• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece (Live Action) | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member
mUf1rwf.png

SERIES INFO​

Monkey D. Luffy and his pirate crew explore a fantastical world of endless oceans and exotic islands in search of the world's ultimate treasure to become the next Pirate King.

Rotten Tomatoes - 76% - 97% Audience Scores

4bVhc8i.png

MetaCritic - 67/100 - 77/100 Based on User Reviews

1EBtV8q.png

Release Times:

xODEHM8.png

Trailers

Last edited:

Yoboman

Just got throufh episode 4 and really enjoying it so far. A lot of fun, great casting, some interesting changes but nothing fundamental. The heart of One Piece is definitely there

So far, surprisingly, the absolute stand out is Luffy. The actor is just a joy to watch. Natural blend of charisma and boyish charm which Luffy needs. I'm actually amazed they did so well casting Luffy as it was always going to be the hardest bit. And surprising as he was the most concerning in the early trailers. Crew casting definitely strong overall

The casting for Buggy as well was just inspired.

Visually it's stunning, effects are great. Even the CG stretching looks good more often than not. A lot of practical sets which look great. Some action scenes very good, some could be improved.

Definitely the best anime adaptation ever which isn't a hard feat but certainly not going to be winning academy awards so far

Negatives so far would be
Kid actors not very good (not too surprising)
There's a bit of "filmed in COVID" vibe that I notice in a lot of shows. Some sequences just lacking in people or being filmed indoors
It's a little on the nose with the "being a pirate is about freedom" stuff. I get its condensed format but for me this is something Luffy always showed rather than said

Best moments of the saga still to come which could have some make or break moments. If it's an example of first season and it's a success though I hope they get the chance to further build and expand what they are doing here

First two eps I'd give an 8
Ep 3 and 4 were about a 6. But it's syrup village which was always the worst arc in the franchise

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
I could tell from the attention to detail in the trailers that this was gonna be special. You can tell that the creators behind this really love one piece.

Its legitimately fun to see how my favourite characters, places and events are represented in real life. Tons of easter eggs too.

The cast so far has really done a great job. They're fun to watch. And the world has a great mysterious vibe to it. Like it's so refreshing not having a realistic show. Something not based on reality at all.

Action scenes are good, and the violence is a welcomed surprise.

GymWolf

Watched the first 20 min...it's still super cringe because one piece is way too wacky to not look ridicolous in anything outside of manga\anime but it is not as terrible as i was expecting to be.

Does the japanese dub has the anime voices?

Last edited:

DrFigs

I think the problem is that the actors are probably not good enough to elevate the material. It reminds a lot of twisted metal which just came out, where the writing and effects are really cheesy, but then you have a cast that sells it. I think this is the problem here, where it's just cringe. But it's not exactly bad either. There's some enjoyable moments in what i've seen so far.

kondorBonk

Ya know, for as impossible as this project probably was, they freaking nailed it. I've only watched the Pilot (Netflix's Binging practice kills word of mouth. Absolute idiots), but I was really impressed.

Anything translated to a new medium takes on different challenges and I think the changes that were made and the limitations they gave themselves all worked out really well.

Wildebeest

I think I'll see this for what it is. A brute force big budget introduction to the universe for people who haven't yet been able to get past the barrier of getting into One Piece.

jorgejjvr

I've watched the first two episodes, and yep, this is good and people should really give it a try. Awesome seeing the positive reception too

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Reading the Guardian review, it strikes me that critics might have seen one or two One Piece side story films as part of their job, but are totally unaware of the main manga plot of One Piece.

Kenpachii

Really really good.

It gets better and better. The cast is amazing the pacing is great and the story's are solid.

Liked the first episode, second was great, 3rd was also great.

Can't wait to watch more of it.

Batiman

Banned
Looks good. I’m happy my expectations were pretty low. I’m a sucker for pirate and adventure shit. Also I’m a OP fan even though I’m not huge on anime.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I was skeptical, especially due to Nami’s low bust size, but the first episode was a blast. A welcome fresh breeze from the woke shit that plagues Netflix.
Now the question is if i should switch over to the JP dub…

Last edited:

bitbydeath

I’m surprised this turned out a lot better than expected, hopefully it sets the path for more anime adaptations. Looking at you Dragon Ball.

