• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece (Live Action) | Review Thread

Hardensoul

Let's just agree to disagree.
I know shouldn't talk about this with hardcore fan. Cheers.
No it’s fine! We can disagree! Conversation is good!

I’ll give my score I guess 8/10. Some cringe dialogue. Wish some things were not left out. But I was entertained through out.

The cast was very close to actual crew. Never thought they can be one to one due to how wildly animated they are in manga and anime.

The creators and cast seem to cared about the source material. Like it or not! That’s the most important thing. IMO

If you think Don Krieg fight is most epic I can respect that and understand why you didn’t like the change. But I barely remember it and this was a long ways before they enter the grand line. They setting up someone we really want to see in Logetown - teased in the end credits!
If i remember correctly, after Arlong is Smoker right, and right after that is Grand Line? It has been too long I don't remember everything. I don't see how Don Krieg fight is not the best before the grand line. It make the backstory of Sanji , Zeff and their relationship much better. Cut Don Krieg out make Sanji part feel empty. Smoker fight is just fun fight, run and chase game compare to Don Krieg fight. Smoker's importain but that's just the introduction chapter for him.

One Piece hold a speacial place in my childhood memories, don't remember how many times I re-read the manga lol. I love everything until the timeskip arc. I glad that this adaptation happened for the fan , but this live action did not meet my expectation. Hope they can improve in season 2 . Don't just rely on the success of Season 1 then make Season 2 the same crap.

Hardensoul

If i remember correctly, after Arlong is Smoker right, and right after that is Grand Line? It has been too long I don't remember everything. I don't see how Don Krieg fight is not the best before the grand line. It make the backstory of Sanji , Zeff and their relationship much better. Cut Don Krieg out make Sanji part feel empty. Smoker fight is just fun fight, run and chase game compare to Don Krieg fight. Smoker's importain but that's just the introduction chapter for him.

One Piece hold a speacial place in my childhood memories, don't remember how many times I re-read the manga lol. I love everything until the timeskip arc. I glad that this adaptation happened for the fan , but this live action did not meet my expectation. Hope they can improve in season 2 . Don't just rely on the success of Season 1 then make Season 2 the same crap.
Yes, Smoker in Logetown.
I do agree that they messed up with how Sanji joined. But they did do a great job with Baratie set. I like that they went with the manga version of Zeff and Sanji backstory. Not going to spoil for people who don’t know.

S2 will be interesting, I’m not sure how long they going to linger in/or up to Logetown. Because of the other crew members that aren’t in S1.

Now with the strike wonder how that’s going to affect the next season.

GymWolf

What i mean is Don Krieg boss fight in Sanji place . It's most epic battle before enter the grand line. Why do they cut it? Because of the budget? They pour 18 millions per episode for what? Building 2,3 ships?

Remember best manga adaptation movie Rurouni Kenshin only have 10 millions budget and it's much better than this shit.

I understand what they trying to do with Koby and Garp and Luffy but honestly it isn't that importain even in the manga. Wrong focus. Again, Nobody give a shit about marine purpose.

I read manga to the part luffy win again Kaido. I don't remember him that importain. But maybe it's just me.
I only like the manga before cp9 arc. After that i find it become boring so i just read for caught up the story and don't pay much attention. Too many new characters lol.
I have no idea how they are gonna animate all the wacky fights and characters and situations in the manga, they are gonna cut or simplify the hell out of it.

Chopper alone is gonna be a bitch to nail.

Hardensoul

I have no idea how they are gonna animate all the wacky fights and characters and situations in the manga, they are gonna cut or simplify the hell out of it.

Chopper alone is gonna be a bitch to nail.
Yea, Chopper is going to be tough. Especially if they’re going try to keep cost down. Brook too!

GymWolf

Yea, Chopper is going to be tough. Especially if they’re going try to keep cost down. Brook too!
I don't think there is an high enough budget in this planet to fully realize the wackiest shit in one piece, porting avengers and normal superhero stuff into movie format is 4953459058340 times easier.

it's not only a question of budget, but how to portray wacky shit in realistic form without looking cringe, they semi-nailed arlong but he is "normal" compared to what we are gonna have in the future.

Hardensoul

I don't think there is an high enough budget in this planet to fully realize the wackiest shit in one piece, porting avengers and normal superhero stuff into movie format is 4953459058340 times easier.

it's not only a question of budget, but how to portray wacky shit in realistic form without looking cringe, they semi-nailed arlong but he is "normal" compared to what we are gonna have in the future.
Oh! I know! I’m just concerned for the immediate things coming up. One piece has like every creature from every fantasy ever conceived! 😂 😃

Vyptjrg.jpg

Sir Crocodile is a black woman??
If this's correct then fuck Netflix. Wtf with these race,gender swap. Side character like Nami sister is okay, who give a fuck. But Crocodile???

Raonak

Banned
I didn't think dog kreig was a big loss at all. I think for a seasonal format they had to make changes to give it an overarching storyline with a big bad and less of a monster of the week approach, which is why they introduced arlong earlier talking to buggy. It's more similar to how future seasons will go too, as they'll focus on one main enemy (crocodile, eneryu, cp9, etc.

For me, it worked fine, and I think both Zoro and Luffy losing made it feel like the end of the baratie was the sad part of the season as the stakes are raised.

Kreig getting cut down in the mihawk sequence was absolutely awesome and a good way to cut him but not cut him.

Like they can't really replicate the story 1:1. The manga and anime already exists. This Netflix show is a condensed retelling, so they need to take some changes. And the ones they've made have worked well. This is the easy to binge version of one piece.

