• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Tales of Symphonia Hype thread! (and questions answered!)

even though i am a sports gaming fan first and rarely do i purchase RPG's when they first come out, i have to get hyped about this game after watching a bit of it @ e3 and checking out this new IGN feature on it. i love the art style, and i hope more companies release old school traditional "2-D" rpg's. i'm not on a nostaligia trip when i say that (unlike sports gaming fans who say tecmo bowl is still awesome, then you go back and play it and it sucks balls), i can go back and play snes/psone,etc 2-D rpgs and they are genuinely better (to me) than new 3D rpg's. but anyways dudes, who else is getting this? FREE ART BOOK FROM EBGAMES! also, check out the feature from IGN, i linked it below:

http://cube.ign.com/articles/522/522693p1.html

I've been so in the mood after already playing the first two games when they came out, and i recently watched the first to DVD of the anime. I'm just in the mood and i can't wait till they come out

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Looks like a blast! For those that have played it, how does it compare to previous games in the series? I enjoyed Phantasia a lot, but I didn't care much for Destiny and thought Eternia was simply average.

I'm also still a bit disappointed in the lack of progressive scan, but oh well...

Cloudy

Banned
I really hope the story isn't crap cos the battles look so awesome :D

After this, I will currently have a WHOPPING three gamecube games :\ (MGS and Naruto are all I've got at the moment.)

Deku Tree

I'm so hyped for ToS!
The action oriented battles look awesome!
And I love the multiplayer option for combat.
I'm going to get my GF to pick up a second controller and kill some monsters
and she's gonna love it!

Chrono

Banned
I just watched some videos and the battle system looks great!

however.. the dub sounds, bleh.. I realize the characters are not adults, but this game's dub makes it sound like its' aimed exclusively for 6-10 year olds.. =\

Is there a feature for the japanese dub with english subtitles? or just to turn off the voices?

Rhage

I watched a gameplay video on IGN - it's kind of lame how they shout out their spells during combat. Reminds me of live action role-playing where they shout out "Lightning bolt! Lightning bolt!" or whatever.

Also don't care for the voice acting in general. Overly kiddy.

Anyone know if the original voice acting will be in as an option?

Mike

I am looking forward to this game, but could the plot be more cliche? I mean, wow...

"The basic premise is that the world of Sylvarant is dying due to the extensive depletion of mana (life force). Your party must travel throughout the world of Sylvarant on a quest to rejuvenate the world. You'll have to protect the planet's savior, the Chosen One, as you quest for the sacred seals. Only the Chosen is able to activate them, and once they're all opened she'll be able to ascend the Tower of Salvation. Here, she can awaken the sleeping goddess who will rejuvenate the world. However, on your journeys you'll learn that not everything about Sylvarant is as it seems."

Eric-GCA

Banned
Yep, the dubs really are annoying considering that Namco could have done much better. Its Teen Titans (literally since most of the VA's are the same, ie. Robin is Lloyd) without any emotion.

"I am looking forward to this game, but could the plot be more cliche?"

That was pretty much EGM's biggest qualm with the game. I don't really get bothered by cliche'd plots as long as they're done right (see Skies of Arcadia).

Chrono

Banned
Mike said:
I am looking forward to this game, but could the plot be more cliche? I mean, wow...

"The basic premise is that the world of Sylvarant is dying due to the extensive depletion of mana (life force). Your party must travel throughout the world of Sylvarant on a quest to rejuvenate the world. You'll have to protect the planet's savior, the Chosen One, as you quest for the sacred seals. Only the Chosen is able to activate them, and once they're all opened she'll be able to ascend the Tower of Salvation. Here, she can awaken the sleeping goddess who will rejuvenate the world. However, on your journeys you'll learn that not everything about Sylvarant is as it seems."

One good thing about that is that the name "Sylvarant" reminds me of Sylvana, the airship from Last Exile and that kicks @$$. Just wanted to mention it.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The Tales series tends to have stories that are "no bullshit". There's not some huge, grand scheme that you uncover as you go along. You know what you're set out to do from the start. It's the battle system and the various twists and turns you take that make the Tales of series great. Not to mention the fact that they're usually very well done on the technical side of things. Even Tales of Phantasia for the SNES had voice acting and a vocal song in it.

Tales of Symphonia's overall premise is very cliche, but, from what I've heard, the way you go through the game, and the things that happen along the way, are not.

EDIT: And yes, there is an option to turn off voices in cutscenes and dialogue.

JavyOO7

How does ToS compare to Phantasia? Because man, I'm itching to get Symphonia.

Is the music great stuff, too? Because the battle theme for Phantasia was badass.

Eric-GCA

Banned
Well, the main battle theme I loved from ToP "Fighting of Spirit" has been remixed in ToS, so thats what matters most to me.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Man I bought a Freeloader for this game, import import import.

I decided long ago to go through Phantasia before I played Symphonia but I became slack.

Solid

screens4_b.jpg

screens3_b.jpg

Gorgeous. Just gorgeous.

To those who have played it:

So would you say the music is any good? Skies of Arcadia had a couple of really nice tracks that set the mood, and I'm hoping this game does too.

Is the game challenging enough?

ferricide

GaimeGuy said:
The Tales series tends to have stories that are "no bullshit". There's not some huge, grand scheme that you uncover as you go along. You know what you're set out to do from the start.
that doesn't accurately describe symphonia at all. its hugest problem is bullshit, especially towards the end of the game. so many dumb plot twists. however, as you say ...

GaimeGuy said:
It's the battle system and the various twists and turns you take that make the Tales of series great. Not to mention the fact that they're usually very well done on the technical side of things.
very much so. the battle system, the dungeons, and the visuals are what make this game rock hard. it's great stuff. it's not perfect, but it's very very nice.

JasoNsider said:
So would you say the music is any good? Skies of Arcadia had a couple of really nice tracks that set the mood, and I'm hoping this game does too.
it's any good. it has a few standout tracks. it is not sakuraba's best work (star ocean 3 has a vastly superior soundtrack. the golden sun games are better, too.)

JasoNsider said:
Is the game challenging enough?
i think so. your mileage may vary. it's not ninja gaiden or anything. if you've never played a tales game before, i imagine it'll have something of a learning curve. also, there are some slightly tricky puzzles. bosses can be hard. the last 1/4 of the game isn't very hard, mainly because you can really max out your characters pretty well. that isn't to say it gets easy, but it seemed to me like the difficulty trended downward.

Memles

The closest things to an RPG I've played are Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga and half of Super Mario RPG.

Is this game even worth considering with such little RPG Experience?

slayn

needs to show more effort.
when playing multiplayer, is there anything for the non first player characters to do when not in battle? Like if you're in a town can they walk around and so shit like in secret of mana?

the problem I forsee in playing this 4 player is that, people will constantly bitch while in towns and will lose intersest since they aren't *really* playing the game.

edit: nvm, found my answer... kinda sucks. People get bored easily if they aren't continually doing something. Just being able to walk around in dungeons would add a lot more fun. Especially since you can see enemies before the encounter. It would be awesome to have to get pissed at people if they scerw up and run at a monster that can kill us =)

but oh well.

ferricide

Memles said:
The closest things to an RPG I've played are Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga and half of Super Mario RPG.

Is this game even worth considering with such little RPG Experience?
of course. they made this game to be played by people of multiple skill levels. after all, it's a gamecube game. how are you going to learn how to play a game unless you play it? =)

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Chrono said:
One good thing about that is that the name "Sylvarant" reminds me of Sylvana, the airship from Last Exile and that kicks @$$. Just wanted to mention it.
Yay, Last Exile fans unite!

I am most definitely picking this game up.

Hopefully the multiplayer will be decent enough so me and my girlfriend can enjoy this game together.

Bebpo

Banned
trippingmartian said:
Is this the epic game it's going to take to get me back into RPG's?

Probably.

It has a better chance to do that than any other rpg released in the US so far IMO.

siege

Banned
Well, I'm officially hyped. Went and preordered the game yesterday afternoon at EB. I asked about the preorder bonus poster and art book - the manager said he would do his best to get me them. Wtf?

Oh well, hopefully they aren't that limited in availability.

eb should have plenty for those who preordered. i doubt the game is going to sell a gajillion copies, so you figure namco would have enough promo items available

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
siege said:
Well, I'm officially hyped. Went and preordered the game yesterday afternoon at EB. I asked about the preorder bonus poster and art book - the manager said he would do his best to get me them. Wtf?

Oh well, hopefully they aren't that limited in availability.
Preorder artbook?

WHAT WHAT WHAT?

Preorder artbook?

WHAT WHAT WHAT?

If you preorder the game, you're suppose to receive a "poster" and an artbook. I called ebgames headquarters and they said that not all their stores will participate in the promotion, or have both the artbook and poster. You're best bet is to preorder online in order to get both.

GaimeGuy said:
End Jonny's shameless plug/ advertisement for his website. ;)

If by "shameless" you mean "gratuitous", then I disagree. People link to IGN and Gamespot all day long. I link to PGC very rarely, and only in a thread like this where people are clearly looking for things to hype them up for the game. I think the only time I started an ad thread was for the MP2 Screw Attack video, which was something that no one else had (or had bothered posting), so I felt it was warranted there. Let me put it this way, I come to GAF to discuss gaming, not to push my site. But occasionally I can do both.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I was just kidding.

And I have been owned.

Anyways, Save the land of Sylvarant in 1wk 6days 7mins 19secs

AniHawk

Jupiter Jones said:
If you preorder the game, you're suppose to receive a "poster" and an artbook. I called ebgames headquarters and they said that not all their stores will participate in the promotion, or have both the artbook and poster. You're best bet is to preorder online in order to get both.

My EB's handing them out with the game.

Or so they said..

I'm looking forward to this a lot because of all the praise it got from Japanese magazines last year. Also, I love the art style like many have said because it lends itself to the beautiful world it creates. I can't wait to play this game and fully immerse myself, FINALLY!

But I want Baten Kaitos more.

Top Bottom