• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NFL Week 13 Thread - RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigglepoo

mckmas8808 said:
Did you really crashed your car?

I did a Whoops Swerve. I didn't actually cross into another lane, but I did a dipsy-do after hearing the news. It just shocked me.

woodchuck said:
cowboys 24
green bay 17

That's a strange prediction... This isn't a crappy, half-week Thursday Night game. They both have a full week to prepare. I expect more points and the Green Guys on top.

EDIT - I hope... last year's Thursday Night games were awful. Unwatchable. I'm super pumped for Green Bay/Dallas since they have a solid week to prepare.

AirBrian

yacobod said:
not to sound a bit insensitive, i mean its a sad story that a young guy like Sean Taylor died, but it didnt really effect me one bit

im actually suprised by some of the ppls reaction in this thread, driving off the road come on, i could understand if you were a diehard skins/hurricanes fan and had some emotional attachment to him, but w/e

i mean not even a year ago Darrent Williams was shot dead outside a nightclub in Denver, and i dont think ppl made too much of a fuss about it, maybe that it happened during the offseason had something to do with it, but....

honestly i think if anyone on the current Chicago Bears roster was killed, i dont know how much it would bother me, obviously id feel sorry for his family, but i dont think i would be that upset about it

i remember when walter payton died in 99, it was my frosh year in college, i was pretty shook up, i think its different because walter payton was a childhood hero of mine growing up in the chicagoland area, i remember taking that pretty hard
I'll never forget the day Walter died. It's hard to believe it's been about 8 years now. I took that pretty hard too, but like you, I grew up in Chicago and he was my childhood hero. It's also really sad to hear Ditka talk about him too, and especially how he regrets not getting him a Super Bowl TD. :(

J2 Cool

yacobod said:
not to sound a bit insensitive, i mean its a sad story that a young guy like Sean Taylor died, but it didnt really effect me one bit

im actually suprised by some of the ppls reaction in this thread, driving off the road come on, i could understand if you were a diehard skins/hurricanes fan and had some emotional attachment to him, but w/e

i mean not even a year ago Darrent Williams was shot dead outside a nightclub in Denver, and i dont think ppl made too much of a fuss about it, maybe that it happened during the offseason had something to do with it, but....

honestly i think if anyone on the current Chicago Bears roster was killed, i dont know how much it would bother me, obviously id feel sorry for his family, but i dont think i would be that upset about it

i remember when walter payton died in 99, it was my frosh year in college, i was pretty shook up, i think its different because walter payton was a childhood hero of mine growing up in the chicagoland area, i remember taking that pretty hard

Sean Taylor's a pretty big frickin deal. He made the pro bowl because a lot of fans like him and his play. I think he extends a little beyond just the Redskins organization and their fans. Like Walter on a smaller scale. That, and the shocking nature of the event. A kid in his prime, just starting to mature.. It sucks. For now, I can't think of such a physically impressive guy no longer alive . I really thought he would pull through as well.. RIP

Thurday
GB @ DAL I really really want the pack to win, really. But McCarthy says we are going to not look at this game like a playoff game. We will play it safe, because we have too many players injured, and plenty playing hurt. 3 games in 2 weeks is tough shit, especially with so many players getting injured.

Sunday
DET @ MIN Two words.. Purple Jesus
SEA @ PHI
SD @ KC
NYJ @ MIA The battle of the shitty teams!
JAC @ IND Indy looked real good at the end of that falcons game.
SF @ CAR
HOU @ TEN Ride the Dayne Train
ATL @ STL
BUF @ WAS
CLE @ ARI
DEN @ OAK
NYG @ CHI
TB @ NO
CIN @ PIT

Monday
NE @ BAL

Go Go Ryan Grant Power!

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80496298

Gigglepoo

I haven't read the ESPN Power Rankings in a few seasons, but I thought I'd give them a chance today. This was a great line, about the Lions:

"Reports have surfaced that owner William Clay Ford Sr. wants the coaching staff to increase the workload of rookie WR Calvin Johnson. On the flip side, head coach Rod Marinelli is demanding that Ford build a better-looking SUV."

SonnyBoy

soulja224466 said:
sucks that sean died, it sounds like his change of attitude was too late.

I don't think his change of attitude was too late, it was just that his past wasn't willing to let shit go.

Artie

Jon_Danger said:
Thurday
GB @ DAL I really really want the pack to win, really. But McCarthy says we are going to not look at this game like a playoff game. We will play it safe, because we have too many players injured, and plenty playing hurt. 3 games in 2 weeks is tough shit, especially with so many players getting injured.

Sunday
DET @ MIN Two words.. Purple Jesus
SEA @ PHI
SD @ KC
NYJ @ MIA The battle of the shitty teams!
JAC @ IND Indy looked real good at the end of that falcons game.
SF @ CAR
HOU @ TEN Ride the Dayne Train
ATL @ STL
BUF @ WAS
CLE @ ARI
DEN @ OAK
NYG @ CHI
TB @ NO
CIN @ PIT

Monday
NE @ BAL

Go Go Ryan Grant Power!

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80496298

you always bet on the pack winning, if you're in wisconsin :(

SonnyBoy said:
I don't think his change of attitude was too late, it was just that his past wasn't willing to let shit go.

i guess its all speculation for now anyway, just sucks that his daughter will never know her father. but thats life i guess, happens every day all over the world.

SonnyBoy

A friend of mine made this. Just sharing.
sean.jpg

Zeke

How many packers are going to be out for the game? Last I heard these were the guys that were injured Ryan Pickett (knee sprain), receiver Donald Driver (ankle sprain) and linebacker Tracy White (ankle sprain), cornerback Charles Woodson (toe), end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila (knee and ankle) and safety Aaron Rouse (knee). Not to mention they lost their nose tackle for the season.

Artie

Zeke said:
How many packers are going to be out for the game? Last I heard these were the guys that were injured Ryan Pickett (knee sprain), receiver Donald Driver (ankle sprain) and linebacker Tracy White (ankle sprain), cornerback Charles Woodson (toe), end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila (knee and ankle) and safety Aaron Rouse (knee). Not to mention they lost their nose tackle for the season.

The only one that I heard that was out was Cole, but he's been out most of our season.

Woodson had a similar injury with Oakland (he calls it a "jammed toe") and he play games on it.

Rorschach said:
I like how Williams is treated that way in the media and the NFL, but they suck Merriman's dick. The drugs Ricky was taking were detrimental to his performance. He should get a medal!

i never understood this either, it's almost as if everyone has forgotten about merriman's situation already.

Artie said:
you always bet on the pack winning, if you're in wisconsin :(

I know, but I am not getting my hopes up, seriously, the way mcarthy is talking it sounds like we are going to be keeping some important playmakers off the field.

It almost sounds like we are going to take the loss.

Who knows.

my buddy called me today to tell me about taylor and i was shocked. i know they said critical condition last night but when i hear "leg wound" i just don't take the condition report for what it is.

i feel bad for him and his family. 24 is too young to die over something ridiculous (probably money).

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
FrenchMovieTheme said:
my buddy called me today to tell me about taylor and i was shocked. i know they said critical condition last night but when i hear "leg wound" i just don't take the condition report for what it is.

i feel bad for him and his family. 24 is too young to die over something ridiculous (probably money).

is that bet real?

Artie said:
Eh, I'm still pretty sure Woodson will play. He sounded pretty confident he could in an article I read a few days ago.

:( about KGB

The cards are stacked against us.

but that is just what Favre lives on!

Shinobi

I think this one hits hard for people for two reasons. Number one, the murder of a high profile athlete is pretty rare, particularly one as talented as Taylor was, and especially one who's only just entering his prime.

And that kinda leads into the second reason...his age. Taylor would probably fall into the younger to middle bracket of average age in this thread, and on the forum in general. I mean he was born three years before my youngest sibling. There's a really cold reality that slams into you when you think about it in such terms.

How the hell do the Redskins approach the remainder of the season? There's something to be said about playing on, doing as well as possible in the next game and beyond for your comrade, but it isn't like he died of cancer or even got paralyzed...he got murdered in cold blood, for no apparant reason. That's gotta be a hard thing for those players to wrap their heads around.

Big-E

When I heard he got shot in the leg I thought he would ok but then I heard the bullet caught the femoral artery and there aint much a doctor could do when that happens. RIP.

Nameless

Ninja Scooter said:
Man, i still can't get over this shit. I can't even enjoy the rest of the season, i honestly don't care if the Redskins win another game.

I feel your pain dude. Non sports fans don't understand but we really get attached to 'our' teams and players. I would be pretty broken up if something happened to one our rising young stars like Pat or Vernon.

This whole situation is just shitty all the way around.

harSon

Banned
Thurday
GB @ DAL

Sunday
DET @ MIN
SEA @ PHI
SD @ KC
NYJ @ MIA
JAC @ IND
SF @ CAR
HOU @ TEN
ATL @ STL
BUF @ WAS
CLE @ ARI
DEN @ OAK
NYG @ CHI
TB @ NO
CIN @ PIT Steeler fan :) Born and raised. People seem to hate them here.

