• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NFL Week 13 Thread - RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
wow.. this whole thing is put into perspective when you look at the title and realize he was born in the 80's.. holy shit that's young.

Damn, I went to bed and the doctors said he was looking good and might pull through. Then I wake up this morning and he is dead. Sucks all around.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
God how despressing it was to wake up and hear this news. Such a young talent gone, and for what? It makes all of this seem so trivial.

R.I.P.

woodchuck

I think his number will be retired for the Redskins. Everyone in the league will probably wear a #21 decal on their helmet.

BirdBomb

Banned
woodchuck said:
I think his number will be retired for the Redskins. Everyone in the league will probably wear a #21 decal on their helmet.

maybe all the skins, which they should, but idk about everyone in the whole league. i agree about the number retiring too, they should make it happen.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
i literally woke up to this news...

my alarm is set to a radio station and when i came to, thats the first thing i hear envy talking about... I hit snooze and was like damn i cant go back to bed after hearing that..... sad man

I am sure the redskins and any past U grads will wear his number

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
BirdBomb said:
maybe all the skins, which they should, but idk about everyone in the whole league. i agree about the number retiring too, they should make it happen.

Redskins don't really retire numbers... and I doubt they'd even unofficially retire Taylor's number. Ring of Honor is possible I guess, but even that's a stretch. Especially without even knowing the real circumstances of his death.

Gigglepoo

I'm really upset about this news. I heard a report on the radio this morning talking about what he had accomplished in his young life. I thought it was going to end by saying, "He's doing better today after getting shot." I nearly crashed my car after hearing that he had died. I feel so horrible for his family, especially his daughter. She deserves better than to lose her father to such a senseless crime. I can't imagine the pain his family and teammates are feeling right now.

BirdBomb

Banned
levious said:
Redskins don't really retire numbers... and I doubt they'd even unofficially retire Taylor's number. Ring of Honor is possible I guess, but even that's a stretch. Especially without even knowing the real circumstances of his death.

really? so none of the old skins greats have their numbers retired? you're right about the mystery surrounding the circumstances too, it seems to me like maybe someone broke in intending to shoot him.

BirdBomb said:
really? so none of the old skins greats have their numbers retired? you're right about the mystery surrounding the circumstances too, it seems to me like maybe someone broke in intending to shoot him.

only one # has ever been retired. But I'm hoping they make it two.

levious

BirdBomb said:
really? so none of the old skins greats have their numbers retired?

only Baugh... but no one wears Art Monk's number for instance.

LiveWire

BirdBomb said:

Only Sammy Baugh's number (#33) has been officially retired by the skins. There are some unofficial retirements, like Riggins (#44), but nothing official other than Baugh. Taylor's # won't be retired, officially or unofficially, and he won't be in the ring of honor. He will probably get some sort of permanent recognition in the stadium (placard or banner or something). Besides, Taylor had two #s, 37, when he first came to the Skins, and 21, after Fred Smoot left for the Vikings. Which one would you retire?

SonnyBoy

LiveWire said:
Only Sammy Baugh's number (#33) has been officially retired by the skins. There are some unofficial retirements, like Riggins (#44), but nothing official other than Baugh. Taylor's # won't be retired, officially or unofficially, and he won't be in the ring of honor. He will probably get some sort of permanent recognition in the stadium (placard or banner or something). Besides, Taylor had two #s, 37, when he first came to the Skins, and 21, after Fred Smoot left for the Vikings. Which one would you retire?

I disagree, this is a radical circumstance that doesn't come around often. I would be shocked to see him remebered soley with some wack special teams award. He needs to be put in the ring of honor or have the #21 officially/unofficially retired.

levious

no matter how radical the circumstances, he only played 3 and a half years, it just wouldn't make much sense.

LiveWire

levious said:
no matter how radical the circumstances, he only played 3 and a half years, it just wouldn't make much sense.

