• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official March 2008 NPD - There are no words. Almost $1B in SW sales

Lobster

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
Guys debating Wii vs 360/Ps3 must be the same guys that like to debate ice cream flavors.

"Chocolate > strawberry, and it sells the most too, so there should be only chocolate."

"But i want more than chocolate. I actually like to mix Chocolate with strawberry flavor"

"Fuck you."

.... Seriously people. Give it a rest.

No..its more like everyone else gets sprinkles which everyone loves except for chocolate even though it sells the most.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
publishers will have no choice but to look at it as a real release platform for traditional gaming.

Fixed. Since the average person doesn't know exactly who makes what, the situation is never going to be what some people are hoping for. Developers that are owned by large publishers don't answer to stock holders, or games like GTA IV would never get delayed to begin with.

WrikaWrek

Banned
borghe said:
Nature? So the Wii is incapable of playing traditional styled games? This is an inane path of logic. If Wii had shipped with Mario Galaxy no one would be saying this. But instead it ships with Wii Sports and all the sudden the Wii is a casual only system that sees plenty of casual 3rd party releases. It is silly to expect hardcore games to be focused on the system. Yet when traditional casual games like Karaoke Revolution, Rock Band, Guitar Hero, DDR, etc go to PS360, well, because those systems get everything because they are traditional gaming systems.

This notion that hardcore games won't sell on the wii or that the wii isn't really set for that market is stupid, and perpetuated by 3rd party devs ignoring it for most titles except the most casual (or easiest to port from PS2).

As Wii continues to distance itself from the other two worldwide, and as it approaches, reaches, and then continues to pass the 360's NA total, devs will have no choice but to look at it as a real release platform for traditional gaming. There's no way they're going to be able to convince stock holders and publishers for the next 2+ years that it isn't worthwhile to be putting major development assets towards the largest install base in each individual territory by a large margin. if you can explain how it wouldn't be worthwhile, more power to you.

It's not worthwhile to spend a big budget on a big production for a Wii game, when people aren't buying the Wii for those games, and when you can achieve equal or greater success with game productions with average production values and average budget.

It defies common sense. It's all about market segmentation, it's not about if the Wii will have traditional games, which it will obviously, and it already has, it's about how far will you go with those traditional games really.

A game like MGS4 has no place on the Wii. I think that's the point, and it's true. But i don't see that as a bad thing, it just means it's different, and that's good for the HD and the Wii. If the consoles all did the same i doubt the Wii would be selling like it is now, remember last gen, Wii sells cus it's different, that's the whole point.

Sharp

Vagabundo said:
I'll consider it done and dusted when RR announce a GTA for the Wii. (I'm waiting for them to announce it for the PC, comeon guys)

It would be amazing to watch if your scenario unfolds as you say. There would be rivers of blood and gnashing of teeth.
I'd imagine the next PSP GTA (if there is one) will be ported to Wii. But anyone hoping for a next-gen GTA exclusive is silly. Take Two isn't going to bother with something like that when they can (A) still get incredible sales on the PS360, and (B) still get incredible sales with Carnival Games.

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
frankie_baby said:
the 360 version alone will be lucky to beat mario kart by much and that aint gonna do smash numbers

Uhhhhhh yes it will GTA is much much more popular than either of those games. I'll go out on a limb and say GTA will sell 4 million on it's first week.

I'm personally loving the way things are unfolding. A lot of 3rd parties will go out of business based on the notion that the wii is a fad that would die down soon.

norinrad21 said:
I'm personally loving the way things are unfolding. A lot of 3rd parties will go out of business based on the notion that the wii is a fad that would die down soon.

I'm sure the world will miss Midway and Infogrames/Atari.

Everyone else is making money hand over fist with the current status quo.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
WrikaWrek said:
Guys debating Wii vs 360/Ps3 must be the same guys that like to debate ice cream flavors.

"Chocolate > strawberry, and it sells the most too, so there should be only chocolate."

"But i want more than chocolate. I actually like to mix Chocolate with strawberry flavor"

"Fuck you."

.... Seriously people. Give it a rest.
But chocolate is > strawberry!

Unless it has big chunks of real strawberries in it...Then chocolate = strawberry.

Sharp

Anasui Kishibe said:
didn't they say something like 120k? must be some pages ago
That was a SimExchange estimate, which I suspected when I read it since I thought Okami didn't come out in the March reporting period. I was correct. So yeah, no sales information for that until next month at the earliest.

MidiSurf

Banned
Anasui Kishibe said:
didn't they say something like 120k? must be some pages ago

If that's true then Okami did all right (I guess). And it will probably sell even better in Europe, if it's not released same month as Brawl.

EDIT: Nevermind.

jmdajr

seeing how Nintendo is doing, I hope this far delays the successors of ps3 and the 360.
Offering new graphic horsepower is not as bankable as once thought.

Lobster

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
It's not worthwhile to spend a big budget on a big production for a Wii game, when people aren't buying the Wii for those games, and when you can achieve equal or greater success with game productions with average production values and average budget.

It defies common sense. It's all about market segmentation, it's not about if the Wii will have traditional games, which it will obviously, and it already has, it's about how far will you go with those traditional games really.

A game like MGS4 has no place on the Wii. I think that's the point, and it's true. But i don't see that as a bad thing, it just means it's different, and that's good for the HD and the Wii. If the consoles all did the same i doubt the Wii would be selling like it is now, remember last gen, Wii sells cus it's different, that's the whole point.

How do we know that?

WrikaWrek

Banned
jmdajr said:
seeing how Nintendo is doing, I hope this far delays the successors of ps3 and the 360.

I hope not. I'm not growing any younger, i want the cycle to remain consistent, i like seeing the next step in GFX.

Lobster said:
How do we know that?

If people wanted to play MGS4 they would be buying a PS3, if they wanted GEArs they would be buying a 360.

You don't buy a Wii and expect to be faced with something that is a technical marvel and pushes production values in games to the next step.

The most popular game on the Wii still is Wii sports.

pswii60

jmdajr said:
Xbox 720 to be two Xbox 360's taped together and bundled with MS WaggleWandTM and X-Clamp confirmed.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
WrikaWrek said:

this entire post is baseless conjecture. That's not meant to be rude, but a fact. 2.7M gamers bought SSBB, a very traditional game. almost 2M people have bought SMG, a very traditional game. You of course will certainly point out that they're Nintendo games, but I would counter with the fact that beyond Nintendo games, they are superbly made traditional titles.

A game like MGS4 has no place on the Wii.
A sillier statement could not have possibly been made. You give me your reason on why a MGS style game doesn't belong on Wii, and I'll tell you exactly why you are wrong, with examples and proof.

Lobster

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
If people wanted to play MGS4 they would be buying a PS3, if they wanted GEArs they would be buying a 360.

You don't buy a Wii and expect to be faced with something that is a technical marvel and pushes production values in games to the next step.

No fucking shit? and btw..you just posted something..totally irrelevant to the post I was referring to.

Right..its fucking packed in. How the fuck do you not expect EVERYONE to have it? How do you know its the most popular game on the Wii? My friend and I have been playing Fifa 08 a lot..I think its safe to assume that Fifa 08 on Wii is the most popular game on Wii.

borghe said:
A sillier statement could not have possibly been made. You give me your reason on why a MGS style game doesn't belong on Wii, and I'll tell you exactly why you are wrong, with examples and proof.

Here is the reason he gave me..

WrikaWrek said:

I don't even think he remembers his last post..

pollo

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Many thanks to NPD for their continued support. This is just getting ridiculous. Nintendo is doing historically insane numbers and 360 continues incredible SW sales. Even the PSP SW is joining in

Almost $1B in software in March is batshit insane.

people trying to forget there's a recession going on

Barrett2

pollo said:

Isn't the underwhelming 360 / PS3 console sales linked to the recession? I am assuming that far fewer people are buying HDTVs given the economic situation, and as a result the impetus to upgrade to HD gaming consoles isn't as strong.

WrikaWrek

Banned
When we see a game on the level of production scale that MGS4 and others have on the HD consoles, on the Wii, THEN i will admit that those games actually can be done well and work well on the Wii.

Until then, i'm right.

Mario Galaxy is Mario, it sells because it's mario. Sonic doesn't sell shit these days but Mario and Sonic has sold what? 4 million copies? And it's a crappy game.

SSB sells because it's a bunch of nintendo characters fighting each other. Traditional? Tell me when a fighter like tekken is made on the Wii and then sells like SSB. I don't remember seeing Soul Calibur 2 selling nearly as good as SS last gen, which had link and that was the big reason for the GC version to sell so well.

Seriously, you can tell me a lot of stories, but i can tell you that i think you will be hard pressed to find a developer thinking that it's a good idea to make this massive production on the Wii when the Wii doesn't have the tech ability to show off such a production and when the reason why people love the wii is because of games like Wii sports.

Now the difference between you and me i guess is that i don't think that's negative, i like my Wii, and i like my HD consoles, they offer me different experiences, and i understand why the Wii experience is winning.

I do think it's completely counter nature to think the Wii is the same as the others, it's not, it's disruptive tech and as such it should be faced as disruptive tech, you adapt to it, you don't try to do the same in it that you do in the others. That's missing the point.

Now you might get upset because maybe you are stuck just with a Wii, but i don't have that problem and "love" both the consoles for what they are.

pollo said:

Also gas prices are making entertaining yourself at home a lot cheaper than going out several nights a week.

lawblob said:
Isn't the underwhelming 360 / PS3 console sales linked to the recession? I am assuming that far fewer people are buying HDTVs given the economic situation, and as a result the impetus to upgrade to HD gaming consoles isn't as strong.

I don't think 360/PS3 sales aren't that underwhelming for a $350/$400 piece of hardware. It's march, not 4th quarter.

Wii is the anomaly here.

HDTV sales are actually pretty good right now. LCD tvs were one of circuit city's biggest moneymakers this quarter.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
WrikaWrek said:
When we see a game on the level of production scale that MGS4 and others have on the HD consoles, on the Wii, THEN i will admit that those games actually can be done well and work well on the Wii.

Until then, i'm right.

Mario Galaxy is Mario, it sells because it's mario. Sonic doesn't sell shit these days but Mario and Sonic has sold what? 4 million copies? And it's a crappy game.

SSB sells because it's a bunch of nintendo characters fighting each other. Traditional? Tell me when a fighter like tekken is made on the Wii and then sells like SSB. I don't remember seeing Soul Calibur 2 selling nearly as good as SS last gen, which had link and that was the big reason for the GC version to sell so well.

Seriously, you can tell me a lot of stories, but i can tell you that i think you will be hard pressed to find a developer thinking that it's a good idea to make this massive production on the Wii when the Wii doesn't have the tech ability to show off such a production and when the reason why people love the wii is because of games like Wii sports.

I think a high budget Resident Evil game, even if a spin off could do very very well based on RE4 and RE:UC sales.

WrikaWrek said:
And yet you think the companies making the least amount of money are the ones making the right decisions?

MisterHero

WrikaWrek said:

Until then, i'm right.

MGS4 sells because it's MGS?

Bulla564

Banned
borghe said:
this entire post is baseless conjecture. That's not meant to be rude, but a fact. 2.7M gamers bought SSBB, a very traditional game. almost 2M people have bought SMG, a very traditional game. You of course will certainly point out that they're Nintendo games, but I would counter with the fact that beyond Nintendo games, they are superbly made traditional titles.

Not only are those two Nintendo games, as you expected people to point out, but did you seriously expect the latest Mario platformer, and the Smash Bros for this gen to underperform? These two are NO indication as to what 3rd party devs can expect from the Wii userbase.

People like to throw this around, but in the minds of 3rd party devs, there is no evidence that neither gamers stopped caring for better graphics, nor that the PS2 owners have now moved on to Wii. HD games have proven to be financially viable, and devs will not abandon this any time soon.

A lot of games nowadays are all about presentation, and 3rd party devs will continue to use the best (or close to) technology available to achieve their vision. It doesn't hurt that this remains financially viable.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
WrikaWrek said:

Until then, i'm right.

Now the difference between you and me i guess is that i don't think that's negative, i like my Wii, and i like my HD consoles, they offer me different experiences, and i understand why the Wii experience is winning.

