• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official November 2007 NPD Preview Thread

theBishop

Banned
goldenpp72 said:
MS needs to drop the prices of the damn harddrives the next time the 360 drops in price.

The hard drive prices are what they are to prop up the pricing strata.

If drives were priced reasonably, everyone would buy Cores/Arcades, and effectively get the Premium for $50+ cheaper.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
BenjaminBirdie said:
Preferably way before that.

If MS is serious about DD this gen, they will. Sure I have enough room for RB, some XBLA titles, and maybe a few trailers, but anything beyond that requires at least 40 gigs, preferably 80. After a few albums are released, my HDD just won't be able to handle another RB. The thing is beyond all the hype and rumors, I don't know how serious MS and Sony are about DD this gen; seems to be more of a first step. I think this is reinforced by Sony's move to 40GB on the low end and MS's obstinate HDD pricing.

Clearly this model is sacrificing DD revenue expansion for current hardware revenues.

goldenpp72

They just need to drop the prices with the consoles in cohesion with the harddrives. Make the 20 gig HDD 40 bucks and the 120 gig one like 100 bucks. The fact is, harddrives being in consumer hands are GOOD for microsoft, it allows us to put content we BUY on them. If they want the xbox originals feature to take off for example, the 120 gig HDD will need to be a lot more reasonably priced.

jarrod

Banned
goldenpp72 said:
MS needs to drop the prices of the damn harddrives the next time the 360 drops in price.
Agreed. I want a 120GB for all those Xbox Originals in the pipeline, but not for $200. :x

duk

Banned
i'd like to see:

- 20GB @ $50
- 120GB @ $100

in spring 08, along with $50 drop in prices on all skus

Xeke

Banned
Maybe people just don't want the PS3, despite what good software it has/will have. I don't know why thats so hard to grasp...

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
chespace said:
What are the software predictions for Uncharted this Thursday?

Forza Motorsport 2 outsold Uncharted in the UK last week. :p
Forza 2 is being bundled with 360s heavily in the UK as part of the pack with Viva Pinata and an extra wireless pad.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Geezer said:
Forza 2 is being bundled with 360s heavily in the UK as part of the pack with Viva Pinata and an extra wireless pad.

According to Donny2112, they don't count hard bundles in the UK for software sales numbers, and in the U.S., hard bundle sales are a different SKU.

theBishop said:
6pg8lyt.jpg

---

It doesn't surprise me to see the 360 tapering off hard. As time goes on, 360's global weakness is going to become a liability. What surprises me is they have Wii going strong all the way through 2011. I don't see how Nintendo can keep their vastly inferior hardware (both in power and in network functions) interesting in the face of more advanced technology (and presumably games).

I thought you hate sales? Get a grip dude.

Geezer

chespace said:
According to Donny2112, they don't count hard bundles in the UK for software sales numbers, and in the U.S., hard bundle sales are a different SKU.
The UK bundle is outside the box, just like the old PGR3 ones, just like the way Sony handled their Motorstorm, F1, Genji and Resistance EU 60GB bundles. They do count.

chespace

Geezer said:
The UK bundle is outside the box, just like the old PGR3 ones, just like the way Sony handled their Motorstorm, F1, Genji and Resistance EU 60GB bundles. They do count.

So there are two bundles with Forza 2?

Because there's definitely a hard in-the-box bundle in the UK as well.

Dire

Kind of a silly question, but one I have not seen answered: How is the Wii planning to double sales? Have they doubled production? From every report, it seems the Wii has been selling very close to all produced units. It seems unlikely they would, or even be able to, double production for the holidays. So where are the extra half a million expected units sold coming from?

Geezer

chespace said:
So there are two bundles with Forza 2?

Because there's definitely a hard in-the-box bundle in the UK as well.
I'm sure that bundle ran out at most places a while ago, I certainly haven't seen it for ages.

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
FirstInHell said:
Wait for Motorstorm
Wait for VF5
Wait for Heavenly Sword
Wait for Warhawk
Wait for Ratchet
Wait for Uncharted
Wait for MGS4
Wait for GOW3
Wait for FFVIII

I am suprised that nobody is seeing a trend here.

You forgot March Madness.

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
GhaleonEB said:
Indeed. They are very different things.

MS needs to end 2008 with the Arcade at $199, the Premium at $299 and the Elite at $399.

That would only be a $50 price drop for the Pro and Elite. I think we will see a $50 cut before GTA4 and another price drop before Holiday 2008. So maybe a $249 Pro and a $349 Elite for Christmas 2008.

FirstInHell said:
Wait for Motorstorm
Wait for VF5
Wait for Heavenly Sword
Wait for Warhawk
Wait for Ratchet
Wait for Uncharted
Wait for MGS4
Wait for GOW3
Wait for FFVIII

you know, that wouldnt be a bad library to have...the first five I would obviously buy used

PS3 is 5 million units behind the 360 in the US. If it can't close the gap this holiday season, PS3 is never going to overtake the 360 in the US.

duk

Banned
The Experiment said:
PS3 is 5 million units behind the 360 in the US. If it can't close the gap this holiday season, PS3 is never going to overtake the 360 in the US.

I dont really think anyone realistically thinks PS3 will overtake the 360 in the US by end of this generation (or whenever MS stops making the 360, i.e. 2011 or so)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
sooperkool said:
why don't people understand the simple math that the PS3 can NEVER catch the 360 in NA ???

It's mathematically impossible.

I don't think many are arguing that- they are arguing that the PS3 can overtake 360 worldwide. While there is certainly a chance, those people are drastically overestimating the amount of success PS3 is having in Europe and Japan IMO.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
FirstInHell said:
Wait for Motorstorm
Wait for VF5
Wait for Heavenly Sword
Wait for Warhawk
Wait for Ratchet
Wait for Uncharted
Wait for MGS4
Wait for GOW3
Wait for FFVIII

List forgot Lair, but maybe that is for the best.

schuelma said:
I don't think many are arguing that- they are arguing that the PS3 can overtake 360 worldwide. While there is certainly a chance, those people are drastically overestimating the amount of success PS3 is having in Europe and Japan IMO.

No, people are still arguing it. They believe that MGS4, a game which only sells a few million copies at most, and FFXIII will somehow cause it to shoot past the 360.

Yeah, most people also think 360 sales have screeched to a halt in Europe. It isn't doing that well but PS3 isn't doing that much better in Europe to compensate for the increasingly growing gap in the US.

Mushashi

The Experiment said:
No, people are still arguing it. They believe that MGS4, a game which only sells a few million copies at most, and FFXIII will somehow cause it to shoot past the 360.

Yeah, most people also think 360 sales have screeched to a halt in Europe. It isn't doing that well but PS3 isn't doing that much better in Europe to compensate for the increasingly growing gap in the US.

PS3 doesn't necessarily rely on it's exclusives to beat X360 in Europe, just becoming the preferred platform for people to buy multiplatform titles on, of which there is some evidence in recent Euro software charts. Europe and NA have both similar numbers of total PS2 sold, so Europe can support similar numbers of hardware to NA in the longterm. Unless NA grows in global importance, discounting the rest of the world is short-sighted for eventual LTD of the competing home consoles.

duk

Banned
Mushashi said:
PS3 doesn't necessarily rely on it's exclusives to beat X360 in Europe, just becoming the preferred platform for people to buy multiplatform titles on, of which there is some evidence in recent Euro software charts. Europe and NA have both similar numbers of total PS2 sold, so Europe can support similar numbers of hardware to NA in the longterm. Unless NA grows in global importance, discounting the rest of the world is short-sighted for eventual LTD of the competing home consoles.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=215607

schuelma said:

So people are arguing that it will take the PS3 sales in three countries to equal the sales of the 360 in two? (are we really counting 360 sales in Japan?)

