• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official March 2008 NPD - There are no words. Almost $1B in SW sales

I can't find the page, but there was a list of various records set by video games.

Wii Sports will definatly beat the record for most games sold as a bundled copy.

Vagabundo

Starchasing said:
All i want is salty tears. I gave up hope on any rational debate on the sales threads. So i hope that MK outsells GTAIV. I already bought it and i can assure you all that is has a lot of casual and hardocre appeal

You've become some sort of salty vampire. You've lost your moral centre.

After the amazing software sales this month it's almost mind blowing to think we could be even higher next month.

It's also fantastic to see some big games getting released outside the holiday period. SSBB, than GTA, MK, MGS etc. Gives me some games to tie me over before the massive holiday log jam.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Anyone who thinks GTA IV will sell 6m in its first week in the US alone is out of his/her mind. That prediction of nearly 6m sales in the first week was worldwide not only in the US.
Also the 360 version (which will sell better in the US) will be lucky to sell in April as much as SSBB sold in March, let alone breaking Halo 3 record.

starship said:
Anyone who thinks GTA IV will sell 6m in its first week in the US alone is out of his/her mind. That prediction of nearly 6m sales in the first week was worldwide not only in the US.
Also the 360 version (which will sell better in the US) will be lucky to sell in April as much as SSBB sold in March, let alone breaking Halo 3 record.

You don't think the 360 version of GTA will do 2.7m?? In the April NPDs? I'm pretty sure it will do approximately that maybe more!

jaaz said:
+1 The 360 outsells the PS3 by 5k units in one month (after the PS3 outsold the 360 by significantly more than that in the previous two months) and all of a sudden the NPD thread is once again full of the "zomg, teh Sony is dOOmed" crowd. Must have been a long two months, eh? :lol
However - the FIRST month Sony outsells the 360 it was cool for the 'teh 360 is dOOmed' crowd to raise their flag..... can't have it both ways...
:lol

I think it's nuts that the Wii hit 279,000 units shy of 1 million. In March.

Here I was thinking last years 500,000 units in July was awesome.

If Nintendo manages to hit 900,000 units in July of this year I'll officially begin to realize I'm sitting in an insane asylum right now, hallucinating wildly.

Luckyman

Banned
mr_bishiuk said:
You don't think the 360 version of GTA will do 2.7m?? In the April NPDs? I'm pretty sure it will do approximately that maybe more!

Smash had four-five weeks of NPD tracking..

Bigger base should push it to bigger debut than Halo but Halo also had a week more.

mr_bishiuk said:

the 360 version alone will be lucky to beat mario kart by much and that aint gonna do smash numbers

Nocebo

Son of Godzilla said:
Explain. I really don't see how a mascot based kart racer is somehow more casual friendly than a mascot based fighter.
:lol This is a joke right? You don't see how racing karts would appeal more to people than fighting?

The biggest joke in this thread, though, was that guy that said the wii sales would drop off because the lineup for the rest of 2008 is less than stellar. Has this guy been living under a rock for the past one and a half years? :lol

DayShallCome said:
Some Graphs

sales-trends-march-08.png

Incredible.

mysticstylez said:
Wii can sell as many consoles as it wants, but until major 3rd party companies start making games for Wii first and other consoles next their sales won't mean shit. Sure Nintendo is making a shitload of money but their sales aren't taking away any key games from 360 or PS3 any time soon.

Oh man....

Cheez-It

Kenka said:
So fanboys left for good ?

Excellent ! Let's discuss properly. Wii Fit won't be tracked by NPD so we're only left with estimations. This leads us to talk about only MK and GTA as well as Brawl's second month.

I don't see anyone correcting this... I could have sworn that either the guy that told us it would track as an accessory, or someone else privy to this information informed us that it would be tracked as a game, and that one or more gamestop folk confirmed this. Wii Fit will be tracked. It will be fun to watch.

Cheez-It said:
I don't see anyone correcting this... I could have sworn that either the guy that told us it would track as an accessory, or someone else privy to this information informed us that it would be tracked as a game, and that one or more gamestop folk confirmed this. Wii Fit will be tracked. It will be fun to watch.
Anihawk confirmed it back when he use to work at GameStop.

It will be tracked.

Raw64life

Raw64life said:
Everything not in the OP so far...

