• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Genso Suikoden V thread

Shouta

Tabris said:
I'm sorry, but that spot is already taken by me.

I may even be a bigger fan of Suikoden than Himuro, just less vocal :)

Everyone's less vocal than Himuro. Himuro is like Jesse Jackson without the idiot and louder.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
but what if Famitsu was wrong and this game sucks? I mean they gave Nintendogs 40/40 I can't really trust them I'll await bebpo or someone else impressions before getting hyped for this only to be disappointed by the game at the end.

Bebpo

Banned
Error2k4 said:
but what if Famitsu was wrong and this game sucks? I mean they gave Nintendogs 40/40 I can't really trust them I'll await bebpo or someone else impressions before getting hyped for this only to be disappointed by the game at the end.

Huh, Famitsu basically just gave it the same marks as Suikoden 1-4 and every other rpg in existence. It's not like they gave it some great score. If you didn't notice the other 3 rpgs coming out next week all scored higher :p

Bebpo

Banned
31/40 Suikoden III
30/40 Suikoden IV
32/40 Suikoden V

So basically two of the reviewers thought all three games were the same quality, one thought IV was worse than III while the other three thought it was the same and two think V is better than 4.

In other news

Baten Kaitos 31/40
Xenosaga ep1 33/40
Xenosaga ep3 33/40
Tales of Destiny 2 33/40
Tales of Rebirth 32/40
Radiata Stories 36/40
Dark Cloud 2 35/40
Tales of Symphonia 35/40

etc...

So as you can see most rpgs basically get 30-34 and even Suikoden V's score being the best Suikoden score is still lower than the majority of rpg scores.

Bebpo

Banned
Himuro said:
Who cares? Famitsu is full of money hats anywho.

Agreed. I don't take any of their reviews seriously unless a game scores a 35+ (which usually does mean it's a good game) or a 28 and below (which shmups aside usually does mean it's a pretty bad game).

Vashu

Holy fuck Himuro! That artwork is A-W-E-Some! Georg ftw! Guess what my new avatar is gonna be?! :D

Thanks, and thanks for all the info. I'll have to wait till fall, decided I'll be supporting the European release of the game this time, but this thread sure is making it hard. :)

I recently heard the name "Georg" said aloud on TV, not sure where, possibly on Rick Steves Europe, but it surprised me that it is pronounced "Gay-org"

Snaku

Banned
Himuro said:
suiko51.jpg

Hot!

Bebpo

Banned
Nice (though I still don't like that particular art piece for the cover mainly because of the flying purple chick). Do you have a pic of the JPN back to compare?

Also need more countdown pics :p

Fongul

Well I bit the bullet and preordered the game at Gamecrazy this week (Gamecrazy >>>> Gamestop/EB etc) The preorder bonus is a little different though, with an art cell being promised instead of the artbook/soundtrack combination. Knowing Konami, the OST will just be a sampler CD instead of the full OST, so I will gladly collect my art cell instead...

Maybe I should preorder the game at EB and then transfer my preorder to KH II after I collect my preorder goodies??? Hmmmmmm

Fongul said:
Well I bit the bullet and preordered the game at Gamecrazy this week (Gamecrazy >>>> Gamestop/EB etc) The preorder bonus is a little different though, with an art cell being promised instead of the artbook/soundtrack combination. Knowing Konami, the OST will just be a sampler CD instead of the full OST, so I will gladly collect my art cell instead...

Maybe I should preorder the game at EB and then transfer my preorder to KH II after I collect my preorder goodies??? Hmmmmmm

Is this offer at EB/GS instore only? I don't see it on the website.

MrDaravon

Yossarian said:
Could someone elaborate on these preorder bonuses?

No one seems to know. Nothing online yet at EB/GS, all this is coming from an EB flyer that says Preorder and get a free "artbook and soundtrack" or something to that extent, and that's it.

i get the game tomorrow, but can't play till friday, cause my gf took my ps2 for kingdom hearts. but this weekend, motherfucker, its ON.

Bebpo

Banned
Reading the Japanese boards it sounds troubling if not ;_;

They're talking about how if you thought the boat with random encounters was annoying you will be very upset about the looooong load time transitions into battle and loooading back to the world map after battle. Plus it sounds like the battles run very slow. Suikoden II at 1/4th the speed is what's written. "Slow motion battles" others are commenting :(. Sounds like outside of loading/battle the game is fine besides frequent loading into any area bigger than a small room and it sounds like the Suikoden IV cutscene -> loading screen -> cutscene -> loading screen -> is back.

