• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official March 2008 NPD - There are no words. Almost $1B in SW sales

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Ariexv said:
Even then it doesn't matter

As of March 26, 2008, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas has sold 21.5 million units according to Take-Two Interactive

Wonderful. I cant wait for Nintendogs to pass it...

Avrum said:
Well you said something to the effect of:

Why should anyone be slapped for saying something like that? It having such a score doesn't exactly turn it into not being a game. It certainly can't still be the excuse from last year about there being Wiimote shortages as that hasn't been an issue for some time. Though I do have some idea as to why it "could" be, but then who takes something like that home without trying it and even then where is the suggestion that the game has no appeal? I mean, it was only a couple of years back that WiiSports wasn't given much cred. on its merits as a game and yet it has proven to be one of the biggest reasons to own a Wii.

There has to be something along the lines there.

free. efu, are, ee, ee.

Full
Reactive
Eyes
Entertainment

Sharp

Anyway, to reiterate, GTA IV will sell very well, but it will not sell 6 million in its first week in the US. You will lose your accidental ban bet.

Sharp said:
I did. I'm pretty sure you're using retailer preorders worldwide to predict first-week sales in the US. I will be very, very surprised if it sells six million in its first week in the US. I'm under no illusion that it won't sell ridiculously well, but you're being slightly too optimistic.

I'm using my intuition. I have no clue what retailer preorders are, but I know that GTA is one of those rare games that appeals to both core gamers and the uncultured masses. Halo 3 did 3.3 million in week one, so I'm confident that with a much larger user base, GTA4 can do even more.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
You guys fortunately never worked videogame retail. We had a lot of kids coming in buying multiple versions of Nintendogs. I won't say that everyone does it, but it is a big enough statistic to make for more than just noise on the charts.

and I thought we were talking about Next gen sales? The DS need not apply.

Christine

I don't think people double-dipped on Nintendogs in statistically significant amounts. If you want to set your sights on anything in that context, you'd want to bring up the Best Friends because it was bundled with DS units and Dalmatian just because it came out significantly later.

jman2050

Stop this argument already. The answer is Pokemon. It always was Pokemon. Why do people keep forgetting how huge Pokemon is? Is the biggest gaming-related property in the world so ingrained into our culture that no one actually notices it anymore? Cause that's the only logical explanation I can think of.

Innotech

Banned
MobiusPigeon said:
errr...60%??? hello? lets say take

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/562129.asp?q=truck

and

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/578892.asp?q=truck

both surely shitty titles that both rank better than wii play. i'm sure if MS bundled Kameo with a controller for $5 more and sony bundled Lair with a controller for $5 more those would appear on the charts every month to go along with new console buyers picking up extra controllers too.

:lol wtf? wii play is basically a free game! i'm sure if GTA4 was free it'd outsell wii play. come on.
so then why dont they?
If its so easy to do why havent they done it?

Sharp

dammitmattt said:
I'm using my intuition. I have no clue what retailer preorders are, but I know that GTA is one of those rare games that appeals to both core gamers and the uncultured masses. Halo 3 did 3.3 million in week one, so I'm confident that with a much larger user base, GTA4 can do even more.
San Andreas has done under 9 million in the US, total, for all platforms. It is the best-selling game in the US. You have proposed that GTA IV will sell three-fourths of that in one week. I am skeptical, especially since--as I said--retailer preorders worldwide were something like six million.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
AlteredBeast said:
You guys fortunately never worked videogame retail. We had a lot of kids coming in buying multiple versions of Nintendogs. I won't say that everyone does it, but it is a big enough statistic to make for more than just noise on the charts.

and I thought we were talking about Next gen sales? The DS need not apply.

Next gen wouldnt include 360 or PS3 either. And a sales is a sale, multiple copies or no

Sharp said:
Anyway, to reiterate, GTA IV will sell very well, but it will not sell 6 million in its first week in the US. You will lose your accidental ban bet.

how well have previous GTAS done? i think this is a whole new ballgame. IMO GTA marks the beginning of next gen. People werent waiting for gta on ps2. it just happened. this is THE game.

Innotech said:
so then why dont they?
If its so easy to do why havent they done it?

cuz no one but gaf is actually seriously counting it as software!!!! there'd be atleast 5 knock offs by now if it were.

HK-47 said:
Umm the versions are identical save for starting breeds

Isn't that why people buy them? If they want multiple breeds to play with that are on different carts, wouldn't they have to buy multiple copies? Forgive my ignorance...I'm not a Nintendogs expert.

MisterHero

jman2050 said:
Stop this argument already. The answer is Pokemon. It always was Pokemon. Why do people keep forgetting how huge Pokemon is? Is the biggest gaming-related property in the world so ingrained into our culture that no one actually notices it anymore? Cause that's the only logical explanation I can think of.
Not it's not.

