• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

avaya

Well I was wrong and I was glad I was wrong.

Vettel was the only person deserving of the championship, he has had so many mechanical DNF's not of his making.

So happy Ferrari didn't win shit because I despise what Luca has done to this team since 2007. Fuck you Luca.

Also with Renault, with Love, Fernando. Such a cock.

Mercedes should have a big jump over everyone with mandatory KERs next year.

I don't have the enmity towards Alonso that so many fans do, but mostly because I'm indifferent to his attitude. He's fantastically fast and competitive, great things for an F1 driver. They all have their personality weirdness.

But christ, Alonso can fuck off with the not-too-subtle sense of entitlement. Petrov out-raced him. The same guy that seemingly crashed out of every practice and was outdriven mightily by his teammate warded off Alonso. Imagine the pressure on Petrov for all those laps. Petrov did awesome, if only a little too late to preserve his seat. Still, bully for him.

Hulkenburg leaving Williams could have a silver lining as that team is still in decline. Who knows, Lotus (or whatever we'll be calling them next year) could be nipping at their heels given the Renault hardware. Gaining Maldonado's money is like a pyrrhic victory; sure, they'll be better off financially but with a driver who seems unlikely to be more than middle of the pack.

It's difficult to call next year of course but I think Kubica is the one to watch for next season. He made the Renault look better (much better) than it was for most of the season. If he can get a better car or move to a stronger team...oh my!

What an awesome season. Still smiling.

Dilly said:
HRT is actually ranked above Virgin in the standings. :lol :lol
Oh god. I'm not one to hate on backmarkers, but in the case of HRT, I wish they'd fall off a cliff. The way they've treated Senna, Klien, Yamamoto, and especially Chandhok, has been reprehensible. Sure, pay-to-drive kept them on the grid but at the cost of any respectability. They haven't developed the car since...forever. Maybe with the return of the 107% qualifying rule next season they'll decide to stay home?

S. L.

wonderkins said:
Oh god. I'm not one to hate on backmarkers, but in the case of HRT, I wish they'd fall off a cliff. The way they've treated Senna, Klien, Yamamoto, and especially Chandhok, has been reprehensible. Sure, pay-to-drive kept them on the grid but at the cost of any respectability. They haven't developed the car since...forever. Maybe with the return of the 107% qualifying rule next season they'll decide to stay home?
they are easily withing the 107%

S. L.

The last race and Vettels WDC title also brings our fantasy league to an conclusion.

The final ranking is as follows:

total1.jpg

Also our subleage did win the subleage competition which means HATS!

haturdayvi3k.png

Good job everyone!
HATURDAY CELEBRATION PARTY TIME!

scarybore

Deadman said:
H
A
T

We won.

:lol Congratulations to all who recieve one.

Really enjoyed the fantasy league, first time I've ever bothered doing one. I finished in 12th which I think is pretty damn good considering I was 49th after the first race.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
It was a great season and the fastest driver of the year won the championship. I'm still an Alonso fan but Ferrari screwed up on the strategy and Alonso wasn't fast enough to pass Petrov so he didn't deserve it.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
FINAL STANDINGS
DRIVERS
1 Sebastian Vettel 256
2 Fernando Alonso 252
3 Mark Webber 242
4 Lewis Hamilton 240
5 Jenson Button 214
6 Felipe Massa 144
7 Nico Rosberg 142
8 Robert Kubica 136
9 Michael Schumacher 72
10 Rubens Barrichello 47
11 Adrian Sutil 47
12 Kamui Kobayashi 32
13 Vitaly Petrov 27
14 Nico Hülkenberg 22
15 Vitantonio Liuzzi 21
16 Sébastien Buemi 8
17 Pedro de la Rosa 6
18 Nick Heidfeld 6
19 Jaime Alguersuari 5

CONSTRUCTORS
1 Red Bull/Renault 498
2 McLaren/Mercedes 454
3 Ferrari 396
4 Mercedes 214
5 Renault 163
6 Williams/Cosworth 69
7 Force India/Mercedes 68
8 BMW Sauber/Ferrari 44
9 Toro Rosso/Ferrari 13

megateto

SCHUEY F1 said:
It was a great season and the fastest driver of the year won the championship. I'm still an Alonso fan but Ferrari screwed up on the strategy and Alonso wasn't fast enough to pass Petrov so he didn't deserve it.

And his car wasn't the fastest either XD.

Congrats to Vettel.

Awful race strategy at Ferrari. Went back to mid season form with that call.

Went for the Webber bait and trying not to lose instead of just doing their own thing and going for the highest finish.

Damn Renaults were killing it on the straights. Even Hamilton wasn't able to get by Kubica on track.

Merc and Ferrari should be good on KERS next season.

Shaneus

Well, REALLY surprised with the results (just woke up) but after this year, not surprised with who won the WDC. Vettel is a gun driver, just a shame it came at the cost of such shithouse team politics. RBR can die in a fire, but full congrats to him.

