• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Battlefield 2 hype thread!

Hooker

DarkAngelYuna said:
It wont even boot on the ti series. The card needs to support 1.4 shaders for it to bootup.
Do you have a source for this, my uncle isn't going to be happy about this if true

Borys

Banned
Hooker said:
Do you have a source for this, my uncle isn't going to be happy about this if true

No GF4 love.

Which is very good, leave the dinosaurs in the past.
I mean you wouldn't want your 360 games to work on Xbox1, would you?

pestul

So how far does that go back on the ATI side of things? I'm pretty sure the R8500s had 1.4spec.. I wonder how this game will run on my buddies R9200 :X..

EDIT: Poor DM, now you are forced to upgrade. Besides, your card might be dying anyway (no resale value :( )..

I wonder how it will run on my 9800 Pro because BF Vietnam ran like shit!!! EA better release a demo on Friday otherwise I will pass, BFVietnam was a total waste of $50.

shpankey

not an idiot
anyone feel like a GAF bf1942 day? just for all us to get back into the series and brush up on all our skills before the BF 2 release.

anyone have access to a private server that's good?

Doom_Bringer said:
I wonder how it will run on my 9800 Pro because BF Vietnam ran like shit!!! EA better release a demo on Friday otherwise I will pass, BFVietnam was a total waste of $50.

too true, i have a 9800 pro also and i reinstalled bf vietnam last night, thinking that surely it couldn't be as god awful performance-wise over a year later. well guess what, it still is.

although i dont think it was ever $50, i bought it release day for like $35. still a huge waste though, but i wouldn't worry about bf2. bf vietnam was most likely a sloppy rushjob to capitalize on the bf1942 success. judging from all the gameplay footage of bf2 out there, this is not the case for the sequel. not to mention its an entirely new engine, unlike vietnam

Mrbob

EA/Dice must be pretty confident about the performance of BF2 on older cards like 9800PRO since they plan on releasing a demo before the game is out. If you have a 9800PRO (Like me) we are probably lookin gat 1024 X768 on medium settings.

hgplayer1

I was watching the masterbit video at IGN and whoever was playing in the vid was pretty much doing his own thing. I dont think I saw him working with a teammate once the whole time. it didnt look like there were a whole lot of people in the game but you would think at some point they would team up to do something.

If I can get the demo to run at all on my PC Ill buy it for sure. might even be time for a new PC. :D

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
5o8dg3

I picked my headset up today

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
'Nam ran fine on my 9800 pro (everything at max detail) and my computer is a POS (see spec earlier in the thread).

Anyone know any places where I can get a good deal on a GeForce FX 5950 Ultra or a GeForce 6800 GT? I have a GeForce FX 5200...That's 128 MB right? Other than that I'm good...3.0 Ghz, and 512 RAM.

Or uh...What's the graphics card that is reccomended for Half-Life 2? I'd be content with one of those, and would have no problem finding one. ATI Radeon...Something.

Rorschach

Per-Ordered my copy ages ago. I LOVED BF1942 and I'm extremely hyped for this. x800 better be able to run it smooth on max T_T

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So this game is out June 21 in the US? I had read somewhere before that Europe might get it a couple of days early, but looking at GAME's website, the opposite seems to be true (Jun 24) :( That's like 3 weeks away. Hopefully the demo is out this week.

Hooker

WTH, that's just stupid. Paying for a $400 card and just play at 1024*768...

That's like buying a Porsche so you can drop the kids off at school 3 blocks further. Go to 1280*1024/960 or even 1600*1200. THAT is what those cards are made for. High resolutions with FSAA/AA (which may be a bit too much to ask from your card if it's vanilla x800)

EDIT: Europe is June 23rd

Forsete

Gold Member
Battlefield 1942 as well as Battlefield Vietnam did not support my screens native resolution (1280x1024) any word on if Battlefield 2 lacks this resolution as well?

Hooker

Heard nothing but good things about the card. Maybe except for the stock cooler but I haven't ever seen a card with a proper stock cooler (www.arctic-cooling.com fanboy :D)

That life-time warranty is only for parts. So probably the core and RAM, something else breaks, isn't covered in the small print. Not that much of a problem though, as no card has a fully covered warranty. Plus, you said you'll buy a new rig in the next couple of years so no biggie.

Before you purchase it, check your PSU. Acquaintance bought the same card, and had to buy a new PSU because it couldn't provide enough A over the V-rails. Check the recommended spec sheet at the nvidia website and look if you fit the bill

Rorschach

Hooker said:
WTH, that's just stupid. Paying for a $400 card and just play at 1024*768...

That's like buying a Porsche so you can drop the kids off at school 3 blocks further. Go to 1280*1024/960 or even 1600*1200. THAT is what those cards are made for. High resolutions with FSAA/AA (which may be a bit too much to ask from your card if it's vanilla x800)

EDIT: Europe is June 23rd
rotf 400 dollars...no...just no...I want to run the game maxed with a good frame rate. Anyway, I meant that I *at least* wanted 1024*769 maxed out in reply to your "godly resolutions"

Hooker

That should be more than enough. Those Antec PSUs are among the best money can buy. And 480W should also be enough

Hooker said:
That should be more than enough. Those Antec PSUs are among the best money can buy. And 480W should also be enough

I have a questuion tho that measurement is just a voltage right there shouldnt be any propreitary connector I should have (other than the basic power connectors used on Hard Drives, CD Drives, Other graphic card)

also it says to not use 2 on the same cord could I use say 1 on 1 cord and the other on a cord that also Has a hard drive on the line?

shpankey

not an idiot
Forsete said:
Battlefield 1942 as well as Battlefield Vietnam did not support my screens native resolution (1280x1024) any word on if Battlefield 2 lacks this resolution as well?
To get that (or any) resolution in BF1942 or Vietnam, do this:

In the following files:
C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\Mods\bf1942\Settings\Profiles\Custom\VideoCustom.con
C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\Mods\bf1942\Settings\Profiles\Custom\Video.con

...replace the line:
game.setGameDisplayMode 800 600 32 0

...with:
game.setGameDisplayMode 1280 1024 32 60

[note: the last number (60) is the refresh rate you want, change it if you want something else]

Also, if you add the line:
renderer.fieldOfView 1.1

..to the following file:
C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\Mods\bf1942\Settings\VideoDefault.con

...you will get a wider aspect ratio (which will be more correct for that resolution, i think). Then set all of those files to read-only.

If for some reason this doesn't work for you, you may have to re-install the game, then apply this fix first, then update the game with the latest patches.

Make sure you do not create a profile when you first load it up. When the game loads, just go to Multiplayer, then exit. Then reload the game, again skip the Profile and go straight to multiplayer (or Options, or wherever) and your done. And you can change your multiplayer name in the options without affecting this. I run my BF games at 1680x1050 (16:10), an unsupported resolution, by using this method.

Slo

How so? I already had this headset from UT2004, what do other headsets do better? What Id most like is for the headset to act just like an XBL headset, instead of putting the music and sound effects through the headphones.

Linky?

Desperado

siege said:
Min req's:

1.7 Ghz CPU
512 Megabytes of RAM
128 MB video card (must support 1.4 shaders)

I'm SoL.

hoooooly shit I never realized how shitty my comp is for gaming...

1.6 Ghz Pentium 4
256 MB RAM
64 MB Geforce 2 MX

wow. :lol

Slo

:-O

I owned a GeForce 2 MX once. Thought it was great, but then I upgraded to a $300 GeForce3 and found out how much I was missing out on. I think that was like 5 years ago. :lol

Top Bottom