• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscars 2023: Naatu Naatu song from Indian film RRR primed to make history

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

Is it just me, or is it an utterly shit and boring song?

And dancing and cinematography isn't even that good for what its supposed to be.

It is a boring song. It's so telling that quality doesn't count anymore, the only thing that's important is ethnicity: "First time oscar for best supporting actor oscar goes to a deaf actor" ... "First oscar for best cinematography won by a disabled Mexican midget" ... "First time a blind seamstress wins the oscar for best costume design" ...

And Hollywood is still wondering why nobody is watching the Oscars anymore ...

Tams

It is a boring song. It's so telling that quality doesn't count anymore, the only thing that's important is ethnicity: "First time oscar for best supporting actor oscar goes to a deaf actor" ... "First oscar for best cinematography won by a disabled Mexican midget" ... "First time a blind seamstress wins the oscar for best costume design" ...

And Hollywood is still wondering why nobody is watching the Oscars anymore ...

Yeah. It isn't catchy and funny, like say Gangnam Style. Or absurd and funny like PPAP. Or fun and energetic like Jai Ho and Paper Planes.

Lasha

And dancing and cinematography isn't even that good for what its supposed to be.

It's just you. The song and video is hype and it was a sensation around south and southeast Asia. The fact that a Telagu film blew up is pretty cool. I would have picked Dholida from gangubai though. RRR really overshadowed a lot of films.

It’s a crap song. But when you think about it - most songs nominated for Oscars these days are crap.
The Best Song category has been a complete joke since they gave the award to It's Hard Out Here For A Pimp.

I was into that music at the time but even I was like wtf when 3 6 Mafia were performing at the Oscars lol

HAYA8U5A

After that trainwreck performance of, "This Is A Life" this didn't seem so bad. I thought David Byrne was bad on the Miley Cyrus New Year thing but he took it to an even lower low tonight. He needs to avoid live performances that expose how shit his singing is.

Scotty W

Every piece of this story is false.

The plot of the film is fake, revisionist history.
The idea that Bollywood isn’t popular in the West because of un-inclusivity-- no, it is just stupid.
The idea that the popularity of the song and dance is organic.
The idea that this song by winning an Oscar this song will shatter some glass ceiling- no, IF it wins, it will win because the Oscars want to push a politically motivated narrative which conveniently positions the Oscars themselves as the axis mundi.

Tams

It's just you. The song and video is hype and it was a sensation around south and southeast Asia. The fact that a Telagu film blew up is pretty cool. I would have picked Dholida from gangubai though. RRR really overshadowed a lot of films.
Even in this thread that's not true.

I can't see how you can possibly think it's a good song. It doesn't even have a catchy beat!

And as for the film; it's nationalist revisionist bollocks.

I understand why it's so popular in south and southeast Asia; it tells a story people want to hear. But it's nowhere near the truth, and really rather racist.

Last edited:

Lasha

I can't see how you can possibly think it's a good song. It doesn't even have a catchy beat!

I understand why it's so popular in south and southeast Asia; it tells a story people want to hear. But it's nowhere near the truth, and really rather racist.

Angry brit?

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
It's not often anymore that the Oscars actually get things right, but this year they actually nailed it. Michelle and Branden got their much deserved best actor awards and Everything Everywhere All At Once got a fucking truckload of awards.

Meanwhile Top Gun and Elvis mostly got shunned. Thank fucking god. There is hope yet for the industry.

Last edited:
Got any recommendations then for similar but better movies? I'm down for crazy fights and punching down tigers any day.

I've been turned off Bollywood for a long time until they started to diversify their storytelling

Best ones I seen

Tumbbad (Surprisingly great Horror)
Gully Boy
Padmaavat
Gangubai Kaithwaidi

Those are the ones that immediately come to mind

I'm planning on watching more

It's not often anymore that the Oscars actually get things right, but this year they actually nailed it. Michelle and Branden got their much deserved best actor awards and Everything Everywhere All At Once got a fucking truckload of awards.

Meanwhile Top Gun and Elvis mostly got shunned. Thank fucking god. There is hope yet for the industry.

What's wrong with Top Gun and Elvis?

