• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch 2 making it up to players with a single charm and skin

tvdaXD

Source: Twitter

That’s it?! A single charm and a legendary skin?
With the amount of issues Overwatch has caused this is not near enough. I can already see people typing: “But it’s a $20,- legendary skin” NO IT’S NOT.
You used to pay $40,- for an entire, full game filled with thousands of amazing assets. Now $20,- for a single skin? Absolute insanity, it’s worth €1,- MAX.
How is a company that’s worth billions not able to just rent servers for a launch like this? How is a company worth billions not able to compensate us for their incompetence and our lost time?

This is an absolute joke, and whomever thinks this is acceptable is part of the problem with todays gaming landscape.

Rant over.

Last edited:

With the amount of issues Overwatch has caused this is not near enough. I can already see people typing: “But it’s a $20,- legendary skin” NO IT’S NOT.
You used to pay $40,- for an entire, full game filled with thousands of amazing assets. Now $20,- for a single skin? Absolute insanity, it’s worth €1,- MAX.
How is a company that’s worth billions not able to just rent servers for a launch like this? How is a company worth billions not able to compensate us for their incompetence and our lost time?

This is an absolute joke, and whomever thinks this is acceptable is part of the problem with todays gaming landscape.

Is this game doing good?

Sales wise?

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
You had issues with a free-to-play game and you're claiming you're entitled to more free stuff thatn the free stuff they're giving? And you even get pissy about it?

Kid nowadays... 😂

You're right tho. Someone in this thread is definitely "part of the problem with today's gaming landscape." Only, that someone is not who you think they are 😂

Last edited:

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
denzel GIF

Rykan

It's literally a free-to-play game.

You paid for a game-as-a-service which ended its service, as it usually happens for all games-as-a-service at some point.
This is a silly argument

Overwatch 2 is Overwatch 1. The only reason it's called Overwatch 2 is because it's a free to play relaunch. Overwatch 1's service didn't "end". It was just rebranded, as is evident by the fact that your content from OW1 "transfers" over to OW2.

People have paid for the game and its content and they are right to complain about it if the service they've paid for isn't accessible.

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

The issues with this game are getting overblown. Only had server issues on the first two days and that was probably due to the actual DDoS attacks they had. Any bugs that pop up are getting fixed pretty fast. You can have issues with their monetization but don't pretend the game isn't good.
That being said this is a terrible way to make up for the issues, at least make it one free skin and charm of your own choice. Thats the least they can do.

EDMIX

This is a silly argument

Overwatch 2 is Overwatch 1. The only reason it's called Overwatch 2 is because it's a free to play relaunch. Overwatch 1's service didn't "end". It was just rebranded, as is evident by the fact that your content from OW1 "transfers" over to OW2.

People have paid for the game and its content and they are right to complain about it if the service they've paid for isn't accessible.

Agreed, especially in such a short time frame, I mean BF4 is literally still playable online folks lol

tvdaXD

The issues with this game are getting overblown. Only had server issues on the first two days and that was probably due to the actual DDoS attacks they had. Any bugs that pop up are getting fixed pretty fast. You can have issues with their monetization but don't pretend the game isn't good.
There's more, the game is literally causing BSOD's when using NVIDIA Broadcast. On top of that, the original game ran way better, was way more polished and wasn't a lamepass grindfest.

ParaSeoul

There's more, the game is literally causing BSOD's when using NVIDIA Broadcast. On top of that, the original game ran way better, was way more polished and wasn't a lamepass grindfest.
I haven't had any issues on PS5 but I'm sorry to hear that. So strange a primarily PC associated developer now owned by Microsoft released a game with more issues on PC and Xbox.

phil_t98

#SonyToo

Rant over.

how much did you pay for the game?

Elitro

For a couple of days i have had no more issues now. Will try to capitalize on these double xp weekends if possible to see if i can reach 55 :)

Nocturno999

You had issues with a free-to-play game and you're claiming you're entitled to more free stuff thatn the free stuff they're giving? And you even get pissy about it?

Kid nowadays... 😂

You're right tho. Someone in this thread is definitely "part of the problem with today's gaming landscape." Only, that someone is not who you think they are 😂
Blizzard deleted retail OW 1 for this PoS.

Played a few hours worth and I’m happy with that. Can’t see myself going back to it in a hurry. Server launch issues put me off quite a bit if I’m honest.

Calverz

Rant over.
Did you play battlefield 4 on console at launch? I remember what we got for it, fuck all. Grow up

EDMIX

Did you play battlefield 4 on console at launch? I remember what we got for it, fuck all. Grow up

Sure, but to be fair....its not like BF4 launched by closing servers to BF3. So I don't disagree with you that we've seen some bad launches, but I agree with tvdaXD tvdaXD that we also shouldn't be making it a normal thing.

This game is not even just launching badly, its stopping you from playing its past title to force this crap on consumers.

So I think you both make great points and this should be talked about. We can't just be like "Well BF4 launched like" xyz, I agree as I was there at launch with you man, the game was literally unplayable for like a year, but I don't think that should now be an excuse for titles to release in this state.

Filben

Life service Games do have advantages. However, it's interesting how no one but a minority cares about services that get shut down despite having paid for and how easily people are like "that's the way it is".

Publishers can fuck you and sue you over for keeping a dead game alive, yet they don't care about their game themselves enough to let it run.

I think every GaaS should become software as is, let the community host own servers and play the game how they want it. Like you can still play CoD1 or Enemy Territory if you wanted to. There's no law saying that life service Games have to die once the publisher/dev moves on; no one says they gotta host servers and keep em alive for a "dead" game. (Also, how about calling the game finished as in finally developed and only call it dead when less than 1000 players play it?).

As of now, the state life service gaming is in, I wouldn't invest a single Euro into these games. You never know when they'll pull the plug and history have shown they're neither good nor interested in preserving games or certain versions.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Life service Games do have advantages. However, it's interesting how no one but a minority cares about services that get shut down despite having paid for and how easily people are like "that's the way it is".

Publishers can fuck you and sue you over for keeping a dead game alive, yet they don't care about their game themselves enough to let it run.

I think every GaaS should become software as is, let the community host own servers and play the game how they want it. Like you can still play CoD1 or Enemy Territory if you wanted to. There's no law saying that life service Games have to die once the publisher/dev moves on; no one says they gotta host servers and keep em alive for a "dead" game. (Also, how about calling the game finished as in finally developed and only call it dead when less than 1000 players play it?).

As of now, the state life service gaming is in, I wouldn't invest a single Euro into these games. You never know when they'll pull the plug and history have shown they're neither good nor interested in preserving games or certain versions.

Agreed.

I think consumers should fight to get some law on the books that argues after a game dies, the community has the option to host servers on their own or something as they did pay for a product.

I think its fair for both sides.

The publisher is already done with the game and moving on and simply can argue that once their support is done, they legally are not liable.

The consumer gets to continue to play what they paid for. I think in this age of gaming ,we need more to protect consumers as normally I wouldn't even give a shit about such things, but this game fucking released 6 years ago, we literally have games that released well over a decade ago that still have servers up and to do this in a scummy way right before 2 releases to push consumers towards some newer title is even more predatory

SCB3

There were server issues for what 3 days? Just play something else and wait for it to smooth out, that’s what I did, not had any issues since Thursday last week

Fucking entitlement on some people these day is unreal

EDMIX

There were server issues for what 3 days? Just play something else and wait for it to smooth out, that’s what I did, not had any issues since Thursday last week

Fucking entitlement on some people these day is unreal

Well I don't think its just that, I think its merely the nature of how this game released. If they didn't get rid of the first game, they could just play that while this game was being patched or something.

So....it means gamers paid for a game, it got removed to push them towards a game they can't even play currently. So...when you say "just play something else"...think about the community you are talking about.

They took away that "something else". If they JUST play overwatch, they are stuck playing nothing, so of course they will be more upset as you replaced the first game which was stable with something that is not.

SCB3

So....it means gamers paid for a game, it got removed to push them towards a game they can't even play currently. So...when you say "just play something else"...think about the community you are talking about.
Yea I did it was for a few days, it’s annoying but not a deal breaker

EDMIX

Yea I did it was for a few days, it’s annoying but not a deal breaker
It may not be a deal breaker for you, but consider the hardcore Overwatch fans that liked 1 and had a whole community there.

I can see how that can make anyone upset and I don't even like this IP, but I understand how those communities are and this seems a bit unfair to remove a game to try to force another on the community. I think a smart thing to do is merely return that service while patching Overwatch 2 and allow the community to naturally migrate vs this forced thing. You get to play Overwatch 2, those fans of 1 get to keep playing that until 2 is fixed, everyone wins.

I think this was the wrong way of going about launching a new MP game as we know they launch with issues all the time, but they should have kept that original game intact for the time being anyway. I mean, look at how much of us were playing BFV, BF4 etc when 2042 was being patched? lol (still being updated, but a conversation for another day)

Rykan

so a game you get for free you expect more from and charge for skins and things
I love the thought process here. Aside from the fact that it is blatantly wrong (The pvp section of OW2 isn't a new game, it's a minor alteration of the original OW, which is why there aren't two versions of it) you do realize that people spend money on "Free to play" games, right?

Calverz

No I played it on PC. But I guess since they also set a bad example we have to accept this now? No thanks. I'll be vocal about it while you get bent over, have a nice day.
I’m not saying it should be acceptable. But you are moaning at a lack of compensation like a little bitch. They owe you nothing. It’s free to play. Stop being entitled.

geary

OW 2 is an expansion basically. I dont see ppl making a fus when a MMO expansion is rolled out and some mechanics are changed.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I love the thought process here. Aside from the fact that it is blatantly wrong (The pvp section of OW2 isn't a new game, it's a minor alteration of the original OW, which is why there aren't two versions of it) you do realize that people spend money on "Free to play" games, right?

you don't need to spend money that's the point. the game is free to play

All the content you owned in OW1 was transfered and is available for you to use in OW2.

Yes, it's a content patch.

Yes, it's had a rough launch.

Here's a little something for your inconvenience.

I'm missing the big deal here.

If it's a veil for another 5v5 complaint and you're one of those people who laments the loss of a 2 tank meta, I'm just gonna laugh at you.

Shut0wen

Rant over.
Seevers were offline for 2 days, they dont owe you anything, wasnt there fault some freak was DDOS them

Rykan

Yeah, but not to play the game. The game is free to play
you don't need to spend money that's the point. the game is free to play
That is completely irrelevant. People have paid money on features/items to use within the game. They can't use these features if the game is unavailable, now can they? Never mind that a large portion of people playing OW2 are people who purchased OW1 & spend additional money on OW1. You can't just take a product people already paid for, slap a new label on it and then say:"This is a new product that you've never paid for, so you're not entitled to anything"
All the content you owned in OW1 was transfered and is available for you to use in OW2.

Yes, it's a content patch.

Yes, it's had a rough launch.

Here's a little something for your inconvenience.

I'm missing the big deal here.

If it's a veil for another 5v5 complaint and you're one of those people who laments the loss of a 2 tank meta, I'm just gonna laugh at you.
I actually agree, I think the compensation is fine. I just feel a need to correct people when they say: "The game is free, you're not entitled to anything" when that simply isn't the case for a lot if not most people.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
That is completely irrelevant. People have paid money on features/items to use within the game. They can't use these features if the game is unavailable, now can they? Never mind that a large portion of people playing OW2 are people who purchased OW1 & spend additional money on OW1. You can't just take a product people already paid for, slap a new label on it and then say:"This is a new product that you've never paid for, so you're not entitled to anything"

I actually agree, I think the compensation is fine. I just feel a need to correct people when they say: "The game is free, you're not entitled to anything" when that simply isn't the case for a lot if not most people.

if you didn't own overwatch can you play this game? yes. is this game free for people who never played overwatch? yes

Rykan

if you didn't own overwatch can you play this game? yes. is this game free for people who never played overwatch? yes
Did people who own ow1 pay for it? Yes.
I genuinely don't understand your logic here. Why does blizzard making a paid product suddenly free for everyone mean that the people who have paid for it are no longer entitled to service they've paid for?

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Did people who own ow1 pay for it? Yes.
I genuinely don't understand your logic here. Why does blizzard making a paid product suddenly free for everyone mean that the people who have paid for it are no longer entitled to service they've paid for?

again can you still play overwatch yes. do you need to pay for anything when you play it? no

hemo memo

Gold Member
They could make it up to me by killing OW2 and bringing back OW1
OW2 IS OW1 though. It is just a number they slapped over. Think of it like if Destiny would add a number for every expansion we would at what now 6? It is the same. This OW2 is just a rebranding to attract more players.

Last edited:
Top Bottom