March 08:

PS3 TOM CLANCYS RAINBOW SIX VEGAS 2: ~155K
PS3 CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE: ~140K
PS3 HOT SHOTS GOLF: ~35K

360 GUITAR HERO III: ~120K
360 LOST ODYSSEY: ~65K

NDS FINAL FANTASY CRYSTAL CHRONICLES: ~65K

WII BULLY: ~35K

-----

Rough LTDs:

360 CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE: ~3.9 million
360 LOST ODYSSEY: ~270K

WII GUITAR HERO III: ~2 million

-----

Hardware LTDs:

PS2: ~41.9 million
GBA: ~36.0 million
NDS: ~19.1 million
XBX: ~14.5 million
GCN: ~11.8 million
PSP: ~11.3 million
360: ~9.9 million
Wii: ~8.8 million
PS3: ~4.1 million

-----

WII PLAY W/REMOTE - WTF:

February 07 - 371K
March 07 - 273K
April 07 - 249K
May 07 - 227K
June 07 - 293K
July 07 - 278K
August 07 - 257K
September 07 - 282K
October 07 - 240K
November 07 - 564K
December 07 - 1.1 million
January 08 - 298K
February 08 - 290K
March 08 - 410K

borghe said:
this is a non-point though. I mean I realize it's what developers have used for years (though you note how they never used that excuse on the SNES, GB, GBA, or DS). Nintendo isn't the best selling software on the Wii, it's the best selling software in THE INDUSTRY. It's like activision saying they're not going to release games on xbox because EA is. Pointing to Nintendo manufacturing the system is just crying wolf.

We've seen that when developers create great titles on Wii, they are successful. Sure there are some great titles on Wii that bombed, but that happens on ALL platforms.

I seriously think the lack of AAA publisher attention has been because publishers have up until recently (even now?) considered the possibility that the wii is a bubble waiting to burst. when the floor drops from the wii it's going to crash hard. I don't think ANY publisher thought it was still going to be selling out 16 months after launch, that it was going to post the largest non-holiday numbers in the history of the industry, and that all of this is just getting started with arguably two even BIGGER releases set to hit in back to back months. AAA publishers have been placing bets this entire time, and they keep losing money at the table only to place another bet that maybe THIS will be the month when the bottom drops out.

Mark my words... support will pick up eventually. The ONLY way I'd be wrong is if the bottom in fact did fall out from the Wii sales. But if they haven't by now, and Wii actually overtakes 360 by June or July, Wii will handedly win this generation in both units and support.

This is very logic, but I remain skeptikal. Third Parties are so stupid...

Drinky Crow said:
can we call the ps3 this gen's gamecube officially, now? 2nd most powerful system, lags behind the xbox in sales, and whose hype among the gafcore is driven by a codependent set of japanese gaming fetishists obsessed with retread franchises and the occasional overmarketed and undelivering western exclusive

It's not a NPD thread without Drinky. :lol :lol

Vagabundo

Drinky Dinky Cow said:
can we call the ps3 this gen's gamecube officially, now? 2nd most powerful system, lags behind the xbox in sales, and whose hype among the gafcore is driven by a codependent set of japanese gaming fetishists obsessed with retread franchises and the occasional overmarketed and undelivering western exclusive

I feel so Dirty when I agree with Drinky.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
This is very logic, but I remain skeptikal. Third Parties are so stupid...
like I said many pages back when someone else replied saying third parties won't change... they're betting on the Wii floor STILL falling out. They're betting on it being a fad that will slow down. April NPDs will be VERY telling.

Supposedly first full production month of 360. GAF workers even claim plenty of 360s on shelves.
GTAIV
MKWii

I'm not saying we'll see 3rd parties turn around next month... but if Wii destroys both systems again in April, and then again in May... I mean I guess the question is, how much longer can AAA development teams ignore the fact that they are developing on consoles that often have only like 66-80% of the Wiis sales COMBINED. This seriously has to be the first generation in forever where the best selling console doesn't have the most support. To stay that way until the end of the gen would be amazing... and an industry first.

Vagabundo

borghe said:
like I said many pages back when someone else replied saying third parties won't change... they're betting on the Wii floor STILL falling out. They're betting on it being a fad that will slow down. April NPDs will be VERY telling.

Supposedly first full production month of 360. GAF workers even claim plenty of 360s on shelves.
GTAIV
MKWii

I'm not saying we'll see 3rd parties turn around next month... but if Wii destroys both systems again in April, and then again in May... I mean I guess the question is, how much longer can AAA development teams ignore the fact that they are developing on consoles that often have only like 66-80% of the Wiis sales COMBINED. This seriously has to be the first generation in forever where the best selling console doesn't have the most support. To stay that way until the end of the gen would be amazing... and an industry first.