As much as I wanted Webber to win, he really did seem to choke at the pressure, didn't he? Finished 8th or something?

Regardless of the championship significance, was Abu Dhabi a good GP overall?

Shaneus said:
Well, REALLY surprised with the results (just woke up) but after this year, not surprised with who won the WDC. Vettel is a gun driver, just a shame it came at the cost of such shithouse team politics. RBR can die in a fire, but full congrats to him.

As much as I wanted Webber to win, he really did seem to choke at the pressure, didn't he? Finished 8th or something?

Awful race.

Billiard board smooth track means some of the teams with not so good cars are a bit more on pace. Track is like long straights and then 90 degree corners like Singapore, no flow at all and something only Tilke could think of while bathing in his own shit. Some passing at the start. Some drafting and pass attempts with a few succeeding but most of the passing were done in the pits.

S. L.

Shaneus said:
when you disregard the implications on the championship you could call it a boring uneventful race.
but eh, it was hella exciting with an awesome outcome :D

itxaka

Defeatist
Kobayashi has been really good since mid season. Any reason for it? Some of his races are pretty awesome and if I understand correctly his car is nothing compared to the "top tier"

I would like to see him in a good car, the guy had done some awesome overtakes, really aggressive driving.

S. L.

itxaka said:
Kobayashi has been really good since mid season. Any reason for it? Some of his races are pretty awesome and if I understand correctly his car is nothing compared to the "top tier"

I would like to see him in a good car, the guy had done some awesome overtakes, really aggressive driving.
Kobayashi was pretty good all season, but the Sauber was utter dogshit for the first half of the season with the reliability of a Virgin

Leunam

Their reliability issues were sorted out for the most part after the first half of the season. On top of that, Kobayashi brakes really late compared to other drivers.

Shaneus said:

Awful race if you disregard the championship, it is so hard to overtake at Abu Dhabi. There is one wasted section after the hairpin where they have put in a chicane which just kills any overtaking opportunities and the midfield teams can compromise their setup and put on more top speed to defend on the straights.

The actual venue is nice to look at but Interlagos is a much better place for the last race. $1 billion and it is nowhere near the quality of Spa, Interlagos, Monza etc.

Shaneus

Ah, that sucks. Tilke really is a bigger prick than Alonso :lol

So, in summary: Congrats Vettel, fuck RBR (Horner and Newey mostly) and :( for Webber. Maybe next year the two drivers will be able to work together rather than Webber being a glorified test driver.

Oh, and fuck Tilke. Is there no-one else designing tracks now? Maybe my 2 year-old nephew could have a crack :lol

Dilly

Banned
Tilke's mindset is lame.

Sector 1:lstraights with hairpins so everyone can overtake!
Sector 2: very slow sector, so every F1 driver can go back to their childhood and feel nostalgic about the karttracks they drove on.
Sector 3: MOAR STRAIGHTS

DrM

Redmond's Baby
ExtraKr1spy said:
Turkey is about the only Tilke track that 's decent.
Even blind chicken can sometimes find seed on the ground :lol

Track in India looks very similar to Abu Dhabi :\

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Leunam said:
I remember hearing a few months back about another design firm but I don't remember their name.

There is virtually no chance of the FIA giving anyone a track that isn't designed by Tilke. That is essentially why Austin got the race. They paid the fee and they agreed to a Tilke designed course.

That said we seem to have gotten lucky (like Turkey) in that he had Hilly terrain to work with and seems to have mostly given us a fast track.

The bad Tilke tracks all seem to have the "extremely flat, in several cases man made land" thing going.

Shaneus

Did I just hear Vettel say (on a soundbyte) that "We had only lead this championship once and that was when it mattered"? If so, fuck him. Webber was in front for fucking ages, you cunt.

I may have misheard, but sure I didn't.

StoOgE said:
The bad Tilke tracks all seem to have the "extremely flat, in several cases man made land" thing going.
The bad Tilke tracks all seem to have the "designed by Hermann Tilke" thing going :lol

Deadman

Tilke established Tilke Engineering in 1984, combining skills in architecture, civil engineering and electronic engineering to provide complete solutions for motor racing and waste disposal projects.

I cant help feeling that all his designs have just been a terrible admin mix up.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Shaneus said:
Did I just hear Vettel say (on a soundbyte) that "We had only lead this championship once and that was when it mattered"? If so, fuck him. Webber was in front for fucking ages, you cunt.

Eh, I'm not his biggest fan but really?

The team championship is the constructors. The individual title is the WDC which he didn't lead until today.

Deadman said:
I cant help feel that all his designs have just been a terrible admin mix up.

:lol

S. L.

Shaneus said:

Mark Webber - 8th: "It was a big day and we had the chance to do something incredibly unique, but in the end it didn't turn out for us. Earlier in the race we knew we had to roll the dice and go for it with the strategy, but it left us exposed and Fernando (Alonso) covered us. ...

they both refer to their subteams as "we"

Jinjo

Shaneus said:
Ah, that sucks. Tilke really is a bigger prick than Alonso :lol

So, in summary: Congrats Vettel, fuck RBR (Horner and Newey mostly) and :( for Webber. Maybe next year the two drivers will be able to work together rather than Webber being a glorified test driver.

Oh, and fuck Tilke. Is there no-one else designing tracks now? Maybe my 2 year-old nephew could have a crack :lol

I'm sorry, but what the hell did Horner and Newey do? If I remember correctly in the Turkey controverse aftermath it was mostly Helmut Marko and Dieter Mateschitz that were spouting their nonsense. And Mateschitz also was the one talking about not enforcing team-orders. And in the end, even though I hate to admit it, he was fucking right. If they had relied on Webber they would've never got the title and I can tell you, I wanted Webber to fucking take it. I was highly sceptical of their move in Brazil, but it got them the WDC.

Horner is imho one of the most like-able team principals. His trademark footshaking was epic today. :lol And Newey is a fucking legend for the cars that he designs. They would be nowhere without him.

Webber was just as big of a baby as Vettel when it came to their relationship. To say they didn't work together is ridiculous as they are a team and they always shared information concerning set-ups, telemetry data etc.

S. L.

Jinjo said:
I'm sorry, but what the hell did Horner and Newey do? If I remember correctly in the Turkey controverse aftermath it was mostly Helmut Marko and Dieter Mateschitz that were spouting their nonsense. And Mateschitz also was the one talking about not enforcing team-orders. And in the end, even though I hate to admit it, he was fucking right. If they had relied on Webber they would've never got the title and I can tell you, I wanted Webber to fucking take it. I was highly sceptical of their move in Brazil, but it got them the WDC.

Horner is imho one of the most like-able team principals. His trademark footshaking was epic today. :lol And Newey is a fucking legend for the cars that he designs. They would be nowhere without him.

Webber was just as big of a baby as Vettel when it came to their relationship. To say they didn't work together is ridiculous as they are a team and they always shared information concerning set-ups, telemetry data etc.
Newey supposedly is a Vettel fanboy, as for Horner no idea.

Animal

Banned
S. L. said:

Vettel is apparently very interested in the technical details of the car and has put significant effort in understanding his car. I'm not surprised at all if Newey is a Vettel fanboy but it's rightly deserved.

Arcticfox

S. L. said:
maybe if everyone can post their league name i can edit the GAF names in the list. just for fun and kicks
I am Lone Wolf Racing. It was hard to stay on the top 10 the last few weeks.

While I was rooting for Webber, he just did not have the pace in the last half of the season. Congrats to Vettel.

KAP151

Can't say that I'm anything but dissapointed. Really thought (hoped) that this would be Mark's year. Not a fan of Vettel, but as long as Alonso didn't win, I don't really mind.

Next year Webber, go get 'em!

DieH@rd

Banned
S. L. said:
The last race and Vettels WDC title also brings our fantasy league to an conclusion.

The final ranking is as follows:

total1.jpg

Also our subleage did win the subleage competition which means HATS!

haturdayvi3k.png

Good job everyone!
HATURDAY CELEBRATION PARTY TIME!

Excelent job everyone, we really dominated this season. In overall standings i finished 101st! :D

I live in serbia, so i reckon that site will not want to pay shipment cost for me. Somene else can grab my hat. 2nd place in GAF subleague is enough of a prize for me. :D

Deadman

Thought id calculate the standings using the old scoring, just to see if anything would be different.

Todays rules:

1 Sebastian Vettel 256
2 Fernando Alonso 252
3 Mark Webber 242
4 Lewis Hamilton 240

2003-2009 "10 8 6 5 4 3 2 1" system

1 vettel 104
2 alonso 100
3 hamilton 100
4 webber 97

91-02 "10 6 4 3 2 1" system

1 vettel 84
2 alonso 81
3 webber 76
4 hamilton 76

S. L. said:

It is Helmut Marko that has played the biggest part in making Vettel favoured. Vettel is his driver, he brought him up through the young driver's programme at Red Bull and he was the most vocal in his defence of Vettel after Turkey.

S. L.

whole press conference transcript is online now.
it's a good read
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88294

DieH@rd said:
I live in serbia, so i reckon that site will not want to pay shipment cost for me. Somene else can grab my hat. 2nd place in GAF subleague is enough of a prize for me. :D
I wonder... i'd think most contenders are from all over the world (Germany here) plus shipping a hat can't be THAT expensive

Deadman said:
Thought id calculate the standings using the old scoring, just to see if anything would be different.
*snip*
so, lots of drama over nothing eh?

Deadman

S. L. said:
so, lots of drama over nothing eh?

Not only that but the result would be completely identical if we used bernies gold medal idea which everyone (including me) thought was insane. Vettel would win on more 4th places though, a slightly sad way to win a championship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom