• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines |OT| Cursed for Life

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Just like a real weasel.
18535lrwlht9jjpg.jpg

I got the
ship
last night so I am not too far in the game, but the more I play it the more I understand about it. This game is all about micromanaging, what to do when, and setting goals for yourself or just letting the weasel girl sort those out for you.

The fact that they let you choose how fast you want to beat the game when you pick the difficulty, or how you can just let all of the managing be done by the weasel are great features for those that don't have a lot of time, or those who want to learn how the game works at first. More RPGs should do this type of thing, giving the player options as to how they want to experience the adventure.

Hikami

One thing I am definitely having a hard time with is the slot machine mechanic. I haven't managed to get a single green text item yet. Since my understanding is that those are necessary to unlock new gods I'm pretty frustrated with how hard a time I am having with the slot machines...

I'm thinking they need special requirements, like defeat a certain number of a certain enemy. I've gotten 3 of those green text items now and when the god is freed, it shows this:
The other one I got said "defeated 30 x enemy". Can't remember what the third one said though.

Parakeetman

Fucking weasels. Too cute >=(

Ive seen those out in Nagano before lol. Called an Okojo オコジョ over here. Only bad thing about them is that they eat this protected species of bird out there too. D: lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_ptarmigan

I'm thinking they need special requirements, like defeat a certain number of a certain enemy. I've gotten 3 of those green text items now and when the god is freed, it shows this:

The other one I got said "defeated 30 x enemy". Can't remember what the third one said though.

Im curious if the US version has the latest patch with all the updates since it used to piss me off when I free a god only to have them run the fuck away again lol. D: Though one advantage of the original pre-patch version was you could rip off equipment from other peoples shared characters via bug. Which allows the player to obtain some pretty broken weapons that higher level players would have equipped on their shared characters lol good times. Made the gunner class broken as fuck, since one of the best shotguns in the game pretty much wipes out most of the enemy party in a single shot. Allowing for both EXP and Treasure to be gained every fight.

In the US version do they still have the functionality to share your characters via QR codes?

Ephidel

In the US version do they still have the functionality to share your characters via QR codes?
It claims it does but I haven't been able to try it. It's one of the many things that prompts you to change network stuff in the settings, and every time I've tried to do that I've failed to get a connection.

LX_Theo

Banned
Nice haha have fun man.

Seriously its amusing as hell to see how your family turns out as the generations pass and their looks slightly change over time.

My first kid had a different skin and hair color, lol. From dirty brown to red hair, and several notches darker hair, lol.

I'm on my way.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
It seems like the online parts of the game js gimped again. Like I said in a previous thread, I bought the Chinese version of the game and features, like visiting other people's towns and dungeons, were not supported until about two months after the game was released. I hope this is not the case again. That would mean I've gotten burned the second time by this game, having bought this release again out of good faith:(

Hikami

It let me create a QR code once but then never worked again. Online features seem to be broken/buggy.
Wish I had saved the QR code though because now I'm starting to think I imagined it.

Parakeetman

It claims it does but I haven't been able to try it. It's one of the many things that prompts you to change network stuff in the settings, and every time I've tried to do that I've failed to get a connection.

It let me create a QR code once but then never worked again. Online features seem to be broken/buggy.
Wished I had saved the QR code though because now I'm starting to think I imagined it.

Damn.

Once that gets running can imagine the thread will be filled with folks trading their favorite family members around lol

My first kid had a different skin and hair color, lol. From dirty brown to red hair, and several notches darker hair, lol.

I'm on my way.

Its pretty cool when later down the line other physical features come into play, like horns, ears etc.

Uthred

a talking ferret would be amazing

She's a talking ferret in the field and battles, pretty amusing when she casts magic

One thing I am definitely having a hard time with is the slot machine mechanic. I haven't managed to get a single green text item yet. Since my understanding is that those are necessary to unlock new gods I'm pretty frustrated with how hard a time I am having with the slot machines...

As far as Ive seen you cannot get the green items until you fulfill a certain condition, after which theyre guranteed, the one I got was after killing 30 of a certain type of monster

Maid

Banned
Man, the game makes me feel like a douche whenever I think of bonding my clan member with a god, seeing the only thing floating around my mind is which gods will give me the best offspring. Can I beat the game with just choosing the gods I like only?

As far as Ive seen you cannot get the green items until you fulfill a certain condition, after which theyre guranteed, the one I got was after killing 30 of a certain type of monster

Is there any hint for the way to obtain those green items in the game? I don't really like the idea of going blindly and hope for the best, and having to read the walkthrough is not to my liking either.

Hikami

Is there any hint for the way to obtain those green items in the game? I don't really like the idea of going blindly and hope for the best, and having to read the walkthrough is not to my liking either.

I've been reading through Kochin's guides thing;

The green text on the spoils reel means there's a godly presence among the present enemies. To release the trapped gods you'll need to beat the enemy oni, but you'll also need to meet certain conditions while doing so. These conditions could be to do with the kind of weapons used, or any other aspect of battle.

She just says you should experiment and defeat them in different ways.

Amir0x

Banned
hehe this game is pretty swell. Although I gotta get used to an ever present ticking clock, I should have picked leisurely speed!

Shizuka

I'm on the second demon thingy where I need to find the shrine on the ice cavern, but I can't find it. Where is it?

Hikami

I'm on the second demon thingy where I need to find the shrine on the ice cavern, but I can't find it. Where is it?

I had a different dungeon for my second demon feast, it was in the fuji viewing glades.. and I couldn't find the shrine lol..
Ended up having to wait til the next year. It's best to try and go early and find the shrine before it's open. Then the month it's open you'll know where to go and find it.

Amir0x

Banned
Finding out how to reach the God things in a battle is purely experimentation? I didn't get to read the message in time.

None of my characters make it past 18 months of life, is that the real limit? I thought it was 2 years, 24 months. Also, I don't know if I'm the only one, but I feel kind of sad whenever a character dies. They list all the achievements they accomplished, followed by the date that they perished, all with this sad song in the background. You don't really get attached to the characters in terms of plot or anything, but the way they part away is really well done. The quote at the end is the icing on the cake aha.

Shizuka

I had a different dungeon for my second demon feast, it was in the fuji viewing glades.. and I couldn't find the shrine lol..
Ended up having to wait til the next year. It's best to try and go early and find the shrine before it's open. Then the month it's open you'll know where to go and find it.

I did that, I was there a month early and I still didn't find it.

Maid

Banned
I've been reading through Kochin's guides thing;

The green text on the spoils reel means there's a godly presence among the present enemies. To release the trapped gods you'll need to beat the enemy oni, but you'll also need to meet certain conditions while doing so. These conditions could be to do with the kind of weapons used, or any other aspect of battle.

She just says you should experiment and defeat them in different ways.

Well, yeah, I read that, and think it would be interesting if they leave the hint here and there, whatever it is, but when she told me it's all about trial and error, that's kinda off-putting, to be honest.

This game's visuals and art style surprisingly still look good even when blown up on the VitaTV. Most Vita games look pretty poor there, Oreshika certainly looks miles better than Tales of Hearts which is just played through on my TV.

Akuosa

None of my characters make it past 18 months of life, is that the real limit? I thought it was 2 years, 24 months. Also, I don't know if I'm the only one, but I feel kind of sad whenever a character dies. They list all the achievements they accomplished, followed by the date that they perished, all with this sad song in the background. You don't really get attached to the characters in terms of plot or anything, but the way they part away is really well done. The quote at the end is the icing on the cake aha.
The help text said their life spam is between a year and a half and two years, and so far I've got mine die at 18, 19 and 21 motnhs, so it seems to be random within that window. Or... maybe it's not random, but related to stats? vigor? something? Dunno, but it does fall between those numbers.

Parakeetman

Instead of singular characters its more the idea of your whole clan is what you get attached to and the bloodline (stats) that is shared between them. Which is why it can be pretty stressful if you do lose a particular family member without having offspring born first due to timing miscalculations lol.

I think there are other factors that also can raise / lower potential lifespan. Do not fully remember since have not played since launch in Japan, but there was something commenting on that it is actually not suggested to constantly mate with the same deity. Which I had figured meant that while the characters stats may go up, the potential lifespan might drop? But did not test it out in depth.

Seda

Unlocked the second festival. Also got my first weapon special skill (Bows). I like how quick battles can be - loading in and out takes no time at all.

Wondering if I should change my 'difficulty' to something a little more challenging.

ramyeon

I have no idea what I'm doing half the time with this game, but I am having fun regardless.

How do I unlock trades? I adopted a Gunner and he's awesome, but it's going to be sad not to be able to have his offspring be a gunner too.

Seda

I have no idea what I'm doing half the time with this game, but I am having fun regardless.

How do I unlock trades? I adopted a Gunner and he's awesome, but it's going to be sad not to be able to have his offspring be a gunner too.

You eventually can find items (from the slots) that unlock the other trades. I've gotten two more trades where I'm at.

ramyeon

You eventually can find items (from the slots) that unlock the other trades. I've gotten two more trades where I'm at.
Ah that's gonna be a pain. I'm terrible at getting what I want from those slots haha, I've only managed to land one green item so far.

Parakeetman

How do I create more space for more clan members? With Nueko and several old people that won't die, I have no room.

Story related with certain conditions met.

Something about having to have 30k $$$ on hand for the first upgrade then 75k for the 2nd one. There is some other requirement but am too busy right now to look it up exactly.

Story related then you gotta pay $$$ to Kou-chin.

I guess I need to get the next instrument then and hope that triggers it. Though that will cut it close as I'm not sure I will have time for several people to make children before they die. Ugh.
Something about having to have 30k $$$ on hand for the first upgrade then 75k for the 2nd one. There is some other requirement but am too busy right now to look it up exactly.
Huh, I've been investing my money, so maybe that's it.

Yep, as soon as I had enough money stockpiled, they offered me to expand my unit limit. They don't offer it until you have the money, so don't spend it all like I did until you expand.

Sera O

Banned
I'm a bit puzzled as to how to read the stats bars when looking to make offspring. At first I assumed that 'maternal' and 'paternal' meant the contributing parents and that I was meant to extrapolate from that what they would average out to. But, weirdly, enough when I was switching between different daddy gods, the maternal stats bars would change.

What does this mean, help.

In the first dungeon, it says I need a wooden tag to proceed. Is this a loot drop or do I need to go someplace I haven't found?

I invested some in my item shop and see that there's a wooden tag for sale in there, so that's one way to get it.

ramyeon

My current party after unlocking the second festival. So weird how I get attached to the characters despite how quick I cycle through them. Unlocked the Gunner trade, and I've seen Way of the Hammer pop up a few times but haven't been able to get it yet.

Still not entirely sure I know what I'm doing half the time.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Man it really looks great and it seems to be great, i said "seems" because it's a little confusing at the beginning, but there's a lot to do.

Siliconera has a really positive review.

When you talk about unlocking the gunner trade you mean the job right? Isn't that available since the beginning? My leader is a gunner.

Shengar

My current party after unlocking the second festival. So weird how I get attached to the characters despite how quick I cycle through them. Unlocked the Gunner trade, and I've seen Way of the Hammer pop up a few times but haven't been able to get it yet.

Still not entirely sure I know what I'm doing half the time.

So, this where were you now
brb buying Oreshika too

The game was way too easy early on (on Dedicated), but the difficulty has started to spike, I couldn't beat the 3rd instrument boss immediately after the 2nd, I'm having to spend a year to upgrade.

I'm finding dancers to be a pretty terrible class with how poor their damage output is. Halberdiers and Nueko fill that niche so much better.

Man it really looks great and it seems to be great, i said "seems" because it's a little confusing at the beginning, but there's a lot to do.

When you talk about unlocking the gunner trade you mean the job right? Isn't that available since the beginning? My leader is a gunner.

You select three jobs at the beginning, the rest need to be unlocked. So if you didn't pick Gunner at the start, you need to find it.

LAA

Yeah I was very confused and overwhelmed at the beginning, I had no idea what I was supposed to do, I thought they wanted to me to "clear" dungeons, but it seems you're only wanted to defeat some enemies in them. I beat the first dungeon yesterday, but couldnt figure out how to save, so presummed it auto saved, so closed the game and found it didn't save, but thinking its for the best really.

I have to agree with other comments though, the game looks stunning, much more than I thought it would, I thought the water paint style made it seem blurry in screenshots, but in action I find it very nice.

Top Bottom