• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Doom 3 Topic. (ALL POSTS ON THE GAME HERE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKluck

Banned
Man, dropping test lights makes your frames drop like crazy. Putting just 3 or 4 in a room takes it down from 60 to less than 15.

Tenguman

I am extremely proud of Doom 3. I think it is the best game we have ever made

I'd agree with that statement, but I think they still have a lot of catching up to do in terms of FPS gameplay.

Pimpbaa

Belfast said:
Welcome to Doom.

I loved Doom 1 and 2. Doom 3 is nothing like them, other than the theme and some of the same enemies. D3 is more like the single player modes in Quake 1 and 2.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Intense is a good word for Doom 3. Too dark, but obviously, that was the aim of the game :p

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
It's TOO FUCKING DARK. Man I set the brightness all the way up and after exiting the game the brightness stayed all the way up. Brilliant.

[20:06] <CK> If I worked in such a dimly lit lab, I'd also cause an accident that would summon monsters from another dimension

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
ACTIVISION IS FILLED WITH GENIUSES!

First I couldn't install the game on my machine and had to do a manual install (described in a previous post) and now I'm at a friend's computer and with his just recently purchased copy of Doom 3. WHAT'S THE PROBLEM? THERE IS NO CD KEY, YAY!

Pimpbaa

I wonder if someone is making a mod that attaches a light to every gun in the game. That would help a lot.

Kon Tiki

Banned
I KNOW mods are not illegial. There isa co-op mod that is out ona certain BT site.

You pick start a MP server, then pick a SP map and BAM Co-op.

You can tell ID wanted co-op, the first level has enough spots for 2 people to be scanned. ;)

Neo_ZX

Yay the most useless weapon in the game.

Seriously though someone has to come out with a mod for this. I'm all for atmosphere but really, if they can build a base on Mars, you'd think they'd have a light on at least a few of the guns.

Are there any wide open spaces later on? Curious.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wow, tonight was even better! I'm really starting to enjoy it a lot now! There were some seriously cool and creative scenarios present during my playtime tonight. The game is also just so intense...more so than virtually any other FPS. Those spiders absolutely OWN you up and down!

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Why are the military guys called marines? Where's the ocean?

Dark10x, how far into the game do you think you are? I'm glad to hear it's getting better and more intense. Also I would really appreciate if you could post up some more detailed impressions (sans spoilers of course)... I always enjoy reading your impressions even though I don't always agree. I'm dying to play the game but I won't have a proper rig for at least another month so I'm trying to live through everyones impressions:(

Thanks to the config file tweaks listed on page 3 D3's running decently on my computer now @ 30-60 fps with a resolution of 800x600...thanks y'all =)

I have it on medium video quality, no v-sync or AA

My system specs:
-2.8 P4 800MHz HT
-1GB Crucial RAM PC3200
-XFX GeForce FX5900 128MB
-120GB SATA WD HDD
-DirectX 9c
-NVidia 61.77 drivers
-17" Samsung 172X LCD Monitor, 12ms response time (looks ok running D3 at 800x600 even though it has a native resolution of 1280x1024)
-Everyting all stuffed into a small form-factor mini-PC (ie. a 'shoebox')

I could barely run the game before. Now, I've upped the res to 1024X768, added high textures, and put in AAX4. The game runs better then wehn I had it on its lowest settings. Its not perfect...but I'm averaging around 15-30 fps. Not to shabby.

marsomega

dark10x said:
Wow, tonight was even better! I'm really starting to enjoy it a lot now! There were some seriously cool and creative scenarios present during my playtime tonight. The game is also just so intense...more so than virtually any other FPS. Those spiders absolutely OWN you up and down!

Oh dear god yes. Every vent I've been in I've been at the edge of my seat knowing this game had those from the pics. But
when I came to the room with the webs and the hanging bodies I was like .."Oh for the love of all thats holy please not the spiders oh dear god no." Those spiders own and are always in numbers.

Dark, don't you think the teleporting demons are give aways? I mean, once you see the symbols, just run up wait for it to appear and roar and blast it with a shotgun blast to the head.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Everyone look at my previous post, it explains all aspects of the Doom 3 config file and how to really optimize it. Hell it even shows how to enable true shadowing (going to try it soon) instead of the pseudo results we've been experiencing with the flashlight.

ANYWAYS....

For a simple performance boost open up all your .pk4 files located within the "base" directory with your favorite unzipping program. Unzip ALL FILES (including subdirectories) into the "base" folder. You should see decreased load times and faster FPS. Once you're done with all the .pk4 files then go ahead and delete them to avoid conflicts. If any problems arise then simply copy the .pk4 files from your Doom 3 CDs back into the "base" folder to revert back.

EDIT: Sadly disabling the "r_useTurboShadow" and "r_useOptimizedShadows" provided no results both through the config file and the in game console.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
border said:
Tekuno -- so there is no way to get rid of the ghetto shadows?
The option is there but so far all my efforts have been in vain.

I went through the config file and manually inserted it the two commands, didn't work. I tried going through the in-game console, same thing. Just right now I inserted it into the config file, saved, and made it read only. Same results, absolutely no change in dynamic shadows and a decrease in FPS.

Kon Tiki

Banned
TekunoRobby said:
The onlsaught of mods has begun here are all the latest ones:

http://www.gamershell.com/news/14535.html

I've heard reports of the co-op mod not working, the game crashes whenever the 2nd player joins. The rest seem to work very well, even the 32 player mod.

I tried the co-op serveral times.

1) Does not work on maps with cinemas.

2) the other player lags out, i mean a ping int he 3000s.

Was fun till it crashed.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Whenever a player goes into cinematics the game itself freezes, as long as you avoid that the game plays.

We loaded the very first level and we were stuck in the initial room of the in game cinematic of the guys watching the ship land down on base. Only problem is that everything was pitch black and there was a single monitor jumping up and down like crazy. We strafed each other and shooted like idiots then my friend hit a cinematic and everything froze. YAY

Trying hell now, weee!

Kon Tiki

Banned
TekunoRobby said:
Whenever a player goes into cinematics the game itself freezes, as long as you avoid that the game plays.

We loaded the very first level and we were stuck in the initial room of the in game cinematic of the guys watching the ship land down on base. Only problem is that everything was pitch black and there was a single monitor jumping up and down like crazy. We strafed each other and shooted like idiots then my friend hit a cinematic and everything froze. YAY

Trying hell now, weee!

The 4th level down worked alright.

border

Yeah, if you watch the special co-op movie that they produced you will probably notice that the player kills his partner before they hit the end-boss cinema sequence.....obviously they know that cinemas will crash the game.

I guess the mod still has a ways to go, but it's pretty impressive that it's up and running just a few days after the game was released.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Here is another mod, this time it's one for self-shadowing.

"Oneofthe8devilz " said:
Ultra-Extreme-Quality-MOD (U-E-Q-MOD)
=====================================
This graphic-mod squeezes the absolute maximum out of Doom³
by enabling self-shadowing to all characters and monsters.
Experience Doom³ the way it was ment to be played and enjoy
Film-Quality graphics.

Features:
=========
- Enables self-shadowing for all doom³ characters and monsters
- Fixed playershadows on weapons in first person
(when g_showplayershadow "1")

http://doom3.planet-multiplayer.de/download.php?view.68

ueq-mod.jpg

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
More bug-fixing game enhancements for you!

AstroCat said:
Ok, a little more info...the 4 footsteps that your player uses are:

player_elevator_sounds_footstep

sound/ed/player/steps/step01.wav
sound/ed/player/steps/step02.wav
sound/ed/player/steps/step03.wav
sound/ed/player/steps/step10.wav

player_sounds_footstep

sound/ed/player/steps/step01.wav
sound/ed/player/steps/step02.wav
sound/ed/player/steps/step03.wav
sound/ed/player/steps/step10.wav

Thus when seta s_maxSoundsPerShader "0" is set to: 1,2,3 you don't get to step10, but at 0 or 4 you do.
step 10 is the offending file.

But you do need 4 different footsteps to sound like walking and not tripping. :)

I took step13.ogg and copied it to step10.ogg

Both step06 and step12 are not in the pak003.pk4 so it's probably best just to leave them out.

To extract from the pak003.pk4 file highlight the files you want to extract and then drag them to a temp directory.
You should get the whole path in your temp.
Now play with the files to your liking.
Then drag the whole path back in to the .zip file opened in winzip.

\sound\ed\player\steps

Your new files will be in the \steps dir at the end of the path.

Hope this helps!

ChrisReid

Belfast said:
One question:: Will the game even *let* you run in Ultra Quality? I tried it and the game ran just as well as it did in High Quality. I'm just wondering if it automatically kicks you into High Quality if you don't have a 512MB graphics card (which nobody does....). I didn't notice much difference in the graphics anyway, so despite it saying Ultra Quality in the options, I feel it was still running in High.

Some impressions: This is Doom. Despite the attempts from media publications to say otherwise, this isn't a survival horror FPS. Ammo, armor, and medkits are always around the corner. Enemies often take one or two hits to bring down (from the shotgun anyway), and at times, there *can* be many of them. There are small corridors and hidden rooms where enemies can pop out or you can find ammo all the time. If like the game a lot, but a caveat: if you wanted Doom with modern graphics and better, overall atmosphere, this is your game. If you want Resident Evil/Silent Hill the FPS, this is not.

No, it's not.. but it's a lot different from the original Doom to me. I used to say Serious Sam is a "Doom Style" FPS. And now Doom 3 couldn't be a more different FPS from Serious Sam. It's the scariest game I've played in a long time, and there's a lot more to do than blow monsters up. I spend more time creeping around with the flashlight just waiting for a dimly lit office with a door for me to take a breather in.

Anyhow, I'm running on Ultra since I unzipped the .pk4s. Before that I would get about 10 fps in 1024xUltra.. Now I'm getting almost 30. I've got a Geforce FX 5600 with 256 megs on it. The quarter gig of video memory is probably a help.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
TekunoRobby said:
Here is another mod, this time it's one for self-shadowing.

ueq-mod.jpg

I just tried this...

It actually had NO effect on performance at all. My timedemos were EXACTLY the same as before (still getting 47.6 fps on Demo1). It does look really cool, though. The old E3 demo that id showed actually featured self-shadowing, so I do find it odd that they disabled it before release.

-=DoAvl=-

I've found that by making the image_cacheMegs about 128 or 96 is the best. Setting it any higher seems to make it go slower, or thrash more. (I've got 1gig btw)

That ueq mod is pretty cool. Slows down a little for me though.

Oh, and high quality doesn't seem to work well for me as well, the lighting is all wrong for some reason. Ah wellz. Hopefully someone will come up with a doom3 optimizer that automatically sets all the configurations correctly based on your system, now wouldn't that be cool! (I know they have one ingame, but sif that works well...)

Belfast

That Tom Chick thing was pretty annoying. WTF, did he bring along a tape recorder every time he was talking with his friend? Anyway, I'm sure it was somewhat exaggerated. Plus, I do find it pretty hard to believe that he wasn't aware of any of the enemy or area names. Even if you totally hate the game, it should be pretty obvious. And if you've played Doom before, you should know the names of the enemies by now.

Yeah, there's a lot about the game some people won't like. As I've said before, its Doom. Its 1994 Doom. Doom. Doom. Doom. It is not a forward-thinking FPS, but it is built very nicely. I just finished it up, it wasn't that hard, the areas were somewhat repetitive, etc., etc. but I still enjoyed it. Go figure. Its not a bad thing to like the game, but it isn't the end-all, be-all.

Edit:
I admit, though, the ending, like in most FPS games, is kind of disappointing. I'm going through the entire game wondering why I haven't seen a Cyberdemon yet and seeing as how I was so far in, it eventually dawned on me that they'd throw it at me as the final boss. It wasn't even hard. They give you max ammo for just about every weapon in the game, and all you have to do is kill enough imps and whatever those things with two heads are to fill up and use your soulcube 4 or 5 times. You can effectively run around the huge, circular portal and never get hit by the Cyberdemon. All I used was my plasma gun to kill the grunts. Why give the player so much ammo unless they're brain-dead and unload it all into the Cyberdemon? I mean you don't even get to fight Betruger at the end. He's just some weird winged hell-demon who will set up the apparently inevitable Doom 4. :p

siege

Banned
Pretty cool thing in Multiplayer I just discovered. When you punch someone, you can steal their weapon. Kinda fun coming out of a dark corner behind someone and ganking their shotgun to turn around and use it on them.

Actually, I agree with Tom: Doom 3 is fucking tedious. It's amateurish game design, although the visuals are just sick. I didn't dig Painkiller much, either, but I'd rather play it than Doom 3.

Painkiller is Doom. Doom 3 is the shitty parts of Half-Life (teleporting monsters, predictable surprises, meandering level design).

border

Haha....the Tom Chick story about the trip to Best Buy was pretty funny. It sorta made me cringe like an episode of The Office. Of course he's not able to remember conversations with a friend verbatim, but a decent journalist should be able to recount things accurately more-or-less. Of course there's the chance that it's partially or completely fabricated, and in there just to demonstrate a point about the game's appeal and the different attitudes people might take towards this sort of project. One guy wants to keep track of all the proper names and terminology because it makes the project more engaging, and the other one doesn't really care and is looking for inspired gameplay.

The Tom Chick "character" probably can't remember names and locations because they're so totally nondescript and interchangeable. Are you really going to know all this stuff a month from now? I finished the game less than 48 hours ago and I already don't know what the fuck people are talking about when they say "I'm in Alpha Lab 2". Probably because Alpha Lab 2 looks and feels exactly like Alpha Lab 1 or Delta Lab 3 or any other area in the game. I'm already a bit hazy on character names.....I can remember Bertruger, but I doubt that I could tell you which UAC guy is which. To me they are just "the sargeant" and "the bald guy with Matrix glasses".
"It's called atmosphere."

"No. That stuff only qualifies as atmosphere in a game where back story is important. A game like, you know, System Shock. Otherwise, it's filler. In Doom 3, it's just another example of these guys at id aping what they've seen in other better games because they're lousy game designers."
Ouch....burned =P

It is a little weird that Doom 3 tries to imitate Half-Life for about 20 minutes, then completely gives up...
He says something about a 'cash-ay' of weapons. I think they meant it as a joke, like he's this really smart scientist, but he can't pronounce the word
I noticed that too and was like "Huh?" If it's a joke, they played it really straight. I'm tempted to think that the people at id actually don't know how to pronounce the word "cache", though..

Malakhov

Banned
Man does this game OWNS, it's pure doom at its finest.

I think I'm stuck in the labs lvl 4, I think I need to restart that level but I'm not sure.

border: the first-person narrator "can't remember the names" because Tom is using him to make a joke about how generally meaningless it is to display the names on screen in a game with such shitty level design -- it's not like they really mean anything, given that the "levels" have no grounded sense of architecture or design. The levels aren't memorable, period, and naming them is the equivalent of a kid drawing a stick figure and then writing "DAD" with an arrow pointing to it.

IJoel

Doom 3 is rocking, but I feel somewhat disappointed since it hasn't really scared me.

Anyway, I love seeing other people's pics. Here are a few:

d3-1.jpg

d3-3.jpg

d3-4.jpg

d3-5.jpg

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
I'm presently using the 4.9 beta drivers ATI released on my 9800 Pro, which gave me a significant boost in performance. I'm talking +20FPS in timedemos. I was previously using the latest hacked Omega Catalyst drivers. I have noticed a bit of white polygon seems showing now and then, nothing major, and occasionally it looks like railings aren't casting their shadows properly (they sort of halo around the rail), although I don't know if this is being caused by the drivers. This game is really sensitive to overclocking my videocard, as I've been able to run several games with my 9800 Pro cranked to a little above XT speeds, and yet I've seen some small artifacting when I have the card set to just XT speeds. I think I'll switch my Artic Cooler fan to high and see how much I can squeeze out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom