• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Other publishers are considering raising game prices for PS5 and Xbox Series X

Chromata

We really need to gang up as a gaming community and tell them to FUCK OFF with this shit. Last gen they charged 10 USD extra and no need to provide a box or ship the thing with digital. In Canada this will end up 100$ for a game with taxes. People are losing their jobs and are getting their basic rights eroded right now. We should send them a straight message about this

Yes, this new increase will mean that 4-5 games will cost as much as an entire new console in Canada.

This is going to hurt the publisher too because less people will pay $100 for a new game and games aren't getting any cheaper to make. Something has to change.

Poop!

Little history, Xbox 360 first party titles starting at launch were all $49.99. Only once Gears of War launch just barely a year later did MS increase the price of first party games to $59.99.

Caffeine

Little history, Xbox 360 first party titles starting at launch were all $49.99. Only once Gears of War launch just barely a year later did MS increase the price of first party games to $59.99.
i think a lot of games followed suit when activision priced call of duty 2 at 60 bucks back in 05.

Poop!

i think a lot of games followed suit when activision priced call of duty 2 at 60 bucks back in 05.

And that was a launch title. Yes, Activison started the extra $10 and third parties followed but MS kept first party games at $50 for a year then caved with Gears due to it's extremely high budget.

DavJay

$60 is fine. People are forgetting devs are holding back content in the form of dlcs anyway. Games been practically $90-$100 for a while now. If you think making them $70 will stop the dlc milking, think again. Everyone is fine with $60.

bender

What time is it?
I've been expecting a price increase with the new generation. It just feels like the "right" time as we haven't seen a price increase for a while. A lot of publishers offer multiple digital editions of games lately, but Sony has really stuck out to me. A lot of their games have a deluxe edition that is $10 more and usually doesn't include much in-game content but instead soundtracks, avatars, themes, etc. That always kind of felt like a litmus test to see how receptive people would be to a $69.99 price point. And no I don't think those deluxe editions are going to go away anymore than MTX and DLC are. Now that 2K has broken the $59.99 barrier, I expect most everyone else to follow suit.

A price increase isn't the best news but it doesn't bother me either. Games are more expensive to make and the majority of the games I purchase at launch aren't predatory.

Last edited:

emmerrei

Here in Italy the price is 69,99€ (tax included) from the PS2 generation if i recall, and the average paywage is always the same, so an increase isn't very well seen from my point. Certain stores even sell the games at 75€ (85$). Just insane.

Silvawuff

I know people are up in arms about this, but we've been paying this price (and more) for years now with collector's editions, DLCs etc. I know the argument here is we'd be paying more for just the base game, but for some perspective we're already there. I always say I'll get the base game, then end up buying the deluxe-whatever one and may or may not even play or use the extras.

This seems like a bad plan, since we're staring into the Marianas Trench of a economic depression. I'd expect if games launched like this, they'd bomb in price fast as they scramble to make initial sales back.

DavJay

I’d argue games should be much cheaper. Devs and publishers are making more than ever now thanks to the rise of digital media. There’s not as much distribution, middleman or material cost and more and more gamers are converting to digital including myself. What ever they sell pretty much goes in their pocket versus giving $15 off every game sold to walmart plus freight and material. My point is they are making enough back to keep $60 viable but 2k is the first to be greedy to try and set a standard.

MrS

Banned
I can go and pay for any anime streaming service and have 1000s and 1000s of shows lined up for years on end watching something like One piece can take you now a whole year to catch up on now. How much value does a $60 game bring you either get games that can take 100 hour+ to beat or you get games that can be beating a single sitting to a single afternoon.
More than 1000 animes ever could.

Top Bottom