• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Once Upon a Time Season 2 |OT| Only True in Fairy Tales

Status
Not open for further replies.
iIT67Cp3YG195.png

What is "Once Upon a Time"?

The show is based on the theory that there is an alternate universe where every classic fairy tale character exists - a world that has a loose connection to Our World. On the night of her 28th birthday, bail bonds collector Emma Swan (Jennifer Morrison) is reunited with Henry (Jared S. Gilmore) - the son she gave up for adoption ten years ago - and takes him back to his hometown of Storybrooke, Maine - a place where nothing is what it seems.

-----------------------------------

What Happened in Season 1? I forget.

Following Emma Swan's return, Henry reveals he is in possession a large book of fairytales and is convinced that Emma is the daughter of Snow White (Ginnifer Goodwin) and Prince Charming (Josh Dallas) – who sent her away so she would be protected from a powerful curse enacted by the Evil Queen (Lana Parrilla), a curse in which she is the only one with a happy ending. It's because of the curse that everyone in Storybrooke is frozen in time with no memories of their former selves - except for the Queen, who is Storybrooke's mayor and Henry's adoptive mother Regina Mills. Emma refuses to believe a word of Henry's "theory" and returns Henry home, but then decides to remain in the New England town... this causes the hands of the Clock Tower to move for the first time in 28 years.

It's soon revealed that Snow and Charming - concerned for the safety of their unborn child - went to seek advice from the imprisoned trickster Rumpelstiltskin (Robert Carlyle), who told them their only hope is the child, who would return on her 28th birthday and begin "The Final Battle". The child, an infant girl, is born on the day the Queen enacts her curse and is placed in a wardrobe carved out of an enchanted tree — which takes the child to Our World, where she is raised by adoptive parents as Emma Swan.

As Emma stays in Storybrooke and soon becomes Sheriff following the sudden death of Graham Humbert (Jamie Dornan), Regina's antagonistic attitude raises her suspicions and prompt her to move in with Henry's teacher Mary Margaret Blanchard - who is really her mother Snow White. Regina's bitter rivalry with Storybrooke's wealthiest resident Mr. Gold becomes heated when she learns he is aware of his true identity as Rumplestiltskin and Mary Margaret falls in love with David Nolan, a patient awake after being in a coma who is in reality Emma's father Prince Charming. David however is married to Kathryn Nolan, the woman who was his ex-fiancee Princess Abigail - daughter to King Midas. Unable to deny their love, David and Mary Margaret soon begin a secret relationship that becomes public and upsets Kathryn.

Kathryn eventually decides to go to Boston and let David be with Mary Margaret - only to disappear before leaving Storybrooke, due to an effect of the Curse being no one can leave. Some time later an antique jewelry box - which belonged to Mary Margaret when she was a child - is found buried near the old Toll Bridge and is revealed to contain a human heart which is proven to be Kathryn's via DNA testing. Mary Margaret is arrested for Kathryn's supposed murder and is about to be prosecuted by corrupt District Attorney Albert Spencer (Alan Dale) when Kathryn is found alive in an alley. She reveals that someone abducted her and held her captive in a basement for several days but she managed to escape. When corrupt Daily Mirror chief editor Sidney Glass (Giancarlo Esposito) confesses to having abducted Kathryn in order to jump-start his career, Emma is not convinced and comes to the conclusion that Regina orchestrated the conspiracy.

Emma soon discovers that writer August W. Booth (Eion Bailey), who is the first stranger ever to arrive in town after she did, is from the Other World and that he is Pinocchio, who was sent to Our World through the same wardrobe that brought Emma to watch over her. But he abandoned her out of fear and is slowly turning back into a wooden puppet. Emma then makes an attempt to take Henry out of Storybrooke forever, but is then forced to reconsider when he refuses to go. Emma makes a deal with Regina in which she leaves but still visits Henry on occasion.

But Regina knows Emma's true identity and has retrieved her Poisoned Apple - the same one she used on Snow White - in order to use it on Emma in the form of an apple turnover. Henry takes a bite of the turnover, collapses to the floor unconscious and proves to Emma the Curse is real. Emma, who now starts to believe after seeing flashbacks of her true past, is forced to forge an alliance with Regina and retrieves Rumplestiltskin's True Love Potion from underneath the Clock Tower only to have Mr. Gold steal it.

When Henry is pronounced dead, Emma and Regina return to the Hospital to say goodbye to his body. Emma kisses him on the forehead, causing a pulse of energy to engulf the entire town and restore everyone's true memories while freeing Henry from the effects of the Poisoned Apple. Snow and Charming reunite with each other and Regina returns to her mansion alone as Emma begins to wonder why no one is returning to the Other World since the Curse is broken. Rumpelstilksten reunites with his true love Belle (Emilie de Ravin) and takes her to a Wishing Well deep in the heart of the forest - a well with the power to restore that which one had lost. He takes the True Love Potion and drops it into the well, causing a purple cloud to emerge and consume Storybrooke as the Clock Tower strikes 8:15.

Co-creators Adam Horowitz and Edward Kitsis Talk Season 2

Commenting on the repercussions of the first season finale's events, "Magic as we know always comes with a price and we are introducing it to a world where it has never been before and I think that’s going to have unpredictable results. It’s going to affect everybody this season because that’s what’s more fun." said Kitsis.

On everyone in Storybrooke memories returning Horowitz commented, "One of the things that’s interesting to us to explore is this notion that just because the memories have returned does not mean that the past 28 years did not happen. Those memories, the Davids, the Mary Margaret, the Mr. Golds, all those people, who they were existed and what they did actually happened and those are the things that will have to be dealt with."

The show will still bounce back-and-forth between the fairy tale world and Storybrooke, although there will be slight differences compared to season one.

Season 2 Main Cast
(Meghan Ory (Red Riding Hood / Ruby) and Emilie de Ravin (Belle) had both been promoted to series regulars for season two)

iBjwaf2oz64QX.png

ieMkLBufP8Gap.png

ibjzBQeTg3gIjw.png

i8ZerQoho0ml6.png

iere7eQsLIYCD.png

iHqZEFrVYlUMe.png

iKRcJ0JrKfps3.png

ifr4XodJ69P6a.png

Some of Season 2's Recurring / Guest Characters
(A Few Spoilers In Here)

Sarah Bolger as Princess Aurora
Jamie Chung as Mulan
Sinqua Walls as Sir Lancelot
Colin O'Donoghue as Captain Hook
Michael Raymond-James as ?????
Sebastian Stan as The Mad Hatter
Raphael Sbarge as Jiminy Cricket
Lee Arenberg as Grumpy/ Dreamy/ Leroy
Tony Amendola as Geppetto / Marco
Beverly Elliott as Granny
David Anders as Dr. Whale
Tony Perez as Henry
Alan Dale as King George / Albert Spencer
Barbara Hershey as Cora
Julian Morris as Prince Phillip
Jorge Garcia as Giant
Noah Bean as Daniel

Season 2 Promo Trailer (New Footage) | New Character Introduction Trailer (Spoilery) | Season 2 Trailer (Old Footage) | Season 2 Episode 1 Sneek Peek #1 | Season 2 Episode 1 Sneek Peek #2

GFh0U.gif

Subscribed like a mofo. So excited for my favorite show to be back! :D

Without question the best looking cast of women currently on TV.

Jennifer Morrison

EF854157098D2558BEE23E5A8B79.jpg

Ginnifer Goodwin

once-upon-a-time-ginnifer-goodwin-snow-white-abc-thumb-315xauto-31963.jpg

Meghan Ory

50504_294955563607_4985083_n.jpg

Emilie de Ravin

normal_015.jpg

UNNFFF. So excited!

I watched the whole first season with my girlfriend, and I was literally just shocked when I learned from your OP that the actress who plays Emma Swan isn't Elisha Cuthbert. I really thought it was the girl next door playing Swan the whole time.

69197d1313742406-elisha-cuthbert-elisha-cuthbert-latest-pics.jpg

Subscribed like a mofo. So excited for my favorite show to be back! :D

I feel the same.

I loved the Pilot episode, and thought it set up things well. The next few episodes took a while to get going IMO, but the episode where Sheriff Graham died kicked things into high gear, and Season 1 was great from that point on.

The end of S1 knocked things up another notch I feel. I hope they keep up the good quality, as they could do some great stuff from where they left off last season.

Can't wait for season 2! I watched the first season with my girlfriend and was surprised how much I enjoyed it. Mr. Gold/Rump is my favorite.

arumisan

I feel the same.

I loved the Pilot episode, and thought it set up things well. The next few episodes took a while to get going IMO, but the episode where Sheriff Graham died kicked things into high gear, and Season 1 was great from that point on.

The end of S1 knocked things up another notch I feel. I hope they keep up the good quality, as they could do some great stuff from where they left off last season.