LukeSmith

Mushashi said:

Are there some recent European charts you can point me to? I just saw that UK one and that's it

PARANO1A

chespace said:
So how is Viva Pinata managing to sell similar volumes to Uncharted in its launch month? (UK charts) :lol

Walshicus

LukeSmith said:
You're looking at the same charts I am, right? Your newsletter, I can subscribe?
Do you ever wonder if our internet memes will be responsible for major and enduring changes in the syntax of the English language?

EDIT: I prefered it before you edited your post and made mine pointless. :(

sooperkool said:
why don't people understand the simple math that the PS3 can NEVER catch the 360 in NA ???

It's mathematically impossible.

It is not 'mathematically impossible' but it is extremely improbable.

maharg

idspispopd
Mushashi said:

If there has ever been proof that it isn't the fact that rose tinted glasses know no console war boundaries, posts like this have got to be it.

Sir Fragula said:
Do you ever wonder if our internet memes will be responsible for major and enduring changes in the syntax of the English language?
Well the internet has created hundreds if not thousands of new words, so why not cause syntax changes too? Language is always changing . . . but one of the things the internet will definitely do is harmonize differences between British & American English.

chespace

PARANO1A said:
So how is Viva Pinata managing to sell similar volumes to Uncharted in its launch month? (UK charts) :lol

Because Brits love Rare? :lol

rage1973

Even though Sony is struggling, Microsoft isn't exactly setting the world on fire. Having barely a $50 price cut 2 years after launching the console is inexcusable. If Microsoft would have been agressive with their pricing this year they could have put the dagger into Sony but with the new year they could still make a decent comeback. If Sony turns things around in 2008 Microsoft doesn't really have any weapons to fight back going forward. There is no Halo 4 to speak of and it appears Playstation 3 is going to have the superior library going forward and it also has the benefit of being the bluray player. Only thing Microsoft can do is release their next console in 2010 which is still 3 years away.

orio7

Banned
The Experiment said:

Depends on how long they're on the market. If MS pulls the 360 in 2011-ish and Sony launches a PS3 Slim for $199 around the same time then I can totally see PS3 LTD run circles around 360 LTD.

chespace

rage1973 said:
Even though Sony is struggling, Microsoft isn't exactly setting the world on fire. Having barely a $50 price cut 2 years after launching the console is inexcusable. If Microsoft would have been agressive with their pricing this year they could have put the dagger into Sony but with the new year they could still make a decent comeback. If Sony turns things around in 2008 Microsoft doesn't really have any weapons to fight back going forward. There is no Halo 4 to speak of and it appears Playstation 3 is going to have the superior library going forward and it also has the benefit of being the bluray player. Only thing Microsoft can do is release their next console in 2010 which is still 3 years away.

There will be some pretty big games next year on 360, at least on the 1st party horizon.

3rd party will be no slouch either.

Price cuts is a strange science altogether. Slash the price too much and you may undermine consumer confidence and hurt your bottom line. Don't cut the price for too long and you're seen as milking old tech... it really is just a case by case basis.

rage1973 said:
If Microsoft would have been agressive with their pricing this year they could have put the dagger into Sony but with the new year they could still make a decent comeback. If Sony turns things around in 2008 Microsoft doesn't really have any weapons to fight back going forward. There is no Halo 4 to speak of and it appears Playstation 3 is going to have the superior library going forward and it also has the benefit of being the bluray player. Only thing Microsoft can do is release their next console in 2010 which is still 3 years away.
I agree that MS could have gone for the kill with a deeper price cut . . . but they want to make money too . . . and they had to deal with that massive RRoD charge.

But I disagree that they have nothing to fight back with . . . how about two episodes of exclusive GTA IV downloadable content? Alan Wake. Banjo. Gears of War 2? And they can always buy some more third party exclusives.

Top Bottom