Nobody_Important

What's wrong with Top Gun and Elvis?
They were both highly nominated despite not deserving it? Though I will say Austin Butler absolutely did a great job as Elvis. He absorbed that role and acted out of his mind despite the shit writing and directing. He was basically Tom Brady trying to get a Super Bowl Ring while playing for the Browns. He did the best he could with what was given, but even then he can't perform miracles.

Top Gun on the other hand was just......not worthy of most of its nominations. The fact they got some of the nods they did was hilarious to me. Thank god they were mostly shut out though and didn't set a precedent.

Last edited:
They were both highly nominated despite not deserving it? Though I will say Austin Butler absolutely did a great job as Elvis. He absorbed that role and acted out of his mind despite the shit writing and directing. He was basically Tom Brady trying to get a Super Bowl Ring while playing for the Browns.

Top Gun was just......lol

Well Elvis I mostly liked for Tom Hanks Performance as an actual bad guy. It was different to see

I loved Top Gun Maverick and this is coming from someone who hated the first movie lol

Nobody_Important

Well Elvis I mostly liked for Tom Hanks Performance as an actual bad guy. It was different to see

I loved Top Gun Maverick and this is coming from someone who hated the first movie lol
I'm the opposite. The first movie was actually good and well made. Maverick meanwhile was just a nostalgia masturbation circus combined with the usual US military jingoism that get elevated despite their obvious flaws either due to public outcry or box office performance.

Elvis meanwhile was a wreck, but Butler basically was the league MVP where the team he was on should never have been in the conversation. He was like if you put Tom Brady on the 2008 Detroit Lions. He was one of the ONLY saving graces.

Last edited:
The movie is batshit crazy fun though, if you haven't seen RRR then check it out it's the most bro film in years and the fighting and stunts in it are great to watch.
It’s only good to people who’ve not seen Bollywood/Tollywood movies before. Otherwise, it’s cringey.

Last edited:

reksveks

Its as good as Jai Ho as a song.

I don't particularly care for bollywood films unless they have a meaningful take about the issues in India aka taking the piss out of the religious zealots.

I do think there is an element of 'first time Americans have seen a bollywood film' and even if there is better historical bollywood songs, it's not competing with those. It's competing with the nominations of this year.

I think I’d place Tumbbad is in my top ten movies of all time. I’m a vert hard person to please when it comes to visual media but I was very positively surprised by that movie - I originally could not believe that this was a movie from India.

Tumbbad is great

I wish Bollywood would make more films like it. I do know it's a independent film

Spaceman292

Banned

Casting Brits as villains isn't racist. We like it, honestly.

Quasicat

The last Academy Awards show I saw was when La La Land won the Oscar for best picture as well as several other awards. That was a great moment for film and was a high point for the Academy Awards. When Warren Beaty gave out the award and the director gave that amazing speech…I cannot imagine watching another Academy Awards show that comes close to that final show that I watched.

I hope they can always keep the integrity that they had that evening.

ShadowNate

These dance moves are a good way to cause serious injuries to yourself and other people dancing around you.
Too aggressive for my taste.

The song is meh, but I've heard worse.

Spaceman292

Banned
These dance moves are a good way to cause serious injuries to yourself and other people dancing around you.
Too aggressive for my taste.

The song is meh, but I've heard worse.
wtf kind of remark is that

'Those men are dancing too EXUBERANTLY!they could hurt themselves!!!!'

Literally sounds like the brit villain in the movie

I've been turned off Bollywood for a long time until they started to diversify their storytelling

Best ones I seen

Tumbbad (Surprisingly great Horror)
Gully Boy
Padmaavat
Gangubai Kaithwaidi

Those are the ones that immediately come to mind

I'm planning on watching more
Fuking gangubai lol. That is shit.
He asked for crazy fight movies.

Bahuballi would have been better recommendation.

ShadowNate

wtf kind of remark is that

'Those men are dancing too EXUBERANTLY!they could hurt themselves!!!!'

Literally sounds like the brit villain in the movie
:D I was actually reminded of me in my club years. Uncontrollable limbs. Slapped quite a few people accidentally. Maybe kicked too.

Top Bottom