I especially liked trimming syrup village because the anime made that arc such a slog.

Last edited:
Its not crocodile lol. Its a meme.
Doesn't have a cigar nor a fur coat.

Shanks is standing right behind her, she just managed to get some screen time as the camera is trying to focus on shanks.
Let's hope you're correct
But It's Netflix, they will find a way to fuck up some characters at some points lol.

bitbydeath

Still got two episodes left and am enjoying it.
The only thing I’m confused by is the violence. They open with someone getting cut in two which I thought would set the tone for the series, but nothing has since come close to it.

Yeah, I don't think that's supposed to be Croco, but she seems too prominent to be just a nobody. Maybe it is supposed to be another character, miss double finger perhaps, or Shakky, or even Big Mom.

Yoboman

Unless I am missing something, I would say no, he’s not.
You clearly are

Spoilers up to the most recent chapters
Recognised as a hero of the marines, kidnapped by Blackbeard, escaped Blackbeards crew with Garp sacrificing himself. Pulled off one of the best strength feats the series has seen so far
In addition to that they showed off the Marine crew he has now, so is in all essence becoming a fully fledged Marine captain
That's all on top of him being the biggest growth character in the series, there from chapter one and having a clear sense of his own brand of justice like all the important Marines

Hardensoul

Still got two episodes left and am enjoying it.
The only thing I’m confused by is the violence. They open with someone getting cut in two which I thought would set the tone for the series, but nothing has since come close to it.
But Merry!
that was kinda gruesome death but in anime he’s actually alive

Doom85

Yea agree! They likely toned it down to get rating reduce for a wider audience.

I will say, for those who hadn’t seen the anime/read the manga:

I’ve seen quite a few jaws drop when Luffy punches Buggy’s head off, until it’s revealed Buggy is still alive. It’s not bloody or anything, but it does trick some for a few seconds into thinking the protagonist just did something intense.

Hardensoul

I will say, for those who hadn’t seen the anime/read the manga:

I’ve seen quite a few jaws drop when Luffy punches Buggy’s head off, until it’s revealed Buggy is still alive. It’s not bloody or anything, but it does trick some for a few seconds into thinking the protagonist just did something intense.
I’ve been watching non fan reactions! It’s been interesting seeing them embrace the show. A few even went to watch the anime!

Edit: the actor did a great portrayal of Buggy. Hell, there wasn’t many portrayals I didn’t dislike!

Last edited:

Hardensoul

Sanji feels a bit too goody 2 shoes compared to the manga.

But i like him.
He always was a goody to shoes. Think they toned down his creepiness towards females. Which is better imo since that’s not something that would go over well for non anime watchers.

YCoCg

I'll be honest, I never got into One Piece as when I watched it, ...it was the 4kids dub, so this is already such a massive improvement and more interesting, I know, I know, I should check out the manga or anime but damn, it's been going so long that it just feels daunting lining up like 1,000 episodes.

I'm really liking the style though, yeah it's cringe in places but how can it not be, it practically revels in being a cartoon but live action, like The Mask.

Yoboman

The Cat Girl above is a guy in the manga and anime.
Was she? Lol Syrup Village in the manga and Anime is the worst arc in the series, I've wiped it mostly from my memory. I just remember Jango being funny who wasn't even in the Live action

On the whole they seemed to improve that arc a bit but it's still the weakest part in the Life Action too

I give it a solid 7, enough for me to watch the second season.

I feel that Nami was the only character that gave a great performance mainly cause every other character just had the 1 trait that the actors focused on. Yes I know one piece characters are extremely 1 dimensional(like every shonen) but live action needs to be a bit more grounded imo.

Yoboman

I give it a solid 7, enough for me to watch the second season.

I feel that Nami was the only character that gave a great performance mainly cause every other character just had the 1 trait that the actors focused on. Yes I know one piece characters are extremely 1 dimensional(like every shonen) but live action needs to be a bit more grounded imo.
They all have their moments where greater acting range will be called upon. East Blue is essentially Nami's saga more than anybody

GymWolf

The actor for luffy is decent for funny scene but his serious face just doesn't work :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I don't like how they simplified the battle against the fishmen.

Tams

Season 2 scripts are done.

I'm concerned about how long this is going to take. 12-18 months for a second season... really they need to do a third as well at the same time.

A fourth would be too much for the cast and crew, but if a fourth is then done, a fifth should be done with it.

The actors aren't getting any younger.

Sadly, though popular and successful, this will end up being dumped as with many Netflix shows.

Yoboman

I'm concerned about how long this is going to take. 12-18 months for a second season... really they need to do a third as well at the same time.

A fourth would be too much for the cast and crew, but if a fourth is then done, a fifth should be done with it.

Sadly, though popular and successful, this will end up being dumped as with many Netflix shows.
They aren't going to be age accurate to the manga no matter what so it doesn't really matter from that aspect. But I agree they need to now plan this long term

Hardensoul

Logetown set is already done, originally supposed to be 10 episodes but due to time and cost filming into Covid restrictions. They had to cut Logetown out before entering GrandLine.

But S1 still worked with ending in Arlong Park.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I sincerly hope they get to do another season. This show was fun as hell, and like super brutally violent in the first episode and then no one was cut in half on screen ever again. I want more dicing and slicing dammit!

Batiman

Banned
Watched the 4th episode last night and probably thought it was the weakest one so far. Still enjoyed it though. I just feel they let scenes drag on to stretch the episode.

I’m also cheesed they didn’t give my boy usopp a proper moment. Like I’m expecting him to get a beat down but they could’ve let him get a few hits on someone.

Top Bottom