• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Sept 2008 NPD Results

ChrisGoldstein said:
It's a fucking shame Lost Odyssey (generic and boring) has sold so much
Have to disagree... I thought Lost Odyssey was fantastic. Though I can understand people not being into it if they aren't fans of old school JRPG.

That said, I'd like all of them to sell better to ensure a strong continuation of the genre.

gkryhewy

ChrisGoldstein said:
I hope it does well on ps3 when it's ported.

How is Eternal Sonata doing so far? My guess would be worse than the 360 version.

EDIT: Oh, it's not out yet :lol Well, that'll be interesting.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Did a quick search, no Wario or Sonic Chronicles (yeah...) numbers, hm. I'm curious about those.

vanguardian1 said:
Considering the whole situation, I think that it isn't easy to say either way. Probably the safe assumption would be that it would sell about the same as last year.
Sho_Nuff82 said:
NemesisPrime said:
ROFL.... I think we will see the 360 sell ridiculous numbers this XMas (but still not Wii levels :)
I don't see what's so off about vanguardian's suggestion. Last year the price drop gave X360 a boost, then for most of 2008 it's behaved very similarly to what it did in 2007. Now instead of repeating the "we need a price drop" part of the cycle, it will be repeating the "we just had a price drop" part of the cycle.

gkryhewy

JoshuaJSlone said:
I don't see what's so off about vanguardian's suggestion. Last year the price drop gave X360 a boost, then for most of 2008 it's behaved very similarly to what it did in 2007. Now instead of repeating the "we need a price drop" part of the cycle, it will be repeating the "we just had a price drop" part of the cycle.

I thought it was tracking ~20% higher than last year - if that trend continues, 20% over last year's Oct-Dec is a lot of additional consoles.

Rolf NB

gkrykewy said:
How is Eternal Sonata doing so far? My guess would be worse than the 360 version.

EDIT: Oh, it's not out yet :lol Well, that'll be interesting.
Eternal Sonata PS3 has already commited pre-birth suicide in the west with a)a demo (last week on PSN) and b)a trailer (on PSN this week). It's Tri-Ace, so it should have been expected to suck anyway, but any blind optimism that the game could be anything but complete trash can easily be washed away by consuming these two bits of evidence.

Tales Of Vesperia on the other hand I definitely want. Symphonia has entertained me well in the past, so my faith in the series is strong. I hope it does get ported, and soon.

gkryhewy

bcn-ron said:
Eternal Sonata PS3 has already commited pre-birth suicide in the west with a)a demo (last week on PSN) and b)a trailer (on PSN this week). It's Tri-Ace, so it should have been expected to suck anyway, but any blind optimism that the game could be anything but complete trash can easily be washed away by consuming these two bits of evidence.

Tales Of Vesperia on the other hand I definitely want. Symphonia has entertained me well in the past, so my faith in the series is strong. I hope it does get ported, and soon.

*shrug* I liked the 360 demo quite a bit. It's a beautiful game, even if linear and short. It's on my to-play list.

People seem to think the $200 360 is going to make a big difference this holiday season, but I'm skeptical. I have a feeling Nintendo is going to unload an incredible ass whooping of consoles in the coming months, of course not enough to 100% fulfill the insane demand, but so damned many that of those people that don't get a Wii, there won't be enough of them that go buy 360's to make any noticeable difference in the total 360's sold.

sonitii

bcn-ron said:

tri-Crescendo you mean right?

Gaborn

Soka said:
People seem to think the $200 360 is going to make a big difference this holiday season, but I'm skeptical. I have a feeling Nintendo is going to unload an incredible ass whooping of consoles in the coming months, of course not enough to 100% fulfill the insane demand, but so damned many that of those people that don't get a Wii, there won't be enough of them that go buy 360's to make any noticeable difference in the total 360's sold.

Well it will "help" in that it will sell more units for it than it would have if they hadn't lowered the price, but anyone who's expecting it to be a game changer or come within 400k of the Wii is craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy. (errr.. come within 400k during December that is, November it should be within 400k... barely)

Rolf NB

drthkid said:
tri-Crescendo you mean right?
Probably, maybe. They are closely related anyway. The ES battle system is almost the same as VP2's, and that's not where the similarities end.

I miss the old NPD threads when there were actually people still arguing the PS3/360 would catch up to the Wii in sales. Those were some epic meltdowns. Now I think just about everyone knows that the Wii is going to remain on top this generation, and I just miss all the meltdowns :(

I can't wait till next gen.

Opiate said:
Got some numbers for you, Matt. Last quarter:

PS3: 22.8 million units of software shipped.
Wii: 40.4 million units of software shipped.

Microsoft does not release quarterly software shipment figures, but their analysis does explicitly state that last quarter (that is, Apr-Jun 08) saw more software shipments than the same time last year. In other words, it is practically impossible that the 360 sold less software last quarter than the PS3 did. It very likely sold considerably more.

Using those conservative estimates (PS3 = 360 software sales), we get a total of 45.6 million PS3/360 software units shipped, and 40.4 million Wii software units shipped. I wouldn't be surprised if the PS3/360 total were closer to 50 or 55 million, but even with my very conservative estimates, Ps3/360 is still shipping more software.

Thanks for the good data. I would guess that it's more in the 55 million ballpark since 360 software probably sells around 50% better, which means that Wii owners buy around 3/4 as many games as the average PS360 owner, which is actually very impressive considering how much more casual it skews.

perfectchaos007 said:
I miss the old NPD threads when there were actually people still arguing the PS3/360 would catch up to the Wii in sales. Those were some epic meltdowns. Now I think just about everyone knows that the Wii is going to remain on top this generation, and I just miss all the meltdowns :(

What pisses me off is that most of the meltdowners just sneak away after repeatedly insisting that Nintendo can't win. They never actually face the
Wii
Music.

Jokeropia

dammitmattt said:
Thanks for the good data. I would guess that it's more in the 55 million ballpark since 360 software probably sells around 50% better, which means that Wii owners buy around 3/4 as many games as the average PS360 owner
No it doesn't. It means (assuming that the estimated 360 figure is correct) that Wii owners as a whole bought around 75% (3/4) as many games as the PS3 + 360 owners as a whole last quarter, and since the Wii owners were around 80% as many as PS3 + 360 owners during that time, the average owners' buying rates are much more similar.

AirBrian

perfectchaos007 said:

Well, there's always the 360 vs. PS3 fight!

Gaborn

perfectchaos007 said:
The bitter tears, it's not the same man, it's not the same...

The battle for second place is always a little less interesting than if there's a question at the top, which, there's not and (99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999%) there won't be this generation.

ChrisGoldstein said:
It's a fucking shame Lost Odyssey (generic and boring) has sold so much and ToV is such a classic and is seeing these kinds of sales.

Too bad they won't bundle a JRPG in North America.

clashfan

harSon said:
You really think the Xbox 360 is going to sale less then 2006 or 2007 with a much more affordable price point and an equally solid lineup of games?

I actually think the 360 may sell worse this year because of the poor economy.

Threi

notag
ChrisGoldstein said:
It's a fucking shame Lost Odyssey (generic and boring) has sold so much and ToV is such a classic and is seeing these kinds of sales.

blame the 360 userbase.

I don't even know why devs try when the demographic doesn't want it.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
yoopoo said:
Facebreaker only sold 52k on the two version combined. And this was advertised heavily too.

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/eas-facebreaker-tkod-sells-just-52k/?biz=1

It wasnt a bad game, I liked the option of Dling free boxers...I got the Joker and Obama.

Still I just rented it.

They need to stop releasing so many games in the fall, spread them out thruout the year. Iirc Rainbow Six Vegas and Army of Two sold great. Now had they released in the fall and not in march they would not have had as much success.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Threi said:
blame the 360 userbase.

I don't even know why devs try when the demographic doesn't want it.

:lol

0 Marketing, 0 hype. How would it be any different on the PS3 for example?

In any case, it's not like Kiddie looking RPGs have been huge hits in the west in the past, some of you have the wrong idea.

Demand for that kind of game is at an all time low. How about they start making that art a bit more badass and appealing?

Imagine an animated movie with that kind of artstyle, 0 marketing, being put in cinema theatres.

Yeah, i'm sure it would lit the box office on fire. :lol :lol :lol

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
:lol

0 Marketing, 0 hype. How would it be any different on the PS3 for example?

In any case, it's not like Kiddie looking RPGs have been huge hits in the west in the past, some of you have the wrong idea.

Demand for that kind of game is at an all time low. How about they start making that art a bit more badass and appealing?

Imagine an animated movie with that kind of artstyle, 0 marketing, being put in cinema theatres.

Yeah, i'm sure it would lit the box office on fire. :lol :lol :lol
Naruto, Bleach, Avatar the Last Airbender?

Eastern art styles don't seem to have a problem finding an audience in America except on the 360

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Count Dookkake said:
What pisses me off is that most of the meltdowners just sneak away after repeatedly insisting that Nintendo can't win. They never actually face the
Wii
Music.
Maybe we should commandeer this pic from the OT board for such uses:

1zxxx87.jpg

gkryhewy

Eastern art styles don't seem to have a problem finding an audience in America except on the 360

:lol Uh huh. I hope you post on the subject when JRPGs start getting released on the PS3. Let's see what happens with Eternal Sonata and Valkyria Chronicles in the US. And then in 2011 or whatever when the next JRPG after those is released.

There's still that Tales of Whatever due for the Wii. If that doesn't do anything worth a damn maybe we should consider blaming Namco for doing zero marketing for any of their games?(sans SCIV)

Abyss bombed hardcore and that wasn't just because it released on the same day as FFXII.

909er

Funny how those games had, like, popular animes before they released. Wonder if that could possibly have influenced sales?

WrikaWrek

Banned

Wait. Are we talking about free cartoons? :lol You always bring awesome examples. If you were talking about the games based on the licenses...well, wow, popular license sells, news at eleven.

And yeah, Naruto on the 360 sold well, DMC4 too, etc. It's not that eastern art styles don't sell, is just that hey, kiddie looking stuff like Vesperia probably won't sell well with marketing, let alone without it.

m3k

909er said:
Funny how those games had, like, popular animes before they released. Wonder if that could possibly have influenced sales?

WrikaWrek said:
Wait. Are we talking about free cartoons? :lol You always bring awesome examples. If you were talking about the games based on the licenses...well, wow, popular license sells, news at eleven.

lol what i was thinking

Hero

dammitmattt said:
Thanks for the good data. I would guess that it's more in the 55 million ballpark since 360 software probably sells around 50% better, which means that Wii owners buy around 3/4 as many games as the average PS360 owner, which is actually very impressive considering how much more casual it skews.

You and your fuzzy math. Never change, matt, never change.

Re: Vesperia, again, guys, 70k LTD (with 100k end-of-life sales almost a lock) is nothing to sneeze at. Namco has fucked the Tales series over in the US from the beginning, and with Vesperia they've actually made at least a bit of progress to redeeming the brand. (Though, again, I'd expect Symphonia and the "new Mothership title" for Wii to do better.)

bcn-ron said:
They are closely related anyway.

Er, in that tri-Crescendo used to do sound programming for tri-Ace games, and that they have similar names. That's it. :lol They don't share staff or anything.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Again, TOV outsold both PS2 installments of Tales so this argument in specific is pretty stupid.

I don't expect anyone to actually read the posts I make on the subject, though. I'm sure in another page someone else will post "LOL VESPERIA BOMBBA STINKA OMG PATHETIC PWNT" and we can start this cycle again.

ecierif said:
Someone clearly has not played Enchanted Arms!

Enchanted Arms wins funniest RPG this gen IMO.

Stumpokapow said:
Enchanted Arms, by the way, outsold Vesperia using just the 360 version and outsold every current-gen RPG except Mass Effect and Oblivion (and Zelda) if you combine the 360 and PS3 versions. (All US figures)

hahaha

This is awesome.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ecierif said:
Someone clearly has not played Enchanted Arms!

Enchanted Arms, by the way, outsold Vesperia using just the 360 version and outsold every current-gen RPG except Mass Effect and Oblivion (and Zelda) if you combine the 360 and PS3 versions. (All US figures)

hahaha

Rpgmonkey

Stumpokapow said:

hahaha

Ha, never expected that.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Stumpokapow said:

hahaha
:(

I guess it's not surprising, does Ubisoft distributed software ever tank badly?

Raw64life

Regarding Wii Play sales, next month is going to be the best chance for it to not show up in the top 10 for a while. A lot of big games coming out, and last year October was a bad month for it.

Raw64life

Namco's problem with ToV on 360 is that it's an overall worldwide bomb. Selling 150K in Japan on the 360 is great for Microsoft, but pretty bad for Namco. The reason Namco didn't mind releasing most Tales games overseas is because they were a lock for at least 300-400K in Japan. ~220K worldwide has to be the worst performance for a console Tales game in quite some time.

Top Bottom