It seems to me from reading the comments that the problem with Suikoden these days isn't the head people in charge. SV sounds like a great attempt at going back to Suikoden II style in 3d. So basically on paper the designers are all doing a good job. It just sounds like, similar to Suikoden III and IV, Konami has the worst programmers on the planet assigned to these games and thus tons of loading everywhere that kills any game pacing/flow. I get the feeling that Konami gives them the lowest budgets on the planet :(

I should get mine tomorrow maybe, but I hope this game doesn't suck. If it's worse than Suikoden III & IV I'm giving up my Suikoden jacket and crying in the corner.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I think the most important quest is, CAN YOU UPGRADE EVERYONE'S WEAPONS AND BUY ARMOR FOR THEM WITHOUT HAVING TO SWITCH YOUR PARTY?
GRAH that was beyond frustrating in Suiko 4. Which, I have to admit once I got Viki and was able to teleport around, I found the game a lot less frustrating.
Himuro, I'm not even gonna look at your post once I saw the NSFW bit, but c'mon, some of us do post from work.

Bebpo

Banned
Himuro said:
I think that was by far one of the smallest complaints in regards to Suikoden IV. In fact, I don't even recall that feature in any Suikoden.

You could do it in Tactics.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Himuro said:
I think that was by far one of the smallest complaints in regards to Suikoden IV. In fact, I don't even recall that feature in any Suikoden.
????? It's in 1-3, and lacking it is one of the biggest flaws in Suiko 4. Gives you almost no ambition to use other characters, and even makes using the ship parties 1 and 2 a waste. There was no way I was going to go swap people around to see if the armor bonuses in the shop were worth it or not

It's the Queen and baby Prince getting breast fed with Ferid and Sialeeds in the background.

Like I said, I didn't look, but I'm still scarred from when Ferrio showed off some Suiko 3 hentai in IRC.

Bebpo

Banned
Himuro if, perchance, Suikoden V is bad...will you be able to say ok and accept that? Or will you be like the BKII guy in the other thread who won't listen to a single negative comment on the game and only pick up on the few positives?

I will accept if it's a good game. I mean I just spent $70+ on it so I'd like it to be worth the money. Can you do the same?

RevenantKioku

Actually now that I think about it, I'm not sure if weapon upgrading was do able, but there was the warehouse which let you manage people's equipment. And still, there was no reason for it to be lacking. The game gives you the option for 3 parties.

RevenantKioku

Himuro said:
There was storage but I never recalled being able to upgrade weapons and such from storage. Because..alas they're in storage, they're not equipped to anyone.
Weapons are never in storage. Or even items. :p C'mon, aren't you the super Suiko fanboy?
And unless I'm bat crazy, you could equip and unequip with the storage, and I'm PRETTY sure there was some armor/weapon amongst everyone in Suiko 3 cause there was a bug with it.

RevenantKioku

Still the failing point is that you could access every character with the storage, and can't do that with your Suiko 4 backpack. It made things mighty frustrating.
With as many characters as you have accss to, they menus could use a little streamlining.

RevenantKioku

Himuro said:
You could access every character in storage? I never recall that.

Yeah, you could pull all the equipment off people. Was nice for taking the armor off of stupid characters and throwing it onto ones you use. Heck, I may be halucinating but I thought you could even sell from storage too. I dunno, it's been over a year since I played Suiko 1/2/3 but Suiko 4 felt like a step back in almost all directions. Heck, Snowe was one of the worst characters ever. Even worse than Jowy.

Ranger X

I've looked at the first post and there's no details about the soundtrack.
Anybody having a clue? Do we get the usual orchestral soundtrack of some special flavor this time? I wish the soundtrack will be original. I wouldn't mind something medieval/Celtic like Suiko 1 and 2. Those 2 soundtracks owned my soul back then.

Essery

ehh, worse than Jowy?

Jowy was one of the things that made Suiko2 so good (of coruse were alot than just him)

But guess it is a matter of opinion...

RevenantKioku

Bebpo said:
They're talking about how if you thought the boat with random encounters was annoying you will be very upset about the looooong load time transitions into battle and loooading back to the world map after battle. Plus it sounds like the battles run very slow. Suikoden II at 1/4th the speed is what's written. "Slow motion battles" others are commenting :(

But hey, at least you won't do a 180 turn when you run into a wall on the world map, right?
:(

In Suikoden 2 and 3 (and possibly 1, I forget) you could not only manage the equipment of units not in the active party with the storehouse, but also sharpen weapons of anyone and attach runes to any unit while using the blacksmith and runemaster in your castle (I think you had to hit a button to pull up the full list).

Himuro said:

It's the Queen and baby Prince getting breast fed with Ferid and Sialeeds in the background.

Can't say I've ever seen any game art with breastfeeding before. I like the tender family relationship that it appears to be setting up, and I can't imagine that the queen is all that bad. Of course most of the main antagonists in the series have been pretty decent people deep down, usually doing what they think is best.

Himuro said:
I don't know about the weapon sharpening and runemaster thing, but yeah you could access everyone in the warehouse. Otherwise there would be no point.

In Suikoden 2, go to a shop in your town and hit Square or triangle (it says the button next to the word "list" or "party") and it opens up all of your stars instead of just you current party. You can do the same in 3, although I don't remember it in 1.

Himuro said:
Every antagonist in the Suikoden series follows their own ideals which are almost always realistic beliefs that can help for a connection between the player and "villain".

Yes, I just said that. Still, none have nursed the hero before, so if she is the true enemy, i suppose it will be particularly gut wrenching to fight her, more so than the stoic Teo McDohl.

Beavertown

Garbage
I didn't read the entire thread. But wouldn't the formation system for battle be pointless, unless the characters move around freely as in part 3? Otherwise it would just be cosmetic, wouldn't it?

Sorry. I suppose Graham Cray wasn't as noble and idealistic as some of the others, and Windy was pretty evil, but the theory about the true runes being evil is certainly interesting.

Beavertown said:
I didn't read the entire thread. But wouldn't the formation system for battle be pointless, unless the characters move around freely as in part 3? Otherwise it would just be cosmetic, wouldn't it?

Did you ever play Breath of Fire 2 or 3? The formations in 2 gave bonuses to certain characters and you would change them to protect units or give others more offense. In 3, they were similar, but focused more on giving your party bonuses in certain attributes, like speed. Furthermore, since characters in most Suikodens have attack ranges that determine when they can attack and where they can hit, that shoudl be affected by the bonuses as well.

Essery

Himuro said:
Where the hell did this come from? I'm confused.

Was to this, didn't agree with that, that was all...

RevenantKioku said:
Yeah, you could pull all the equipment off people. Was nice for taking the armor off of stupid characters and throwing it onto ones you use. Heck, I may be halucinating but I thought you could even sell from storage too. I dunno, it's been over a year since I played Suiko 1/2/3 but Suiko 4 felt like a step back in almost all directions. Heck, Snowe was one of the worst characters ever. Even worse than Jowy.

RevenantKioku

Essery said:
Was to this, didn't agree with that, that was all...
I'm sure most people feel just like you, but I just didn't care for Suiko 2's story. It was boring and predictable. Suiko 3's story is still my favorite.

Beavertown

Garbage
Did you ever play Breath of Fire 2 or 3? The formations in 2 gave bonuses to certain characters and you would change them to protect units or give others more offense. In 3, they were similar, but focused more on giving your party bonuses in certain attributes, like speed. Furthermore, since characters in most Suikodens have attack ranges that determine when they can attack and where they can hit, that shoudl be affected by the bonuses as well.

Yeah. I understand it now. Sounds like it will add some much needed depth to the system.

I3rand0

Wyzdom said:
I've looked at the first post and there's no details about the soundtrack.
Anybody having a clue? Do we get the usual orchestral soundtrack of some special flavor this time? I wish the soundtrack will be original. I wouldn't mind something medieval/Celtic like Suiko 1 and 2. Those 2 soundtracks owned my soul back then.

If you care:
Genso Suikoden IV Music Collection ~Another World~
Catalogue Number LC-1424
Release Date February 23, 2006
Publisher Konami Style
Composition Masahiko Kimura, Norikazu Miura, Michiru Yamane
Arrangement Yuji Yoshino
Price 3000 Yen

This features music from both Rhapsodia and Suikoden IV.

Here is the OST:
Genso Suikoden V Original Soundtrack
Catalogue Number GFCA-41~44
Release Date March 24, 2006
Publisher Konami Multi-Media
Composition Norikazu Miura
Price 3800 Yen

Already preordered both. Dissappointing that Higishino will not come back to take over compsing duites again but I liked Mirua's work a lot in Rhapsodia.

B.K.

I don't see why not being able to convert data is a problem. Honestly, no Suikoden since Suikoden II has really NEEDED convert data.

Top Bottom