• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

old? Q3A demo ... raytraced

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I fail to see what's so demanding about raytracing, because it looks far from impressive to me.

Ferrio

Banned
DaCocoBrova said:
I fail to see what's so demanding about raytracing, because it looks far from impressive to me.

Download the video?

Basically raytracing is lighting done correctly. It's calculate pixel per pixel by tracing light rays from the observer to an object and then bouncing off the object accordingly and tracing it some more until for some reason it stops.

All lighting done on games and such now are just rough approximations of how lighting should look.

Read this for examples: http://graphics.cs.uni-sb.de/~sidapohl/egoshooter/

Bregor

Ray tracing is neat, but not as wonderful as some people think. There are algorithms that more closely simulate true optical phenomena, and the less 'realistic' algorithms currently used in consoles and PC video cards are making big strides in appearance.

When it comes down to it, CG will always be an approximation of what really happens in the real world with light. While ray tracing may be conceptually more elegant, if you can achieve the same results with other techniques that require less computation, why not do so?

Top Bottom