• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch 2 making it up to players with a single charm and skin

tvdaXD

You're not entitled to shit OP. The game had some server outages for one day at launch, big fucking deal...
OW 2 is an expansion basically. I dont see ppl making a fus when a MMO expansion is rolled out and some mechanics are changed.
Basically this, the amount of entitlement for a F2P game lol.
You all missed the point.
you don't need to spend money that's the point. the game is free to play
Your time isn't worth anything then? Good luck grinding an unrealistic amount for gameplay features like new characters. (Don't worry, you can pay to unlock straight away.)
All the content you owned in OW1 was transfered and is available for you to use in OW2.

Yes, it's a content patch.

Yes, it's had a rough launch.

Here's a little something for your inconvenience.

I'm missing the big deal here.

If it's a veil for another 5v5 complaint and you're one of those people who laments the loss of a 2 tank meta, I'm just gonna laugh at you.
I actually think 5v5 is one of the only improvements to the game.
Seevers were offline for 2 days, they dont owe you anything, wasnt there fault some freak was DDOS them
The company is worth billions, releases many WoW expansions and somehow still don't know this happens? They should know by now a release will have an increased player count. There's no excuse and they could've added servers, even temporarily.
And those players will complain like fuck that it isn't enough, all while talking to their mates in chat while playing OW2.

You get what you fucking deserve
If you truly care about something you're critical, and I can't just try to enjoy what's left of Overwatch 1? Also, who hurt you?

phil_t98

#SonyToo

Your time isn't worth anything then? Good luck grinding an unrealistic amount for gameplay features like new characters. (Don't worry, you can pay to unlock straight away.)

The company is worth billions, releases many WoW expansions and somehow still don't know this happens? They should know by now a release will have an increased player count. There's no excuse and they could've added servers, even temporarily.

If you truly care about something you're critical, and I can't just try to enjoy what's left of Overwatch 1? Also, who hurt you?

nothing is stopping you from playing the game. simple as that

The issues with this game are getting overblown. Only had server issues on the first two days and that was probably due to the actual DDoS attacks they had. Any bugs that pop up are getting fixed pretty fast. You can have issues with their monetization but don't pretend the game isn't good.
Games really fun. Skins are expensive but they’re optional and have no bearing on the actual game. I think as far as free to play games go this one is fair since all the characters are unlocked with play.

FeralEcho

Did you play battlefield 4 on console at launch? I remember what we got for it, fuck all. Grow up
And yet I can still play Battlefield 4 on my PS5...Hold up,let me boot up Overwatch 1 on my PS5.
Looking League Of Legends GIF by G2 Esports

Oh wait...

Games really fun. Skins are expensive but they’re optional and have no bearing on the actual game. I think as far as free to play games go this one is fair since all the characters are unlocked with play.
I get skins are optional but the amount of time you need to spend playing to earn them is stupid. Not just skins for XP too.

I am having fun with the gameplay itself but I'm likely never going to get any good cosmetics without paying unless I dedicate a lot more time playing the game which I don't have. And when new characters get added I would hope they are easy to obtain but likely they'll be locked at higher levels which makes it more P2W. Also, at the minimum I expect a F2P game to reward you enough coins to purchase the premium battlepass by the end of the season. I can easily do that with Rocket League + Fortnite but it feels almost impossible with OW2.

Cyberpunkd

It’s you who missed the point. The exact point of any F2P game - you trade your time instead of money to get ahead.

This is a general advice in life - always choose money, because you can always earn more. You cannot earn more time. Which is why people insisting on pouring hours into F2P game just so that they don’t pay $5 are suckers, sorry.

Last edited:

Banned
OW2 IS OW1 though. It is just a number they slapped over. Think of it like if Destiny would add a number for every expansion we would at what now 6? It is the same. This OW2 is just a rebranding to attract more players.

it's not just a rebranding, it's a complete shift in monetisation and a completely betrayal of the game's core design principles.

for that last one alone I honestly hope it fails and burns to the ground to hopefully make them rethink the shit they're currently doing over at Blizzard across the board

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Source: Twitter

That’s it?! A single charm and a legendary skin?
With the amount of issues Overwatch has caused this is not near enough. I can already see people typing: “But it’s a $20,- legendary skin” NO IT’S NOT.
You used to pay $40,- for an entire, full game filled with thousands of amazing assets. Now $20,- for a single skin? Absolute insanity, it’s worth €1,- MAX.
How is a company that’s worth billions not able to just rent servers for a launch like this? How is a company worth billions not able to compensate us for their incompetence and our lost time?

This is an absolute joke, and whomever thinks this is acceptable is part of the problem with todays gaming landscape.

Rant over.

Sorry but you’re part of the problem by playing it.

Blizzard knows who they have on the hook.

MiguelItUp

I can guarantee that there ARE folks that didn't play the original OW, so they didn't pay for anything. Got into OW2 for free, and are still complaining. It's definitely common, and it feels ridiculous. I've seen tons of people on Twitter bitch about the content in Fortnite, which as we all know is F2P. So, people are bitching about a F2P game that has received more updates and content (for free) than a ton of other games out there. Hell, some games that were even full price. People are wild.

EDMIX

Seevers were offline for 2 days, they dont owe you anything, wasnt there fault some freak was DDOS them

ohhh was that why it was offline? I thought it was cause some other issue.

They could make it up to me by killing OW2 and bringing back OW1

I'll meet in the middle.

I don't think OW2 should be killed, but I don't think OW1 should have been killed to have 2 take its place...

They could make it up and do the good guy PR thing by just bringing back OW1 and allow both of them to coexist. At least if OW2 is down, the community can just enjoy 1 or something.

Roxkis_ii

Did people who own ow1 pay for it? Yes.
I genuinely don't understand your logic here. Why does blizzard making a paid product suddenly free for everyone mean that the people who have paid for it are no longer entitled to service they've paid for?

You expected your $60 to entitle you to play a service game forever? I think your expectations are unreasonable.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

ohhh was that why it was offline? I thought it was cause some other issue.

I'll meet in the middle.

I don't think OW2 should be killed, but I don't think OW1 should have been killed to have 2 take its place...

They could make it up and do the good guy PR thing by just bringing back OW1 and allow both of them to coexist. At least if OW2 is down, the community can just enjoy 1 or something.
That was the thing I thought was really strange, I'm pretty sure for the longest time they talked about scenarios where OW1 would coexist. But then they went on to sundown it and force everyone into OW2.

tvdaXD

It’s you who missed the point. The exact point of any F2P game - you trade your time instead of money to get ahead.

This is a general advice in life - always choose money, because you can always earn more. You cannot earn more time. Which is why people insisting on pouring hours into F2P game just so that they don’t pay $5 are suckers, sorry.
Except it isn't $5, that'd be cheap. There's no good alternative, on top of seeing how it used to be, this can't be ignored. But don't worry, there's other games that'll release soon and take my time.

You expected your $60 to entitle you to play a service game forever? I think your expectations are unreasonable.
Sure as hell not as short as this. Also, why not release the server for the public if you don't care about your game anymore? Let the public host and play on it.

EDMIX

That was the thing I thought was really strange, I'm pretty sure for the longest time they talked about scenarios where OW1 would coexist. But then they went on to sundown it and force everyone into OW2.

damn thats crazy. I really feel like many wouldn't care that bad if they could just play 1. BF gamers just did that when 2042 launched, just jumped on BFV or BF4 while it was being patched. Now if they closed the servers to BFV or BF1 RIGHT before 2042, that backlash would be much worse as we'd just vent losing a game with every last issue with 2042....and it got a lot of issues lol

And yet I can still play Battlefield 4 on my PS5...Hold up,let me boot up Overwatch 1 on my PS5.
Looking League Of Legends GIF by G2 Esports

Oh wait...

same.

BF4 has a small little following still lol

idgaf about ow1 or ow2. I'm here to laugh at the addicts who piss and moan about how bad something is, but carrying on shooting that same shit into their veins.

Wahh fifa/cod/ow/battlefield is ripping me off. Brb playing fifa/cod/ow/battlefield.

Pathetic addicts get that they deserve.

Rykan

again can you still play overwatch yes. do you need to pay for anything when you play it? no
Have players paid for it? Yes. Does that mean they are currently complaining about something that they got for free? No. Stop this nonsense argument. it's absurd.
How much you paid for it depends entirely on which version of the game you've purchased and how much money you spend on lootboxes. Overwatch is like what, 6 years old? Yeah I do expect to still be able to play a multiplayer game after that. The only exception is when the player base has decreased to such a degree that it makes no sense to keep the servers up. Something which absolutely is not the case with Overwatch, which had and continues to have a healthy player base.

Again, Overwatch 2 is not a new game. Overwatch 2 was originally supposed to have a large PVE component, similar to other live service games like Destiny or Warframe. The game ran into issues during development, which changed the scope of the PVE component and caused a huge delay. The PVP aspect was always meant to be a continuation of OW1, and that is exactly what OW2 is.

tvdaXD

idgaf about ow1 or ow2. I'm here to laugh at the addicts who piss and moan about how bad something is, but carrying on shooting that same shit into their veins.

Wahh fifa/cod/ow/battlefield is ripping me off. Brb playing fifa/cod/ow/battlefield.

Pathetic addicts get that they deserve.
What are you even doing here then, something hurt you I'm sure of it now...
Anyways, in case you missed it;
But don't worry, there's other games that'll release soon and take my time.