ITSA MEEEEE MARIO

Sharp said:
I suspect the percentage of people that seriously buy multiple versions of Nintendogs is around the same number as those that buy multiple versions of Pokemon. Which is in any case irrelevant since the statistic at hand is number of copies sold. The Sims 1 most definitely sold 20 million on a single platform--the PC--not including expansion packs. That's what happens when you manage to find a way into the hearts of nongamers, and that's why Nintendogs is doing so well.

I worked at EB during the Pokemon craze. I sold multiple versions all of the time.

Christine

dammitmattt said:
Isn't that why people buy them? If they want multiple breeds to play with that are on different carts, wouldn't they have to buy multiple copies? Forgive my ignorance...I'm not a Nintendogs expert.

All versions of the game are identical. The only changes between them are what breeds you have unlocked to begin with on a new save.

Sharp

MobiusPigeon said:
how well have previous GTAS done? i think this is a whole new ballgame. IMO GTA marks the beginning of next gen. People werent waiting for gta on ps2. it just happened. this is THE game.
That's what I'm saying. They've done well but not even close to well enough to warrant 6 million in its first week, and that's on the 35+ million userbase PS2, which is more than the Wii, 360 and PS3 combined in the US right now. Y'all are crazy.

Sharp said:
San Andreas has done under 9 million in the US, total, for all platforms. It is the best-selling game in the US. You have proposed that GTA IV will sell three-fourths of that in one week. I am skeptical, especially since--as I said--retailer preorders worldwide were something like six million.

Dude, that's your 3rd or 4th post telling me that GTA4 won't sell 6 million in April. Chill :)

Avrum

MobiusPigeon said:
free. efu, are, ee, ee.

Full
Reactive
Eyes
Entertainment

Yeah, I know it comes with a free controller (yeah, I know what you're thinking, but despite that the game is sold as a game, not as an accessory) but according to you because the game rates low it shouldn't be considered as being sold as a game. I don't think that really matters... beyond conjecture anyway.

Sharp

dammitmattt said:
Dude, that's your 3rd or 4th post telling me that GTA4 won't sell 6 million in April. Chill :)
I have to provide some facts man, sometimes intuition just doesn't cut it. Oh, and those Okami sales are pretty surprising--I didn't realize it had even released in March.

MisterHero

TwinIonEngines said:
Search your feelings, Mario. You know it to be true.

Pika Pika!
Mario's still on top. His 2D DS outing is performing pretty well. ;)

*jumps off balcony in defiance*

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUGH

Sharp said:
That's what I'm saying. They've done well but not even close to well enough to warrant 6 million in its first week, and that's on the 35+ million userbase PS2, which is more than the Wii, 360 and PS3 combined in the US right now. Y'all are crazy.

if halo and cod can sell what they are selling, and GTA is VASTLY bigger than those...its gonna be big. I actually jumped back into TTWO stock for the next few week just because of this. I truly believe this will be the biggest game in a long time.

Avrum said:
Yeah, I know it comes with a free controller (yeah, I know what you're thinking, but despite that the game is sold as a game, not as an accessory) but according to you because the game rates low it shouldn't be considered as being sold as a game. I don't think that really matters... beyond conjecture anyway.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

W
T
F

ok the next time we see big mother truckers on the charts month after month i swear before brahma and allah that i will personally drive to your house and hand you $1000.

Sharp said:
I have to provide some facts man, sometimes intuition just doesn't cut it. Oh, and those Okami sales are pretty surprising--I didn't realize it had even released in March.

I'm well aware of the facts and I'm fairly decent at picking software sales. I'm probably overshooting it a bit with GTA4, but nothing surprises me anymore in this industry.

Sharp

MobiusPigeon said:
if halo and cod can sell what they are selling, and GTA is VASTLY bigger than those...its gonna be big. I actually jumped back into TTWO stock for the next few week just because of this. I truly believe this will be the biggest game in a long time.
Feel free to believe whatever you want to believe, just don't be disappointed when it doesn't end up with higher sales than all but maybe two or three other games have done, total, in its first week. Because you will be disappointed.

Innotech

Banned
MobiusPigeon said:

cuz no one but gaf is actually seriously counting it as software!!!! there'd be atleast 5 knock offs by now if it were.
I dont even own Wii Play. I bought 3 individual wiimotes and another nunchuk.
but the point there is, its a piece of software whether you count it or not. the package I bought didnt have the game and isnt nearly the same thing. But none of this really matters because Wii sfotware besides wii play sells and sells very well. a lot of third party software has gotten into the half a million range, and osme even higher. SOme are already million sellers. Who gives a shit about what Wii play does?

