• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official March 2008 NPD - There are no words. Almost $1B in SW sales

Rhindle

Sharp said:
Not in the US. Among other things, Halo 3 didn't sell 5 million in its first week in the US, and the article is using that as a "first week" reference. Worldwide I think it's quite feasible that GTA IV will hit six million--but that's not actually what we were discussing.
My guess is it will do 4-5 million in the US at launch. But the 6 million number isn't as outlandish as you were making it out to be.

Sharp

Rhindle said:
My guess is it will do 4-5 million in the US at launch. But the 6 million number isn't as outlandish as you were making it out to be.
Fair enough, though I'd be surprised at five million week one as well.

Luckyman

Banned
Brakara said:
Some more software numbers from The simExchange (sorry if already posted):

NR Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2 (PS3) 99,900

Does not seem accurate. IGN has above 200k.
The second highest selling game, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2 for the Xbox 360, came in far below that but still sold an impressive 750,000 units. Combined with its PlayStation 3 brother, Vegas 2 sold through more than 984,000 copies.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/867/867592p1.html

About 140k for COD4 PS3

More than 390,000 Call of Duty 4s sold through to consumers

Innotech said:
So really, a pretty balanced library between first and third party. much moreso than I had on Gamecube. Im quite happy with the selection and would not sell any of these except Rapala (as if anyone would buy that one)

I'm in a similar boat. Out of the 30 I currently own, exactly half were published by Nintendo. Out of the four games I've currently got reserved, again, exactly half are Nintendo titles.

For me, that's a ratio varied enough to keep things more than interesting enough.

Htown said:
The more "hardcore" fans, you have Zelda: Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, Mario Galaxy, Smash Brothers, Fire Emblem, and almost anything else Nintendo comes out with. You also have little pieces of niche awesomeness, like Zack & Wiki and No More Heroes and Geometry Wars Galaxies, and original and ported light gun games have a new home. Even the hated "LOL PS2 ports" have extremely solid games mixed in, like Okami and Bully and RE4. From what I hear, Pro Evolution Soccer is best on the Wii, doing really awesome things with the controls. Then there's upcoming stuff like Mario Kart, the Symphonia sequel and some fantastic-looking Wii Ware games.

Truth. Well said, and there are lots of other exclusives I'd add to the list, too. There shouldn't be any confusion behind why Wii is a perfectly capable primary/sole home console - for anyone from the most sporadic of game player on down to those who devote tons of time to gaming.

EDarkness said:
Seems the other numbers there match the numbers we've seen for other games, so my guess would be they're actual numbers....

That's what i was thinking, but the date above the list implies the data collection ended on the 5th of April, and Okami came out later than that (15th).

Sharp

_Alkaline_ said:
That's what i was thinking, but the date above the list implies the data collection ended on the 5th of April, and Okami came out later than that (15th).
Aha, I was sure it didn't come out in the March reporting period. Yeah, probably a prediction then. Silly SimExchange.

Lobster

Banned
on the site, it says okami numbers are a prediction..

it clearly says it.

Like its even under a category called predictions.

Lobster said:
on the site, it says okami numbers are a prediction..

it clearly says it.

Like its even under a category called predictions.

Yeah but so are lots of confirmed numbers.

But it is a prediction, since its what they predicted last month before the game was delayed. :(

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
dammitmattt said:
GTA4 will outsell Mario Kart 5 to 1. Wii and DS will be fine, so the only potential meltdown is when we find out exactly how much the 360 version outsold the PS3 version by, and how much the 360 outsold the PS3.

There will be some sort of meltdown when the April results come out. Given the closeness in release of MK and GTA4, I fully expect something bizarre to happen.

(5:1 sounds like a slightly... shall we say... optimistic ratio? I mean, it could happen, but I wouldn't place odds on at at this point... and I get the impression I'm not the only one to think so.)

C4Lukins

DavidDayton said:
There will be some sort of meltdown when the April results come out. Given the closeness in release of MK and GTA4, I fully expect something bizarre to happen.

(5:1 sounds like a slightly... shall we say... optimistic ratio? I mean, it could happen, but I wouldn't place odds on at at this point... and I get the impression I'm not the only one to think so.)

5:1 is overly optimistic. Mario has a couple of extra days of sales in a very short NPD period. My guess is 3.5 million to 1 million in April.

Lobster

Banned
starship said:
I didn't read the whole thread. Can someone summarize all data we have so far?

Nintendo fans: Wow Nintendo

360 fans: Woot 360>Ps3 even when its supply constrained!

Ps3 fans: By 5k so what?

GAF: Wii users only buy Nintendo games while 360 has better 3rd party sales.

Me: How does Wii 3rd party games even compared to 360 3rd party games?

Then it all went off topic..and no we're here.

Oh and also Tabris? admitted he played his 360 the most. Yes even more than his Ps3.

Kenka

So fanboys left for good ?

Excellent ! Let's discuss properly. Wii Fit won't be tracked by NPD so we're only left with estimations. This leads us to talk about only MK and GTA as well as Brawl's second month.

I think that advertisement is the best element we can use to predict sales. Its impact will surely have the greatest importance. So, since I don't live in the USA, can someone say how advertisements are running on TV screens right now ? Did they already begin ?

Kenka said:

Excellent ! Let's discuss properly. Wii Fit won't be tracked by NPD so we're only left with estimations. This leads us to talk about only MK and GTA as well as Brawl's second month.

I think that advertisement is the best element we can use to predict sales. Its impact will surely have the greatest importance. So, since I don't live in the USA, can someone say how advertisements are running on TV screens right now ? Did they already begin ?
Wait... really? I thought Wii Fit would fall under the same category as a Rock Band, Guitar Hero, Wii Play or Mario Kart. They're all pieces of software with an additional peripheral.

Where did you hear this?

Jonnyram said:
I keep reading that as $18.
That certainly would leave me speechless.

Kenka said:

even if wiifit isn't tracked by npd i'm sure nintendo will only be too happy to give out numbers

EDarkness

Kenka said:

I have no idea how it's going to play out. My guess is that GTA will come out on top. Is there any hype for Mario Kart? I'm in Japan, so I don't know about it's current mindshare. GTA is too huge of a game to not beat Mario Kart, in my opinion.

Also, based on what I've been reading on the net, I don't think Okami Wii is going to do that well, either. Would be real surprised on that front.

Lobster

Banned
EDarkness said:
I have no idea how it's going to play out. My guess is that GTA will come out on top. Is there any hype for Mario Kart? I'm in Japan, so I don't know about it's current mindshare. GTA is too huge of a game to not beat Mario Kart, in my opinion.

Also, based on what I've been reading on the net, I don't think Okami Wii is going to do that well, either. Would be real surprised on that front.

Mario Kart will be big..I don't know if it will be Brawl big..but so far its proving to be bigger than Galaxy in Europe and Japan.

EDarkness

Lobster said:
Mario Kart will be big..I don't know if it will be Brawl big..but so far its proving to be bigger than Galaxy in Europe and Japan.

Well, here in Japan, I've seen actual setups so people can play the game. I was in Yodobashi Camera in Yokohama the other day and saw a line of people waiting to try it out. Quite a few people purchased it. Perhaps letting people get some hands on time with it is helping.

Lobster said:
It'll be much bigger than Brawl. It's got crossover appeal with the expanded Wii market than Brawl just doesn't have.

Lobster

Banned
Wrestlemania said:
It'll be much bigger than Brawl. It's got crossover appeal with the expanded Wii market than Brawl just doesn't have.

It might do less than Brawls first month though.

Brawl like many hardcore games (Halo, Mario Galaxy, Zelda, CoD) gets most of its sales from its first two months.

For example, Brawl did 800k first week in Japan and Kart did 600k. There is no doubt that Kart will outsell Brawl in the long run though.

Kenka

Mario Kart seems to have taken Switzerland by storm. At least in Lausanne and Geneva, it litterally rapes other games except the basic DS crap. It's the first time I see that. Old and young people mixed play it in stores, vendors push it to customers. Eeven Halo didn't launch that big in here.

Regarding advertisment, the game has been pushed a lot and, surprisingly, shares now the place with very discreet (but efficient) Wii Fit TV ads, most of the time in a row.

Lobster said:
It might do less than Brawls first month though.

Brawl like many hardcore games (Halo, Mario Galaxy, Zelda, CoD) gets most of its sales from its first two months.

For example, Brawl did 800k first week in Japan and Kart did 600k. There is no doubt that Kart will outsell Brawl in the long run though.
Yeah, you're probably right there.

Lobster said:
There is no doubt that Kart will outsell Brawl in the long run though.

Because DD totally did that to Melee, right? Smash Bros is Nintendo's biggest game, by fucking far. The fact that Kart has come up with some rather lackluster reviews/impressions only cements your opinion in crazyland.

Lobster

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
Because DD totally did that to Melee, right? Smash Bros is Nintendo's biggest game, by fucking far. The fact that Kart has come up with some rather lackluster reviews/impressions only cements your opinion in crazyland.

Because MK:Wii is totally DD right?

Maybe do some reasearch first?

Mario Kart Wii is kicking ass already.

In UK it has outsold all 5 previous Mario games first weeks on Wii combined in its first week. Brawl is not as big as Mario Kart in Europe..

In Japan it has opened at 600k..

A RECORD FOR THE SERIES! YES EVEN MORE THAN THE DS VERSION!

Given the fact that it appeals to a broader audience..its going to outsell Brawl easily in Japan.

We gotta see what happens in US though.

Son of Godzilla said:
Explain. I really don't see how a mascot based kart racer is somehow more casual friendly than a mascot based fighter.

Because ones a racing game and ones a fighter? Racing games are much more casual friendly than fighting games..

Lobster said:
Because MK:Wii is totally DD right?

Maybe do some reasearch first?

Mario Kart Wii is kicking ass already.

In UK it has outsold all 5 previous Mario games first weeks on Wii combined in its first week. Brawl is not as big as Mario Kart in Europe..

In Japan it has opened at 600k..

A RECORD FOR THE SERIES! YES EVEN MORE THAN THE DS VERSION!

Given the fact that it appeals to a broader audience..its going to outsell Brawl easily in Japan.

We gotta see what happens in US though.

All i want is salty tears. I gave up hope on any rational debate on the sales threads. So i hope that MK outsells GTAIV. I already bought it and i can assure you all that is has a lot of casual and hardocre appeal

AniHawk

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Wait... really? I thought Wii Fit would fall under the same category as a Rock Band, Guitar Hero, Wii Play or Mario Kart. They're all pieces of software with an additional peripheral.

Where did you hear this?

I think everyone's going off what Matt Cassashyamalan said about a month ago in a podcast. He said retailers were counting it as an accessory SKU. About a week before the podcast went up, I knew that was true from my work at Gamestop. However, the SKU was changed to a software SKU before the podcast went up, so he could have been going off old information.

Lobster

Banned
Starchasing said:
All i want is salty tears. I gave up hope on any rational debate on the sales threads. So i hope that MK outsells GTAIV. I already bought it and i can assure you all that is has a lot of casual and hardocre appeal

GTAIV has much more impressive marketing..

MK will probably outsell the Ps3 version though.

AniHawk said:
I think everyone's going off what Matt Cassashyamalan said about a month ago in a podcast. He said retailers were counting it as an accessory SKU. About a week before the podcast went up, I knew that was true from my work at Gamestop. However, the SKU was changed to a software SKU before the podcast went up, so he could have been going off old information.
Hmm... maybe. It wouldn't make much sense to count it as an accessory SKU in my mind, it being in the same product line as all the Wii__ software.

Top Bottom