That pretty much sums it up. He'll be remembered approriately enough, I'm sure, what with Snyder and Gibbs both being pretty involved in Taylor's life. We'll see what happens this Sunday at the game. I'm sure I will see lots of 21s in the tailgating lots.

levious said:

I don't think how long he played is important at all. Just like it doesn't matter how good he was. The Cardinals retired Tillman's number (not the same scenario but I think similar enough for my point

EDIT: the deaths weren't similar at all to clear up what I meant I was talking about how the above quoted comment mentions lack of time with the team. I am completely aware that Tillman died defending his country and that is clearly a completely diff scenario death wise as Taylors.).

They should retire his #. And it would be 21. He's had that for the last 2 and a half years. 36 was his rookie year, but only cause 21 was taken.

levious

it's not really similar at all. Other than the death part.

edit: just to be clear, if they did do it, it'd be a nice gesture and I certainly wouldn't complain, I just wouldn't expect it. Maybe a huge fan outpouring could affect the team's decision on how to honor him.

levious said:
it's not really similar at all. Other than the death part.

Tillman's number was retired not because he played with the cardinals forever and was amazing, which was what you alluded to when you said that he didn't play long enough. My point regardless of how similar you think the two of them are my point still stands. (by the way I didnt say they where identical or that the deaths were the same, just that the retiring of the # would be similar in that it wasn't because of the length of time they played or their skills, but the circumstances.)

levious

I was only commenting that the circumstances surrounding their deaths were not at all similar. I understand what you mean though.

LiveWire

sableholic said:
I don't think how long he played is important at all. Just like it doesn't matter how good he was. The Cardinals retired Tillman's number (not the same scenario but I think similar enough for my point). They should retire his #. And it would be 21. He's had that for the last 2 and a half years. 36 was his rookie year, but only cause 21 was taken.

Oh, 36, not 37, my bad.

maynerd

Banned
Tillman gave up football to help defend our country. While doing this he was killed. He gave up everything for our country.

Taylor's death, while sad and tragic, is not on the same level.

levious said:
I was only commenting that the circumstances surrounding their deaths were not at all similar. I understand what you mean though.

Yep sorry for even using that example or at least not being more clear about what I was referring to as similar.

maynerd said:
Tillman gave up football to help defend our country. While doing this he was killed. He gave up everything for our country.

Taylor's death, while sad and tragic, is not on the same level.

Again I wasn't comparing deaths. I was saying Tillman's # was retired not for how long he played on the field or how great he was on the field. Clearly I know that Taylor's death and Tillman's death aren't on the same level. Sorry I even used that example, again it was in response to a comment about length of time playing as a reason to not retire the #. That is all. I'm well aware that dieing defending your country is on a completely different level.

SickBoy

Truly awful news to wake up to this morning... obviously there's been plenty said already, and I agree with it. Great player, and clearly someone who had come a long way in recent years.

To me, this sounds like a case of a guy who was unable to escape his past -- either related to the shooting incident of a couple years ago, or some of the bad folks it's been suggested he was trying to distance himself from.

ToxicAdam

Someone should make a Sean Taylor thread .. I think this story is going to be around for awhile.

I think the wierdest thing about the incident is where he was shot at. Almost a deliberate placement (near the crotch) to make point. Or it could have just been a random shot that occurred during a struggle .. who knows.

ToxicAdam said:
Someone should make a Sean Taylor thread .. I think this story is going to be around for awhile.

I think the wierdest thing about the incident is where he was shot at. Almost a deliberate placement (near the crotch) to make point.

I'm not sure how deliberate it was. I only say this because it has come out that two shots were fired, one missing him. So it could have just been a startled intruder or someone with poor aim? I have no idea. The details surrounding this though are certainly odd. I just don't think a robber would kick in a locked door, it certainly sounds like a hit more than a botched robbery. Especially given that nothing was taken and the telephone lines may have been cut.

RIP 21, very sad how it happend.

in other news Ricky Williams out for the season with torn chest muscle. Injury resulted when lawrence timmons stomped on him when going after a loose ball. (All according to sportscenter)

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
TheDrizzlerJ11 said:
RIP 21, very sad how it happend.

in other news Ricky Williams out for the season with torn chest muscle. Injury resulted when lawrence timmons stomped on him when going after a loose ball. (All according to sportscenter)
Jesus, as if the Dolphins' season can get any shittier... >_<

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I saw that happened, and I don't care for RW or however messy the field was, that looked, and WAS a cheap shot.

Redd

Rip Sean Taylor. Looks like i'm going to have to retire my Taylor jersey a little early. Was really looking forward to Dallas coming to Washington with Taylor in the line-up.........life's too short.

Rorschach

Sorry to hear about Taylor. I thought he was gonna pull through. I certainly did not expect to hear about this today. It's funny how I thought he had been in the league much longer than he actually was. He was so damn young...

Lonestar said:
I saw that happened, and I don't care for RW or however messy the field was, that looked, and WAS a cheap shot.
Yeah, they tried to cover it up saying he was going for the ball, but that foot went way out of its way to stomp on his shoulder like that. You could end someone's career like that, but I bet he'll just get a small fine and move on. Everyone forgot about ol' stomy Haynesworth and they'll forget about this because Ricky Williams is the ultimate villain!!!

I like how Williams is treated that way in the media and the NFL, but they suck Merriman's dick. The drugs Ricky was taking were detrimental to his performance. He should get a medal!

yacobod

Banned
not to sound a bit insensitive, i mean its a sad story that a young guy like Sean Taylor died, but it didnt really effect me one bit

im actually suprised by some of the ppls reaction in this thread, driving off the road come on, i could understand if you were a diehard skins/hurricanes fan and had some emotional attachment to him, but w/e

i mean not even a year ago Darrent Williams was shot dead outside a nightclub in Denver, and i dont think ppl made too much of a fuss about it, maybe that it happened during the offseason had something to do with it, but....

honestly i think if anyone on the current Chicago Bears roster was killed, i dont know how much it would bother me, obviously id feel sorry for his family, but i dont think i would be that upset about it

i remember when walter payton died in 99, it was my frosh year in college, i was pretty shook up, i think its different because walter payton was a childhood hero of mine growing up in the chicagoland area, i remember taking that pretty hard

yacobod

Banned
Rorschach said:
I like how Williams is treated that way in the media and the NFL, but they suck Merriman's dick. The drugs Ricky was taking were detrimental to his performance. He should get a medal!

you can thank nancy reagan for that, drugs are bad mmkay

looks like CP, one of taylor's closest friends, might be wearing #21 the rest of the season? Thats what they said on comcast apparently.

woodchuck

you know, if this was in Lambeau Field I'd be more confident about the game. The cowboys play like shit in big games at home.

The dallas crowd is retarded. They make more noise when Dallas is on offense.

also, Dallas Defense > Green Bay Defense

andthebeatgoeson

Holy shit. I just woke up. Sorry, Sean. This is so shitty. I discounted the reports that he was doing badly after seeing how well that Buffalo player do so great when there were reports he wasn't gonna walk. I was sure there was some type of agenda to overplay these bad reports. I feel so stupid.

jakncoke

Banned
Yeah I can't believe he died

GB @ DAL

Sunday
DET @ MIN
SEA @ PHI
SD @ KC
NYJ @ MIA
JAC @ IND
SF @ CAR
HOU @ TEN
ATL @ STL
BUF @ WAS
CLE @ ARI
DEN @ OAK
NYG @ CHI
TB @ NO
CIN @ PIT

Monday
NE @ BAL

I wish Baltimore was good enough to knock off NEP as I'm sick of the 16-0 talk.

After witnessing the average defense of the eagles almost destroying the self proclaimed "greatest team of all time". Greenbay may as well just make arizona and disneyland reservations.

woodchuck said:
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/200...-ratings/5809/

oh snap

greenbay defense is so much better then the cowboys. Therefore, brett farve will pick them apart with jennings and driver.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Gigglepoo said:
I'm really upset about this news. I heard a report on the radio this morning talking about what he had accomplished in his young life. I thought it was going to end by saying, "He's doing better today after getting shot." I nearly crashed my car after hearing that he had died. I feel so horrible for his family, especially his daughter. She deserves better than to lose her father to such a senseless crime. I can't imagine the pain his family and teammates are feeling right now.

Did you really crashed your car?

Edited: Okay you said nearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom