• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Super Metroid (VC) Thread of Best Game Ever Made

Mar

I think people should stop telling others that they have to do and learn hardcore techniques. Just let them play the game. Learning advanced techniques on your first play through can get frustrating and boring.

I didn't even know about the wall jump until those little dudes teach you during the game.

Spruchy

Mar_ said:
I think people should stop telling others that they have to do and learn hardcore techniques. Just let them play the game. Learning advanced techniques on your first play through can get frustrating and boring.

I didn't even know about the wall jump until those little dudes teach you during the game.

Um yeah except that you have to learn how to wall jump if you get to that part with the little dudes.

Red Scarlet

The main people talking about it have played through the game before. I don't see anybody telling anyone to wall jump up the Tourian escape shaft their first time out, nor do I see anyone that has not played the game before even talk about walljumping anywhere.

The walljump is my favorite move in the game. Shame the GBA Metroids pretty much require that you know how to do it, which takes some of the fun away. I'll probably never speedrun this game though. The only one I've ever made any serious attempt at was Beyond Oasis(after somehow losing my vids I lost all interest in it). I simply enjoy just tooling around and grabbing stuff as I see fit.

Also the hanging on ledges powerup was perhaps the stupidest thing ever in Zero Mission.

tnw

Banned
Mar_ said:

I mostly pointed them out because speed running (or should say copying speed runs of people like red scarlet) is really what elevated this game up ranks of my favorite games.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Game is TOO fucking awesome. Own it on the SNES. Recently plopped it onto the PSP so that I'll be able to play it when I'm overseas later this week. Just purchased it (and Neutopia!) on the VC.

AWESOME.

VerTiGo

Banned
I downloaded it and I seriously found it scary that I have every nook and cranny of this game memorized still. I haven't missed a beat. Then again, that's what happens when it's your most played game ever since 1994. Super Metroid is the greatest game of all time.

Aeana

sm-win.jpg

All done. The time was 4:02 (tried to take a picture of that, but it faded before I could). Not that great, but not too bad considering that I haven't played the game normally in many, many years.

Mar

Aeana said:
sm-win.jpg

All done. The time was 4:02 (tried to take a picture of that, but it faded before I could). Not that great, but not too bad considering that I haven't played the game normally in many, many years.

Nice.

I never did get 100%. There was one missile thing I never found, and I searched many, many times. Maybe I'll try again on VC one day.

Tarazet

I've never played this game before today, and it hasn't disappointed one bit. However, I cannot wall jump to save my life. What the hell am I doing wrong? I'm spin-jumping toward the wall, then trying to jump away from it. Nothing seems to work.

tnw

Banned
Aeana said:
sm-win.jpg

Awesome!

Now get that time down to under an hour! YOU CAN DOO IT.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
AdmiralViscen said:
Fuck wall jumping, I'm about to rip my own dick off
I was never good at it before, but I've been doing much better this go-round.

The key is to press the direction button a little bit before you press jump. I had always tried to hit them at the same time.

tnw

Banned
wall jumping is really like riding a bike. It seems impossible when you can't do it, but once you learn you wonder why you couldn't do it at one point.

I find really focusing on a back and forth motion between left and right on the d-pad helps. I'd never got this far in Super Metroid before so when I got to that section with those fucking annoying little show off gremlin things I was nearly drove mad. Took me about 10 minutes to get up, after which I went straight back down and tried to master it. Went all the way up and was pretty pissed when my reward was just another Missile.

Tarazet

Shig said:
I was never good at it before, but I've been doing much better this go-round.

The key is to press the direction button a little bit before you press jump. I had always tried to hit them at the same time.

Aha.. that, and one other thing did it for me. I let go of the first direction and let there be a split-second of lag before going the other way. If you shift as fast as possible it won't work.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Mar_ said:
Nice.

I never did get 100%. There was one missile thing I never found, and I searched many, many times. Maybe I'll try again on VC one day.
Same with me. I tried for 100% twice, even looked at a map and some FAQs. As a last resort I scanned every section of the game with an X-ray visor. Nintendo's far too clever, I think. Just today I found a missile pack hiding as a platform over lava, and the map didn't give any hint of its location (randomly scanned with the X-ray and found it). I never enjoyed things like that. It's fun finding them at random intervals, but it's incredibly frustrating when actually searching for them.

I just got a 92% in 3:32 playing today, although I did it on the SNES.

Tarazet

13 years and 7 1/2 hours later, I have to say this game lives up to the hype I've heard surrounding it since it came out. I love Metroid Zero Mission. I think it's a brilliant game with perfect controls, ingeniously placed secrets, and considerable refinement. Super Metroid is better. Lots better.

fernoca

Just got the(Virtual Console) game and..
WHAT THE HELL!!
THE GAME IS NOT IN FIRST PERSON!!!!!!!
DOWNGRADE TOTAL!!!!!

:p ..Love it!..as I did in the past..with the ROM.. :( ..never owned it.. :(

I think I'll try and run through this game before Bioshock gets unlocked on steam tommorow. It'll be like the perfect gaming day.

It sounds like hyperbole, but super metroid really is the only game I can think of where I simply can't name a flaw. There is just nothing remotely wrong with the game. I still get the theme from Brinstar stuck in my head from time to time. Beating the draygon is still a very sad experience.

It's miles beyond it's imitators and unfortunately none of the subsequent metroid games managed to live up to its quality.

Mgoblue201 said:
Same with me. I tried for 100% twice, even looked at a map and some FAQs. As a last resort I scanned every section of the game with an X-ray visor. Nintendo's far too clever, I think. Just today I found a missile pack hiding as a platform over lava, and the map didn't give any hint of its location (randomly scanned with the X-ray and found it). I never enjoyed things like that. It's fun finding them at random intervals, but it's incredibly frustrating when actually searching for them.

I just got a 92% in 3:32 playing today, although I did it on the SNES.

If you have the plasma beam at that point, there's an enemy positioned near it that makes it impossible to miss. You're talking about the room with the reserve tank, right?

Sullichin

Don't have a Wii right now but I thought I'd join in on the fun. Today I bought a wired 360 controller and I'm running an emulator on my laptop hooked up to my TV. I'm up to Kraid.

I've only ever played this game on an emulator, with many false starts (i've done a tiny first portion of the game so many times and gave up due to kb/mouse shittiness) and beat it once with my crappy sidewinder controller. I'm disappointed in myself by how little of the map i remember. I'm getting lost constantly, not even remembering what powerup I'm going to pickup next. Really, though, that's a good thing. Now I have a good controller and i'm playing it on a TV screen.

Wall jumping is one of the coolest things about the game.. why do people hate it?

Fuck, this game is so incredible. So good.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
AdmiralViscen said:
If you have the plasma beam at that point, there's an enemy positioned near it that makes it impossible to miss. You're talking about the room with the reserve tank, right?
Yeah, there's several weird missiles like that. You learn pretty quickly to scan an area with an item in it because half the time there's another item near it (which is why I used the X-ray), but even then, there are a few that aren't telegraphed at all. Two in Norfair come to mind, the one in the wall and the one in the lava.

TheGreatDave said:
It seems so un-Nintendo. I just went and played a little bit of New Super Mario Bros just to assure myself it wasn't my fault.

to be fair, you barely need to use it to get through the game, but its so annoying.

I mean, especially comming from playing Shinobi 3 with the same damn controller and it having a great wall jump system going on.

tnw

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:

Yeah, plus it's better come back and get that missle after you have the gravity suit. The lava won't hurt you and won't slow you down as much. Enter room, run shoot along bottom, jump into missle, get reserve tank, leave. It's actually one of the last areas you should go into.

Probably the missle I remember being liek wtf how was I supposed to find that was in the large room in maridia with the turtle like animals at the bottom. There's a random missle in the right side of the wall there.

wall jumping is critical for

early kraid

early speed booster (ie BUBBLE ROOM)

early wave beam (not critical I suppose, but helpful)

early power bombs (the one after crocomire although again not critical just helpful)

I use it to get up the shaft in the red brinstar area without the ice beam. Save quite a bit of time to just lay a power bomb and skillfully wall jump up to the top. That way you can collect the ice beam all together on your way down to fight ridley.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Ok. I admit it. I never got past 30 mins with this game due to me playing it at a friend's house back when I was 12! Not through lack of interest, quite the contrary. I just never got around to owning it legitimately. Sure I could've always back-peddled and sat down in front of an emu and gone through it... but it just wasn't right.

I loved Metroid Zero on GBA so I am looking forward to having this hit PAL VC.

I don't know what's worse or better.. having never properly played this game ever, or being able to experience it for the first time now.

Gary Whitta said:
Well I have no idea, like most SNES games I've never played Super Metroid.

Well, that's fine, but the problem lies in the SNES controller itself, which has far more buttons than a Wiimote held sideways.

tnw

Banned
Dartastic said:
Just got the grappling hook. OMG. This game really is amazing. Now, where to go next? :D

Don't go up! Go back the way you came to it, long jumping over the big lava. In the downward hallway coming to this area there was a room on your right with a pink door. There's enough room in there to charge up a shinespark back up to the top of the shaft. It's super cool if you can pull it off. :D

You can charge up your shinespark faster if you don't hold the run button first. press a direction and then press run, and you'll be able to charge in less space. it's key for the 'main street maridia' missle.

Duress

I remember I used to have a game genie and I hacked this game to get the
hyperbeam
and one shot all the bosses :p

Hmmm I think I'll give it a try. Could be a good week for downloads between this and Space Giraffe.

I really did miss out on a lot of SNES games - I was busy with the Amiga mostly, I think - so I'm wondering; is this something that will appeal only with the benefit of the nostalgia of having played it years ago, or is it just as likely to grab first-time players?

fernoca

Gary Whitta said:
Bleh I gave my CC away to my gf, looks like it's time for me to buy another.
Girlfriend or controller?
Because yesterday you didn't had a girlfriend!!! :mad: ...when you took me into your arms!! :( .. :p

Top Bottom