• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Super Metroid (VC) Thread of Best Game Ever Made

Tarazet

Gary Whitta said:
Hmmm I think I'll give it a try. Could be a good week for downloads between this and Space Giraffe.

I really did miss out on a lot of SNES games - I was busy with the Amiga mostly, I think - so I'm wondering; is this something that will appeal only with the benefit of the nostalgia of having played it years ago, or is it just as likely to grab first-time players?

It grabbed this first-time player right away. No rose tint required.

atbigelow

Downloaded immediately after getting home from work. Haven't played through the game in over a year, and was able to get 1:24 finish time. I know some immediate places to cut some time off. It always takes me too long to get through Maridia.

And Brickroad definitely knows his speed running. I saw it in person.

Banned
Another thing for people that have never played the game before; there are some hidden attacks you can use once you have the charge beam, any other beam and power bombs.

Go into the menus and set it up so that Samus only has the charge beam + one other enabled, select power bombs as your active weapon, and hold down the shoot button to activate it.

There's different ones depending on which beam you choose along with the charge beam. I must admit that I've really not found much use for these, but it's just another one of those hidden techniques in the game that help make it great. (like the Crystal Flash)

Armitage

I first played Super Metroid in ... 2001 I think, so it's not just a matter of playing it when it's released.

I tried to beat it in one day. I really did. The problem is, I suck at this game. I can never remember where to go, especially in the last third or so. And I died in one of the absolutely most embarrassing spots.

It's still an awesome, awesome game, and if you don't buy it, I hate you.

andrewfee said:
There's different ones depending on which beam you choose along with the charge beam. I must admit that I've really not found much use for these, but it's just another one of those hidden techniques in the game that help make it great. (like the Crystal Flash)

That looks scary and awesome. I would have never found that on my own.

tnw

Banned
atbigelow said:
Downloaded immediately after getting home from work. Haven't played through the game in over a year, and was able to get 1:24 finish time. I know some immediate places to cut some time off. It always takes me too long to get through Maridia.

And Brickroad definitely knows his speed running. I saw it in person.

I finally figured out how to do the crystal flash short cut a little while ago. i usually ended up in the sakura flower falling room or whatever with waay to much energy to do a crystal flash, but there are some enemies in that side passage on the left that take away a ton of energy if you take off your varia/gravity suits. In no time at all, you'll be low enough to do a crystal flash! It was so exciting to actually do it :D

the power bomb/weapon wave beam attack is useful for quick killing the maridia mini boss.

R-User!

Downloaded this bad boy at around 7:30 pm PST!

So excited!!!....

so I tell my 2.9 year old kid, "You want to watch this?" He says "yaaw".

I ask him where the game is (which channel), and he points to F-Zero 64, and I go "No, here (pointing with my finger to the Super Metroid of Heaven channel).... ....my kid goes "there?..." and I tell him "Yeah, that's Super Metroid!

"Sookaa Matchoid?!"

"Yeah Super Metroid."

I click it, and the picture enlarges...

Then I say: "Ready to watch Super Metroid?" To which he replied, "Yea, wotch oopa maahtoid"

*room is completely dark except for the light from the TV*

I click "Start"

Game starts.

Silence. then, Eerie music. Then the title and accompanying sound and music.

We listen until the first game play demo starts, and I immediately push "A" so that we can begin the game.

I push A again quickly on File A, and I look at the button config options for a second... ...I get curious about something, so I use the In Game Manual, and within about 2 minutes, my kid is already whining about wanting to "watch dis" (referring to SM) ;)...

anyway, I start the game, and were both silent until after
I escape the Space Colony
, and while the Planet
Zebes
is on-screen, my son says to me, (without taking his eyes off of the screen, mind you) in a voice of Awe, Wonder, and I believe a bit of Tension and Nervous anticipation:

"Daddy?....."

I look down and to my left with only a slight head movement, so that I my kid won't look back up at me, and I simply grin at the delight that my son is now experiencing a Masterpiece of Entertainment.

one thing about Super Metroid is, I have played it atleast 3 times before this, yet everytime I play I always get lost at the same damn points.

like right now I am in
Maridia
and totally stuck.

Armitage

Linkzg said:
one thing about Super Metroid is, I have played it atleast 3 times before this, yet everytime I play I always get lost at the same damn points.

Isn't that weird? I can never remember what to do in Maridia either.

To tell you the truth, as incredible as this game is, I feel more engrossed in the Prime games, the original especially. Considering that Prime was my first Metroid though, that shouldn't came as much of a shock.

fernoca

R-User! said:

So excited!!!....

I ask him where the game is (which channel), and he points to F-Zero 64, and I go "No, here (pointing with my finger to the Super Metroid of Heaven channel).... ....my kid goes "there?..." and I tell him "Yeah, that's Super Metroid!

"Sookaa Matchoid?!"

"Yeah Super Metroid."

Then I say: "Ready to watch Super Metroid?" To which he replied, "Yea, wotch oopa mehtoid"

I click "Start"

Game starts.

We listen until the first game play demo starts, and I immediately push "A" so that we can begin the game.

I push A again quickly on File A, and I look at the button config options for a second... ...I get curious about something, so I use the In Game Manual, and within about 2 minutes, my kid is already whining about wanting to "watch dis" (referring to SM) ;)...

, and while the Planet
Zebes
is on-screen, my son says to me, (without taking his eyes off of the screen, mind you) in a voice of Awe, Wonder, and I believe a bit of Tension and Nervous anticipation:

"Daddy?....."

I look down and to my left with only a slight head movement, so that I my kid won't look back up at me, and I simply grin at the delight that my son is now experiencing a Masterpiece of Entertainment.
Awww.. :)

Dartastic

tnw said:
Don't go up! Go back the way you came to it, long jumping over the big lava. In the downward hallway coming to this area there was a room on your right with a pink door. There's enough room in there to charge up a shinespark back up to the top of the shaft. It's super cool if you can pull it off. :D

You can charge up your shinespark faster if you don't hold the run button first. press a direction and then press run, and you'll be able to charge in less space. it's key for the 'main street maridia' missle.

I already did go up... I'll remember to go back though!

VegaShinra

This made me realize how classic this game truly is. Anyone with a Wii who doesn't get this game is missing out on such a great title. The game starts off with action instantly with a boss battle pretty much. That's when you know a game will be awesome.

Haunted

Awesome game. Not the best ever, but a solid Metroid title. Awesomely consistent franchise, that is.
Hunters is the black sheep.

Linkzg said:
I remembered how much I HATE wall jumping, I hate it so much.
so true. :(

Vyse The Legend said:
Gary. Stop and think about that for more than 2 seconds.
:lol

Tiktaalik

I just realized are you supposed to get the hi jump boots before you fight Kraid? I don't think I've ever done it, but I just got them after fighting him, and I think I could have gotten them before.

tnw

Banned
Tiktaalik said:
I just realized are you supposed to get the hi jump boots before you fight Kraid? I don't think I've ever done it, but I just got them after fighting him, and I think I could have gotten them before.

The Jump into kraid's area is quite difficult without the high jump boots. It's definately possible to go to kraid first if you have the wall jump skillz to do it.

Red Scarlet

tnw, have you ever tried a No Boss/Mini Boss run? I haven't done one in years, in fact the one I did was before I got into trying 100% under 2 hours (so my play isn't as good), but it was the first real try someone did on the console. I did fall one item short (72 of 73%), but it was pretty fun. Give it a try sometime.

Here's the shortest part of my go: http://www.archive.org/download/SuperMetroid_NBMB72_divx/SuperMetroid_NBMB72_part2.avi

(wow, good timing)

R-User! said:
+1000000000000000000000000 on parenting.

Red Scarlet

Tiktaalik said:

I think you are supposed to go get them first, then jump up to where Kraid is, but you can get to him first a couple of ways anyway. You sequence broke! :D

tnw

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
tnw, have you ever tried a No Boss/Mini Boss run? I haven't done one in years, in fact the one I did was before I got into trying 100% under 2 hours (so my play isn't as good), but it was the first real try someone did on the console. I did fall one item short (72 of 73%), but it was pretty fun. Give it a try sometime.

Here's the shortest part of my go: http://www.archive.org/download/SuperMetroid_NBMB72_divx/SuperMetroid_NBMB72_part2.avi

(wow, good timing)

yeah, I really should branch out, all I ever do is 100% speed run. I hate that, I'll get to the end screen, and then just start the game over from the beginning :lol

WHY DO YOU HAVE TO BE SO PLEASURABLE SUPER METROID

Tiktaalik

tnw said:
The Jump into kraid's area is quite difficult without the high jump boots. It's definately possible to go to kraid first if you have the wall jump skillz to do it.

I would always blow up all three of the squares leading to the blue area that starts kraid's room and then take a running start and leap across.

1up

Mockballed for the first time and got the super missles and reserve tank early. I don't know what the hell it is about Phatoon but every time I get to him he kills me 3 times before I can kill him. It's like I'm 12 years old all over again with that crap!

I love this game. I've never been one to speed run, I love taking my time and exploring every inch of this game. I played for 4 hours last night before bed and am only just in Miridia.

Tremis

This man does his research.
Also first time mockballing. :D It took me a while to do, but i realized that the trick for the supermissiles is to jump just before you enter the door on the previous screen. i kept trying to initiate the jump on the screen where you do the mockball itself. maybe it was obvious to others but i didn't realize it. also, just bombjumped to kraid as well. sequence breaking is so fun! :D

Everyone that is stuck in Maridia (and I have to say this was an absolutely brilliant design move):
Power Bombs can blow up more than just blocks

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
VegaShinra said:
This made me realize how classic this game truly is. Anyone with a Wii who doesn't get this game is missing out on such a great title. The game starts off with action instantly with a boss battle pretty much. That's when you know a game will be awesome.

No, anyone with a wii that doesn't have this game should jump off a bridge.

Even in my sega fanboy days even I admitted that Super Metroid was an amazing game.

jman2050

Red Scarlet said:

(wow, good timing)

I'm almost positive that the item you didn't get is you-know-what (66), but with most speed runners I can never be too sure ;)

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
R-User! said:

So excited!!!....

"Sookaa Matchoid?!"

"Yeah Super Metroid."

Then I say: "Ready to watch Super Metroid?" To which he replied, "Yea, wotch oopa mehtoid"

I click "Start"

Game starts.

, and while the Planet
Zebes

"Daddy?....."

19.gif

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
GaimeGuy said:
So, what control scheme do you guys use?

(I mean button layout)
Y- fire
B- jump
X- run
A- item cancel
R- switch weapon (I got used to it on the GBA Metroids, it's preferable to select imo)
L- fire diagonally up

Dragona Akehi said:
Everyone that is stuck in Maridia (and I have to say this was an absolutely brilliant design move):

I was thinking of referencing another a
very
recent, popular game as a hint for that part, but I think I'll refrain

Chris R

How is the game length? Sub 10 hours? Only recently got into Metroid so I never had the chance to play this on my SNES.

This game got me to also replay Metroid: Zero Mission, and I have to admit that the controls and speed of Zero Mission are better than SM, despite having less buttons.
I especially like the speed of Zero Mission, it's faster than Super Metroid, and how you can enter a somersault by pressing jump in the air, or holding R for super missles and bombs.
After those two games, I'm playing Fusion, which is also fantastic.

:_( ...
I want Dread

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Dragona Akehi said:

For those who played Prime 1, remember how you got the
Ice Charge Beam

Ranger X

How many posts since the last time we did confirm again this is the best game ever?

Probably too many post. Here we go: Super Metroid is the best game ever made.

Glass Joe

Dragona Akehi said:

When I first played the game back in the day, this part really had me stumped, to the point where I think I put the game down for a couple of days. I was lost for hours, and although I don't remember discovering how to progress, my anger and frustration turned into a quiet appreciation, because despite it seeming really obscure, it just made so much friggen sense (I think there's even a few busted tubes that you come across beforehand). It sucked being stuck for so long, but it's great to have a game that doesn't hold your hand.

I actually re-bought a wii just for this download. I'll be buying MP3 too, of course, but this was the main reason I went back to the wii.

This is my first time through.

R-User!

JzeroT1437 said:
I actually re-bought a wii just for this download. I'll be buying MP3 too, of course, but this was the main reason I went back to the wii.

This is my first time through.

give us your impressions when your through!...

Nicktals

Banned
Quick question: I found Metroid fairly enjoyable (never finished it because i kept losing the pieces of paper I wrote the password on), but I never could get into metroid prime 1 or hunters. Should I still buy this game? I think I was mainly turned off by the perspective of the prime games. Just wondering if I should spend 8 bucks to try it.

Top Bottom