• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Punch Man TV |OT| Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man my friend doesn't like any show I like. I've been telling him to get into this since episode 1. He finally started watching it because he kept hearing about it everywhere else. He sent me a message saying "I watched episode 1. It didn't tell me much, but I'll keep watching." If he somehow doesn't like it, then wtf. I literally haven't heard anyone say they don't like it yet lol.

Man my friend doesn't like any show I like. I've been telling him to get into this since episode 1. He finally started watching it because he kept hearing about it everywhere else. He sent me a message saying "I watched episode 1. It didn't tell me much, but I'll keep watching." If he somehow doesn't like it, then wtf. I literally haven't heard anyone say they don't like it yet lol.

there's people here who dropped it in episode 1 or 2 making the assumption that the gag would get old.

Maaan, I really want a S2 soon. There's so much stuff that they'll probably won't air now.

There's seriously not enough material if they want to stick with adapting the Murata version.

A solution could be they have Murata do the character designs for future characters and then they just jump into the ONE version, but I don't think they would do that.

And considering the length and frequency of releases, a season 2 isn't happening for a very long time. 3 years at the earliest.

The entire character of Genos reads like one massive play on a cliche, really. The tragic pretty boy cyborg with the five hour long origin story, hot ass hair, and giant rocket/incinerator hands acrobatically jetpacking through the air after his emotional outbursts, is the comic relief that gets beaten into scraps.

It's fucking hilarious.
It is. If this were an actual shounen series and not a parody of one, Genos would be the main character. He reminds me so much of Ichigo and Kubo Tite's other too-cool-for-school type of characters.

There's seriously not enough material if they want to stick with adapting the Murata version.
I thought so as well initially, but after watching how MadHouse drew out ep5 w/the Genos and Handsomely Masked Sweet Mask stuff, I think they could claw out enough material for a S2. Just cover every single side story and the current filler arc and bam.

Yeah? I'm staying hopeful!

A-V-B

A solution could be they have Murata do the character designs for future characters and then they just jump into the ONE version, but I don't think they would do that.

And considering the length and frequency of releases, a season 2 isn't happening for a very long time. 3 years at the earliest.

I could see annual one-off specials. That'd be a lot more doable.

Dereck

The entire character of Genos reads like one massive play on a cliche, really. The tragic pretty boy cyborg with the five hour long origin story, hot ass hair, and giant rocket/incinerator hands acrobatically jetpacking through the air after his emotional outbursts, is the comic relief that gets beaten into scraps.

It's fucking hilarious.
lol

wouldn't you want to keep watching until it actually gets boring?
This is thought-provoking

squall23

The
Garou
arc itself is long enough for it's own 12 episode season. Depending on when Murata finishes that we might see a season 2 before 3 years. Assuming it gets greenlit anyway.

I won't lie though, I'd totally love to see an anime using the crappy ONE version art. lol

Tripon

There's enough material based on One's version to do season 2. The issue is that after that, there wouldn't be anywhere near enough material to do season 3.

But I would trust this animation team to do their own stories justice if they went down that route.

Mupod

I caved and got caught up on the original webcomic yesterday, I really do hope we get another season based on 'that' arc. It's blowing my mind just trying to picture how the Murata redraw is going to look.

Finalow

I also would like to point out that it's not just about being a shounen parody, even if at the beginning it seems like it. if you read the comic or the manga you see how the author really tries to flesh out characters and the world around them in a meaningful (yet hilarious) way, and successfully does so. I'd say it achieves more depth than what you'd expect from a simple parody work.

So good that madhouse animators barely show up! ;)
well, let me edit with animators-workingfor-madhouse.gif then.

Dahbomb

Yeah just because it's a parody does not mean it isn't well made or fleshed out in its own right. Otherwise it would get old pretty quickly.

I also would like to point out that it's not just about being a shounen parody, even if at the beginning it seems like it. if you read the comic or the manga you see how the author really tries to flesh out characters and the world around them in a meaningful (yet hilarious) way, and successfully does so. I'd say it achieves more depth than what you'd expect from a simple parody work.

well, let me edit with animators-workingfor-madhouse.gif then.
Agreed.

One of the things that initially stood out to me about OPM is how ONE has written a main character that suffers from depression and how he's sprinkled the story with little bits highlighting this. In OPM's first flashback we see Saitama has essentially lost hope and even courts suicide-by-crab. "I don't care about anything anymore." Three years later and he's not much better off. His emotions are fading, he's become numb, he feels his life is monotonous and routine. He goes out, OHKOs monsters and comes back home to his empty apartment where he lives alone. He doesn't appear to have family or any friends, and no one knows who he is or seems to cares about him. I know it's played up for laughs but the shot of him taking a bath with the rubber ducky is melancholy as heck. MadHouse did an excellent job picking out the somber music for this scene, as well.

mgely21.png

And then Genos pops up at Saitama's door and sort of changes his life by slowly pulling him out of isolation, though neither seem to recognize that's what is happening. His interactions with Genos and other characters as the story progresses is one of the things I love most about the series. For all the amazing battles OPM is chocked full of, my favorite moment has been simply seeing Saitama in a room surrounded by people who see him as a friend.

Nightbird

Despite literally everyone telling them otherwise?

I have been told by tons of people how freaking amazing Sword Art Online was. Watched it, and hated myself for going trough all of season 1.

Then i've been told that Attack on Titan was the savior of anime, that it's the best anime that has ever been made. I knew the manga already, but i still jumped in: It was good, but not the second coming of christ that everyone is trying to make it look like.

What i wanna say is: Those people may be wrong to ignore One-Punch Man, but i can't really blame them for ignoring what the mainstream loves.

Qurupeke

Yeah, I'm talking about the ONE version. Murata keeps delaying and there's even fillers now so even 3 years is too optimistic. If they do what you said, they could easily have a full season but it's probably a lot of work...

Blues1990

Agreed.

One of the things that initially stood out to me about OPM is how ONE has written a main character that suffers from depression and how he's sprinkled the story with little bits highlighting this. In OPM's first flashback we see Saitama has essentially lost hope and even courts suicide-by-crab. "I don't care about anything anymore." Three years later and he's not much better off. His emotions are fading, he's become numb, he feels his life is monotonous and routine. He goes out, OHKOs monsters and comes back home to his empty apartment where he lives alone. He doesn't appear to have family or any friends, and no one knows who he is or seems to cares about him. I know it's played up for laughs but the shot of him taking a bath with the rubber ducky is melancholy as heck. MadHouse did an excellent job picking out the somber music for this scene, as well.

mgely21.png

And then Genos pops up at Saitama's door and sort of changes his life by slowly pulling him out of isolation, though neither seem to recognize that's what is happening. His interactions with Genos and other characters as the story progresses is one of the things I love most about the series. For all the amazing battles OPM is chocked full of, my favorite moment has been simply seeing Saitama in a room surrounded by people who see him as a friend.

tumblr_nudd5fk44V1se015qo1_540.gif

I agree. This scene definitely drives home the fact that, for the most part, Saitama is socially isolated & is suffering from severe depression. I can relate.

Blues1990

It kinda paints the fact that he wants fans in a different light doesn't it?

That's the thing, it's hard to figure out what this guy wants. So far, no one has been able to give him a decent fight (with the exception of that mosquito), let alone to test the full extent of his abilities.

Aikidoka

Yeah, i agree that OPM would become too repetitive if Saitama was just completely apathetic. I like how you get to see that Saitama has clear ideas of what a hero should and should not be.
I think that the person he most would wish to be is Licenseless-Rider; it's pretty easy for Saitama to take the high-road (when he actually pays attention) when he's basically untouchable, whereas LR does it despite being the complete antithesis to all-powerful.

marzlapin

That's the thing, it's hard to figure out what this guy wants. So far, no one has been able to give him a decent fight (with the exception of that mosquito), let alone to test the full extent of his abilities.

I think what he wants is to be the generic shounen hero, because shounen heroes are constantly challenged by increasingly difficult enemies and rivals, and are always evolving themselves to meet these challenges. They fight in epic battles all the time and develop social bonds with other people that are so strong they'd die for each other. A lot of them also never have to deal with the drudgery of everyday modern life. I don't know if Saitama himself would put it that way if you asked him what he wanted, but I think that's what he really wants. It's funny in a melancholy way, because he'll never get it or the central gag premise would fall apart.

Blues1990

I think what he wants is to be the generic shounen hero, because shounen heroes are constantly challenged by increasingly difficult enemies and rivals, and are always evolving themselves to meet these challenges. They fight in epic battles all the time and develop social bonds with other people that are so strong they'd die for each other. A lot of them also never have to deal with the drudgery of everyday modern life. I don't know if Saitama himself would put it that way if you asked him what he wanted, but I think that's what he really wants. It's funny in a melancholy way, because he'll never get it or the central gag premise would fall apart.

Good points that you've made. But, I'm surprised that a villain hasn't thought of the idea of just getting a blood sample from Saitama, in order to clone him. If no one can stand up to give him a good fight, then why not fight himself?

DonMigs85

Good points that you've made. But, I'm surprised that a villain hasn't thought of the idea of just getting a blood sample from Saitama, in order to clone him. If no one can stand up to give him a good fight, then why not fight himself?

But the clone would have to do the same training routine. What if it turns out lazy?
And can needles even pierce Saitama?

Enforced

I just finished watching episode 5. I really enjoyed it. The animation is incredible. I'm looking forward the next episode.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
I really hope the get into the details of king in this season, but I wont get my hopes up.

Other than that there is a particular climax I'll be pretty disappointed about if they don't reach.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The first edition of the BD/DVD will include a 10 minutes long OVA with an original story by ONE. It's releasing on December 4.

The official website for the One-Punch Man television anime series revealed on Monday that the first limited-edition Blu-ray Disc and DVD release of the series will include an OVA listed as "OVA #01." The 10-minute "Shinobiyori Sugiru Kage" (A Shadow That Snuck Up Too Close) OVA will feature a completely original story written by the manga's original author ONE.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-10-05/1st-one-punch-man-bd-dvd-to-include-ova-no.01/.93800
http://onepunchman-anime.net/goods/bd.php

Volume 10 of the manga is also announced to come bundled with an OVA, also on December 4, but I'm unsure if it will be the same animation included in the BD/DVD or if it will be a different one.

The Japanese retailer Manga-Oh is currently listing that a bundled edition of the 10th volume of ONE and Yuusuke Murata's One-Punch Man manga will include an original video anime (OVA). The retailer lists that the set will ship on December 4. The website lists that the regular edition volume will also ship on the same day.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...-man-manga-10th-volume-listed-with-ova/.93324
http://www.mangaoh.co.jp/catalog/404218/

marzlapin

So far this series really seems to love to blueballs Saitama so this could happen, but then juuuuuust when both of them are about to have the most epic fight imaginable, something would ruin it. Like maybe that would be the moment when they discover clone Saitama has the power level of Mumen Rider or something.

Blues1990

So far this series really seems to love to blueballs Saitama so this could happen, but then juuuuuust when both of them are about to have the most epic fight imaginable, something would ruin it. Like maybe that would be the moment when they discover clone Saitama has the power level of Mumen Rider or something.

I think it would be hilarious if there was a twist that involves the clone Saitama wanting to become friends with the original Saitama, rather than wanting to fight. And then the two go grocery shopping soon afterwards.

But the clone would have to do the same training routine. What if it turns out lazy?
And can needles even pierce Saitama?

It doesn't even need to be blood. Body hair samples, toenail clippings, anything that isn't head hair would work.

squall23

I don't think he really wants anything. He just wants to fight evil and bad guys as a hobby. It's like how I don't need an excuse to play video games.

Quite frankly, there's a sort of innocence and purity in wanting to fight evil just "because".

Maedhros

I feel like some mod NEEDS to tell people or even put on the title that spoilers = BAN. I'm not a webcomic reader and I already got spoiled two times on this thread.

Seriously, fuck this shit. Go discuss the manga on a manga thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom