• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter Predicts: Xbox One outsold PS4 in September (dance, you puppets)

I know many people who are in similar position to his that knows nothing...

Knowledge/competency is not a requirement to get to high places.

It certainly helps. In most cases to get to the top of your field requires some level of competency.

It's far more common for people who post on gaming forums to know nothing. Doesn't stop them spouting crap though.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
It will be interesting to see how this thread turns out when the figures are released. Will it be a Patcher was wrong thread which I believe he is, I can’t see in what world XB1 out sold PS4 in September and I’m an XB1 owner, no fanboy here. I can see the discussion degrade into a PS4 sold more than XB1 again gloat thread which was not the original purpose of the discussion.

Are there people still annoyed at what MS nearly did with the XB1, surely the fact that MS listened to the feedback and make the changes is a good thing and the consumer got what they wanted, or rather didn’t get what they didn’t want… if you know what I mean! :D

cackhyena

It will be interesting to see how this thread turns out when the figures are released. Will it be a Patcher was wrong thread which I believe he is, I can’t see in what world XB1 out sold PS4 in September and I’m an XB1 owner, no fanboy here. I can see the discussion degrade into a PS4 sold more than XB1 again gloat thread which was not the original purpose of the discussion.

Are there people still annoyed at what MS nearly did with the XB1, surely the fact that MS listened to the feedback and make the changes is a good thing and the consumer got what they wanted, or rather didn’t get what they didn’t want… if you know what I mean! :D
Because they bet on those things they thought were for the best, it resulted in an inferior console. 3 operating systems for that stuff means less resources overall to games. It's some bullshit that will always leave them with games that compete a little behind the curve in one way or another. It's not the end of the world but they fucked up. I wanted a good successor to the 360. The One is not that for me.

I wish more people would praise Pachter for all the intelligent guesses he makes, instead of exclusively focusing on the sensational, silly ones he does for fun.

He does it to himself.

If you are a professional who is paid for your informed opinion, you can't casually weigh in on topics that you are not informed about and then expect everyone to be able to distinguish between the two.

Didn't Gaf ban that Butts guy (forgot the name, the guy that posts here with the weird grammar) for being wrong on a resolution from a game?

If he was banned, it was temporary. He just popped up in the thread about Evil Within being locked to 30FPS on PC and confirmed it before it was official.

JNA

Banned
If he was banned, it was temporary. He just popped up in the thread about Evil Within being locked to 30FPS on PC and confirmed it before it was official.

Yeah I meant that temporary ban. I know he's still around but I do recall him getting banned before which was my point.

Y'all really so spooked at the possibility of this happening that the thread is almost at 3,000 posts?

lol c'mon

There is no possibility. This thread is 3000 posts because someone said something so ridiculous and impossible that it deserves critisicm. Like if some well known game journalist suddenly tweeted that Half-Life 3 was going to be announced tomorrow as a Vita exclusive.

dose

Welcome to how Business works..... Every single product known to man, has changed at some point due to consumer or focus group feedback.
Who is disputing that? The person I replied to stated that many of the reasons people give for hating the Xbone today is stuff that the console doesn't even have. I'm saying that people are giving valid reasons, because if no one challenged them the Xbone would have had all those terrible DRM 'features', and so have a right to be pissed at a company that tried to release a product with them.

Ty4on

There is no possibility. This thread is 3000 posts because someone said something so ridiculous and impossible that it deserves critisicm. Like if some well known game journalist suddenly tweeted that Half-Life 3 was going to be announced tomorrow as a Vita exclusive.

It's a prediction.

Didn't Gaf ban that Butts guy (forgot the name, the guy that posts here with the weird grammar) for being wrong on a resolution from a game?

He was banned as many days as P's he was off in his resolution prediction for Titanfall....I believe he ended up banned for like 31 days...He argued the final game had the same resolution as the beta, it didn't, every P he was off in his resolution, costed him one day...

Smokey

Why is it impossible for the X1 to outsell the PS4 for a month? And if it did...?

Even then its simply a prediction and it has somehow spawned a 3000 post thread. It's as if it is true then people won't know what to do with themselves.

ethomaz

Banned
Why is it impossible for the X1 to outsell the PS4 for a month? And if it did...?

Even then its simply a prediction and it has somehow spawned a 3000 post thread. It's as if it is true then people won't know what to do with themselves.
It is possible but not in the month on the biggest bundle of the year until now.

ryuken-d

One interesting point for me is the element of Destiny having performance parity.

So in this case consumers wanting the game were given option to get it for free with XB1 without having to accept any performance hit.

Although Sony did have exclusive maps for online, something that's proven a draw historically.

Nonetheless I wonder if the game being at parity eroded draw of PS4 version given price difference?

I dont know about the parity of preformance/res/fps but the PS4 version has an extra strike and multi map/s? and believe me having one more strike is a very good thing having to re run them all the time.

Biker19

Banned
TBH Sony as a dominant market leader is not a good idea... they are a company in trouble with money problems. I don't really want them to dominate console gaming... not a lot of innovation that they can bring to the table IMHO. I would like Apple or Samsung to enter the console space, just to spice things up. MS and Sony have both produced rather meh consoles IMHO... they could have done much better.

IMO, there should be companies that are less corrupt if they're going to enter the dedicated console business. Microsoft doesn't cut the mustard...& certainly not Apple.

All this Microsoft hate is so funny considering without them Online gaming on consoles would probably be an utter waste of time.

News flash, online gaming has existed WAY before Xbox Live did. On both consoles & on PC.

