• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscar Isaac Gives Update on Metal Gear Solid Movie

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

When speaking with ComicBook.com about his new graphic novel, Head Wounds: Sparrow, Oscar Isaac offered a tiny update on the Metal Gear Solid film. Now, it's not huge, but it is something. Isaac noted that fans should be excited and that he wants to make it before speaking highly of the film's potential due to his love of the game. There's no release window for the movie and it doesn't sound like it's gearing up to film anytime soon, but it's good to hear it's on Isaac's mind and that he's passionate about the project.

"We want it to happen," said Isaac. "Be excited. What's the script? What's the story? What's the take? [...] But hopeful that comes to fruition because there's so much potential for that. It's an incredible game. It's my favorite."

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I predict in 10 years we will see a shift in major blockbusters from comic-book-based to anime/videogame adaptations.

metal-gear-rising-metal-gear-rising-revengeance.gif

bitbydeath

This is actually a really difficult franchise to move to the silver screen, despite it being as cinematic as it has been historically.

Don't have high hopes for this.
It’s the easiest if they just use the source material. There’s around three hours of cut scenes, which includes codecs, and we all know some of that can be cut / shortened, add in the gameplay in between and voila, movie written.

It’s the easiest if they just use the source material. There’s around three hours of cut scenes, which includes codecs, and we all know some of that can be cut / shortened, add in the gameplay in between and voila, movie written.

Yeah, that's not quite how you put together a screenplay.

This might have been a decent action movie in the 90s as this was heavily inspired by Escape from New York and Speed e.t.c. but that doesn't work for today.

bitbydeath

Yeah, that's not quite how you put together a screenplay.

This might have been a decent action movie in the 90s as this was heavily inspired by Escape from New York and Speed e.t.c. but that doesn't work for today.
I respectfully disagree.
It doesn’t need a re-write, it’s perfect as is.

I respectfully disagree.
It doesn’t need a re-write, it’s perfect as is.
Perfect to you, but if you really think that is going to perform at the box office as is, I think you're mistaken.

Look at the production value and screenplay for things like Mission Impossible which are movies this is ultimately going to be put up against.

Please find me a similar movie that has executed well at the box office.

Kokoloko85

Maybe better suited as a HBO series for die hard fans? A commercial movie would strip it of what fans like and thats a hard taste for most gamers let alone a Hollywood movie. I love it btw a top 5 game for me

bitbydeath

Perfect to you, but if you really think that is going to perform at the box office as is, I think you're mistaken.

Look at the production value and screenplay for things like Mission Impossible which are movies this is ultimately going to be put up against.

Please find me a similar movie that has executed well at the box office.
MGS isn’t comparable to Mission Impossible, those movies are more about action than having a decent script. MGS is all about the drama and the story that unfolds, if they 1:1 it, it’d easily outperform any Mission Impossible film.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Konami is probably doing the exact same thing with MGS as they're doing with SH. Any dev or filmmaker can pitch their idea to Konami and they will be chosen if their reputation and ideas are good enough.

MGS isn’t comparable to Mission Impossible, those movies are more about action than having a decent script. MGS is all about the drama and the story that unfolds, if they 1:1 it, it’d easily outperform any Mission Impossible film.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Hence why you ignored my question of which film you'd compare it to in terms of structure and style and box office performance.

The answer is this is most a kin to the Kingsman movies. The last of which did only 126 million at the box office.

The reality is that this is even more boxed in than the King's Man with the first game taking place in just one location ala Die Hard.

Again, please find me a movie like this in modern times and the requisite box office performance that easily outperformed one of the biggest franchises in the history of cinema...

bitbydeath

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Hence why you ignored my question of which film you'd compare it to in terms of structure and style and box office performance.

The answer is this is most a kin to the Kingsman movies. The last of which did only 126 million at the box office.

The reality is that this is even more boxed in than the King's Man with the first game taking place in just one location ala Die Hard.

Again, please find me a movie like this in modern times and the requisite box office performance that easily outperformed one of the biggest franchises in the history of cinema...
There isn’t another movie like it, that’s the draw. It is a single location action movie like Die Hard, combined with bosses like a horror film, and a story that has a lot of twists and turns.

There isn’t another movie like it, that’s the draw. It is a single location action movie like Die Hard, combined with bosses like a horror film, and a story that has a lot of twists and turns.

"Boss" fights don't work in movies, but you don't realize that. If you think they're going to dedicate significant enough time to establish fights against Sniper Wolf, Psycho Mantis, Vulcan Raven, Revolver Ocelot, Cyborg Ninja, Liquid Snake x 2, you're too delusional to discuss with.

The twists and turns in Metal Gear are pedestrian at this point.

There is a reason they don't make 80s and 90s style action movies anymore. They stopped selling.

You clearly aren't up to date with cinema trends.

bitbydeath

"Boss" fights don't work in movies, but you don't realize that. If you think they're going to dedicate significant enough time to establish fights against Sniper Wolf, Psycho Mantis, Vulcan Raven, Revolver Ocelot, Cyborg Ninja, Liquid Snake x 2, you're too delusional to discuss with.

The twists and turns in Metal Gear are pedestrian at this point.

There is a reason they don't make 80s and 90s style action movies anymore. They stopped selling.

You clearly aren't up to date with cinema trends.
I disagree, they didn’t choose to stop making them, they just don’t know how. 80’s movies are still often seen as the better versions, eg. The Terminator and Predator movies.

I highly doubt this will ever materialize. If Sony bought the ip from Konami it may, cause everything they have is currently getting an adaptation. But like this, the mgs movie will probably go the way of Akira and never happen.

Power Pro

Oscar, I think I'm good man. I don't need an MGS movie. I've been a fan of the series for over 20 years, and I'm starting to get to the point of acceptance that it's dead and over with. Still love the games that exist, but I know the series is basically dead at this point without Kojima.

A movie could never do the story of MGS justice. Maybe a series could, but I still don't want these hollywood writers getting their hands on the franchise. They could never comprehend it well enough, and then we get another Halo series situation where they take the visuals of a well loved franchise, and make some bull shit that's nothing like the game it's based. No thanks.

jigglet

Banned
This is the sort of movie that would benefit from being in development hell and 200 script rewrites. It needs to be utterly convoluted to stay true to the source material.

Last edited:
I disagree, they didn’t choose to stop making them, they just don’t know how. 80’s movies are still often seen as the better versions, eg. The Terminator and Predator movies.
I think any creative team would have a very, very difficult time not only having to pitch this idea, but also trying to convince those same 80s fans like yourself that their new 80s style movie is worth seeing. Movie watchers and gamers are extremely picky when anything new tries to emulate something from a bygone era and they will nitpick that property to death just to prove that it isn't as good as things they're nostalgic for. So while the creative team is trying to hard to please those fans, they are at the same time alienating younger and casual audiences who are looking for something more modern.

Even something like Cobra Kai is honestly a lightning in a bottle situation because it was in a special situation where the Karate Kid movies were remembered but weren't as revered as something Terminator, Predator, or Aliens. So they had the creative liberties to make big changes to characters or the history of the franchise if needed. Older fans become really upset if you even try to touch the lore of the three movies I've mentioned above, and even when faced with a good sequel(Terminator Salvation, Prey) they were still nitpicked to death instead of celebrated. So how does one win?

bitbydeath

I think any creative team would have a very, very difficult time not only having to pitch this idea, but also trying to convince those same 80s fans like yourself that their new 80s style movie is worth seeing. Movie watchers and gamers are extremely picky when anything new tries to emulate something from a bygone era and they will nitpick that property to death just to prove that it isn't as good as things they're nostalgic for. So while the creative team is trying to hard to please those fans, they are at the same time alienating younger and casual audiences who are looking for something more modern.

Even something like Cobra Kai is honestly a lightning in a bottle situation because it was in a special situation where the Karate Kid movies were remembered but weren't as revered as something Terminator, Predator, or Aliens. So they had the creative liberties to make big changes to characters or the history of the franchise if needed. Older fans become really upset if you even try to touch the lore of the three movies I've mentioned above, and even when faced with a good sequel(Terminator Salvation, Prey) they were still nitpicked to death instead of celebrated. So how does one win?
You don’t think Uncharted would have been a better movie if it followed the source material?

Or the Dragonball movie?

Directors deviating away from the source material only brings issues, see Game of Thrones. Harry Potter would have also been crap if they decided to do their own thing.

93xfan

Banned
Love the franchise, but can’t see this movie satisfying fans or even being a decent movie. Maybe the latter…

EruditeHobo

The Terminator and Predator are nothing like the story as represented in MGS the game. There are not gigantic conversations -- huge reams of exposition, specific back and forth in great detail about plot and/or backstory, or sometimes long explorations of philosophy & existentialism -- in those movies.

The rule of cinema is generally "show don't tell" for a reason; a "1 to 1" adaptation would never work, and no one would even try. It would be a waste of money. They don't need to waste Oscar Isaac's time, or anyone else's... you can just watch this if this is what you want, which it seems to be:

Last edited:
You don’t think Uncharted would have been a better movie if it followed the source material?

Or the Dragonball movie?

Directors deviating away from the source material only brings issues, see Game of Thrones. Harry Potter would have also been crap if they decided to do their own thing.
I just wanted to clear the air here, my argument isn't the same as Mibu no ookami Mibu no ookami 's argument. I'm not implying it shouldn't follow source material. To be honest I'm not sure if many here are even suggesting that to begin with, so I'm not sure why the conversation was turned in that direction. I'm saying that source material must be slightly updated when going from game to film, the same way it is updated when going from book to film or manga to anime. The presentation simply does not work 1 to 1.

Too add onto that, the source material argument has absolutely nothing to do with the 80s theme that you're bringing up. I'd argue that any 80s theme that game has goes out of the window the minute Snake goes into the political intrigue aspect of the movie and meets a Cyber Ninja minutes later. MGS was one of the many trendsetters for 90s properties regardless of how the main character was inspired by a single character from a single 80s film. I think the film version should also not shackle itself by the bounds of being 'old school' just to please a small minority. If they want to do more popular things like one take action scenes(which a ton of 80s films did not do), or utilize a pacing that matches the espionage genre of today, then maybe that's the better call.

Edit: And I wanted to add a small opinion about Uncharted movie. If you look past the two main actors and how their characters' origin stories were changed, a lot of the film stayed true to the video games. Drake is visited by Sully who tells him that there's a new score of possible treasure. There's a bad guy with goons who is also 'racing' with them for the same treasure. They go from location to location finding clues that they books, maps, and other clues from the explorer of the past. Because of shaky allegiances, changing sides and betrayals happen due to Chloe. The issues are resolved, they team back up, epic set pieces happen between big bads and the protagonists and they end up finding out the secret in the end but only keeping a very small amount of the treasure(like the first 3 games). Doesn't that sound like Uncharted?

Last edited:

bitbydeath

I just wanted to clear the air here, my argument isn't the same as Mibu no ookami Mibu no ookami 's argument. I'm not implying it shouldn't follow source material. To be honest I'm not sure if many here are even suggesting that to begin with, so I'm not sure why the conversation was turned in that direction. I'm saying that source material must be slightly updated when going from game to film, the same way it is updated when going from book to film or manga to anime. The presentation simply does not work 1 to 1.

Too add onto that, the source material argument has absolutely nothing to do with the 80s theme that you're bringing up. I'd argue that any 80s theme that game has goes out of the window the minute Snake goes into the political intrigue aspect of the movie and meets a Cyber Ninja minutes later. MGS was one of the many trendsetters for 90s properties regardless of how the main character was inspired by a single character from a single 80s film. I think the film version should also not shackle itself by the bounds of being 'old school' just to please a small minority. If they want to do more popular things like one take action scenes(which a ton of 80s films did not do), or utilize a pacing that matches the espionage genre of today, then maybe that's the better call.

Edit: And I wanted to add a small opinion about Uncharted movie. If you look past the two main actors and how their characters' origin stories were changed, a lot of the film stayed true to the video games. Drake is visited by Sully who tells him that there's a new score of possible treasure. There's a bad guy with goons who is also 'racing' with them for the same treasure. They go from location to location finding clues that they books, maps, and other clues from the explorer of the past. Because of shaky allegiances, changing sides and betrayals happen due to Chloe. The issues are resolved, they team back up, epic set pieces happen between big bads and the protagonists and they end up finding out the secret in the end but only keeping a very small amount of the treasure(like the first 3 games). Doesn't that sound like Uncharted?
The argument was basically it wouldn’t work because it’s too much like 80’s an movies, I didn’t bring up the 80’s, that was Mibu no ookami Mibu no ookami .

My argument is that it should be adapted 1:1, meaning the story itself, taking parts away is fine but no adding extra filler segments.

A movie would work because the game is around three hours already without editing.

A short TV show could also work, but not be padded with filler to reach 8+ episodes, just however many it needs.

bitbydeath

The Terminator and Predator are nothing like the story as represented in MGS the game. There are not gigantic conversations -- huge reams of exposition, specific back and forth in great detail about plot and/or backstory, or sometimes long explorations of philosophy & existentialism -- in those movies.

The rule of cinema is generally "show don't tell" for a reason; a "1 to 1" adaptation would never work, and no one would even try. It would be a waste of money. They don't need to waste Oscar Isaac's time, or anyone else's... you can just watch this if this is what you want, which it seems to be:

I agree on the first point, but not the second. The visuals don’t need to be 1:1 in all cases but the story should be.

Last edited:
I don't have any particular issue with Oscar Isaac, but I don't want Hollywood anywhere near MGS. Unless you hire Kojima himself to direct (with full creative control), fuck off.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
MGS as a 1:1 adaptation is boring and unfilmable. It's not even that good of a material source to try with.

It's largely just derivative been-there-done-that fan fiction, closely apeing the of action Hollywood even down to the protagonist's name and character traits. It's put together with niche manga influences or anime tropes which typically breath deeply and indulge in sniffing their own farts for too long while trying to make a point.

As a video game, it works, because video games are fucking retarded.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I love MGS franchise, I'm more into the story, than playing the games, though, so... with that.. I don't think he's good for the role. I've also seen too much of him (Oscar Isaac) within the last 5 years.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
I mean seriously why open your mouth with nothing to show for. How many years now have we heard him talking about making an MGS movie…….
Skeleton Facepalm GIF by BRIT Awards

Last edited:
"Still in planning phase" is better than keeping silent. For the time being, I am just treating this as the film equivalent of vapourware.

Ben87fr

I love you Oscar but when i see on Imdb that one of the writers is Derek Connolly i don't know but i think this film should not be made, fuck's sake stop it with videogame adaptations !

Top Bottom