• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece (Live Action) | Review Thread

Pretty crazy how big this has hit

da5bfKp.jpg
EboVbFL.jpg
Crazy to think that Who is Erin Carter is beating One Piece in viewership in most English speaking countries.

If i remember correctly, after Arlong is Smoker right, and right after that is Grand Line? It has been too long I don't remember everything. I don't see how Don Krieg fight is not the best before the grand line. It make the backstory of Sanji , Zeff and their relationship much better. Cut Don Krieg out make Sanji part feel empty. Smoker fight is just fun fight, run and chase game compare to Don Krieg fight. Smoker's importain but that's just the introduction chapter for him.
After witnessing the live action version, I think they could have kept Don Krieg how it was but they should have added more backstory for Sanji. I think that was the larger issue as Zoro and Luffy had the most amount of care with their backstories.

It never made sense to me in the anime how Don Krieg managed to get away unscathed not once, but twice, when fighting Mihawk. A guy who decimated his crew and ships with a single sword swing. The live action version corrected this for me.

Elysion

Banned
I just found out that Emily Rudd, the actress who plays Nami, is already 30 years old. Wtf?! If this show is supposed to be long-running, with at least 4-5 seasons (with 18-24 months between seasons), then she could be be pushing 40 by the time of the final season, depending how long this series goes on. Yikes. That’s way too old for Nami, who’s only supposed to be 18 at the start of the anime. They should’ve cast an actress in her early twenties, who could still believably play a young woman during later seasons, like HBO did with Emilia Clarke in GoT. Imagine current Emilia Clarke, at 36, playing Daenerys. It just wouldn’t work.

Emily Rudd is about to hit the wall pretty soon, after which she’s simply no longer believable as the kind of young female adventurer that Nami is supposed to be. Pretty shortsighted move by Netflix tbh. It’s especially weird considering that the actors playing the male crew members are much closer to their canonical ages. The dude playing Luffy for example is only 20, which is only 3 years older than his anime counterpart. It’s gonna be weird in a couple of years when Nami is a middle-aged woman surrounded by all these much younger male characters.

Batiman

Banned
I just found out that Emily Rudd, the actress who plays Nami, is already 30 years old. Wtf?! If this show is supposed to be long-running, with at least 4-5 seasons (with 18-24 months between seasons), then she could be be pushing 40 by the time of the final season, depending how long this series goes on. Yikes. That’s way too old for Nami, who’s only supposed to be 18 at the start of the anime. They should’ve cast an actress in her early twenties, who could still believably play a young woman during later seasons, like HBO did with Emilia Clarke in GoT. Imagine current Emilia Clarke, at 36, playing Daenerys. It just wouldn’t work.

Emily Rudd is about to hit the wall pretty soon, after which she’s simply no longer believable as the kind of young female adventurer that Nami is supposed to be. Pretty shortsighted move by Netflix tbh. It’s especially weird considering that the actors playing the male crew members are much closer to their canonical ages. The dude playing Luffy for example is only 20, which is only 3 years older than his anime counterpart. It’s gonna be weird in a couple of years when Nami is a middle-aged woman surrounded by all these much younger male characters.
Age is really not really relevant to the characters or story. Luffy being young only slightly matters. I’m not even sure the show even brings up the age here whether it would matter either.

Also Nami looks young enough. I also think she’s a good actor. She was probably the best choice even though I’m sure they preferred a younger actor. I also doubt the show will go in for that long.

Also the usopp actor is 27 when he’s supposed to be 17. It doesn’t really change anything

Last edited:
I haven’t heard the term ‘the wall’ in years lol. Regardless, that wall is on different terms when it comes to Hollywood and will happen much later, 40s or even 50s, thanks to makeup, lighting, Hollywood diet, and even wrinkle removing tech.

The fact that Hollywood managed to make Harrison Ford and Arnold Schwarzenegger seem like they were 40-50 years old for an extra 20-25 years is proof enough. Both are pushing 80.

Hardensoul

A dude who doesn't engage with Japanese fiction like ever, his opinion isn't gonna really hold much weight. The culture war grifters are just using this as a W over Ahsoka.
What the hell! No where in video did he mention Ashoka. Only comparison I saw was to Cowboy Bebop which is a crap live adaption.

Ashoka is a shit show anyways! It rightfully deserves its criticisms.

Tams

A dude who doesn't engage with Japanese fiction like ever, his opinion isn't gonna really hold much weight. The culture war grifters are just using this as a W over Ahsoka.

Wot?

The main audience of this One Piece live action is people who don't read mangabor watch anime.

And he doesn't mention or show Ashoka once.

Tams

I think she's a great fit and clearly the biggest manga/anime nerd.

But yeah, she's not going to be looking young if this show goes on for more than five years, and at this rate of production it might.

Hardensoul

Chopper, how should they do him if they want to keep the interactions looking natural and cost down.

I say prosthetics on little person or child actor. I prefer prosthetics, puppets or CGI May raise cost and shoots take too long. If anyone seen Sweet Tooth - Christian Conroy would’ve been good. But he’s already played young Sanji and May be getting too tall?

Episodes - if they are going to do Alabastar we need at least 10-12 episodes. Because 2 episodes like they did with S1 arcs may not do Alabastar justice. Loguetown, Reverse mountain(
Laboon will be interesting how to adapt, they can’t skip too important for later
and Little Garden.

How wild can they get to what’s coming up. S1 is still very grounded compared to Anime. It’s something hard to juggle to keep new viewers engaged and still satisfy long time fans.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

Oh, I’m sure the producers are aware of this. But think: this might mean that through the casting process they didn’t find anyone younger who could carry the role. They chose a good nami over a young nami, and considering they’ve been very picky to cast actors who can fit in the shoes of the characters, and that has helped the adaptation immensely, I’ll take it.

Hardensoul

Oh, I’m sure the producers are aware of this. But think: this might mean that through the casting process they didn’t find anyone younger who could carry the role. They chose a good nami over a young nami, and considering they’ve been very picky to cast actors who can fit in the shoes of the characters, and that has helped the adaptation immensely, I’ll take it.
She looked really young too, she may be one of those that ages well and May still look almost same 10yrs from now.

Everyone will get older anyways, Taz Skylar may age a lot older quicker than other cast members. But really, I’m ok live action cast series aging up as story goes!

GymWolf

Never liked her casting so the sooner they find a new actress, the better.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

So he’s the target for the live adaptation no? To bring in people who don’t engage with manga nor anime. Besides, Ashoka wasn’t even mentioned.

Hardensoul

I can deal with her i guess, i'm curious to see what other villain they nail after baggy and mihawk.
I like Arlong acting. It was going to be tough to nail the look/height. Seems they went with someone that could act the part instead of someone that could be bigger to match the look.

I like it because overall he does embody Arlong.

GymWolf

I like Arlong acting. It was going to be tough to nail the look/height. Seems they went with someone that could act the part instead of someone that could be bigger to match the look.

I like it because overall he does embody Arlong.
I kinda liked arlong but the anime one was just much better design wise (obviously).

Hardensoul

Just got around to watching this.
Fantastic show.
Never got around to watching the anime as it seems like a mountain to climb.

Defiantly recommend. It was fun and refreshing to actually enjoy something from Netflix.
Live action got me to restart watching anime. I had stop watching after Summit War right before going to Fishman Island. I just became mainly a manga reader!

Anyways I started rewatching from the beginning and just got Summit War beginning Impel Down (Ep. 420?). In a month, obviously skipped filler episodes. Even knowing what’s about to happen, I still get emotionally engrossed in the episodes!

Such a great series IMO!

lifa-cobex

Live action got me to restart watching anime. I had stop watching after Summit War right before going to Fishman Island. I just became mainly a manga reader!

Anyways I started rewatching from the beginning and just got Summit War beginning Impel Down (Ep. 420?). In a month, obviously skipped filler episodes. Even knowing what’s about to happen, I still get emotionally engrossed in the episodes!

Such a great series IMO!
I'm certainly considering giving it a go.

Hardensoul

I'm certainly considering giving it a go.
Give a try, take your time. Don’t let the sheer number of episodes make you feel overwhelmed.

I use this site to help filter the filler episodes. Some are good, but some just feel out of place.

RaduN

Watched it a few days ago. Never saw the anime either, though i started it right after finishing the tv show.

Definitelly better than expected, especially after seeing that 1st trailer, at least the first 2 episodes and the last.

However, it is much worse than it could/should have been. They almost completely failed to transpose the lore on film in a proper way. You just can't have those cheesy costumes and bad make up, and just badly directed scenes in the film medium. They obviously tried to make it faithful or some shit, but for the most part, it doesn't work at all. All the villains are emarrasingly badly done, with bad make up and lighting and the heroes are just the same, though in all honesty, the Luffy actor is absolutely fantastic and literally steals every scene he is in. He basically saves the show single handedly.
The special effects are well done as well, no complaints here.

They should have looked long and hard at the first POTC movie, and understand the elements that made it such a fantastic accomplishment.

All in all, the low tier direction and costumes/make up are the worst offenders here. It looks just like the best effort of a amateur, untallented team.

Top Bottom