Monday
NE @ BAL

Gotta go with Cowboys on this one. The Pack is a nice story, but I just think the Boys have too much fire power and more experience in spots other than QB.

Jeff-DSA

I haven't read the thread, but has anybody brought up Ricky getting stomped on in the Monday night game? Shouldn't there be a fine handed out for that one? It was blatant and it ended his season.

I don't know if I'm more pissed about the stomp or the lack of the Dolphin players not kicking the ever living snot of the guy for doing that to a teammate...but either way I'm pissed.

Here's the video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=gQ13Sy52bQE

So blatant.

Anyway, we finally win this week against the Jets. COUNT ON IT!

Jeff-DSA said:
I haven't read the thread, but has anybody brought up Ricky getting stomped on in the Monday night game? Shouldn't there be a fine handed out for that one? It was blatant and it ended his season.

I don't know if I'm more pissed about the stomp or the lack of the Dolphin players not kicking the ever living snot of the guy for doing that to a teammate...but either way I'm pissed.

So blatant.

I honestly don't think it was intentional, they were playing on one of the worst fields ever, he probably was losing traction or something.

He is out for the season?! that sucks.

Well I sure hope they win sunday!

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Spectral Glider said:
Gotta go with Cowboys on this one. The Pack is a nice story, but I just think the Boys have too much fire power and more experience in spots other than QB.
Weird because I think that the Cowboys' secondary will be exposed, while the Packers arguably have a better DLine than the Giants and a MUCH better back seven. Still, this should be on offensive showcase.

If I'm the Packers OC, I'm drooling. Matching up the Cowboys secondary with Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, Koren Robinson, James Jones, and Ruvell Martin? Then throw Donald Lee and Bubba into the mix it could be a long day if the front seven of the Cowboys can be held in check.

This is going to be a great game regardless.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Jon_Danger said:
I honestly don't think it was intentional, they were playing on one of the worst fields ever, he probably was losing traction or something.

He is out for the season?! that sucks.

Well I sure hope they win sunday!
Why'd you even respond, he won't read what you said!

maynerd

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:

So blatant.

It's the stealers they are dirty, cheating, evil team.

harSon

Banned
Theres no way that was intentional. You think Timmons jumped over 2 guys just to land on Ricky Williams shoulder? :lol Not to mention the condition of the field... Was just horrible luck for Williams, unfortunately him lying around injured is probably going to hurt his already bruised ego and cause him to smoke once more.

i gotta say, and this isn't cuz im a falcons fan...that i think atl will beat st. louis this week.

i just have a feeling they have to win something soon....and st. louis has a 2-9 record, so why wouldn't ATL beat them

Jeff-DSA

harSon said:
Theres no way that was intentional. You think Timmons jumped over 2 guys just to land on Ricky Williams shoulder? :lol Not to mention the condition of the field... Was just horrible luck for Williams, unfortunately him lying around injured is probably going to hurt his already bruised ego and cause him to smoke once more.

Uh, you can totally tell he goes out of his way to step on him...he even pulls his knee up in anticipation of the stomp. It was mean to pin him on the ground after the fumble. It was dirty and cheap.

Enron

Banned
Wellington said:
Weird because I think that the Cowboys' secondary will be exposed

Man, i've been hearing/reading this for about 11 straight weeks now and it doesn't seem to matter much week in and week out.

Even if Favre has a big day, can you honestly say "Wow, Dallas is finally EXPOSED"?

I mean, they are the best passing team in the NFC for a reason.

It will come down to whose offense is better than the other teams' front 7. Dallas makes a living in the middle of the field. If the Packs' backers don't do a good job of filling up the zone, its over. Witten and TO will kill them all day long.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Jeff-DSA said:
Uh, you can totally tell he goes out of his way to step on him...he even pulls his knee up in anticipation of the stomp. It was mean to pin him on the ground after the fumble. It was dirty and cheap.

If you look at the last angle in the replay, it doesn't look like he's trying to intentionally stomp on Williams as much as he is trying to not stomp on his own teammate. If his leg had come down on the path it was headed, he would have landed on James Harrison. Can't blame him for what he did.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Archaix said:
If you look at the last angle in the replay, it doesn't look like he's trying to intentionally stomp on Williams as much as he is trying to not stomp on his own teammate. If his leg had come down on the path it was headed, he would have landed on James Harrison. Can't blame him for what he did.

I think this is the more likely explaination.

Plus, there's no way you can tell that stepping on a guy is going to cause him to tear his pec. Even if he was trying to step on the guy which is horrible, it isn't like he kicked him in the side of the knee or something. He should be fined and possibly suspended but I don't think it's the end of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom