• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NFL Week 13 Thread - RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
6kf3dl4.jpg

6oxyjcl.jpg

RIP one of the best, if not the best, young safeties in the league. Totally senseless way to go... and he was younger than a lot of us in these threads, myself included.

NFL.com story.

Thurday
GB @ DAL

Sunday
DET @ MIN
SEA @ PHI
SD @ KC
NYJ @ MIA
JAC @ IND
SF @ CAR
HOU @ TEN
ATL @ STL
BUF @ WAS
CLE @ ARI
DEN @ OAK
NYG @ CHI
TB @ NO
CIN @ PIT

Monday
NE @ BAL

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
As it stands now...

GB @ DAL

DET @ MIN
SEA @ PHI - If sunday night wasn't a total fluke, then I don't see us winning. :(
SD @ KC
NYJ @ MIA
JAC @ IND - Gotta watch the injury list here
SF @ CAR
HOU @ TEN
ATL @ STL
BUF @ WAS
CLE @ ARI
DEN @ OAK
NYG @ CHI
TB @ NO
CIN @ PIT

NE @ BAL

Wellington said:
RIP one of the best, if not the best, young safeties in the league. Totally senseless way to go... and he was younger than a lot of us in these threads, myself included.

He'll be greatly missed. Definitely a senseless way to go. RIP Sean. My prayers go out to the Taylor family.

Triumph

Banned
Last week: 12-4 YTD: 112-66

Thurday
GB @ DAL- I'd like to go with the Packers here, but I think Dallas wins in a shootout. GB has too many injuries right now.

Sunday
DET @ MIN- Unless, of course, Kitna throws four interceptions or something.
SEA @ PHI- I wonder if Andy has a blueprint for beating the Seahawks?
SD @ KC- Sorry KC, you lost to the Raiders. No more credibility with me.
NYJ @ MIA- Yup, I'm picking the lolphins. Six losses by 3 points? Gotta go their way sometime.
JAC @ IND- I would like to pick the Jags but I don't see Indy losing to them at home.
SF @ CAR- Wow. Carolina sucks. I'll probably get stuck with this game living in Wilmington, too.
HOU @ TEN- Vince Young needs to remember how to win football games.
ATL @ STL- I'm setting myself up for disappointment, but oh well.
BUF @ WAS- Poor Washington. All this and they have to be "coached" by Joe Gibbs on top of it.
CLE @ ARI- The Cardinals are funny.
DEN @ OAK- Shanahan should be fired or at least publicly flogged for that Bears loss.
NYG @ CHI- If I'm the Bears, I'm playing Hester at CB in case he intercepts a pass.
TB @ NO- This game will suck.
CIN @ PIT- Just a set up for the raping the Pats will give you in Week 14. BELIEVE.

Monday
NE @ BAL- Look for the Pats to pick up the asswhipping again.

linkboy

That really, really, sucks about Taylor. Just as he was starting to get his life together to.

Thurday
GB @ DAL

Sunday
DET @ MIN
SEA @ PHI
SD @ KC
NYJ @ MIA
JAC @ IND
SF @ CAR
HOU @ TEN
ATL @ STL
BUF @ WAS (I have a feeling they'll be playing on pure emotion)
CLE @ ARI
DEN @ OAK
NYG @ CHI
TB @ NO
CIN @ PIT

Monday
NE @ BAL

SonnyBoy

RIP Sean...

I truly wouldn't care if the Skins didn't play another down this entire season...

A bride lost a groom, a daughter lost a father, a father lost a son and least important of all, we lost one helluva player. He is my favorite player.

cashman

Banned
RIP Sean

Thurday
GB @ DAL

Sunday
DET @ MIN
SEA @ PHI
SD @ KC
NYJ @ MIA
JAC @ IND
SF @ CAR
HOU @ TEN
ATL @ STL
BUF @ WAS
CLE @ ARI
DEN @ OAK
NYG @ CHI
TB @ NO
CIN @ PIT

Monday
NE @ BAL

SonnyBoy said:
RIP Sean...

I truly wouldn't care if the Skins didn't play another down this entire season...

A bride lost a groom, a daughter lost a father, a father lost a son and least important of all, we lost one helluva player. He is my favorite player.

Agreed on all of the above. I'm just at a loss for words atm.

SonnyBoy

IMHO. The Skins should retire his number and I would love to see Clinton Portis wear it out of respect for the final time this week. He and Sean were extremely close and I think that'd simply be awesome, respectful and classy. I also hope that they put him in our ring of honor.

As much as I despire Snyder at times... I'm sure he'll do the right thing and make sure that his daughter is well taken of and that he is honored.

Shinobi

:( This really fucking sucks...just horrible. Feel terrible for his family, the team, and the fans in the DC area cause I know how much they love the Skins (I'm a Redskins fan, but not nearly to the level of these diehards). Bleh...kinda makes the rest of this season sorta meaningless now. Of course he did some pretty bad stuff previously in his life, but hopefully he'd genuinely improved himself as a person before his untimely demise.

What'll piss me off now is seeing a procession of NFL pundits (who I don't have much use for to begin with) marching up to the mic to talk about how this puts things in it's proper perspective, as if takes the murder of a man or the toppling of a couple of skyscrappers filled with people after getting slammed into by passenger jets to do this. Or how he was such a good guy (let's face it, he wasn't). That sort of trite commentary has never sat well with me. But I guess I went off on a tangent that isn't particularly neccessary at the moment.

Sigh...this really, really sucks. RIP Sean.

fb_AAHP082_8x10~Sean-Taylor-Posters.jpg

SonnyBoy said:
IMHO. The Skins should retire his number and I would love to see Clinton Portis wear it out of respect for the final time this week. He and Sean were extremely close and I think that'd simply be awesome, respectful and classy. I also hope that they put him in our ring of honor.

As much as I despire Snyder at times... I'm sure he'll do the right thing and make sure that his daughter is well taken of and that he is honored.

I think and hope that they will do all the things you mentioned. The most important being taking care of his daughter. I have faith that Snyder will do the right thing.

Carl2282

Sean Taylor passing away really sucks. The worst thing is he really did seem to have his troubles past him. The Skins really did seem to care about him and help him straighten things out. Not to mention him leaving behind a daughter.
This is also a big blow to our defense :(

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Shinobi said:
Or how he was such a good guy (let's face it, he wasn't). That sort of trite commentary has never sat well with me. But I guess I went off on a tangent that isn't particularly neccessary at the moment.

local media hasn't really done that, just spoken to the tragic nature of the event and how no one outside his family, close friends and teammates really knew him.

I think Taylor's family is financially secure at this point.

SonnyBoy

Shinobi said:
Or how he was such a good guy (let's face it, he wasn't). That sort of trite commentary has never sat well with me. But I guess I went off on a tangent that isn't particularly neccessary at the moment.

Oh come the fuck on... The dude was no saint but to say he was a bad guy is just assinine. Anyone who even remotely follows the team could tell you how he's changed. I've read/seen countless stories from training camp where he's out playing with children that come with their parents. He made a change in his life for the better but sadly it appears something from his past wasn't ready to move on. I know this is GAF but damn...show some decency and tact. Like I said, he was no angel but those close to him have spoken on how much he has improved. How much of a leadership role he has taken. Look at the interviews from camp and see just how humble he is.

zoomer.fpg

Here's an excerpt from one of our members.

I am emotional and sometimes I am quick to judge. It was difficult for me to get past Sean's previous troubles but this year during training camp, he showed me that he was changed. The story was better told by his father but I want to share it anyway. Jackson knows his players and typically the numbers. He unforunately struggles because of free agency and players moving back and forth between teams. When he saw number 21 run by he instinctively called out "Mr. Smoot, Mr. Smoot!". From what the media has reported, you would expect him to run right past and ignore Jackson's mistake. He did not. He took the time to stop and tell Jackson that his name was Sean and asked Jackson's name. He signed his autograph and continued to engage Jackson in conversation. He ended with telling him that he was glad that he came out to camp. Jackson was moved, as were his father and I.

