• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online Dating |OT| Please Respond

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Tinder in NYC is something, it's almost to the point where you get too many likes.

bluethree

Funnily enough though, a better/more detailed profile has upped my matches quite a bit recently ;) My super likes are getting far better results than before too.

brawly

Just got a tinder match and even a message, but now she gone

original.gif

No way to see the message, right? I don't even get excited anymore tho, which is good.

Jokab

original.gif

No way to see the message, right? I don't even get excited anymore tho, which is good.

Likely a bot. They often delete the match if you don't respond in a set timeframe for some reason.

Lol haven't see this gif in awhile, anyway yeah probably a bot like Jokab said. In my experience, someone messaging immediately after a match (basically near instant) is always a bot. Even if it's just a "hey". I've had maybe 1 or 2 people out of a lot that have actually messaged me first and not been a bot.

Biggest pet peeve in the world to me imo, I wish messaging first wasn't so one sided

JDHarbs

Fourth date was yesterday. This may have been the last one before she leaves town. We're trying to make a fifth, but our schedules are rough right now.

We were going to go out, but she changed her mind at the last minute and invited me over to her place. Her family was out of town, and she repeatedly mentioned this throughout the evening. I don't know about you all, but I took this as a signal that she may have wanted sex. Now, I can be really indecisive and indirect so I'm not the kind of guy who really knows what he's doing when it comes to getting a girl in the mood so I just bought myself some time waiting for an ideal moment to just ask her. We played some games, made out, more games, and talked while playing with her dog. Her dog loves me now. She started off the night leaning up against me, but I noticed she distanced herself as it went on. I think she was getting really tired after awhile and just wanted me to head home so she could sleep. She mentioned she had to work the next day. I wasn't sure though so I made a move anyway at the end of the night. I started making out with her, laid her down on the couch, got some heavy breathing from her when I kissed her neck, and I asked if she wanted to go upstairs and she said she couldn't. I told her that was okay, we stopped, and she gave me a lift home after that.

Either I waited too long, I just wasn't turning her on, or I misinterpreted the situation and she just wanted a simple night in after a long day. I didn't want her to think I was some asshole who was just trying to get laid before she left town so I told her that before I got out of the car. She said she didn't get that impression from me so that's a good sign. Since this may have been our last meetup I told her I thought she was great and would love to see her again when she got back. I didn't want to put her on the spot to give me her answer so I just told her to take some time to think about it and let me know. She said okay, and wanted to give me a hug before I left.

I don't know, GAF. Hopefully I didn't screw this up. I'm going to try to meet up with her Thursday, but if she makes up some excuse not to then I think I'll have my answer.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Her family was out of town, and she repeatedly mentioned this throughout the evening. I don't know about you all, but I took this as a signal that she may have wanted sex.

Yes, she did.

She started off the night leaning up against me, but I noticed she distanced herself as it went on.

She probably had the idea of sex in her head but as the night progressed figured it wasn't happening so kind of gave up on it. You said you made out then went back to games, that transition would probably kill the mood.

Yes, she did.

She probably had the idea of sex in her head but as the night progressed figured it wasn't happening so kind of gave up on it. You said you made out then went back to games, that transition would probably kill the mood.

He had to show her how far gaming had come since Super Mario World. A precursor to any sex.

JDHarbs

Technically she made that transition so maybe she just wasn't feeling it after the first make out session.

Anyway, feeling like shit right now.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Technically she made that transition so maybe she just wasn't feeling it after the first make out session.

Anyway, feeling like shit right now.

Nah, you shouldn't feel like shit. You potentially have Thursday and if she bails then you can try dating elsewhere while she's away.

JDHarbs

Nah, you shouldn't feel like shit. You potentially have Thursday and if she bails then you can try dating elsewhere while she's away.
I know, but I dig her a lot and my social anxiety and awkwardness has ruined so much shit in my life already that adding this to it just brings it all back at once.

I'm trying to figure out when I should text her about Thursday. She said she was free that day so it was just my schedule that was getting in the way. I wanted to wait until the day got closer to make sure I would be free, but I think I have to plan on meeting her again now to have any chance with her. I don't want that last date to be the last thing she remembers when she leaves.

The day after might be too soon. Maybe tomorrow? That's 3 days in advance.

NeoBob688

A couple of questions.

1) For Coffee Meets Bagel, under "I like", should I put "A woman who is looking for a long-term committed relationship." That is what I want, but I am unsure if it is bad to put that there and might turn people off. Thoughts? Should I rephrase?

2) I need to get some nice profile pics, but recently moved to an area where I don't have any friends that I could ask this and not be awkward. Any tips of how I could still gets those types of pics? Or if not just any general tips on effective profile pics? I guess I would want a close-up and a whole body shot b/c I am 6'3''.

Anybody here from the Philly area...just curious?

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
A couple of questions.

1) For Coffee Meets Bagel, under "I like", should I put "A woman who is looking for a long-term committed relationship." That is what I want, but I am unsure if it is bad to put that there and might turn people off. Thoughts? Should I rephrase?

2) I need to get some nice profile pics, but recently moved to an area where I don't have any friends that I could ask this and not be awkward. Any tips of how I could still gets those types of pics? Or if not just any general tips on effective profile pics? I guess I would want a close-up and a whole body shot b/c I am 6'3''.

Anybody here from the Philly area...just curious?

Why would you put that you like "A woman who is looking for a long-term committed relationship."? It is so boring, also getting way ahead of yourself. Mention a couple of cool hobbies.

Ask someone? Say you promised a friend you needed a picture in front of famous building x or it is part of an in joke if you need an excuse to ask a stranger (although you should get pics with friends too!)

NeoBob688

Why would you put that you like "A woman who is looking for a long-term committed relationship."? It is so boring, also getting way ahead of yourself. Mention a couple of cool hobbies.

Ask someone? Say you promised a friend you needed a picture in front of famous building x or it is part of an in joke if you need an excuse to ask a stranger (although you should get pics with friends too!)

The specific section on CMB is "I appreciate when my date…". But your point is well taken.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
The specific section on CMB is "I appreciate when my date…". But your point is well taken.

I haven't used the app (last time I checked it wasn't in the UK), so I apologise for any bluntness in my response, I was unaware of the exact wording :).

That said, you should use apps to look for someone you have great connection with and only think about long term stuff down the road. They are a means to meet someone, don't establish too high an expectation for yourself or for them.

SeanC

A couple of questions.

I would just say you're looking to date. See where it goes. Jumping right saying you want a long-term commitment is putting the cart before the hose. Thinking of using that app myself. I have a friend who met is current GF with it.

OH, first time poster in this thread. I have a feeling I might be posting here and in dating-Gaf thread seeing as how I'm trying to put myself back on the market. Just signed up for Match.com, got an email from a very cute girl, did some back-and-forth messaging but she kind of went radio silent so we'll see...worried my dry/sarcastic BS might have come across wrong.

bluethree

It's PERFECTLY fine to state up front what you are looking for. I had a pretty awesome date on Friday with a woman who said that in her profile actually. Just phrase it in a way that you're not expecting anything right away. "I'm looking for a committed relationship, but first let's meet and see where things go" or a similar no-pressure way of putting it.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
From the girl I~m talking to right now on Tinder.

Actually I can meet you tomorrow at the movie! It turns out we aren't doing anything! And I'm very glad you like being big spoon! But I can fulfill your fantasy of being big spoon so you can be cuddled nice and gently. ❤️
Omg you're very handsome!

I actually don~t have a fantasy of being a little spoon, but I told her I had never been one before and low and behold.

Also for some reason I feel like she might be a little crazy, its sorta this gut feeling I got but Im going to meet up with her anyways.

brawly

Just once it would be nice for a girl to write first. Just once...

Anyway, do women actually really look for a special introduction? I find it fucked up that the man is supposed to write first and come up with a clever ice breaker. You'd think we're both working towards the same goal.

I really need to hit that super like more, I'm having quite the success atm.

@Jpop definitely want to hear how this goes.

bluethree

Anyway, do women actually really look for a special introduction? I find it fucked up that the man is supposed to write first and come up with a clever ice breaker. You'd think we're both working towards the same goal.

lol anyone who expects you to be super clever right off the bat is probably not someone I'd be interested in. a simple opener works best. I get some shit for it here, but I really do just open with "hey" and complimenting their pictures or noticing something about them. Others use gifs on tinder and while that's not really my style I could see how that'd work. From there I of course try to make things more interesting if she's actually being responsive

And if a girl isn't putting any effort into the convo on her end, I usually lose interest.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member

I really need to hit that super like more, I'm having quite the success atm.

If a girl is interested in you she really isn~t gonna care about a super clever first response. It can even seem to try hard, if she is interested in you it doesnt hurt though.

Girls probably check out most profiles that send them a message and base if they will respond on the profile.

Usually I stick to asking about what their drink of choice is, tends to work out well and easily leads to branch off conversations.

Our previous few messages. She just seems way too eager, or maybe she really does just find me incredibly attractive.

Sorry I was getting ready. I'm seeing a show tonight! It's totally fine. I'll be a little busy tonight too. Hmm... Idk I guess I would say I like my over
all body since I work out. How about you? And what's your favorite clothing brand?
Today at 4:52 PM

me
You definitely have an amazing body, I agree with your choice haha.
Mmm.... My hair and my smile. I think I'm pretty good looking too.
Today at 4:55 PM

me
I don't really have a favorite clothing brand but there was this shirt I really loved, and it was a Matix brand.
Today at 4:57 PM

me
What are your thoughts on cuddling?
Today at 5:00 PM

Yes, yes you are. You're very very handsome! I'm really looking forward to meeting you in person! We for sure will! �� I have never heard of matix before but if you like it I'm sure it's great! I love cuddling. That's the best part of a relationship! How about you?

brawly

lol anyone who expects you to be super clever right off the bat is probably not someone I'd be interested in. a simple opener works best. I get some shit for it here, but I really do just open with "hey" and complimenting their pictures or noticing something about them. Others use gifs on tinder and while that's not really my style I could see how that'd work.

And if a girl isn't putting any effort into the convo on her end, I usually lose interest.

Yeah, I usually just go "hey, how are you?" but right now I super liked someone, we matched immediately and it's kinda late (00:30AM), so I wrote something along the lines of "wow, that fast. still up aswell eh?"

So here we go again GAF.

But yeah, there's this other girl who just gives me two word answers and I won't write her anymore.

SeanC

Does anyone have experience with the app Happn?

It's like a 3DS streetpass type of dating app, but I don't know really what people are looking for on it. Dating? Hookups? I'm more for dating but most profiles don't specify.

I get a ton of passes and profiles, so apparently a lot of people here in LA are using it. I have a feeling it's just for bangin' but my feelings are wrong only, like, 70% of the time.

Since girls get many more likes than men why do they even bother matching if they won't speak lol?

Matched with one who actually spoke to me first with. A hi gif then never said anything after that. Fuck this app lol.

brawly

Since girls get many more likes than men why do they even bother matching if they won't speak lol?

Matched with one who actually spoke to me first with. A hi gif then never said anything after that. Fuck this app lol.

That does seem weird. How long ago was that? Which app?

The girl I just matched with said good night...that's a first, lol.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member

They may match based on your profile, or bio. There is also the chance that a lot of girls just swipe right on everyone and unmatch ghe guys they dont like.

Also they may have a ton of other conversations going on in the app that are more interesting so they forget about you.