A welcome fresh breeze from the woke shit that plagues Netflix.
You forget it was Netflix who sacked all the woke.

Horatius

from what i've watched so far this is pretty fun and a lot better than you'd think in a john carter or warcraft movie kind of way

like it's cheesy and overacted and ridiculous but if you meet it on its own terms its actually fun and decent

really helps that the showrunners, cast, and crew clearly love the source material and don't actively despise it like for e.g. the witcher and cowboy bebop people did

much worse than the manga or even anime tho lol

Had a real problem with the first two "villains", Alvida and Axe Hand Morgan were terribly cast and had zero threat or presence, so by the first ten minutes of Buggy I was almost ready to write the show off, but then they do the whole shounen anime level power-up thing on him and it was great! So it is possible for live action to make this work, I just hope they have more hits than misses in the future episodes (only just finished episode 2).

Nami and Zorro are great, but still not convinced on Luffy, the actor seems a bit gormless where as manga Luffy always had an edge about him.

Last edited:

Yoboman

One Piece never misses

Praying for a long running series. Just based on the story, Season 2 had the opportunity to up the quality significantly. By season 4-5 will be absolute peak TV if it's all handled rivbt

But you never know with Netflix

Yoboman

Had a real problem with the first two "villains", Alvida and Axe Hand Morgan were terribly cast and had zero threat or presence, so by the first ten minutes of Buggy I was almost ready to write the show off, but then they do the whole shounen anime level power-up thing on him and it was great! So it is possible for live action to make this work, I just hope they have more hits than misses in the future episodes (only just finished episode 2).

Nami and Zorro are great, but still not convinced on Luffy, the actor seems a bit gormless where as manga Luffy always had an edge about him.
Alvida and Morgan never had any threat in the source material. Both get one shotted in the manga

Raonak

Banned

I thought Morgan's actor was excellent. Had some gravitas to him without feeling too over the top.
And I love how they portrayed buggy. the budget joker angle works real well. the townsfolk being their slave audience is a great creative decision.

Doom85

Alvida and Morgan never had any threat in the source material. Both get one shotted in the manga

Yeah, if anything, the show made them slightly more threatening here compared to what I remember of their weak tier manga counterparts. SLIGHTLY.

Also, Morgan’s son was so well cast. Just the kind of sheltered snob you can’t wait to see taken down a notch. IIRC he does get some character development as the manga/anime continues and it looks like they‘re keeping it since he is shown among the ranks with Koby.

Also, I had forgotten No. 7 never appeared in the flesh before. Apparently Oda did have concept art of what he would look like if he had appeared so the Netflix show went with that. Pretty cool.

G-Bus

Banned
I’m surprised this turned out a lot better than expected, hopefully it sets the path for more anime adaptations. Looking at you Dragon Ball.

You forget it was Netflix who sacked all the woke.

It's kind of weird that One Piece turned out better than Dragonball. Who would have thought.

DBZ just seems like it would be way easier to do a live action version.

Last edited:

Doom85

Especially if they start with OG Dragon ball, where everything is a lot more grounded.

I mean, Dragonball Evolution did technically start with OG Dragonball, it just changed so much, had a shitty budget and was miscast, and even had the fucking audacity to omit Krillin (my 2nd favorite DB/DBZ character after Piccolo) that it didn’t matter.

bitbydeath

I mean, Dragonball Evolution did technically start with OG Dragonball, it just changed so much, had a shitty budget and was miscast, and even had the fucking audacity to omit Krillin (my 2nd favorite DB/DBZ character after Piccolo) that it didn’t matter.
Agreed, what a mess that was.

Doom85

Really? OG dragon ball is more magical/fantastical than DBZ, which leans more into modern world and science concepts.

I assume they meant the fights primarily. Honestly, that was another reason Dragonball Evolution felt doomed to fail, I dunno if the fights could be conveyed properly if the first film was good and they moved on to the Saiyan Saga. But then Man of Steel came out four years later and I see Superman, Zod, and Faora just speed blitzing around like mad lads. So yeah, now with a good budget and effects team, DBZ fights could be done right in live action.

Last edited:

Yoboman

It's kind of weird that One Piece turned out better than Dragonball. Who would have thought.

DBZ just seems like it would be way easier to do a live action version.
One Piece is wacky enough that if you lean into it enough then the audience accepts it. Kind of like Guardians of the Galaxy

Cowboy Bebop most of all failed because it was grounded. The rare wacky elements stood out like a sore thumb and they probably should have just removed those

Beyond that One Piece is just fundamentally strong character writing and world building at its core and a lot of respect for that from the show runners. I love Dragonball but it really isn't that

G-Bus

Banned
One Piece is wacky enough that if you lean into it enough then the audience accepts it. Kind of like Guardians of the Galaxy

Just watched the first episode and I totally agree. This is way better than I expected.

Now I'm wondering if they can fallow this and for how long. Shit gets pretty weird just introducing chopper, franky and Brooke. Then you got some of the powers. Like Robins.

Would be cool to see it live action and how they go about it all.

Yoboman

Just watched the first episode and I totally agree. This is way better than I expected.

Now I'm wondering if they can fallow this and for how long. Shit gets pretty weird just introducing chopper, franky and Brooke. Then you got some of the powers. Like Robins.

Would be cool to see it live action and how they go about it all.
Yeah

Alabasta should be doable even with chopper (probably CG and puppet mix), giants and logia powers coming in. Real desert locations most of the season will be easy enough

I have no clue how they pull off locations like Skypeia, Marineford, Whole Cake Island. I guess one budget saver is later seasons will mostly stick to one setting

How they will do Gear 5 if it ever gets there I have no clue. The anime had barely been able to pull it off

Last edited:
Honestly 100 more episodes minimum would be needed

The biggest challenge for the show might end up being the time scale. Luffy will be about 30 if it ever gets to the end in like 10 seasons

So far from what I've seen, this live action version is more comparable to One Pace/One Piece Kai, almost to the point where I feel like it was highly influential in how this Netflix show is being paced and what they're deciding on being kept and cut. It's a smart decision if they ever reveal it to be the case.

Honestly? This is kind of meh experience. 18 mil per episode but the action scene is bad af, CGI looks like fan made, acting is okayish.
If you're OP hardcore fan maybe you can satisfied with this. But for me this is just another bad adaptation from netflix.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Watched all the episodes right now and frankly amazing. Totally up for a season two can't wait until we get into season 6-7 or something along the line when the major clash happens.

Will be interesting to see how they are going to create the other crew men in later seasons. Also can't wait to see ace show up.

Watched the first episode and it average. Not bad but not good either. As a fan of early One Piece, this does not feel like One Piece at all. Not zany enough, not funny enough, the acting is so bad and the costumes look like cheap cosplay as I said before. It’s a decent watch if you know nothing of the actual anime.

Laieon

As someone who has never seen (or read) One Piece, the only thing I know about it is that its been running for eons and has something like 1000 episodes. I plan on checking this out because it looks fun, but I also like shows that have clearly defined middle/beginning/ends, so I'm really not sure what they ultimately plan to do with this in terms of an end game.

Raonak

Banned
Just finished the entire season and I absolutely loved it. The ending gave me goosebumps.

It's honestly exciting to see the story of one piece retold in another medium. I loved seeing a new interpretation of all my favourite characters, places and events. I also surprisingly enjoyed most of the changes. I think they work in making the season feel cohesive. And they feel like a nice surprise when you don't exactly know what they're gonna do.

The crews chemistry is fantastic. They completely nailed their dynamic even though they are not exactly like their anime counterparts, they're still very well done on their own way.

The villains are great to. Morgan, Buggy and Arlong are especially captivating every time they appear on screen.

As a long time one piece fan, this is absolutely a win.

9/10.

Last edited:
Top Bottom