I'll consider it done and dusted when RR announce a GTA for the Wii. (I'm waiting for them to announce it for the PC, comeon guys)

It would be amazing to watch if your scenario unfolds as you say. There would be rivers of blood and gnashing of teeth.

Drinky Crow said:
can we call the ps3 this gen's gamecube officially, now? 2nd most powerful system, lags behind the xbox in sales, and whose hype among the gafcore is driven by a codependent set of japanese gaming fetishists obsessed with retread franchises and the occasional overmarketed and undelivering western exclusive.

Oh god. :lol

Insane numbers for Nintendo, even moreso than usual. Guitar Hero 3 is a certifiable beast, I can only imagine how well Rock Band will do on the platform.

PS3 Blu Ray bump seems to be over. $399 reality sets back in.

Ubisoft, 2k, and EA making a killing on 360 as usual, I don't expect their support to go anywhere anytime soon. Free Radical has got to be looking at those Vegas numbers (and the lack thereof on PS3) and kicking themselves over the Haze debacle.

One has to wonder how big an effect a 360 price drop will have on the current 'fighting for second' landscape, especially if it coincides with GTAIV. If the drop was similar to the one in Europe, I could see it outpacing the PS3 in May and June, MGS4 be damned.

If MS does nothing, they should prepare to have a ton of egg on their faces. I guess we'll find out this weekend.

Narcosis

borghe said:

And you know for a fact they're betting on Wii falling out? You've been to their planning meetings for games when they make decisions on where to place their titles?

The Wii is getting 3rd party games, it's just that due to the different nature of the consoles this time around the types of games released on Wii on comparison to those released on PC/360/PS3 will be different.

As usual in NPD threads, just because games like CoD4 or Bioshock don't see a Wii release suddenly GAF goes on a binge of "3rd parties hate the Wii" when it's not true. Some games are more suited to the Wii hardware and some are more suited to the HD consoles and PC, and 3rd parties recognize this and distribute their games accordingly. This idea of no support for the Wii is because some people have this tunnel vision where they just see a select few games they'd like to have on Wii go to the other hardware and think everyone is against Nintendo or has some aganda against the Wii.

Whomever said 2008 was PS3's year got their consoles mixed up. It'll definitely be the year of the Wii. Mario Kart, SSBB, and Wii Fit will ensure Nintendo's console dominance for at least half of 2008, although we all know that these games will continue to sell superbly well into second half. I'm very much looking forward to seeing what they have cooked up for the holidays this year, but there's no doubt that they have another monster waiting to be unleashed on both casuals and hardcore gamers.

I don't suspect we'll see a steady stream of great third-party games on the Wii until 2009. Reggie himself said a while back that it would take 2-3 years for other developers to catch up. If this is true and Nintendo continues to pump out quality, fundamentally-sound, and FUN first-party games, then, I really don't see how the other two consoles will stop the Wii.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl worldwide:
USA: 2.700.000
Jap.: 1.592.000
Can.: 200.000
---------------------------
Total: 4.492.000

:D

I wonder how much the LTD is going to be at the end of the gen., I think it will have good legs in the US and PAL - regions are still remaining.

WrikaWrek

Banned
frankie_baby said:
the 360 version alone will be lucky to beat mario kart by much and that aint gonna do smash numbers

Were you in a coma last gen? GTA is the biggest game in gaming Period, it'll beat MK and do close to smash sales, just wait!

kswiston

Lobster said:
It might do less than Brawls first month though.

Brawl like many hardcore games (Halo, Mario Galaxy, Zelda, CoD) gets most of its sales from its first two months.

For example, Brawl did 800k first week in Japan and Kart did 600k. There is no doubt that Kart will outsell Brawl in the long run though.

Mario Kart Wii won't get anywhere near Brawl's march number, even if it sells at a similar rate. Brawl had just under a month to reach 2.7M (Mar 9th- April 5th). Mario Kart Wii is released on April 27th, and will have about a week of sales on next month's charts.

Considering Nintendo reported Brawl sales at 1.4M after the first week, I would imagine that Mario Kart Wii will debut in the 1M-1.5M range, even if it is a smash hit.

I think people are overpredicting GTA4 as well. Considering its April 29th release date, I wouldn't be surprised if the 360+PS3 version sales are somewhere around 3M, with another couple million units sold in May.

Durante

Starchasing said:
You just said that some games are more suited for HD consoles. You didnt even said why or did care to give a reason.
I didn't say any such thing, that was someone else. However, I agree and I think the reasons are obvious -- but I won't go to the trouble to make a list since I'm convinced you won't acknowledge them.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Lobster said:
GTA is going to smash Halo 3 numbers..

combined.

I'd bet a months ban on it.

Yeah but i was talking 360. I'm sure GTA will sell more than Halo 3 because i think GTA4 will do Halo numbers on the 360 alone.

And lets give a some credit to the 2 360 games in the top 3, amazing software sales, Smash is the star of the show but i think those two did surprisingly well.

kswiston

Captain Smoker said:
Super Smash Bros. Brawl worldwide:
USA: 2.700.000
Jap.: 1.592.000
Can.: 200.000
---------------------------
Total: 4.492.000

:D

I wonder how much the LTD is going to be at the end of the gen., I think it will have good legs in the US and PAL - regions are still remaining.

Depends on PAL. My guess is 6M+ for US+Canada and 2M+ for Japan (it was at 14k last week so the climb to 2M is going to be slow).

Unless SSBBs legs are a lot worse than I am expecting in North America, and PAL is largely not interested, I'd imagine that 10M should be easily obtainable at this point. Maybe even 12M if PAL sales are strong and NA legs are good.

WrikaWrek said:
Yeah but i was talking 360. I'm sure GTA will sell more than Halo 3 because i think GTA4 will do Halo numbers on the 360 alone.

I don't know about that. Halo 2 and San Andreas launched 2 weeks apart in 2004 and Halo 2's first week was a good deal higher. Of course San Andreas went on to sell 3-4M more copies than Halo 2 in the US (before counting the Xbox and PC versions). GTA4 will open huge, but it may be a smaller opening than Halo 3 (on any single console) followed by COD4 style legs.

Lobster

Banned
WrikaWrek said:

I think on 360 it will smash Halo numbers aswell..

I'm just not as willing to bet on that though.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Narcosis said:
The Wii is getting 3rd party games, it's just that due to the different nature of the consoles this time around the types of games released on Wii on comparison to those released on PC/360/PS3 will be different.
Nature? So the Wii is incapable of playing traditional styled games? This is an inane path of logic. If Wii had shipped with Mario Galaxy no one would be saying this. But instead it ships with Wii Sports and all the sudden the Wii is a casual only system that sees plenty of casual 3rd party releases. It is silly to expect hardcore games to be focused on the system. Yet when traditional casual games like Karaoke Revolution, Rock Band, Guitar Hero, DDR, etc go to PS360, well, because those systems get everything because they are traditional gaming systems.

This notion that hardcore games won't sell on the wii or that the wii isn't really set for that market is stupid, and perpetuated by 3rd party devs ignoring it for most titles except the most casual (or easiest to port from PS2).

As Wii continues to distance itself from the other two worldwide, and as it approaches, reaches, and then continues to pass the 360's NA total, devs will have no choice but to look at it as a real release platform for traditional gaming. There's no way they're going to be able to convince stock holders and publishers for the next 2+ years that it isn't worthwhile to be putting major development assets towards the largest install base in each individual territory by a large margin. if you can explain how it wouldn't be worthwhile, more power to you.

Narcosis

Starchasing said:
You just said that some games are more suited for HD consoles. You didnt even said why or did care to give a reason.

If you want you give reasons go ahead.

Someone actually needs to explain why different gaming hardware with different specs, different user input and who cater to different markets of consumers will get different software support from 3rd parties?

bhorge said:
As Wii continues to distance itself from the other two worldwide, and as it approaches, reaches, and then continues to pass the 360's NA total, devs will have no choice but to look at it as a real release platform for traditional gaming. There's no way they're going to be able to convince stock holders and publishers for the next 2+ years that it isn't worthwhile to be putting major development assets towards the largest install base in each individual territory by a large margin. if you can explain how it wouldn't be worthwhile, more power to you.

The Wii is getting "traditional" games and is getting 3rd party support from just about everyone, just because a few high profile games aren't on Wii is not an indication of some 3rd party hivemind of ignoring the Wii.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Guys debating Wii vs 360/Ps3 must be the same guys that like to debate ice cream flavors.

"Chocolate > strawberry, and it sells the most too, so there should be only chocolate."

"But i want more than chocolate. I actually like to mix Chocolate with strawberry flavor"

"Fuck you."

.... Seriously people. Give it a rest.

starship said:

I can definitely see GTA pulling Brawl numbers in America..I can predict at least 4 millions worldwide next month alone. 4.7 to be more accurate, that's my bet

still, Nintendo
ugh2.jpg

look2fp.gif

cat_punch-22.gif

wristaction2.gif

61634719.gif

PS3
15535370.gif

Top Bottom