It's PERFECTLY fine to state up front what you are looking for. I had a pretty awesome date on Friday with a woman who said that in her profile actually. Just phrase it in a way that you're not expecting anything right away. "I'm looking for a committed relationship, but first let's meet and see where things go" or a similar no-pressure way of putting it.

That sounds like a good plan.

They may match based on your profile, or bio. There is also the chance that a lot of girls just swipe right on everyone and unmatch ghe guys they dont like.

Also they may have a ton of other conversations going on in the app that are more interesting so they forget about you.

Well I'm specifically talking about tinder. How can a more interesting conversation be going on if it never started. And I don't just open with hi how are you.

Yeah I can understand the girls who respond once then never again, but the girls who you match with then never respond can be little annoying, especially super likes! I actually find like 90% of my super likes like me back but then barely any of them actually respond (Hell, I try to make sure to say something clever or unique) Some probably just like the idea of it, so they aren't interested but it makes them feel better.
Or they immediately find a better looking guy

Speaking of conversations, I feel like even with the girls I've gone on dates with, getting to the point of a natural flowing conversation via text almost never happens. Like it ends up just me asking about stuff. Maybe everyone I've gotten far with are just not into texting?

Anyway, next Date is Tuesday and am actually having a good time talking to her via text. Plus instead of a dinner date I'm going to a park, should be fun.

Does anyone have experience with the app Happn?

It's like a 3DS streetpass type of dating app, but I don't know really what people are looking for on it. Dating? Hookups? I'm more for dating but most profiles don't specify.

I get a ton of passes and profiles, so apparently a lot of people here in LA are using it. I have a feeling it's just for bangin' but my feelings are wrong only, like, 70% of the time.

I wrote about it a few pages ago. It's pretty good. It's like Tinder if the distance is set to 1-2 miles. If you end up moving a bit, it's pretty cool. In here it's clearly the 2nd big dating app.

As for what it is, aren't most apps with the match system about banging? My happn dates were all pretty straightforward in what we intended to do, but it's probably just coincidence. The mindset is similar to Tinder.

20-50% of the profiles are also on Tinder though. It's cool to get rejected twice. I actually once saw a profile of a girl in both apps and sent a superlike and a charm (similar in Happn) in a couple of minutes. That was probably creepy. It's even creepier cause she works 200 meters next to me so she is always showing up in my happn feed (she probably blocked me right away). But I never saw her in person.

Fourth date was yesterday. This may have been the last one before she leaves town. We're trying to make a fifth, but our schedules are rough right now.

We were going to go out, but she changed her mind at the last minute and invited me over to her place. Her family was out of town, and she repeatedly mentioned this throughout the evening. I don't know about you all, but I took this as a signal that she may have wanted sex. Now, I can be really indecisive and indirect so I'm not the kind of guy who really knows what he's doing when it comes to getting a girl in the mood so I just bought myself some time waiting for an ideal moment to just ask her. We played some games, made out, more games, and talked while playing with her dog. Her dog loves me now. She started off the night leaning up against me, but I noticed she distanced herself as it went on. I think she was getting really tired after awhile and just wanted me to head home so she could sleep. She mentioned she had to work the next day. I wasn't sure though so I made a move anyway at the end of the night. I started making out with her, laid her down on the couch, got some heavy breathing from her when I kissed her neck, and I asked if she wanted to go upstairs and she said she couldn't. I told her that was okay, we stopped, and she gave me a lift home after that.

Either I waited too long, I just wasn't turning her on, or I misinterpreted the situation and she just wanted a simple night in after a long day. I didn't want her to think I was some asshole who was just trying to get laid before she left town so I told her that before I got out of the car. She said she didn't get that impression from me so that's a good sign. Since this may have been our last meetup I told her I thought she was great and would love to see her again when she got back. I didn't want to put her on the spot to give me her answer so I just told her to take some time to think about it and let me know. She said okay, and wanted to give me a hug before I left.

I don't know, GAF. Hopefully I didn't screw this up. I'm going to try to meet up with her Thursday, but if she makes up some excuse not to then I think I'll have my answer.

If those signs aren't enough for you, next time you might just ask her. Wanna have sex?

SeanC

I wrote about it a few pages ago. It's pretty good. It's like Tinder if the distance is set to 1-2 miles. If you end up moving a bit, it's pretty cool. In here it's clearly the 2nd big dating app.

As for what it is, aren't most apps with the match system about banging? My happn dates were all pretty straightforward in what we intended to do, but it's probably just coincidence. The mindset is similar to Tinder.

20-50% of the profiles are also on Tinder though. It's cool to get rejected twice. I actually once saw a profile of a girl in both apps and sent a superlike and a charm (similar in Happn) in a couple of minutes. That was probably creepy. It's even creepier cause she works 200 meters next to me so she is always showing up in my happn feed (she probably blocked me right away). But I never saw her in person.

Cool. I read some pages but must've missed your post. I pretty much only like/heart the profiles that say they're looking to date or show more than just stupid duckface selfies. I'm at the point in my life where I'm not interested in just hook ups - more a nice coffee conversation, date, then hook up if it gets to that. Happn seems about 60/40 on that, I suppose Tinder is the same way but Tinder seems to lean more towards only hookups.

Lulubop

I feel like Bumble conversations are just disappearing. It's weird. I been super wishy-washy and flaky on actual;ly meeting people though I have a lot of opportunity. Confidence is still in the tank.

Nevermind. If you have it set to recent, only the most recent 5 convos show. =s

JDHarbs

Texted her yesterday morning. No response yet. She might be a goner after the last date, but the last time I thought she was ghosting me she had just forgot and a follow up text got her to respond acting like everything was perfectly fine. This is the kind of girl who is super busy and gets notifications on her phone constantly so mine can get buried. It's driven me crazy all summer. Thursday was supposed to be our last meet before she left so I'd have to hear by tomorrow if it's still on. Thinking about texting her again since it worked last time, but I'm wondering if I'm better off just letting her go. Maybe we can rekindle things when she is back for good.

To those who have been following my crazy situation all summer, would you have given up by now? I mean, both of us could've bailed at any moment, but we didn't. We saw this thing all the way through. It had its ups and downs, but there has to be something here to drive two people to stick with this for months like we did despite everything holding it back from working. I really dug her, and I thought she dug me. We had some great conversations, and some great dates, but if I learned anything from this it's that I have no idea what I'm doing and the simplest mistake can ruin everything in this game which has left me on-edge for months now. The thoughts of it being over has felt relieving in a way. Not because I want her gone, but because I'm exhausted and need some finality to it.

The bright side is that I got some experience that I can take with me into future dates. Whenever those may be. I'm still amazed that I caught her attention in the first place which I think led to some attachment and maybe even a little obsession. Waiting for her responses started impacting my focus at work for awhile. It made me feel pathetic. I don't want to go through that for the entirety of her school year as well.

Typing all of this out has made me believe that I need to end it, but I don't want to burn a bridge for something in the future.

JDHarbs

You've probably written more about this girl than married couples have written about each other. You're way too invested in this extremely young relationship. It's time to back off and meet other people.
I've been feeling the same lately. I'm young and this was my first real dating experience so I feel like I got too attached.

Salamando

To those who have been following my crazy situation all summer, would you have given up by now? I mean, both of us could've bailed at any moment, but we didn't. We saw this thing all the way through. It had its ups and downs, but there has to be something here to drive two people to stick with this for months like we did despite everything holding it back from working.

Most of us would've bailed once we learned the girl was no longer in our town. We would have doubly bailed once we learned the girl would only be in the town for a month when she came back. You've stated you're new to dating and relationships...you won't get the experience you need through a LDR. They're entirely different beasts with their own set of issues.

And you want to know why it worked for months? The girl was in a city for two months, likely not knowing anyone. You were someone she could talk to on a reliable basis. And you were just happy to have anything.

Top Bottom