Mastperf

Sharp said:

What do you expect the poor guy to do? He accidentally bet someone and now he has no choice but to go down fighting.:lol

Avrum

MobiusPigeon said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol

W
T
F

ok the next time we see big mother truckers on the charts month after month i swear before brahma and allah that i will personally drive to your house and hand you $1000.

You're going to have to break things down a show me what's so funny. My point is that WiiPlay is a game whether or not you want to play the "it doesn't count" card like so many aspects of Wii software seem to fall under. Believe me, I don't consider it a "quality" game myself, but I'm not going around denying its merit as a game.

So yeah, how the hell did you pull out your mothatruckers comment from that?

Mastperf said:
What do you expect the poor guy to do? He accidentally bet someone and now he has no choice but to go down fighting.:lol

Read better. I never made a bet. I just said "bet on it."

However, I don't want my old tag so I'm not fighting the new one.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Wii Sports is the biggest system seller of this generation. To say it doesn't count and go "hurr, hurr, Minesweeper" is ridiculous, since people who buy PCs don't buy them to play Minesweeper. People who buy Wiis often buy them for Wii Sports.

And the cold, hard truth is that the gameplay of Wii Sports, though it lacks depth in some areas, offers something that you cannot get on the other two consoles, and something that apparently resonates with people (including so-called "non-gamers") like no game we've seen in a long long time. The reason Wii Sports is so successful is that it gets the fundamentals of its gameplay so RIGHT, that it doesn't really matter that the 5 sports included are just minigames instead of more complex full sports games on the Wii or other consoles.

I don't know why you guys are so confused at the Wii's success. For "casuals", Wii Sports and Wii Play and things of that sort are simple fun to have with your family and friends. (I would actually include Guitar Hero and Rock Band in the same "use the controller like the actual instrument/equipment" genre.)

The more "hardcore" fans, you have Zelda: Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, Mario Galaxy, Smash Brothers, Fire Emblem, and almost anything else Nintendo comes out with. You also have little pieces of niche awesomeness, like Zack & Wiki and No More Heroes and Geometry Wars Galaxies, and original and ported light gun games have a new home. Even the hated "LOL PS2 ports" have extremely solid games mixed in, like Okami and Bully and RE4. From what I hear, Pro Evolution Soccer is best on the Wii, doing really awesome things with the controls. Then there's upcoming stuff like Mario Kart, the Symphonia sequel and some fantastic-looking Wii Ware games.

Why is this so hard to understand?

Neo C.

Wow at the numbers, Pachter is better @Nintendo numbers than GAF! :(

Meh at the last 10 pages. :/

MS and Sony should drop their prices. Heavily. NOW!!!
Seriously, before this gen started, I thought we are going to see some insane price wars. It's one of the biggest dissappointement so far, that Nintendo is having really easy (too easy) because of the lack of counter attacks.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Not that you would know the parameters of a bet that you didn't intend to make, but are "April" sales going to include a few days that spill over into May or are you people arguing strictly about what it sells on the 29th and 30th? Six million copies in two days will not happen. Four million in the first week can happen if Halo 3 did 3.3 million but I don't know if an entire first week would get counted or when the "reporting period" ends.

before this gen started, I thought we are going to see some insane price wars. It's one of the biggest dissappointement so far

Definitely. PS3 launching at such a high price has allowed 360 to stay within $50 of it's launch price for nearly two and a half years which is kind of crazy considering PS2 went down by $100 after 18 months and was selling a lot more.

bj00rn

Banned
chespace said:
Wait for MGS4!

Or the Konami ID website!

Or the bittorrent of a patch of a beta that hasn't gone live yet! :p

So that's what that was... I downloaded the MGS4-thing, tried to play it, got a message saying I needed to download an update, tried to download update, nothing happened, I said "fuck this", deleted it and never looked back.

Mooreberg said:
Not that you would know the parameters of a bet that you didn't intend to make, but are "April" sales going to include a few days that spill over into May or are you people arguing strictly about what it sells on the 29th and 30th? Six million copies in two days will not happen. Four million in the first week can happen if Halo 3 did 3.3 million but I don't know if an entire first week would get counted or when the "reporting period" ends.

NPD works on weekly schedules, not monthly, so you'll get the sales for 4/29-5/3 for both Mario Kart Wii and GTA4.

Sharp

Rhindle said:
Not in the US. Among other things, Halo 3 didn't sell 5 million in its first week in the US, and the article is using that as a "first week" reference. Worldwide I think it's quite feasible that GTA IV will hit six million--but that's not actually what we were discussing.

Mastperf

dammitmattt said:
Read better. I never made a bet. I just said "bet on it."

However, I don't want my old tag so I'm not fighting the new one.

No offense meant. I should have wrote "said bet within ear shot of Bish."

Top Bottom