Roxkis_ii

How much you paid for it depends entirely on which version of the game you've purchased and how much money you spend on lootboxes. Overwatch is like what, 6 years old? Yeah I do expect to still be able to play a multiplayer game after that. The only exception is when the player base has decreased to such a degree that it makes no sense to keep the servers up. Something which absolutely is not the case with Overwatch, which had and continues to have a healthy player base.

Again, Overwatch 2 is not a new game. Overwatch 2 was originally supposed to have a large PVE component, similar to other live service games like Destiny or Warframe. The game ran into issues during development, which changed the scope of the PVE component and caused a huge delay. The PVP aspect was always meant to be a continuation of OW1, and that is exactly what OW2 is.

You can expect what ever you want. I'm just letting you know that when you bought the game, it was only a license to use the software. They have updated the software. If you don't like it, don't use it. Your complaining here won't change anything.

Rykan

You can expect what ever you want. I'm just letting you know that when you bought the game, it was only a license to use the software. They have updated the software. If you don't like it, don't use it. Your complaining here won't change anything.
I'm not complaining about anything. I'm correcting people who claim that people have not spend money on "OW2" and that they aren't "entitled" to complain about a service they have paid for.

Last edited:

Razvedka

Banned
For free? Nah dude, it cost the entirety of Overwatch 1. This update is a rebrand, not a new game.
As evidenced by the fact that the entirely new and different portion of this 'new game', the single player, is walled off by an additional purchase at some later date. So they transitioned OW1 (MP only), which many people including myself paid for, to a 'free-to-play' OW2 and scrubbed OW1 from existence. You literally can no longer play OW1, there is only OW2.

I think OW2 is much more enjoyable to play, but I'm more than a little irritated that they're trying to pretend its a 'sequel' and force me into their battlepass system. I can no longer unlock most everything via loot crates/boxes by simply playing, I must now pay. It would be less annoying if OW2 was a proper separate release that I must opt into, and OW1 still exists on the store. But there's no choice for the consumer.

What are you even doing here then, something hurt you I'm sure of it now...
Anyways, in case you missed it;
I can't laugh at the people ruining the hobby, or being too addicted and stupid to help themselves? Jerry Springer was built on that idea.

So get back in your box, forum police.

Banned

the characters not being unlocked for EVERYONE from THE START completely ruins the core gamedesign of Overwatch. fuck the game for that alone.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

The thing is it launched last week, ive played 5 days 2 hours a day im on lvl 20 on battlepass, battlepass isnt that much of a grind and if you think it is you should play apex, then you'll no what grinding is, i also havnt brought ow2 battlepass either and ive played nothing but support

Banned
Ehhh, idk many MP games where all the characters are unlocked from the start. I unlocked most of them pretty quickly.

many MP games aren't Overwatch which was designed with the concept of on the fly character counters.

if your enemy team has a Mercy you better have a Widowmaker or Soldier, if you are on certain maps Lucio is king etc.

SCB3

OW2 IS OW1 though. It is just a number they slapped over. Think of it like if Destiny would add a number for every expansion we would at what now 6? It is the same. This OW2 is just a rebranding to attract more players.
Bungie have said that Beyond Light was pretty much where Destiny 3 would be at, so we're in Destiny "3 Expansion 2 " right now

Dynasty8

the characters not being unlocked for EVERYONE from THE START completely ruins the core gamedesign of Overwatch. fuck the game for that alone.

Only for brand new players, not everyone. And as a new player, I actually really liked this decision. I felt overwhelmed as it was when I first started, but the game did a good job on unlocking the rest of the characters little by little (kind of like smash bros does). It only took a couple days and I have all the characters unlocked.

I'm correcting people who claim that people have not spend money on "OW2" and that they aren't "entitled" to complain about a service they have paid for.
What exactly are these people complaining about?

That the game's servers were shitting the bed for 2 days? Ok, it's fixed now, and you got some swag for your troubles, did you expect a blowjob on top of it or something?

I legit don't get what horrible injustice you're rioting against.

If you bought OW1 back in the day, you keep every cosmetic from it and get the new heroes for free. This is just a major patch as far as you're concerned.

Pay-to-play gaas turn F2P when playerbase declines. TF2 did it. CS:GO did it. PUBG did it. Starcraft 2 did it.

You can make an argument that OW1 had healthy player numbers these last couple of years, but my 15+ minutes queue times, which had me and my group quit the game completely out of frustration, would beg to differ.

bender

What time is it?
You had issues with a free-to-play game and you're claiming you're entitled to more free stuff thatn the free stuff they're giving? And you even get pissy about it?

Kid nowadays... 😂

You're right tho. Someone in this thread is definitely "part of the problem with today's gaming landscape." Only, that someone is not who you think they are 😂

Overwatch died for Overwatch 2. Overwatch wasn't free to play.

Top Bottom