I wouldn't cry myself to sleep if MS exited the console space. A faster, leaner and smarter company would come along to fill the vacuum.

would you cry if Sony exited?

This. More people would miss Nintendo & Sony far more than they'll miss MS.

Ty4on

This will very likely be the strongest PS4 month since Christmas so it's fairly unlikely. It would be awesome to see the meltdowns on GAF though :p

Sony said they had their strongest week since Christmas.

I have a feeling GAF will go down if the Xbox One sells more than PS4. Hell, even if PS4 wins September, GAF will be damn busy !!!

Can't wait, i've got beer and popcorn at home to enjoy the show !!!

I think it's more to do with perceived value, the machine is the same price, but less powerful. As Microsoft has bundled software to increase the perceived value, sales go up. Look at each month with bundled software and it's sales numbers...

I think the perceived capabilities of each machine, whether those are realistic or not, play a big role in perceived value as well...However, some are still disappointed in the reveal policies, I'm sure, but I don't think that's nearly the hurdle it once was...

I have a feeling GAF will go down if the Xbox One sells more than PS4. Hell, even if PS4 wins September, GAF will be damn busy !!!

Can't wait, i've got beer and popcorn at home to enjoy the show !!!

Aqua has already started that she sees no way of that happening at all, I think we have to prepare for Pachter to be wrong before we get ready for him to be right....

Smokey

It is possible but not in the month on the biggest bundle of the year until now.

This past month it was impossible because of Destiny.

This will very likely be the strongest PS4 month since Christmas so it's fairly unlikely. It would be awesome to see the meltdowns on GAF though :p

Sony said they had their strongest week since Christmas.

These are fair arguments and were presented in 3 posts. So why is 3000 necessary lol

I think like 6 PM EST for NPD subscribers. We're not getting any numbers until creamsugar shows up.

Earlier. That's when PR comes out. And there are a lot more GAFfers with NPD numbers than just Creamsugar.

What time are the figures released?

That information is always in the NPD Predictions thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=906254

I encourage anyone who hasn't read it...to read it carefully...because there is a lot of intelligent discussion there about the USA retail market.

Aqua has already started that she sees no way of that happening at all, I think we have to prepare for Pachter to be wrong before we get ready for him to be right....

I think Pachter just legitimately forgot about the existence of the White Destiny PS4 bundle.

It's a decent PS4 prediction *if* we didn't have that major bundle this month.

Aren't the NPD's released today? Typically they don't interest me but now I kinda wanna know the figures so I can see if Pachter had any logic behind his reasoning.

What time are the figures released?

PR and all of that will start hitting around 6ET I think, then leaks in the hours after that....

I assume Microsoft and Sony will each have PR this month to gloat about Destiny sales, I think I get more hyped for PR statement spin than the actual numbers.....

Pachter is in a position of power. As much as he is discounted here, his predictions carry much more weight than others. When he says something, even "just for fun", people pay attention.

When he said that X1 would outpace PS4 in September (a month with a massive media push for Destiny was present only for PS4), it raises a lot of red flags.

People aren't worried. People are skeptical.

Smokey

Pachter is in a position of power. As much as he is discounted here, his predictions carry much more weight than others. When he says something, even "just for fun", people pay attention.

When he said that X1 would outpace PS4 in September (a month with a massive media push for Destiny was present only for PS4), it raises a lot of red flags.

People aren't worried. People are skeptical.

So in other words he's a professional troll on the side and the bait is taken every time

Earlier. That's when PR comes out. And there are a lot more GAFfers with NPD numbers than just Creamsugar.

That information is always in the NPD Predictions thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=906254

I encourage anyone who hasn't read it...to read it carefully...because there is a lot of intelligent discussion there about the USA retail market.

I think Pachter just legitimately forgot about the existence of the White Destiny PS4 bundle.

It's a decent PS4 prediction *if* we didn't have that major bundle this month.

I said the exact same thing in this thread as well....I think he spaced it, and the Destiny Bundle numbers will be the real difference in his prediction and the actual Total PS4 NPD sales...

Corto

He does it to himself.

If you are a professional who is paid for your informed opinion, you can't casually weigh in on topics that you are not informed about and then expect everyone to be able to distinguish between the two.

But there is a very clear distinction. If you had to pay for it, it's rock solid, if it was free of charge, take it with a grain of salt.

Call me what you want m8 but this in order to prevent cheating is legit actually and both games you have there are still MP focused. If the next mainline Elder Scrolls or something like that is online only with 24h checks you have a point.

See you twist facts and shift your perspective as you go along.
Let me ask you this:
- you buy Destiny at the store for 60€
- your internet is down due to maintenance for 4 days
- you are not able to use your 60€ property in any way

All the Single Player mission content is on your HD and Bungie could let you play but won't.
On 2K14 you could only do friendlies when offline.

You OK with that?

To me this is the exactly same shit that everybody was so worried about back then when the new DRM system was proposed and everybody went crazy about it.

Of course it is NOT the same as MS DRM plans were, but in the end, you get the same result as a game owner.

OMG, HALF-LIFE 3 CONFIRMED!!111!

But there is a very clear distinction. If you had to pay for it, it's rock solid, if it was free of charge, take it with a grain of salt.

Subscribers pay for his investment recommendations, which are ALWAYS rock-solid.

Video game sales predictions are a completely extra, bonus thing he does for fun.

So in other words he's a professional troll and the bait is taken every time

Pretty much.

He knows that his words carry weight, and he throws things like this out there with little to no evidence or sound reasoning.

So he is either a professional troll or a dolt.

Personally, because he is taken seriously by people with fuckloads of money, I lean towards professional troll.

Top Bottom