• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OutRun 2 SP SDX; a genuinely perfect game. But what is YOUR perfect game Gaf?

VGEsoterica

Perfection is basically an unobtainable goal. As a working filmmaker one of the first things you try and understand and teach others is that nothing is ever "perfect"...its just "as good as it can be and its time to move on". So throwing the P word around for a video game means its GOTTA BE GOOD.

OutRun 2 and by extension OutRun 2 SP is just a straight up perfect 10/10. The stunning for the time visuals, the outstanding soundtrack, the bright colorways...but most important the the handling mechanics. Sega and IMO no other developer has ever nailed "Arcade physics" better than what you get to experience in OutRun 2. Perfect drifts, drafting, swerving around and shooting between cars...its just exactly what you would want from an arcade racing game in the handling department. It's basically the evolution of the Daytona USA / Scud Race handling system dialed up to 11

and thankfully compared to a lot of Sega arcade racing games it was ported to everything; Xbox, PS2, PS3...and it even got a port...in arcades! Sega transitioned the game from Chihiro (Xbox with 128MB of RAM) to Lindberg for increased visual performance as an other upgrade to SP titled SP SDX. It was such a successful game Sega literally ported it into another arcade platform.

But GAF...what is your nomination for perfect game? The game that does absolutely everything right in your eyes and doesn't let you down in a single category. I really would be curious because IMO there aren't many "perfect" games out there. Even my favorite game of all time, Grim Fandango, could never be described as perfect as the controls are HORRIBLE lol

Although Ocarina of Time is the best game ever in my opinion, it's not a perfect game.

But these two are:

A Link to the Past
Super Mario World

Reactions: Gp1

Dipship31

640px-Rocket_League_coverart.jpg

SOUKY - SEGA Saturn

Manic Minner - ZX Spectrum

Sega Rally - SEGA Saturn

Super Metroid - SNES

Super Mario IV - SNES

Exhumed - Saturn

Decathlete - Saturn

Sensible Soccer

Revenge Of Shinobi - MD

REZ

Drakes 2 - PS2

Lunar 2 - Mega CD

JSRF - XBox

SuperMonkey Ball - GameCube

Pejo

SotN, Nioh 2, Chrono Trigger, and Sonic & All-Stars Racing: Transformed for me.

Never played that Outrun before in the OP, but it looks good. Man I miss arcade racers.

PanzerCute

SOUKY - SEGA Saturn

Manic Minner - ZX Spectrum

Sega Rally - SEGA Saturn

Super Metroid - SNES

Super Mario IV - SNES

Exhumed - Saturn

Decathlete - Saturn

Sensible Soccer

Revenge Of Shinobi - MD

REZ

Drakes 2 - PS2

Lunar 2 - Mega CD

JSRF - XBox

SuperMonkey Ball - GameCube
When I saw your nickname and avatar, I was sure you were gonna add Panzer Dragoon 1 or Orta to that list.
Orta is a 10/10 for me, and it's the first thing I bought when I received my SeX.

When I saw your nickname and avatar, I was sure you were gonna add Panzer Dragoon 1 or Orta to that list.
Orta is a 10/10 for me, and it's the first thing I bought when I received my SeX.
Panzer Dragoon is my fav game of all time, but the frame rate lets it down a little. Orta is amazing but it's features 2 lame Ep's (for me)
I was so temped to put Zwei in there, but I feel, I'll be called out for it LOL

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Hmmm hard to think across all the genres... a few random ones that have a feeling of perfection within their goals:

- Link's Awakening (original GB version)
- Half Life 2
- Super Mario 3
- Metroid Prime
- Portal

100% right on DK94

but Galaxy 2... no, I prefer the original by a mile

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It's just Outrun 2 SP content on a large deluxe or super deluxe (SDX) cabinet, which you aren't playing on here so, it's the same game. You do get frame drops at various places with TeknoParrot here going by your video so maybe grab the old PC Coast 2 Coast port (if it's not due to recording on top). Granted originally Coast 2 Coast on PC was a bit borked and missed effects even in the console versions but on the other hand it was the only one able to run in higher resolution than even the arcade game so it kind of evens out. Mods have restored some of the missing/borked stuff since.

Breakdown here, though it doesn't make it much easier as it's quite a convoluted case and there's really no definitive edition as even some otherwise lesser versions have extra content others don't.

I wouldn't call anything Sega their best, they have many top tier games on the same level and simply radically different. Driving on long stretches of road with samey turns and ever-increasing traffic/obstacles is just too different to racing tracks, real or fantasy, in Daytona or whatever else. Having an easy to trigger and fun drift mechanic that becomes hard because of said ever increasing obstacles doesn't make it more satisfying than drifting or other systems that are a bit more technically demanding or not even the core aspect and challenge or fun of other racers. But that's clickbait, like bumping your threads by feigning replying, to one by one, with hours of breaks even though you've made posts after them already. Or making threads to self advertise to begin with in every forum you can google, with the forums with less traffic not even gracing any bumps, just the video, showing that Gaf indeed matters to your traffic even though previously you boasted it's only a tiny percentage of it so that's not why you do this, yet here you are still making threads, still bumping your threads still only ever having your own content threads even though your content isn't anything new so if it really interested you you'd have posted a thread before or posted the content of others that got you interested in the first place, but nope, somehow that never happens, it's only ever your own content you deem interesting enough for threads, as if you ever say or show anything unknown or new. Not to mention how often you misrepresent the games or hardware with wrong information, bad emulation videos, wrong framerates, bad gameplay and so on, so many of your Dreamcast/Naomi videos are 30fps when the games are 60, it's hilariously bad content others did better years ago.

Last edited:
World of Warcraft. Not my first MMO not my last, but it's probably the most perfect imo incarnation of that kind of formula. While I haven't played it in some time I've no doubt it would be so easy to sink into it again to lose thousands and thousands of hours. It's easily my 'alone on an island with one title forever' game.

VGEsoterica

World of Warcraft. Not my first MMO not my last, but it's probably the most perfect imo incarnation of that kind of formula. While I haven't played it in some time I've no doubt it would be so easy to sink into it again to lose thousands and thousands of hours. It's easily my 'alone on an island with one title forever' game.
A genre I never got into

Although Ocarina of Time is the best game ever in my opinion, it's not a perfect game.

But these two are:

A Link to the Past
Super Mario World
I'm not gonna mention what i think about Ocarina of Time, but A Link to the Past and Super Mario World are perfect games. 100/100. Timeless masterpieces, two perfect storms.

No games in the genres or series have even come close to topping them imo.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Tetris was already said, so I will just have to said it again. Tetris.

And MGS2. That game was so good. For years after it I would play a game and be surprised that they did not have what MSG2 got, like reflexions on glass and having the character walk stairs correctly. This and the making of that was with it was amazing.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
GTA III
SSX Tricky
Need For Speed: Underground
Bioshock
The Last of Us
The Last of Us: Part II

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Sega Rally 2 is better than Outrun 2006..... but both are still godly in their own right :)

If i ever become a god at programming the first thing i'll do with all my newfound skill is attempt to decompile Sega Rally 2, and leave the code out for all the people to see. then port over all of the Sega rally 1 stages, add modding capability, online functionality, and sit back and watch as the Sega community creates the best arcade rally game of all time

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Yeah played outrun and outrun 2 to death on xbox and x360, absolute blast; the songs are top tier too, and also featured in Bayonetta's outrun inspired stages.
Online was weird though, everyone was using F40s and just completely destroyed me every time.

Havoc2049

I love the original Outrun 2 on the XB the best. It's also great in 720p on the X360. I enjoyed the game modes, the progression and unlockable system in Outrun 2 better than Coast 2 Coast. The unlockable SCUD Racer and Daytona USA 2 tracks were great and having the original Outrun arcade as an unlockable was great as well in Outrun 2.

Thanati

Mine has to be Populous 2. That game was perfect. Excellent balance, looked and sounded wonderful and just incredible atmosphere.

Second place would be Speedball 2.

Love racing games, just have very little time these days. Actually own Outrun 2 for Xbox, and after browsing that video, I'm really looking forward to playing it one day lol

Burnout 2 was the crème de la crème for me back in that era. I've enjoyed subsequent Burnout games, but not quite as much as 2, it nearly perfected what was put together with the first entry.

I'll throw that in the mix as my choice.

Top Bottom