I do think it's completely counter nature to think the Wii is the same as the others, it's not, it's disruptive tech and as such it should be faced as disruptive tech, you adapt to it, you don't try to do the same in it that you do in the others. That's missing the point.

Now you might get upset because maybe you are stuck just with a Wii, but i don't have that problem and "love" both the consoles for what they are.

Don't worry to prove your point, because soon you will see the big franchises jumping to the Wii (MH was the first, DQ left PS and many will follow).
You will also see big franchises going down and new franchises taking the world by storm.
Just wait for E3.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Hollywood Duo said:
And yet you think the companies making the least amount of money are the ones making the right decisions?

Sorry i don't follow you.

schuelma said:
I think a high budget Resident Evil game, even if a spin off could do very very well based on RE4 and RE:UC sales.

They sold both a million or so right? Well they are gamecube games, big franchise, made history on the gamecube, was at lower price point.

I mean sure, but the thing is you can't make RES5 on the Wii, and when you buy the Wii you know you won't be playing something like Res5, that's what i'm saying. So i don't expect people to try and make Res5 on the Wii, i do expect people to try and make a Res for the Wii.

manueldelalas said:
Don't worry to prove your point, because soon you will see the big franchises jumping to the Wii (MH was the first, DQ left PS and many will follow).
You will also see big franchises going down and new franchises taking the world by storm.
Just wait for E3.

Sure. As always it gets dragged into wii fans thinking the wii is here to suck up the games from the others.

I don't see it like that at all. I'm sure DQ will be made for the Ps3 in the future, and MH too. They will be on Wii and Ds sure, but that doesn't mean it won't be on the PS3.

Epiphyte

Bulla564 said:
Not only are those two Nintendo games, as you expected people to point out, but did you seriously expect the latest Mario platformer, and the Smash Bros for this gen to underperform? These two are NO indication as to what 3rd party devs can expect from the Wii userbase.

People like to throw this around, but in the minds of 3rd party devs, there is no evidence that neither gamers stopped caring for better graphics, nor that the PS2 owners have now moved on to Wii. HD games have proven to be financially viable, and devs will not abandon this any time soon.

A lot of games nowadays are all about presentation, and 3rd party devs will continue to use the best (or close to) technology available to achieve their vision. It doesn't hurt that this remains financially viable.
It's viable, but as a game of russian roulette

If you get a hit, great, you make some tidy profit. But one failure and your studio is fucked.

besada

Banned
norinrad21 said:

Why would they go out of business when they're making money hand over fist on the PS3/360? The market has expanded. There's plenty of money outside the Wii to keep developers happy as pigs in shit.

Lobster

Banned
MisterHero said:
MGS4 sells because it's MGS?

Not this gen..

It probably won't even get over 500k in Japan..

Everybody's Golf which is bigger than MGS in Japan underperformed severely..doing about 350k iirc.

Bulla564 said:

Yeah but you see..its not financially viable unless you're backed by a big company..

Hear me out for a second..

Uncharted did over a 1 million WW but it took a while. It made a profit for sure but guess what? Umbrella Chronicles made WAY more of a profit even though they sold similar ammounts.

You honestly think that making a small profit on a next-gen console is worth it just because it looks awesome?

besada said:
Why would they go out of business when they're making money hand over fist on the PS3/360? The market has expanded. There's plenty of money outside the Wii to keep developers happy as pigs in shit.

Yeah and where the hell are those tiny developers going to go?

Suda51 would have not been holding a party for selling 100k if his game was on the 360 or Ps3..

WrikaWrek

Banned
Epiphyte said:
It's viable, but as a game of russian roulette

If you get a hit, great, you make some tidy profit. But one failure and your studio is fucked.

I don't see publishers complaining about sales on the 360/Ps3, sorry. They seem to be pretty happy.

And at the same time, they are also happy that the Wii is such a success and that there's already 3rd parties making good money on it.

Then it goes about creativity/devs wishes/publishers release schedules etc etc. Fox makes T.V shows, they also make movies, etc

So if your question is "but if x games sell the best, why not make just games like those" don't, think about what i said about fox.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
WrikaWrek said:
I don't see it like that at all. I'm sure DQ will be made for the Ps3 in the future, and MH too. They will be on Wii and Ds sure, but that doesn't mean it won't be on the PS3.

Sorry but DQ will never be on PS3. Many reasons for this;
First, besides DQ1, not a single DQ game has been ported to another console in the generation it is released (not even spinoffs).
Second the PS3 is failing bad in Japan (its under 9000!!!), and everyone knows that DQ sells the most in Japan.
Third SE hasn't made any announcement regarding a DQ game on PS3, not even a cameo. The only DQ games we've seen this gen are for Wii and DS.

At this point I find much more possible to see a port of DQ8 on Wii (and maybe PSP seeing it's momentum in Japan).

It's very possible that MH won't be on PS3; the main reason is that every console MH will get ported to the PSP, and porting from Wii to PSP is much easier; it's a money making game from Capcom, expect MH3 Portable months after the Wii release, but it would be foolish to expect MH PS3.

Sharp

Bulla564 said:

The top 100 list for 2007 (UK+US) actually suggests that a lot of PS2 owners are moving to the Wii. But not the crowd that bought the hardcore games so much as the crowd that bought all the shovelware that has always dominated most of the software catalogue of any successful system, and tends to dominate the more hardcore games as well. Third party devs are making a ton of games for the Wii already, which is something I don't think GAF sees because outside of the "Car Vault" humor potential GAFers are generally totally disinterested in, if not disgusted by, that kind of game. The split is just much more obvious this generation, with the PS360 getting barely any casuals and the Wii getting a ton, and the games for the most part reflect that.

That said, there's absolutely no reason why third parties couldn't be successful on the Wii. The Nintendo base, for example, is what I suspect is behind the sales of games like RE4:Wii, and obviously accounts for the fact that high-profile Nintendo games always chart predictably high. But it has a lot of other gamers as well. While I'm sure a substantial number are converted nongamers, a pretty high number are also kids. Kids are pretty receptive to more hardcore games, especially since they tend to have a lot of free time, and I think that the fact that Nintendo is giving a lot of them their first taste is an indirect side effect Nintendo is very happy about, since it means they're likely to have at least a tenuous hold on another generation or so of Nintendo fans. Third parties could take advantage of that base too--they just don't really see any reason to in the short run, when they can make so much with cheaper games.
Lobster said:
Uncharted did over a 1 million WW but it took a while. It made a profit for sure but guess what? Umbrella Chronicles made WAY more of a profit even though they sold similar ammounts.
Uncharted unfortunately has not done over one million worldwide, or at least hadn't by the beginning of March '07 (EU+NA top 100 charts). I think it's shipped that many though.

Lobster

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
I don't see publishers complaining about sales on the 360/Ps3, sorry. They seem to be pretty happy.

And at the same time, they are also happy that the Wii is such a success and that there's already 3rd parties making good money on it.

Then it goes about creativity/devs wishes/publishers release schedules etc etc. Fox makes T.V shows, they also make movies, etc

So if your question is "but if x games sell the best, why not make just games like those" don't, think about what i said about fox.

Of course publishers don't complain about sales on the 360/Ps3..they don't even complain about sales on Wii.

They do on the other hand praise Wii sales every time their annual reports are released..They never seem to praise the Ps3 sales even though they seem to be confident that thats where their big games should go.

Raw64life said:
Everything not in the OP so far...
March 08:
WII BULLY: ~35K
Oh man, that is pathetic! The Wii really is the kiddie/senior/family console. I can understand the weak manhunt 2 sales, but Bully is a really fun open world game but with lots of non family game mischief. And there are many other examples. Like EA's good Medal of Honor game that didn't sell all that well.

I think that most of the more hardcore gamers that own Wiis also own 360s or PS3s such that they buy their shooters & sports games on those HD platforms and just buy the Nintendo IP titles for the Wii.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
sonycowboy: can you post Mystery Dungeon: Shiren The Wanderer numbers(platform is the DS)? I'm interested to see how it did. Shiren 3 depends on Shiren DS sales. :/

Top Bottom