So this morning, as the hogs.net's resident over reactor and emotionally charged person, I fight tears. Tears for the loss of a player, a father, a son, a hero to my young son. I want my son to know that you are more in life then what you do. Sean has helped me teach him this lesson. I hate that he was taken from this life before more people got to see the side of him that he shared with us that day. My thoughts are with his family. The Redskins family will suffer through this loss for a long time to come. Sean you will be missed not on the football field but in life. Rest in peace.

Shinobi

SonnyBoy said:
Oh come the fuck on... The dude was no saint but to say he was a bad guy is just assinine.

I didn't say he was a bad guy. I said he wasn't a good guy. Despite my beliefs, I don't believe there are absolutes in this case.

But him being a good guy is all you're going to hear from the pundits who'd have you believe the Bengals roster are full of good guys. Because kissing the NFL's ass is what they're paid to do. Which is why I have no use for them.

Don't get shit twisted...I haven't got Taylor marked down as a gangbangin' thug. And I did say I hope he'd genuinely changed things around. I just hate how false the pundits get during times like these, that's all.

SonnyBoy said:
Oh come the fuck on... The dude was no saint but to say he was a bad guy is just assinine. Anyone who even remotely follows the team could tell you how he's changed. I've read/seen countless stories from training camp where he's out playing with children that come with their parents. He made a change in his life for the better but sadly it appears something from his past wasn't ready to move on. I know this is GAF but damn...show some decency and tact. Like I said, he was no angel but those close to him have spoken on how much he has improved. How much of a leadership role he has taken. Look at the interviews from camp and see just how humble he is.

zoomer.fpg

QFT. He made one mistake in 24 years and by all accounts had really changed everything since his daughters birth. From everything I've read, players, family, friends, random fans, childrens accounts he sounded like a really improved man.

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
I'm not really a follower of football, but my roommate is. He's a big Skins fan and Sean was his favorite player, by far. He loved every thing about him. His aggressiveness, his determination, and in general the person he was. He had always told me he had got in a lot of trouble in the past but had recently turned his life around and was finally settling down and focusing solely on football and his family.

Today, my roommate is a complete mess. Sean has clearly touched alot of lives and I hope people remember him for the good things he did, because he clearly has done alot of good in his short life.

Only the good die young. RIP Sean.

Tamanon

Banned
That's really horrible. Shame for someone so young and he had finally turned things around it seems. After that shooting at a club this past year, everyone said "why don't the players just stay at home, only bad things happen out late at night"....and this time he was at home with his kid and girlfriend:(

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
UGH, just waking up, and the last I remembered, was that he was stabalized. When did he pass?

RIP #21

levious

so wait, it was a kitchen knife that was left on his bed a week ago in the previous alleged break in?

firex

man, that's horrible to hear it happened to Sean Taylor. I was hoping he'd recover... I don't even care about the skins, it's just bad to hear that happen to someone when they're trying to get their life turned around.

Thursday
GB @ DAL the better defense prevails

Sunday
DET @ MIN
SEA @ PHI unless andy reid's patented unleash the dragon offense doesn't work against the seahawks
SD @ KC upset #1?
NYJ @ MIA
JAC @ IND
SF @ CAR these assholes better win!
HOU @ TEN matt schaub just wins football games
ATL @ STL
BUF @ WAS
CLE @ ARI upset #2?
DEN @ OAK
NYG @ CHI
TB @ NO
CIN @ PIT unfortunately for america, these assholes will get to put up 63+ on the bengal defense

Monday
NE @ BAL

Tamanon

Banned
levious said:
so wait, it was a kitchen knife that was left on his bed a week ago in the previous alleged break in?

It sounds like this wasn't just a burglary attempt. Apparently the phone line was cut also.

levious

Tamanon said:
It sounds like this wasn't just a burglary attempt. Apparently the phone line was cut also.

yeah, but being a kitchen knife as well just seems weird to me, almost seems like it was a domestic situation, would better explain the shot to the groin as well. Sorry if that sounds insensitive, but it all just seems odd to me.

LiveWire

It's a pretty somber day in DC. The Express (a daily mini-paper published by the Washington Post and handed out for free around the city) ran a headline "Praying for Sean" based on yesterday's events. Lots of sad faces reading those papers. While Sean wasn't my favorite player, he was definitely a career Redskin and a huge part of the identity of the current team and its' defense.

As to the comments about the media, I actually figured they wouldn't glamorize him nor villianize him, but just report on his death while also mentioning his previous troubles and hinting that his murder may be related to his past. It's impossible for me to know every bad incident that went on in his life in the past few years, what reason his murderers had to kill him or if the murder was related to his past.

But considering that a lot of the positive talk about how Sean had taken accountability for any negative actions before his daughter's birth (that he was regarded by his peers, his coaches and others to be a kind and respectful young man who was re-devoting his life to be the best person he could be), and that such talk came well before this incident happened, I find it very hard to believe it was just PR talk from the Redskins organization, as Michael Wilbon suggested.

R.I.P. Sean. :(

On to the picks.....

Last week 9-6, 103-72 overall.

GB @ DAL GB's defense proves to be the difference. Should be a great game.
DET @ MIN I would say this is an upset too but Kitna's decision making seems to be getting worse and his line is getting more porous with each game.
SEA @ PHI Philly takes out their frustration on the Seattle Fraudhawks.
SD @ KC
NYJ @ MIA Miami FINALLY gets it's first win.
JAC @ IND UPSET OF THE WEEK! 4th quarter stunner in Indy.
SF @ CAR SF, can you run the table and finish .500?
HOU @ TEN Haynesworth should be back and Tennessee will roll on to victory.
ATL @ STL
BUF @ WAS I felt Washington would win this one before, but now I wonder if it will really motivate them or if they will still have struggles in their remaining games. The Bills also had a teammate tragedy and it didn't seem to motivate them enough to mask their weaknesses.
CLE @ ARI
DEN @ OAK
NYG @ CHI Devin Hester embarrasses the Giants again.
TB @ NO
CIN @ PIT
NE @ BAL

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Like I said in last week's NFL thread, may the asshole who shot Taylor get his comeuppance soon.

And like I said last week, I'm going to the LOLphins-Jets game. I have no choice. My dad, the lifelong Jets fan, has tickets, it's an annual tradition, and he's dragging me along. This is going to be the worst day of my life. >_<

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Shinobi said:
:
What'll piss me off now is seeing a procession of NFL pundits (who I don't have much use for to begin with) marching up to the mic to talk about how this puts things in it's proper perspective, as if takes the murder of a man or the toppling of a couple of skyscrappers filled with people after getting slammed into by passenger jets to do this. Or how he was such a good guy (let's face it, he wasn't). That sort of trite commentary has never sat well with me. But I guess I went off on a tangent that isn't particularly neccessary at the moment.

Sigh...this really, really sucks. RIP Sean.

fb_AAHP082_8x10~Sean-Taylor-Posters.jpg

Alot of people were saying that he started changing his life around and was becoming a better citizen.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
RIP Sean Taylor. Last night I was thinking up funny spitting jokes to make when he got better. Now that he's died, well, yeah. RIP.

On to football-- witness this week as the Lions win one of only two more games they'll win this season. They'll beat the Vikings this weekend and the Chiefs soon thereafter. 8-8. No 10 win season. Sorry kitna lulz

SonnyBoy

mckmas8808 said:
Alot of people were saying that he started changing his life around and was becoming a better citizen.

That has been the case since around Feb/March of THIS year. It's just the media who simply refuses to acknowledge any good a person is doing in their life. If he had been out making it rain, he would have been on front page.

what shitty news to wake up to. Sean Taylor was probably my favorite football player and the guy was younger than me for crissakes. What a waste to have it all end like this. RIP#21.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
SonnyBoy said:
That has been the case since around Feb/March of THIS year. It's just the media who simply refuses to acknowledge any good a person is doing in their life. If he had been out making it rain, he would have been on front page.

Yeah I hate that BS. The news in most if not all forms loves negative news and hates the positive news.

No reason why the country/world is so F'ed up.

Shinobi

levious said:
yeah, but being a kitchen knife as well just seems weird to me, almost seems like it was a domestic situation, would better explain the shot to the groin as well. Sorry if that sounds insensitive, but it all just seems odd to me.

I've heard that suggestion as well...sure hope that wasn't the case.

mckmas8808 said:
Yeah I hate that BS. The news in most if not all forms loves negative news and hates the positive news.

No reason why the country/world is so F'ed up.

Negative news is all people care about, or so the media likes to tell us all the time. I've never bought that reasoning, but then there isn't a lot I buy from the media these days.

Zeke

Tamanon said:
yea there is something going on with this whole situation. Cut phone phone line, knife left on the bed sounds more like bad movie/setup. Whatever the hell is going on I hope someone gets to the bottom of it.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Zeke said:
yea there is something going on with this whole situation. Cut phone phone line, knife left on the bed sounds more like bad movie/setup. Whatever the hell is going on I hope someone gets to the bottom of it.

can someone explain the knife thing? I missed that.

Sean will be missed.....my favorite player of this redskin age. He didn't deserve it and neither does anyone who changes the way he did to better himself.

This weekend will be hard to accept that i will not see Sean out there ready to lay the wood on some reciever or running back. Keep up the hit stick where ever you have gone Sean.

Zeke

msdstc said:
can someone explain the knife thing? I missed that.
Only thing I've heard about the knife is that it was left on the bed during the last break in. Other than that there hasn't been much said about it.

LiveWire

Zeke said:
Only thing I've heard about the knife is that it was left on the bed during the last break in. Other than that there hasn't been much said about it.

The knife was likely a message. His murder seems to be a premeditated hit.

maynerd

Banned
SonnyBoy said:

This news sucks but really...you think that this guy should have his number retired and him put into the ring of honor?

That's a bit much. IMHO.

Willco

Hollywood Square
I just came to say that I'll miss Sean Taylor - I'm from the area and he was one of the few talents we ever drafted and groomed. Taylor was always fun to watch. He made coming to FedEx Field during meaningless games fun. And although he was a troublemaker early on, I guess it's important to note that when he first put on his Redskins jersey, he was the same age as I when I was doing equally dumb shit during college.

Sean Taylor made Sunday games better just by his presence, even the ones that went bad. Who remembers the Pro Bowl last year when he leveled the punter? That was the kind of guy Sean was - no holds barred. And for a guy who was coming into his prime, tying the NFC lead in interceptions despite missing two games, it's a tragic loss for everybody.

Sean was always kind to fans, supportive of the team and gave it his all. And the guy was just one-year-older than me... with a daughter to boot.

Rest in peace.

SonnyBoy

maynerd said:
This news sucks but really...you think that this guy should have his number retired and him put into the ring of honor?

That's a bit much. IMHO.

I take back the retiring of the number but I do think he should go into the ring of fame.

twinturbo2 said:
Like I said in last week's NFL thread, may the asshole who shot Taylor get his comeuppance soon.

And like I said last week, I'm going to the LOLphins-Jets game. I have no choice. My dad, the lifelong Jets fan, has tickets, it's an annual tradition, and he's dragging me along. This is going to be the worst day of my life. >_<

Your dad is a Jets fan, how can you live with that? :p

Miguel

Man

My updates on the story were as follows.

I have my cell phone get text message updates at 1:30 when I get to work about NFL news.

V.NFL Washington Redskins star safety Sean Taylor was shot in the leg at his home Monday and was bleeding heavily and in a critical condition (AP)

4 hours later during lunch, I'm watching ESPN and see that he's still in critical condition and lost a lot of blood

5 hours later, I get home and my roommate is saying how he may have actually responded or come out of a coma (I wasn't quite sure of the details at that point)

As far as I knew, it looked like he was at least making some progress.

I go to bed

Wake up.

He doesn't. :(

RIP

Zep

Banned
Wow...The last football game I went to was Eagles @ Redskins 2 weeks ago. My dad got tickets from a friend, and me and my boy made the trip to see Taylor basically(our favorite college player ever). Never knew that would be his last game.

RIP Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom