA's Scott Evans at E3, it was said that the demo would be released exclusively via Gamespot (most likely a 1 day exclusive). A news post on Boomtown (Danish) mentions that this will occur tonight in less than 2 hours, however, this seems highly unlikely and cannot be confirmed. Other sources claim a Friday the 10th release, so keep an eye out in the coming days.

We are well aware of the confusion circulating and will keep you updated with information as and when we get it. You can always browse our forums to see what the latest gossip is but be careful in what you believe. Lastly, we will e-mail all registered forum members when it is released, so make sure you don't miss the biggest news of the year and register now!

http://www.totalbf2.com/

Oh well, cross your fingers.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Sniping could be a problem, but theyll still have to lead with the latency and all. There wll prboably be alot more sniping kills, but it might not be too bad. Meh I dont care! I wont be playing on pub servers anyways :D

Hajaz

no card is specified, but if you look closely youll see that some require the z buffer, with is only on 9800 and later cards iirc

ive also got another leaked slide witch shows the improvement for pciE cards using thehypermemory technique. quite amazing

Lionheart

Sorry, no demo yet, but:

[url=http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06/09/news_6127191.html]GameSpot[/url] said:
Although Battlefield 2 won't invade stores until June 21, PC gamers will get a chance to test-fire a demo of Electronic Arts' shooter sooner. EA confirmed today that it is planning to release a sample of Digital Illusions CE's forthcoming modern-combat shooter "very soon." When the Battlefield 2 demo is released, it will make its world premiere on GameSpot, and will be initially available not only to GameSpot registered users, but also to unregistered visitors as well.

[...]

The demo will feature three variations of the Gulf of Oman map from Battlefield 2, which is set in a near-future conflict between three clashing powers: The United States, China, and the fictional Middle Eastern Coalition (MEC). The single-player, 16-player, and 32-player versions of the map included in the demo will pit the US against the MEC in time-limit-based combat. (China is not playable in the demo.)

However, the demo will not include any additional maps or other features found in the retail version of Battlefield 2. Besides the Chinese forces, the full BF2 will feature 30 vehicles and 20 soldier kits from all three sides. It will also sport a total of 12 maps, each available for 16, 32, and 64 players. Online play will be enhanced with voice-over IP and persistent character scoring, while the new battlefield commander mode will give players a tactical edge on the, er, battlefield.

So demo will officially debute on GameSpot, exact date not know, but 'very soon' (Friday?) and unregistered GameSpot users can download it then as well. :)

Deg

Banned
I am getting the Logitech MX 518 gamers mouse for this. Might replace my crap microphone. :D

Is the free headset also running for the UK too?

Top Bottom