Subscribed and agree with what you said Keyser. Excited to see where the shows goes this season.

And lol at Henry's other alias xD

amazing opening post. will be watching when it's shown in the UK.

a question about the season 1 finale,
did anyone else get excited by the prospect of Henry not being resurrected? I knew it was too dark and he would, but the small possibility of it not happening...would have changed the dynamic of the show considerably and made it more watchable.

I feel the same.

Yes, yes, yes. First couple episodes are crazy corny but once Graham died and stayed dead, it was evident that this wasn't just some happy ending fairy tale show.

And DAT FINALE. Oh my God, I've never felt more like a fanboy in my life. I was watching it with my girlfriend and literally squealed when Maleficent was chilling in the library's basement. Magic and werewolves in the real world Storybrooke? HELL YES.

It helps that I've actually been to the real life Storybrooke in Steveson near Vancouver. You can walk around the town and visit Mr. Gold's Pawn Shop, Granny's Diner, etc. It's such a fun day trip for anyone living in the Seattle/Redmond area of Washington.

Can't wait for season 2! I watched the first season with my girlfriend and was surprised how much I enjoyed it. Mr. Gold/Rump is my favorite.

Was still shocked that Rumple didn't get an Emmy nom for Best Supporting Actor. His performance has been critically acclaimed.

amazing opening post. will be watching when it's shown in the UK.

a question about the season 1 finale,
did anyone else get excited by the prospect of Henry not being resurrected? I knew it was too dark and he would, but the small possibility of it not happening...would have changed the dynamic of the show considerably and made it more watchable.

I thought they might write him out somehow - although death might have been a bit much. Seeing as Emma now "believes" - as do the rest of the town - a big part of the role he played in S1 is diminished, so I am unsure what they will do with him this season.

I am kinda hoping he gets more of a backseat this season - although he is still part of the main cast.

I thought they might write him out somehow - although death might have been a bit much. Seeing as Emma now "believes" - as do the rest of the town - a big part of the role he played in S1 is diminished, so I am unsure what they will do with him this season.

I am kinda hoping he gets more of a backseat this season - although he is still part of the main cast.

I think S2 is totally going to revolve around Rumple and Belle as the primary couple like S1 did with Snow and Charming but I think the magic in the real world thing is what is going to make next season oh so glorious. War is coming, Regina is pissed as shit and Emma is going to have to learn some magic is she doesn't want Regina to kill her. I keep reading tweets about people who say that Rumple is the primary villain but no way. Rumple is doing it out of love and power while Regina is doing it out of revenge and she freaking killed her own Dad.

If war comes to a head, I'm siding with Rumple and I think Emma would have if he didn't take the love potion egg in the elevator shaft like that. I think he knew her kissing Henry would bring Henry back and that she'd discover that so he had bigger fish to fry.

Tv Guide have a interview with Adam Horowitz and Edward Kitsis (spoilers in there).

Like this bit:

We can say that we are going to tell a back story of the character who, in a lot of ways, is like a new fairy-tale character because she is the daughter of Snow White and Prince Charming. We are going to give a little more backstory into Emma before she had Henry. Maybe go back and look at Comic-Con where we did a series of title cards. One of them had a yellow bug on it. That's Emma's card, and that was meant to signify a dip into her past.

Also,

Ginnifer Goodwin was on Jimmy Kimmel Live, which is getting some press

And,

Huffington Post have a Jennifer Morrion interview (more small spoilers and speculaiton)

Zalasta

Really like the new promo (along w/ Revenge and Park Avenue). However, I'm a bit apprehensive towards this season's direction because the original premise for this show is no longer valid. I see the magic returning as sort of a big reset button, except this is now a different place and a different time. Character's motivations seemingly remain unchanged from before the curse took place. How much will the events that took place in Storybrook factor into the old struggles, that is the question.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Thoroughly hated nearly every minute of the first season. Couldn't be more excited!!!

bjork

After being beaten over the head with OUAT photos on tumblr by my friend who is way way beyond your everyday fan of this show, I hope it's a good season so she's not devastated.

I'm so happy Red is a regular now, she's my favorite character.

I REALLY hope they are going to tighten up the continuity this time. This show is literally bursting at the seams with potential, but they need to have a solid grasp of their world. Last season felt a bit too haphazard.

Also, more hot princes please.

TripOpt55

Oh I caught up with this over the summer. Pretty good show. I will join in the weekly discussions now :D

Edit: My big worry coming out of the finale was that the characters getting their memories back or whatever would take some of the fun out of the stuff that happens in the current day town. Will have to see how that goes. Also love your description for the kid in the OP... haha.

KevinCow

Banned
I just caught up on the first season of this show. I was only vaguely aware of it before, so I'm kinda shocked at how good it was. Started a bit slow, but it really grew into itself throughout the course of the season. It really reminds me of movies like Princess Bride and Stardust.

I'm glad I decided to randomly check this show out in time for season 2.

Also the chick who plays Snow White is so goddamn adorable.

Samara

The only episode I've missed is the Beauty and the Beast one. is it worth catching up to it? She seems pretty important to him.

Lets hope the CG and fight scenes have improved. The Pinochio episode had the best use of CG, those castle scenes on the other hand....

This season theme I suppose is "who's Henry's father"...
it's Glen Keane right?
lmao

I'm instantly afraid to watch anything on ABC...kinda that fear people have of playing a serious/mature game on Nintendo systems (they hardly exist). Is my fear unfounded? Because the entire premise of this show sounds great.

ag-my001

The only episode I've missed is the Beauty and the Beast one. is it worth catching up to it? She seems pretty important to him.

Lets hope the CG and fight scenes have improved. The Pinochio episode had the best use of CG, those castle scenes on the other hand....

This season theme I suppose is "who's Henry's father"...
it's Glen Keane right?
lmao

Definitely. It rounds out Rump/Gold's character in a great way and lays the foundation for that last big scene in the finale. Plus it is a nice twist on the classic tale instead of being a straight adaptation. I liked those episodes the most (especially the Red one).

Ohwiseone

Beauty and the Beast episode is widely regarded as one of the best episodes of last season.

(It helps that it was written by Jane Espenson (Game of Thrones writer).

and its Emile de Raven is bells yellow dress, so that helps too.

Prologue

I saw a promo of this show the other day for the first time. I really dig the style. Would have to start with season 1 though.

Karak

Hi. Does anyone have a good episode number when Season 1 really gets going? I just watched the Cricket episode and...the show still is pretty bad. Chaotic, some poor writing, and so forth. I am giving it a chance though. I know many shows like this take a great deal of time to get started.

I really want to like this.

Oh I do have to add that the Mayor is smoking. Smoking in a way that should not be acceptable on a show that doesn't show up on Cinamax. My lord.
Lana-Parrilla-once-upon-a-time-32199880-600-490.jpg

Ohwiseone

Hi. Does anyone have a good episode number when Season 1 really gets going? I just watched the Cricket episode and...the show still is pretty bad. Chaotic, some poor writing, and so forth. I am giving it a chance though. I know many shows like this take a great deal of time to get started.

Oh I do have to add that the Mayor is smoking. Smoking in a way that should not be acceptable on a show that doesn't show up on Cinamax. My lord.

It does get better, I believe around episode 7 a big thing happens and then the show takes off and it gets better.

everything between 1-7 is a bit rough.

ag-my001

Episode 7 is when several things really start moving, but then it seems like some filler. I really liked 13-15 for their takes on particular stories, and 17/18 through the end is when the main plot kicks into high gear and doesn't stop.

Edit: Forgot Episode 12, which was really good on its own and sets up (seemingly) major things for season 2.

Lana-Parrilla-once-upon-a-time-32199880-600-490.jpg

episode 6 or7 imo.

Here is Lana Parrilla talking about Season 1, Episode 7 (for those still considering watching the show as a whole). This is widely thought of as the episode where 'shit gets real'

BTW, I cut out any possible spoilers from the quote.

“It was in the seventh episode — the ‘Huntsman’ episode — and I was working with Jamie Dornan, who plays the Huntsman. It was the moment where he brings me ----SPOILER--- and I’m yelling at him in his face and I was so angry — I literally felt the vein in my forehead was popping out of my head and my eyes were just blood red. Blood red!” she exclaims. “And I was just spitting in his face I was so angry. And then they called cut and I looked at Jamie and said, ‘Who the hell was that?’

“He was like, ‘I don’t know but you scared the living crap out of me.’

“And I was like, ‘I scared the living crap out of myself!’

“It’s hard for an actor to be objective while looking at yourself but there’s been a couple moments where I was like, ‘that’s the character.’
”​

Kaladin

I watched the first season on Netflix instant over the last two weeks. I think I'm hooked. This long previously on episode is going to take forever.

ivysaur12

Banned
Guess I'll be watching this for the first time since the 4th episode (I have to stay pre-Homeland). Should be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom